Best Buy Pulls A Rare Move And Actually Makes A Customer Happy

We get a lot of customer service complaints about Best Buy. So much so, that when a piece of reader mail comes in commending them for doing something good, well, it’s an event that needs to be remarked upon. That’s where James comes in.

He wrote in about a good experience he had at a Best Buy near Baltimore, and felt he should share the warm and fuzzy feeling, as he knows we do a lot of horror stories involving the store. Take it away, James!

I came in to get a GPS hiking unit for my brother. I found the unit cheaper at REI, but I had a combined $30 in rewards to Best Buy that I wanted to use. A young sales rep named C. found the price online and matched it for me, saving me $15. He then proceeded to try and enter all of my coupons and we hit a few snags.

Due to some issues on their side with the computers, and my side with accidentally re-printing the same coupon twice, it took about 20 minuets to finally complete my sale. I was patient and did not mind, but I really appreciated the efforts of both C. and his manager. C. had to attempt to complete my complex sale on multiple registers, with a flurry of Christmas shopper activity around him. He never left my attention and both he and [manager] A. were constantly apologetic for the errors in their system. A. even gave me an additional $10 off for being patient.

I know Best Buy gets a lot of crap, sometimes rightfully so for their corporate policies or individual managerial decisions, but here are two guys who really made my shopping better and worked hard on a resolution for me.

Perhaps it’s just one small drop in the Best Buy bucket, but the bottom line is, we’re always glad to report positive experiences, rare and surprising though they may be.

Comments

1. HomerSimpson says:

Pool on how soon “A” and “C” are disciplined and/or terminated?

2. Cat says:

One small drop in the Best Buy bucket, but still a long way to the top.

• finbar says:

It’s more of a water tower than a bucket.

• CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

And you both are ridiculous if you believe that the few stories that end up on here are indicative of the millions of transactions that occur daily across this country and others.

3. simonvii says:

Best Buy employees take a lot of crap from customers. It seems like every time I go in someone’s mad at an employee for something they likely had nothing to do with; an issue with an online order or the customer’s mad about the customer service reps on the phone, etc. Usually I have a fine time shopping there.

• Kamrom says:

Im glad it works out for you. So now, how is this relevant to the story at hand? Wouldnt it be better to post your comment in one of the threads complaining about best buy, rather than in one of the few praising it?

4. Rachacha says:

Updating the Tally chart:

Good Experiences with Best Buy:
    I

Bad Experiences with Best Buy:
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Good experience noted.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

I want to knock the first ‘|’ with my mouse pointer and make the rest fall down. Computers have a long way to go…

• Rachacha says:

Ask ad you shall recieve:
        ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

• dolemite says:

Lol.

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

A couple years ago I sent an email with a list of great experiences I had with Best Buy. They thanked me for my submission and never posted it.
      I will never buy a computer from Best Buy after reading the stories on here. However, my experiences with Best Buy have all been positive.

5. final_atom says:

miracles do happen.

6. CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

The rarity is not how often it happens, it’s how often it’s reported.

7. seth_lerman says:

Tomorrow we’ll get a story about a Christmas shopper who was upset at how slowly things were going because 2 Best Buy employees spent WWAAAYYYYY too much time with 1 customer.

8. Dallas_shopper says:

Wow…that’s awesome of them! :-D

9. LRM216 says:

Just wanted to add that my Best Buy, located in Smyrna, GA – has never let me down – ever. I oftentime have cringed at reading other’s misfortunes and mishaps with their neighboring Best Buy. Price matches have been painless and once had a complaint with a malfunctioning DSL – and they switched it out – no hassle, no pain. So, feel a shout out to my Best Buy is in order here!

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I have had all good experiences with Best Buy as well.
      An example: I didn’t have accidental coverage on a digital camera i bought from Best Buy, but when I took it in to the Geek Squad and told them I dropped it the guy said: “I didn’t hear you say that” and typed into the file that the problem was normal wear and tear. They couldn’t fix my camera, so I ended up with a shiny, new camera a week or so later!

10. Microxot says:

I recently purchased a refrigerator at a “Pacific Sales” store within the Best Buy store in Frisco, Tx. I was assured I’d get my points which never showed up. It took two calls to Best Buy and a re-visit to the “Pacific Sales” within the store, but they credited me the points. It seems my # was entered wrong during the original sale. Everyone was very helpful and assured me we’d get it corrected.

11. dush says:

Just go to REI. You can return for any reason.

12. greggorthechamp says:

I recently bought 2 60″ Sharp quattron TV’s, plus 5 in ceiling speakers & installation from Best Buy, and had a great experience. The salesman knew the products, the installers were professional, and when the TV’s went down in price by $100 each, they refunded the difference without batting an eye. Plus I got everything for 36 months no interest, which is just awesome. I will not use the full 3 years to pay everything off, but it’s nice to know I could if I wanted to. I also got $130 in Best Buy rewards, which I used to buy a fancy Harmony One remote for my new setup.

13. wiggie2gone says:

A drop of water in a desert will only last for mere moments.

14. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

James is other wise known as the Best Buy manager the redacted store.

15. Jawaka says:

Just further proof that you shouldn’t judge an entire company based on the actions of individual employees. Not all Best Buy employees would go above and beyond like these apparently did but they’re not all incompetent asshats like people here would like us to believe either.

16. Nunov Yerbizness says:

I wonder what that nauseating picture of somebody’s spawn with food smeared disgustingly all over its face had to do with this story.

17. ARVash says:

AUGH, it’s sales reps like this that keep best buy alive. :/

18. cheezfri says:

Always glad to report positive experiences, Consumerist? I was tired of seeing all the negative Best Buy publicity and wrote in with my very positive experience. I haven’t seen it posted here. Oh well, maybe if I keep submitting ALL my future Best Buy experiences, they’ll post it someday. Maybe my local store is a fluke. And the one a few miles down the road. And the one a few miles the other way…

19. skakh says:

The Best Buy employee who assisted this customer will likely be quickly identified and fired. No way Best Buy allows a customer to be happy without punishing someone.

20. britswim04 says:

GPS units are typically reported as revenue for the Car Audio (formerly “Mobile,” which is now strictly phones, if that makes any sense) which is typically a hard goal for most Best Buy’s to meet due to one good sale fucking up the metrics for a long while.

They wanted to meet goal for a departement, simple as that.