Bank Robber Scares Himself Silly By Shooting His Gun At The Ceiling, Flees Without Cash

It’s a bad day on the ol’ robbery job when you foil your own attempt to steal money. The FBI is on the lookout for a man who scared himself so badly while waiting for the money he was trying to rob, he fled the scene with nothing to show for it but a set of rattled nerves.

The New York Daily News says the man was caught on camera when he walked into an HSBC bank, pulled out a small silver pistol and demanded a teller give him cash.

While waiting for the teller to go about handing over the dough, seems Mr. Wannabe Bank Robber got bored, and fired off a shot into the ceiling, say cops. Everyone dropped to the ground, and the guy panicked and ran out of the bank.

He jumped into a black Lincoln Town car, which could’ve been driven by a cabbie who may have had no idea his passenger was a criminal.

“We are looking for livery drivers who may have been in the area to give us a call. We believe this could lead us to this dangerous suspect. Anytime a weapon is fired, the potential for injury and loss of life has to be taken seriously,” said FBI supervisory agent Barbara Daly.

The same man might have been behind another recent robbery, where he did manage to escape with some cash.

Long Island City bank robber panicked after he fired his gun at the ceiling [New York Daily News]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

That robber may not have stolen money, but he stole a few laughs!

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

And thusly, my heart

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

[Cue swell of violins, featuring Skrillex]

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Have you checked out the new Korn album?

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

I have no, am I right to assume that it feat. Skrillex?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

In fact, it does! Now, I haven’t listened to Korn in ages (since they were, you know, relevant) but I saw a single of Korn feat. Skrillex. Then the new album drops, and most tracks are Korn + an electronic artist. Kinda like the Spawn movie soundtrack (hope that doesn’t make me sound old!).

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

I am intrigued by this, OMG Follow The Leader was SICK. I remember rocking out so hard to that when I was in high school. LOL teenage rebellion.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I was in the very very very front when Korn came on stage at Woodstock ’99. They opened with Blind, and I was immediatly knocked to the ground :P

• Exceptional Vampire Does Not Sparkle says:

Skrillex? SHAME ON YOU! (this is my rage voice bout you not knowing how to find decent dubstep)

• Difdi says:

And at his execution, they should replace the standard gas mix with nitrous oxide.

2. Coffee says:

The headline of this article is a metaphor for my sex life.

3. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

“Anytime a weapon is fired, the potential for injury and loss of life has to be taken seriously,” said FBI supervisory agent Barbara Daly.

By the time the weapon is fired, it’s too late. Unless Superman’s around.

Is there some law that says government spokesfolks have to talk like buffoons?

• Kamrom says:

Its legal language. Using those words cannot get them sued.

• lucky13 says:

Cops gotta make themselves sound important, even necessary, or we might remember that we don’t need most of them interfering in our lives.

• Kamaria says:

Yeah, I know what they mean here, but was there any real danger if the guy just shot into the ceiling?

Honestly the danger comes more from the presence of the gun itself than his actual actions. It’s not like he actually shot at anyone, god forbid.

• Conformist138 says:

See “Celebratory Gunfire”. Yes, people can be killed or injured even when you’re not aiming for them. They’re “accidents” in that way, but preventable by just not firing guns outside a range.

4. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

It’s cool, bro, loud noises scare me too :(

5. dolemite says:

I’m imagining Tracy Morgan running to and fro right after the gun goes off. “They shootin! They shootin!” then runs out the door.

6. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

I gotta see the tape on this one. ;-D

7. Dave B. says:

Seems you have worry as much about the bad guys that might accidentally shoot you as the ones that would do it on purpose.

8. dakeypoo says:

I remember my first time robbing a bank…

Disclaimer: I have never robbed a bank, and the above comment is designed only for comedic value.

9. HogwartsProfessor says:

This made both me and my bf crack up. Thanks for the laugh!

10. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah something movies are less than accurate about is that handguns are incredibly loud. You don’t get a small pop or a satisfying kapow sound. It’s more like a BARiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg that continues as tinnitus for several minutes.

• atomix says:

Especially if he was dumb enough to fire with his head in line of sight of the end of the barrel – like a starter pistol but at shoulder level.

11. atomix says:

Who knows, maybe he’s kinda smart. I bet the severity of any criminal charge increases severely after a shot is fired. Maybe he fired it by accident and decided the risk was no longer worth the possible reward. Or maybe he’s just awful.