Cell Phone Company With Only 1 Million Customers To Get iPhone 4S

Until a few minutes ago, most of us had barely heard of C Spire Wireless, even by its previous name of Cellular South. Regardless, the wireless provider with only about a million customers announced today that it is now taking orders for the iPhone 4S.

If true, this would mean that the nation’s eighth-largest wireless provider would be getting the iPhone before much bigger players like T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular.

Heck, Sprint finally got the iPhone only after committing to purchasing a reported 30 million of them over the next four years.

C Spire Wireless To Offer iPhone 4S [Cspire.com via Philadelphia Inquirer]

Comments

1. Eagle Eye says:

Never heard of C Spire, so not sure why I should care.

• drjayphd says:

How about because a small carrier’s providing another option for customers? Want an iPhone but don’t care for AT&T, Verizon or Sprint? There you go.

(and so help me, if this was just an excuse to launch into a Droid rant, I WILL TURN THIS INTERNET AROUND RIGHT NOW…)

2. Exceptional Vampire Does Not Sparkle says:

Probably because they can make a bigger profit because these smaller companies are desperate for the magnificent magical iPhone.

3. shadowsurfr1 says:

The thing about T-mobile is that if the iPhone in its current form went to that carrier, you’d only get 2G (EDGE) speeds. For some reason, Apple hasn’t used a GSM chip that can work on T-Mobile’s network at 3G speeds.

• MikeHerbst says:

This continues to bum me out to no end. I would LOVE to upgrade my wife’s iPhone 3G (jailbroken on T-Mo), but the added cost just to be stuck with EDGE is impossible to justify.

4. Nick says:

Apple is going to sell unlocked iphone 4s in November.

5. Herbz says:

I think its kinda sad that the EIGHTH LARGEST cell phone provider in the country is one no one has heard of… kinda speaks for the state of the industry. (damn quad-opolies?)

• JosephFinn says:

An excellent point.

• shanelee24 says:

Can you name the eighth largest grocery chain in the US? How about car manufacturer that retails car here? What about B and M electronics chains? Or gas stations. How about other countries. Whats the fourth largest wireless carrier in France? How many chains and operators do you need? What is it that makes you think twenty wireless carriers would change things? Most countries only have a couple carriers and do just fine. I submit that quantity is not the problem with the state of our industries in the US, and for the life of me I will never understand this line of reasoning. There are so many logistical problems with having an overabundance of options it isnt even funny. Im not trying to make fun of you, or troll, but I find this line of reasoning greatly flawed.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

Even if i can’t name the 8th largest grocery/electronics/vehicle retailer, i have probably at least heard of it.

6. kiltman says:

Interesting plan options with CSpire. $50 for 500 minutes Infinite data, messaging and M2M. Looks like apple is giving an edge to a small provider who is charging reasonable rates.
    Family choice plans are $60 for 2k minutes with the rest infinite. I am paying $60 just for the two data plans on my account! Hope they pick up a few more customers!

• dale says:

They’re CDMA. Does that mean I can get a plan with them and, since I live in NYC, basically enjoy Verizon’s network at a discount?

7. ecuador says:

I don’t get it. In small European countries, tiny carriers carry iphones. Why can’t T-Mobile carry it? They do have 2.1GHz 3G which Iphone supports, so what is the problem?

• LoadStar says:

The current iPhone only supports 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies.

T-Mobile USA does use the 850 and 1900 MHz frequencies, but only for 2G EDGE speeds. They operate their 3G HSPA+ network on their AWS 1700/2100 MHz frequencies, which the iPhone do not support.

• ecuador says:

The iphone 4 is listed as: Quad-band UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850 900 1900 2100 MHz), doesn’t that mean the 2.1GHz T-Mobile 3G should be fine? What am I missing? Is T-Mobile only really using 1.7GHz?

8. dolemite says:

Weird, as Sprint seemed to have to fight tooth and nail for it.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Sprint didn’t need to fight… they just don’t give a fudge about their customers wants. They stole my motto: “Its not when you want it, its when I want to give it to you.”

9. Bluth_Cornballer says:

Since iPhone is available for Sprint now, I was hoping Virgin Mobile would soon follow. Would be nice to have an iPhone for $35 a month.

10. Traveller says:

There are a whole bunch of these smaller cellular companies. Some are filling pricing niches which seems to be the case with C Spire, others are operating in rural areas that have been passed over by the larger carriers. It would be wonderful news for these smaller carriers if they could get in on the iPhone frenzy.

Here is a link to the association that represents these smaller carriers: http://www.rca-usa.org/

They are calling for the FCC to ban exclusivity arrangements on phones with carriers, something that is probably near and dear to many consumerist readers.

11. ConsumerA says:

“Only a million”

Last I checked, a million was a pretty substantial number.

12. kyras says:

I’ve heard of it, but I’m from Mississippi. They were my first carrier for the longest time until I sold my soul to AT&T for an iphone.

13. touayang says:

haha…I was with Verizon, then I switched to At&T because I wanted an iPhone so bad. Turns out, I don’t need it that bad at all. $30 a month for a limited data plan…..that sucks. It’s because of the iPhone that most carriers now are killing the unlimited data plans. I rather stay with At&T because Verizon’s plans are much more expensive, plus you can’t just buy an unlocked phone and put your SIM card in it.

For AT&T, I have the unlimited family data plan ($10 per line). I have an Unlocked Android phone and I’m able to get unlimited HSPA+. I have tethering enabled and life is good when I’m on the road.

14. Justin D. Morgan says:

I want the iPhone 4S, but I’m not happy with the current three carrier choices in my area. So I’ll just keep my out-of-contract 3GS.

If C Spire is getting iPhones, then perhaps there’s a chance U.S. Cellular will at some point, too. I was happy with their service, but switched due to a lack of acceptable smart phones. (I think at the time I switched, they only had BlackBerry as an option…)