93,000 PSN Accounts Suspended After Latest Attack

PlayStation announced they’ve suspended 93,000 PSN accounts after the latest attack against their network.

The console maker said that they had detected a test of a “massive” set of IDs and passwords against their database. It appeared to be a set gleaned from an outside source and the crackers were testing to see if they could gain access to gamer accounts.

As a precaution, PSN has locked the affected accounts and is requiring password resets on them. “Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked” wrote Philip Reitinger, Sony’s Chief Information Security Officer, on their blog. PSN will email the affected account holders directly.

In an improvement over past breach attempts, PlayStation quickly updated their community after the attack and posted a transparent account of what occurred.

An Important Message From Sony’s Chief Information Security Officer [PlayStation Blog] (Thanks to Anti!)

Comments

1. Murbobby says:

I’ve been considering purchasing my first gaming console since I owned a Nintendo64 over a decade ago.
    The playstation 3 was at the top of our list due to the free online gaming. We also considered an xbox.

Any advice? I’m most interested in first-person-shooter type games.

• dolemite says:

PS3 if you were more into RPG/Adventure, Xbox if you like FPS more.

• Andreth says:

I have both a 360 and a ps3. Play both, love both. Have a launch system for the 360 and my ps3 is from a year after launch. Also just bought a new 360 (so BF and I can play different games at the same time).

That said, I usually use my PS3 as a blu-ray player. I only buy games for it if it is an exclusive that I can’t get on 360. The $60 a year (but really not, since it’s easy to avoid paying full price) for an xbox live gold account is worth it to me for the service. It’s seamless. But that, right there, is the decision you need to make for yourself.

I haven’t had bad experiences with Xbox. Other people have. In our house, we have 2 Xbox 360s, 2 Gold memberships, and a good deal of purchased content. We have a PS3 that we mostly use for God of War.

If you’re looking for first person shooters it comes down to whether you’d prefer to have Halo or Killzone as the exclusive you have access to.

• Murbobby says:

While I have learned that the 360 has more games, I’m miffed at the idea of having to pay for a subscription just to connect to someone else for online gaming.
        Connecting to my friend down the street and setting up 4 person play (my wife, me, him, his wife) within a first person shooter is what I am interested in doing mostly.

More comments are very much appreciated.

• ohhhh says:

What do your friends have? Many pick their game consoles based on what their friends play, nearly all of mine are on PS3, and since it also plays blu-ray and and there are no fees for the online, I have gone with the PS3.

• bethshanin says:

Exact same situation here. Have both, but use Xbox 90% of the time unless watching blu-ray or playing exclusive to PS3 games (God of war series worth buying a PS3 for alone IMHO). Xbox is more “fun” to just dink around in. Videos, movie rentals, music, facebook, the arcade zone where I can load up Galaxia real quick… Get the clip-on-to-your-controller keyboard to save a lot of frustration.

PS3 to me is a turn on, load the game and play. Xbox I can get lost for hours just dinking around.

• deathbecomesme says:

If you like playing with friends or others via Online then you should pick up the 360. If you like playing campaigns or single player then PS is the way to go especially if you don’t have a bluray player yet

• Murbobby says:

Are you saying the ps3 won’t let me connect to my buddy down the road to kick his rear end in a goldeneye007 style game? That’s mostly what I want to do.

• ohhhh says:

your description is over simplified and patently false, I play games with my friends practically every day on the PS3.

• theblackdog says:

Xbox 360, unless you want to support a company that wants to put one-time use codes for online play and DLC in all video games to prevent re-selling games.

• Murbobby says:

One time use codes? DLC ?
        Please elaborate. I don’t know what that means. Sounds like I can only play a game online once?? but that doesn’t make sense.

• Andreth says:

I think this is referring to the practices of Ubisoft and other game companies to include an “online play pass” that can only be used for one user (not one session). Thus, if the game is purchased used, the buyer has to pay $10 to purchase one of those passes. It is to discourage used sales (or to support the online play servers, etc), but it has nothing to do with the PS3.

Sony may do this with their first party titles, but it is true of Ubisoft, THQ and others who publish for multiple platforms.

• NashuaConsumerist says:
        • raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

DLC is “DownLoadable Content” … it’s usualy optional extensions to a game, in the form of new missions/quests, new characters, new weapons/armor/accessories, or things along those lines. These often cost money; depending on the title, with $10 being a common price point.

For the most part, you can only access DLC if you connect your system to the internet. Xbox360, as far as I know, still requires a corded connection, with the wireless adapter being stupid-expensive, whereas PS3’s wireless is built in. Some games do release “DLC Disks” which can be purchased and installed to your console, without needing to go online. (Corded connections are generally faster and more reliable for online play though.)

Gaming companies have taken to adding incentives to gamers to encourage them to only buy new titles, and to not buy games used, in the form of access codes for free bonus content. It seems that with the move to limit online access to one user account per game copy, Sony is taking it from an “incentive to buy new” to an outright “penalty for buying used.”

Personally, I prefer gaming on the PC. Spent a few years on consoles, but PC gaming is a great deal more customizable, and much easier to keep updated with game patches. And in a PC game, I am often able to “make my own fixes” if the game company released something broken.

• Kuri says:

And EA is already doing that on BOTH.

• NashuaConsumerist says:

Also think about how you buy your games. Sony plans to introduce a model that in order to play online you need to have purchased the game new to use a code to ‘register’ it for online play. (http://consumerist.com/2011/10/sony-says-all-future-sony-games-will-require-code-to-play-online.html) I buy most of my games second hand at decent discounts (I know some people have issues with Gamestop, but I love them and the savings I can get buying used games but I never sell them back because i never feel they offer enough). Now I own both an xbox and PS3, and have tended to lean towards xbox 360 as more of my friends have them allowing more multiplayer options for me, but moving forward I’ll be focusing on xbox as the money I save on game titles far exceed the cost of Xbox live (I have a gold ‘family pack’ that allows 4 people 12 months for $100 and I have 3 others in my house that play equaling $25 each)

• CoachTabe says:

In general, outside of Halo and Gears of War, pretty much every top franchise you see on the 360 comes out on the PS3 as well. However, there are a number of top franchises, like Uncharted, Resistance, and Killzone, that come out only on the PS3.

Personally, I like both systems but own a PS3. I bought mine because i wanted a blu ray player – and have ended up only playing games on it. Go figure.

There are a ton of great FPSs on both systems. You will not go wrong either way. Personally, Killzone is my favorite FPS so that seals the deal for the PS3 for me.

Also, as for multiplayer, it’s 100% free on the PS3. And, yes, you can connect to your buddy down the street and play, no problem.

• romoish says:

There’s one that has free online and all the best shooters.

• LabGnome says:

I sold my XBOX 360 relatively early and was very unhappy with it. I have loved my PS3 a lot and found their exclusives much nicer (and free online play).

However, the majority of titles are available on both systems. So then the question is which system you would like better for exclusive titles and aesthetics? FPSer wise 360 of course has Halo. PS3 has Killzone.

If you are going for multiplayer both work reasonably well. The 360 has more people using mics I have found (along with a more rude user base). Some assume the latency is better than the PS3s free online play, but I could not tell the difference. The 360 also seems to have more regulars but that should only matter for lesser games.

Personally I am not big on FPSers, they are okay though. I probably only play them 20% of the time. Honestly, both systems support them well so you can’t go wrong. So, it should boil down to whether you want to pay for online play, what exclusive FPSers are important to you, if other genres are important to you (and if so what exclusives), and the size of the userbase.

• BigDragon says:

For the same amount of money it costs to buy a console you can now build a home theater PC (HTPC) that is capable of playing games. Hook it up to your TV and simply add a 360 controller. You’ll be playing a wide range of free, indie, and dinosaur publisher games in no time with better frame rates and graphics. I do this with my PC and it’s a blast. The 360 controller seems to be better supported by more games than what the PS3 controller is btw.

• Robofish says:

PS3 has Uncharted. Nuff said

• I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

takemeaway8800 PLEASE tell me you’re already on the multiplayer!

• GoldVRod says:

Kudos to all the fair replies here. Nice to see a level headed community about this simple question.

I have an xbox and have not used a ps3. I don’t mind the live gold fee but it would be nice to be free. I use 3-month online codes bought from amazon for a few bucks instead of the automatic debit option and often let it lapse if I’m in a particularly single player frame of mind for a month or two.

I would say question your friends and find out what they have – that should be the decider as there’s not enough game exclusives on either one to offer a definitive must-buy argument and let’s be honest most games look 100% the same.

Majority of my mates are 360ers and so we do a lot of online gaming (seemingly in binge spurts – next month will be busy).

• Jawaka says:

PC Gaming is the only way to go for me.

• dolemite says:

I have a Wii, DS, Xbox, but PC is my true love. Gorgeous graphics, able to remap keys, precise control. When I play Xbox, it’s like trying to perform surgery with a hammer and chisel.

• TasteyCat says:

Spent a bunch of money last Black Friday on Wii (Mario anniversary bundle) and a bunch of used Gamecube games (never owned a Gamecube). Played a bit of Animal Crossing, but the system mostly collects dust. I suppose I should play it some time. At least this year they finally dropped the prices on some of their 4 year old games, so there is a bit more value, although Nintendo’s run out of ideas and put the system on life support.

I get a lot of use out of my PS3, though. I’d rather have Sony’s exclusives than Microsoft’s, even if that well of exclusives (GTA, Final Fantasy) is evaporating. I’d definitely opt for either this or Xbox 360, but about 90% of the content is cross platform this time around.

However, PC easily wins the battle for me, both retail and also Steam sales.

• Alberto says:

If you are looking for FPS, then PC is the way to go, I own a console for other games are definitely NOT suited to play with a keyboard + mouse such as sports, or some other action-adventure games.

If you are only considering between xbox vs ps3 I say Ps3 all the way.

The reason Microsoft will NEVER get my money is because as a PC gamer i believe and know that online gaming can be achieved with no latency and it MUST BE FREE.

The guy who said that Sony is looking to charge you to play used games, that is just a business model that SEVERAL companies are currently looking at to increase their gains, i repeat : SEVERAL companies.

Thank you.

• narq says:

If you want to play online, hands down go PC. I don’t have a PS3 and I stopped playing online with my Xbox 360 a long time ago. Just a lot of violent, angry, horrible people you end up playing with anymore. The PC crowd tends to be a little better, though you do get the random douche from time to time. Muting is way easier on PC than console as well. The barrier to entry is a bit different so people generally go the easy route with consoles. Xbox 360 controllers work with the PC so you can play with a controller if you feel more comfortable. The bonus is games on PC allow for customizing controls, which you can’t do on console. It makes using a controller easier. Plus everyone has a console of either type so they get whatever their friend’s have which is usually the 360. The graphics are better, online is free, you usually get more free stuff, the games are far cheaper, and Steam is super easy to get games from. You can even pre-load games so the second they launch you get to play. No need to enter a store. Most Valve games have tons of free extra content. Like Left4Dead 2 now has like 6 new free maps and Team Fortress 2 is free to play with tons of new content.

2. Zerkaboid says:

Well that pretty much seals it, there will be no PS4 in my home.

• BigDragon says:

I have to wonder if there will be a PS4 at all. We know there’s the Wii U coming next year. We also now know that an advertising blitz is about to begin for the Xbox 720. All I read coming from Sony is about them losing costumer information, having exploding TVs/batteries/mobile devices, or new DRM solutions. They might go the way of Sega and stop making a console. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

3. kcvaliant says:

Either or.
    Can’t really go wrong.

Ps3: bluray, free online. Used games in future will cost you 10bucks.

360: live costs money, I get mine for 30 a year by shopping for deals. Bigger community to play with online.

Both have great games. What system does your friend have?

4. kcvaliant says:

Either or.
    Can’t really go wrong.

Ps3: bluray, free online. Used games in future will cost you 10bucks.

Both have great games. What system does your friend have?

5. Kestris says:

Well at least they didn’t wait until a month after the fact this time.

6. NotEd says:

Y’know my PS3 has been unplugged through this and the mandetory binding arbitration debacle last month, as the room it is in has been on the final stretch of a year plus long remodeling project.

Looks like I’m not really missing anything.

• bethshanin says:

It doesn’t have to be on to be “hacked”. May want to turn it on to see if your account has been affected.

• Kuri says:

The information the hackers want is stored on the PSN servers, so your PS3 doesn’t need to be on for them to possibly get it.

7. TasteyCat says:

“But I’ll argue that Accessibility is actually more important than Security because dialing Accessibility to zero means you have no product at all, whereas dialing Security to zero can still get you a reasonably successful product such as the Playstation Network.” – Steve Yegge, (soon to be former?) engineer at Google

8. HogwartsProfessor says:

I have a PS2 my bf gave me. I was kind of wanting a PS3 but I’m not sure. Can play on bf’s when I visit, but as I play and get better, I’m going to work my way through the old junk fast because I’m not interested in games where all you do is kill stuff. I did play Flower on his PS3 and LOVED IT. :)

I still play on PC; am trying to find time to finish the Myst saga. Have a Deadliest Catch game I never played!

9. MaddenSci says:

I rarely play online (usually in the form of Little Big Planet), and have yet to download any DLC. I pay $8 or less to get PS3 games used online. If there are any games in the future that require me to buy a pass to play online, I’ll deal with it on a game-by-game basis. But, as it is, I really haven’t been that intrigued by online play as much as I might have thought (the exception is Little Big Planet, because it’s fun to cruise and see what levels other people have created).

Playstation has great exclusive titles that aren’t just FPS, which is a plus over Microsoft. Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank, etc…. I think XBox 360 has prettier graphics, but gameplay on the PS3 is pretty dang good. And, if you don’t already have one (I didn’t), it’s nice to have that Blu-Ray player.

10. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

Wonder if they’ll offer free downloads this time. They never gave me two free ones from the last go around.