Make Your Own Captain America Shield At Home

Who needs to plunk down hard-earned cash for a cheap plastic Captain America shield for a Halloween costume? It’s probably going to break before the end of the night anyway. Instead, make your own at home!

Mlive rounded up five different ways to make a Captain America shield using stuff you might find around the house, garage, and neighborhood. They have instructions for making it out of a used satellite dish, a barbecue grill, a kitchen pot lid, and a steel saucer sled.

But my favorite one is the one made out of duct tape and cardboard, because that one actually flies!

Just print out the PDF and then get cracking with some flat pieces of thick double-ply cardboard, scissors and a glue gun. Don’t forget the iconic colors, those are created with red, white, and blue duct tape.

DIY Captain America on the cheap… save money on your Halloween costume and make a statement about our economic climate at the same time.

5 ways to make a Captain America shield using household items (with video) [Mlive]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Easiest. Costume prop. Ever.

2. Coffee says:

I’m waiting for a site to show me how to make a functional Infinity Gauntlet out of an old mitten and some glitter.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

I want to use it on my childhood bullies!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

That’s fine so long as your arrogance allows for a highly improbable tactic by all the world’s heroes to defeat your omnipotent butt and take it from you, subsequently disassembling it and storing at least one gem in a midget’s butt.

• sumocat says:

Use an oven mitt, gold paint, and six jelly beans. Oh, and keep dreaming.

3. [censored] says:

I buy my Captain America shields in the store.

4. podunkboy says:

Anyone have any tips on how to get Capt. America’s BODY?

5. TheMansfieldMauler says:

No trashcan lid version? I am disappoint.

6. Cat says:

Nope. Not dressing as a super hero. Real men never, ever dress in tights.

Unless you are dressing as Ace or Gary. http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/ambiguously_gay_duo.jpg

7. Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

For Halloween I’m going as a shut in. I made my own costume at home.

8. dave731 says:

Then you can go as Captain America “Recession Fighter”

9. dolemite says:

I would make my own shield at home, but I’m low on vibranium and adamantium.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

• Taed says:

I was going to leave a similar comment, but you beat me to it…

Wakanda has an export restriction on vibranium, but you can usually get around that with eBay.

10. pecan 3.14159265 says:

You know the best motivation for having a really good costume for Halloween is that it might just be the year Ethan Rayne turns everyone into their costume. Woe be to the guy dressed as a hot dog.

11. Quake 'n' Shake says:

I always use adamantium when making my shields at home.

12. YouDidWhatNow? says:

1. Find Wakanda.
    2. Forge trade agreement with T’Challa (aka the Black Panther)
    3. Acquire some Vibranium
    4. Use the power of a million exploding suns to pound the vibranium into the desired shape (*maybe* the Sentry could do that)
    5. Paint it
    6. Foil crime

• dolemite says:

Scott Kurtz asked his dad (whom I think is a retired engineer) what he thought about the Capt. America movie. His dad pointed out it didn’t make sense that the vibranium absorbed force/sound/etc exerted against it (hence making it indestructable) BUT that the shield could also ricochet off walls (as that force should be absorbed and the shield just falls to the ground).

13. kobresia says:

Oh, the steel saucer sled would fly just fine too. And do nontrivial damage to anybody in its path! I used to have one of those back in the late 70s. I kind of assumed they’d been banned as unsafe toys. Even losing one on the slope could be dangerous for anyone downslope. I didn’t throw mine as a Cap’n America impersonation, I just recognized it as a huge steel frisbee. It didn’t fly terribly well because I wasn’t strong enough to hurl it all that far, but I did manage to smash more than one thing up with it!

14. Ouze says:

Indeed, why buy a $14 shield off of Amazon when you could buy a $30 sled, some heavy duty paint stripper, and 3 cans of spray paint to make your own that would look nearly as good?

15. Clyde Barrow says:

I am making a “Captain Stabbin” outfit for Halloween this year.