iPhone Owners Complaining About Yellow Screens Again

Back in 2008, Apple faced a minor controversy when some iPhone 3G owners complained of yellow screens. Well, everything old is new again, as the screens on some iPhone 4S devices have buyers seeing yellow.

Unlike the 2008 issue, which was more pronounced, these iPhone 4s users are talking about screen images looking washed out and complaining that the whites have a yellowish tint.

Writes one user on the Apple forums:

My 4S screen is less contrasty, and the whites are more yellow (beyond “warm”) compared to my iPhone 4 screen. The colors are less vibrant, and some are pretty washed out. I’ve also noticed that the screen is more directional than the 4 screen, and in some viewing angles it’s more yellow, and in others it’s more contrasty.

Some believe the yellowish tint may be due to glue that has not completely dried. If so, the color issue should go away on its own.

In previous instances of genuinely yellow iPhones and iPads, Apple has been known to replace the devices with ones that don’t have the jaundiced tint.

If your iPhone 4S is looking a bit ill, Cnet suggests you give it time to see if it is indeed a glue problem. If it doesn’t clear up, you’ll probably want to give Apple a call or head over to the Apple Store to show them in person.

iPhone 4S users seeing yellow screen tint [cnet]

iPhone 4S screen tint [Apple Discussion Forums]

Comments

1. deathbecomesme says:

Lets all hope Apple does right by these customers. Lets hope their “customer first” attitude wasn’t buried with SJ

• The Twilight Clone says:

You talking about that “customer first” attitude that allows users to replace their own batteries? Or add a storage card?

• deathbecomesme says:

I don’t agree with all their policies but they do seem to have a better phone replacement program than some other providers. For example when my Samsung Omnia crapped out twice I had to wait 2 days for a replacement from my insurance provider. The first replacement crapped out within the same week and I had to wait for Monday for it to be shipped. With Apple if the phone is covered under warranty then it gets replaced on the spot.

FYI, I’m not an apple customer. I don’t own any apple product. I just know a better system when I see it.

• Rachacha says:

No, I am talking about the Customer first attitude that allowed my spouse to replace her 3 year old iPhone 3G after it suffered water damage (water in a cup holder shorted out the dock connector contacts) for $50, without having to pay any activation fee and without having to re-up on a contract, and then a week later going in to have the replacement replaced free of charge after it decided to take a swim in the pool (it was a bad week).

In both cases, the phone was out of warranty, and the damage was completely our fault, but Apple reps had the authority to take action that would keep us happy.

How about when we pre-ordered the 4S we were told that both of our phones would arrive on Friday October 14, unfortunately only one phone arrived. We received a call from Apple (completely unprompted by us) apologizing for the error that the second phone was accidentally not shipped, giving is a $50 credit and shipping the phone to us overnight, Saturday AM delivery.

Apple may not be perfect, but they TRY to keep their customers happy which is more than many other companies.

I am not an Apple Fan boy…the only Apple product I own is my iPhone. (and prior to that a first gen iPod Nano…which still works fine 6+ years later

• Ihmhi says:

hahahahaha…

Job’s only “first” policy was “Profits, IP, and Control First”.

Customers First! Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha…

Oh man, that’s a good one.

• agraham999 says:

JD Power and Associates 2011 Top Smartphone company…

Apple

2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006…

Apple

2. Cat says:

Those would be the iPhones that poor Chinese workers pissed on.

3. dush says:

Congrats to all the early adopters out there.

• The Lone Gunman says:

We appreciate their commitment to the Beta-test cycle.

• Rachacha says:

How is purchasing an incremental update to the previous version being an early adopter? All of the changes from the 4 to the 4S were internal… Better camera, faster processor and software update. I suspect that the issue is simply the glue not having time to completely dry and Apple pushing out the products as fast as possible to try to meet demand. ( comment submitted on my iPhone 4S without a yellow screen. )

• Belloc says:

… because they purchased it basically as soon as it was released?

I mean, that’s pretty much the definition of early adopter :P

• dush says:

So you’re saying they are even dumber for waiting in line in the weather for just an incremental update rather than an actual new product.
        I see your point.

• Portlandia says:

Congrats on the holier than thou attitude!

• Jawaka says:

While it may sound that way there is something to be said about waiting until the reviews are out on a technology product instead of camping out at a company’s front door to give them money for it. Its not as if this is the first (or 100th) time that brand new technology had glitches.

4. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

There is a simple fix for glue that hasn’t dried yet:

Place your iPhone on the center rack of your oven. Turn the temperature to 375° (No more, anything higher than 375° might damage your iPhone!) and leave it for 15 minutes. Then remove the iPhone (careful, it might be hot!) and place it in the freezer for 1 hour. Repeat this several times, and your glue will be dry, and your screen will no longer be yellow.

• katarzyna says:

Oooh, great idea, I’ll try that right away!

• Geekybiker says:

Make sure you wait until the crust is golden brown and the center is all bubbly.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

It goes well with whipped cream drizzled with strawberry syrup. Om nom nom.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

But where do I put the oven thermometer to make sure the inside gets to at least 165 degrees? I don’t want to risk getting food poisoning.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’ve got a 4S and I don’t notice any yellowy tint. I’m typing an email, so I definitely get a good view of the white screen. I hope it doesn’t start happening, but like with the 3G (I didn’t get a yellow screen then, either) it seems to be limited to some phones, and not all of them.

I don’t know about the washed out look, but the colors on my phone seem very crisp. Then again, I was previously using a 3G so it’s not like I can compare adequately. I wish I could see the photos people posted on the Apple discussion.

6. Vanilla5 says:

I just upgraded from an Original iPhone (yeah, I was one who stood in line for 13 hours on Day 1 for it) to an iPhone 4S. The Original iPhone has had yellowing on the right side of the screen since ’09 or so (not really that big of a deal – it wasn’t extensive). So far, nothing like that with the 4S.

Your best bet is to never, ever leave your phone (any phone – not just an iPhone) face-up into sunlight. I’ve always noticed the yellowing was more prominent after my phone had been exposed to sunlight and then went away as the phone cooled. Just an observation and tidbit for saving phone screens.

7. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

It’s great they will replace them…after spending time fighting with them while you could have been playing Angry Birds. The point being, you shouldn’t have to call them…this shouldn’t be happening!

8. Such an Interesting Monster says:

Well maybe next time you won’t be so stupid as to buy the damned thing on the day it’s released. Sometimes you should just wait to see what kind of problems crop up after a few weeks or {gasp} even months.

Silly me, what was I thinking? How could all these people hold their heads up high amongst their friends and colleagues if they didn’t have that shiny new iPhone 4S on the day of release! How would they explain their lack of hip and/or cool? How could they ever cope with being such a social pariah!?!?

• nicless says:

Dude, I don’t like iphones as much as the next guy… but don’t hate on people who need things day 1. We can’t help it. It’s an unhealthy obsession.

9. Coffee says:

You’re looking at it wrong.

-Ghost of Steve

10. ben_marko says:

My new iPhone is just fine.

11. archangel09 says:

Geez, you’re supposed to put the phone down or in your pocket before you urinate.

12. Daggertrout says:

My 4S had a noticeably bluer tint than my 3GS. It’s not as noticeable without looking side by side but it still looks kinda off.

13. LocalH says:

Apple should offer an option to have the color balance dynamically change (in a slow, gentle fashion) based on the time of day. I’ve been running an app called f.lux on my iPod touch (works on iOS5 but requires jailbreaking) which adjusts the color balance towards the warmer side at night. I find it to be much more pleasing on the eye, so much so that looking at a “normal” screen at night immediately looks too blue. I also run f.lux on my PC and (albeit anecdotally) it seems I have less headaches now than I did before. I know, correlation ≠ causation, but I can’t peg the change on anything else personally.