Ryanair Now Planning To Remove Toilets From Planes

It’s been more than a year since we’ve heard much about cheapy European airline Ryanair’s grand plan to charge people to use the toilet. That’s because the carrier has apparently ditched the scheme in favor of simply removing two out of three toilets from each of their planes.

But it’s not just about making flights more uncomfortable for travelers. Those removed toilets would be used to squeeze on another six seats.

“It would fundamentally lower air fares by about five percent for all passengers” Ryanair’s always colorful CEO Michael O’Leary tells The Independent.

Ryanair only flies Boeing 737-800 jets and all of them are currently maxed out to the 189-seat limit. The Independent reports that there’s no law requiring the toilets on the planes, but Ryanair can’t just go adding seats because it wants to.

“We’re trying to push Boeing to re-certify the aircraft for six more seats, particularly for short-haul flights,” explains O’Leary. “We very rarely use all three toilets on board our aircraft anyway.”

A rep for Boeing would only say, “We’re always listening to what our customers need but don’t discuss those conversations or any business decisions.”

In response to the news, a spokesman for travel association ABTA said, “We all know how inconvenient it can be if a toilet on a plane is out of order or the annoyance of queuing if someone has air sickness in one of the cubicles. This move could be a step too far in Ryanair’s on-going mission to provide a totally no-frills service.”

We wonder if this move would actually backfire on Ryanair as passengers opt to not pay for in-flight food or drink lest they need to use the facilities.

Ryanair unveils its latest plan to save money: remove toilets from the plane [The Independent]

Thanks to James for the tip!

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Those without access to bathrooms tend to make their own.

2. Cat says:

Let the pissing in the aisles commence!

3. mauispiderweb says:

Remind me to never fly with this carrier. 189 seats + 6 new seats – 2 toilets = 1 toilet for 195 passengers. F that!

4. MutantMonkey says:

This is a crappy way to treat your customers.

5. Jawaka says:

I suppose if you’re buying budget this is what you get. I guess that I’m ok with this for short flights but they should be required to put a reminder on their tickets as well as a clear sign at the ticket counter reminding flyers to go before they board.

6. pop top says:

“”It would fundamentally lower air fares by about five percent for all passengers” Ryanair’s always colorful CEO Michael O’Leary tells The Independent.”

Right, because companies pass savings onto their customers instead of use the money to line their pockets.

• zz9 says:

Ryanair often sell tickets for 1p, so they’re doing something right savings wise.

And every Ryanair flight I’ve been on has been a brand new plane, so they’re not trying to save money by using old junkers.

And since they’re all pretty short flights I can’t see that big a problem with taking out some of the toilets. Most people can go an hour without needing the restroom.

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ve flown on many military flights that didn’t have bathrooms, or at least accessible bathrooms. It wasn’t pleasant but it was doable. Then again, we usually just pissed in bottles or on the tarmac immediately after walking down the ramp.

• Kate says:

So what did the crewwomen do?

I recall flying on a military flight. The toilet was within a curtain. That was a challenge to us all. Those who had to use it and the rest of us who had to hear and smell everything.

• fs2k2isfun says:

The women bring a special funnel that they aim into the urine collection bucket. The urine bucket looks like a trashcan but is made of one piece of plastic. Men hold the door open and go, women aim their funnel into it. At the end of the flight, one crew member takes the bucket outside and dumps it.

I wish I were making this up, but I assure you, I am not.

8. pinkbunnyslippers says:

paying 5% > wearing an adult diaper on trans-atlantic flights.

Keep the damn bathrooms, ffs!

• Round-Eye 外人はコンスマリッストが好きです。 says:

I don’t believe RyanAir flies trans-Atlantic flights…they’re within Europe. So you’d be okay. Or, just bring a Gatorade bottle. They’re perfect for this as their big and have a wide opening. Just sayin’.

9. WarOtter - I went to Japan and all I got was this tumor. says:

LOL I really have to give that CEO props for the way he delivers such bullshit with a straight face. I can’t wait to see him competing in the Thunderdome after the apocalypse.

I don’t think he’ll get… beyond Thunderdome…

10. Blueskylaw says:

This is a shitty idea.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

True, but Ryanair doesn’t give a crap about their customers, obviously.

11. Max Headroom says:

Is the CEO of Ryanair the same CEO or Netflix?

12. captadam says:

Is it okay if I just step into the aisle and whiz into a bottle?

13. Max Headroom says:

Is the CEO of Ryanair the same CEO of Netflix?

14. Cat says:

I’ll just piss out the window.

15. Sarahlara says:

The pay toilets are starting to sound like a good idea. Maybe that was the plan?

16. spf1971 says:

How long are most of Ryanair’s flights? If you fly on a Dash-8, a Beech 1900 or any other small short hop plane, there are no toilets. If we are talking 1-2 hours, it’s probably not really that big a deal.

• MFfan310 says:

Most Ryanair flights are under 90 minutes. So I can see where this idea is coming from.

• Max Headroom says:

You’re comparing a plane that holds 19 vs. one they want to hold 195? The odds of a toilet needed seems to go up exponentially with the number of passengers on that plane.

• spf1971 says:

The number of personnel doesn’t make a difference, it’s the length of the trip. If you know that you won’t have access to a bathroom for 60 minutes, you make sure you won’t have to use the bathroom for the next 60 minutes.

17. sirwired says:

This is yet another publicity stunt by RyanAir. He knows he can’t afford to have an entire aircraft down for maintenance every time somebody plugs the toilet. That, and he’s too cheap to have Boeing run the new evac tests necessary to receive cert. for the new max. number of pax. Boeing ain’t going to do it for free.

18. MFfan310 says:

This is a negotiating tactic with Boeing to keep their business. Pure and simple. If Ryanair doesn’t get what they want from Boeing, they have expressed strong interest in becoming the Western hemisphere launch customer for the COMAC C919 from China. The C919 is sized similarly to Ryanair’s Boeing 737-800s, and Ryanair is already working on the C919 project with COMAC.

I love flying, but the thought of flying on a Chinese-made jet makes me want to reach for the air sickness bag. Oh, wait… Ryanair only hands those out on request.

19. longfeltwant says:

Even though I’ve tried, I just can’t convince myself that a toilet is a “frill”.

If there isn’t a law mandating toilets, then there needs to be. If I were on a Ryan Air flight without adequate toilets, then Ryan Air would find itself having to explain to a planefull of angry riders why one of their customers was forced to pop a deuce in the middle of the aisle.

• Rena says:

Having had the only toilet in my apartment break a few times, I’d like to say there should definitely be at least two toilets on any plane, for redundancy’s sake.

20. Michael Belisle says:

Is this the same airplane that’s going to have standing room only in coach while featuring beds and blowjobs in first class?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Oh, so that’s what “B&B” stands for. I think I’ll stay at one on my next vacation.

• Michael Belisle says:

Or in other words, the headline should read “Ryanair unveils its latest bullshit plan that will never be implemented.”

21. TerpBE says:

So increasing the number of passengers sharing the cost by 3% (and adding about 1000lb of weight) will allow them to decrease rates 5%? Somebody’s math doesn’t add up.

• LanMan04 says:

I bet the 2 removed toilets (and associated systems) weigh a lot more than those 6 extra people.

• longfeltwant says:

You think six passengers and six seats weigh more than two bathrooms with sinks, toilets, and plumbing? I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it. I bet the bathrooms weigh more. And don’t forget to add in the cost of cleaning and fixing the bathrooms.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

…and cleaning and fixing the additional six passengers.

• Rena says:

Mind, airline toilets need large reservoir tanks. They can’t exactly hook up to a plumbing system…

22. u1itn0w2day says:

You think flying is a messy business now. Wait til the fewer toilets take effect.

23. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I was on a Jet Blue flight last month that had trouble with one of the two toilets. This sounds like a terrible idea.

24. Murph1908 says:

This article should be tagged, “Accurate but misleading headline.”

25. HeWhoComments says:

1 bathroom for 195 passengers plus crew? That’s a problem waiting to happen. I can see getting rid of the 3rd one and only having 2.

26. Kate says:

This is why you can’t let industries go unregulated. How many people think to ask about the availability of bathrooms on air flights?

27. SiD says:

I can see them narrow it down to 1 bathroom in a plane.

28. Max Headroom says:

Would this not violate an OSHA regulation for the employees on the plane, limiting them to one bathroom for 200+ people?

• AllanG54 says:

RyanAir doesn’t fly in the US so our rules don’t pertain to them.

• shepd says:

And even so, since it’s not a requirement for passengers to have a bathroom at all, a simple “Employees only” sign would mean the 6 crew on the plane share the one toilet. I don’t know what OSHA requirements would be for a toilet, but I imagine 6 per toilet is pretty generous.

Passengers with disabilities could apply for exemptions, and anyone else is “breaking the rules” *wink* *wink* *nod* *nod*.

I’d love to see the bus with wings come over here. Imagine flying at megabus pricing. 50 cent fares, OH YEAH! At a price like that I’m willing to fly without luggage and visit a thrift shop + laundromat at my destination. Or just wear 5 shirts on the plane.

• Max Headroom says:

Maybe, if they could say “employees only”, but they can’t.

• shepd says:

They can’t? I may not be familiar with airline rules, but my experience is that at least in retail stores, unless they’re serving food in a city that requires places serving food to people to have public washrooms, many stores designate their washrooms as employees only.

• Max Headroom says:

Then why is this even ON Consumerist? If 99% of the info and data relates to US stuff, why post this at all?

29. samjung23 says:

Never flying Ryanair. End of story.

30. DoodlestheGreat says:

Any flight short enough for me to be willing to tolerate this wouldn’t be one I’d need to fly in Europe because of their rail service. And even less so if I have to fly it on a Chinese-made jet.

31. narq says:

5%? Are you serious? That’s saving me probably $10. So if someone said to me, “hey we’ll give you $10-20 if we can remove the extra bathroom in your house because you don’t use the second one all that often” I’d assume something was seriously wrong with them for even offering such a concept.

32. dush says:

still got the bag in the seat pocket you can use.

33. WoollyMittens says:

It will not lower fares as much as it will increase profits.

34. Dr.Wang says:

I think they just say this stuff to stay in the news to get free publicity.

Hell, they can remove the seats if they want to.

One thing is for sure, I would NEVER fly on that “airline”. Never.

35. AuntySemantic says:

Ryan Air CEO Michael O’Leary just spotted on the west coast of England scouting site for massive sling shot.

36. KhaiJB says:

well, if anyone wants me, I’m just stepping outside for a peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee……………..

37. MikieJag says:

The majority of Ryan air flights are under 2 hours. They fly all over Europe. Some of these comments make me think most have never ever taken a ride on Ryan air.
    I flew with them for 6 years, left Venice just about every Friday and returned on Sunday. No frills, everything is for sale, but I would fly round trip for about $15 with only a carry on.

Venice to London…$20 round trip. They always have penny airfares, and only provide a flight. The planes still have a bathroom, but how many people really use a bathroom on a flight? I hate to use the little areas and I fly alot. I go before the flight and hang in there. I am sure most people can handle holding it for two hours…

38. MikeM_inMD says:

Oh, I didn’t realize it was already time for a new, blatantly silly, publicity-seeking announcement from Ryanair. O’Leary is such a wanker.

39. baristabrawl says:

Is this the airline Gerard Depardieu was flying when he peed on the plane?

40. jp7570-1 says:

Ryanair wins points for finding ways to get free publicity. However, I doubt anything they offer actually entices people to fly their sorry ltitle airline.

41. Netstar says:

No toilets? May I suggest changing the name from RyanAir to RancidAir. What good are extra seats if you have to deal with the lack of toilets? Typical stupid management idea.

42. msky says:

ok. Its not all toilets. Its 2 of 3.

43. PLATTWORX says:

I still scratch my head at how Ryanair can be so poorly run and have such a horrid reputation yet people seem to still be flying them and rewarding this business model.

DON’T FLY RYANAIR and you’d be suprised how fast they change.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Poorly run? Seems to be pretty well run to me. I have no interest in buying their product, but there’s clearly a market for it.

44. corridor7f says: