Strip Club Owner Donates Pimp Roll To School

Facing budget cuts and student-siphoning charter schools, it’s tough to blame a school district for accepting donations from anyone who’s offering. But even in this desperate climate for public education, a Florida elementary school turned heads by accepting $20,000 in donations over the last two years from a strip club owner.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports the district is considering returning the gift due to its source.

Says the owner: “I’ve been doing this for years and I always do it quietly. Now, for some reason they want to make a big deal out of it.”

A representative from the Christian Family Coalition, for one, isn’t cool with schools accepting money from strip club owners:

“It came from someone associated with the exploitation of women — and that demeans half the population,” he said. “If you do that, where do you draw the line? That’s not the message to send to kids — that it’s OK to exploit women.”

Do you think the school should keep the money? From what sorts of businesses do you think schools should deny financial assistance?

Strip club owner’s gift to school stirs controversy [South Florida Sun-Sentinel via Fark]

Comments

1. ubermex says:

School gets a donation from a legitimate and legal business. If I had a kid going there, I’d be beyond pissed if they arbitrarily chose “good” and “bad” types of business.

• unsunder says:

I agree. If you hate strip clubs, casinos, bars, etc. then why let them exist in your city or county.

• sonneillon says:

Because they are the vocal minority and they cannot pray enough to get their angry god to smite the heathens, nor can they get their angry representatives to zone the offending institutions out.

P.S. I am not making fun of god, but I am making fun of angry vocal minorities

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

OK, I’ll make fun of “god” then. He won’t mind…since he doesn’t exist.

…on the flip side, since Gawd is omniscient and omnipotent, all things and occurrences happen because it is his will. Evidently, it is therefore his will to have a strip club in that community, and his will for that strip club owner to donate to the local school district.

Therefore, complainants about this issue are contrary to the will of Gawd, and need to STFU and GTFO. Lest they be, you know, smited.

• Egat says:

Look at the vocal atheist extremist making a fool of himself!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…so you’re saying that it’s possible to defy Gawd’s will, and put in a strip club someplace where he doesn’t want it? Or it’s possible for a person to make a donation to a school against Gawd’s will?

…but that would indicate that Gawd isn’t omnipotent…and that can’t be, right?

You want fools, look around. Anyone subscribing to any religion qualifies. This case is just one of an essentially infinite number of examples.

• Pax says:

[…] so you’re saying that it’s possible to defy Gawd’s will, […]

I’m an Agnostic, myself, but a strict reading of the religious texts in question says … YES, IT IS. Mankind has this little thing called free will, and we’ve been doing things God does not approve of since the very beginning – if we hadn’t:

(A) we’d still be living naked and unashamed in Eden;
                (B) Noah would never have built a boat;
                (C) Moses would never have had to negotiate with Pharaoh;
                (D) Sodom and Gomorrah would still be on the map … as thriving, bustling cities.

Seriously. Christianity is all about what people are supposed to be doing, “because it is god’s will” … not about people being mere marionettes without a say in their actions.

If you’re going to vocally oppose a religion, it behooves you to know how it works, at least in broad, general terms.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

And therein lies the rub…

…and for the record, I was raised Christian, to the point of attending church camp every summer for ten years in a row. I know more about the faith than most “practicing” Christians.

The problem with your argument…and with the argument I was making fun of above…is that it’s an obvious impossibility for a being to be omniscient, and for humans to have free will. If Gawd knows what you’re going to do, before you do it (and according to the Bible, he does), then you have no free will. If you are able to exercise free will, then Gawd doesn’t know what you’re going to do before you do it – and therefore, he’s not omniscient.

Can’t have it both ways. Same goes for the other “omni” – omnipotence. The Bible says Gawd is omnipotent…it also says he opposes evil. However, evil quite obviously still exists despite Gawd’s opposition to it – which leaves a few obvious conclusions…

1. Gawd isn’t omnipotent, and therefore can’t actually do anything about evil
                  2. Gawd is omnipotent, but actually wishes for evil to continue to exist
                  3. The whole damn thing is BS, and there is no Gawd to worry about.

…at any rate: Occam’s Razor.

• Qntmcat says:

Not to pick a fight for the “opposing force” (I also identify as an atheist), but here’s the logical break built into your argument: If “God” is omnipotent, then he/she/it is also capable of allowing free-will, otherwise it’s a limitation on the omnipotence and you’re back to self-fulfilling paradoxes.

A Christian theologist might say that free-will is the deliberate withholding of otherwise perfect omnipotence on “God’s” part. “God” *could* make the universe deterministic, but exercises “His” own free-will and refrains from doing so. In other words, just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you MUST do that thing.

My sympathies are with you, but your argument is flawed.

• Qntmcat says:

I’m mildly intrigued that you consider yourself an agnostic, and yet cite examples of religious basis for free will only from Judeo-Christian examples. Clearly, you’ve settled on a religion to be uncertain of. =)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

God wouldn’t have made women’s bodies so beautiful if they weren’t meant to be looked at.

• psm321 says:

complaints also happen because it’s his will :)

• kcvaliant says:

Hell those minorities manage to basically abolish strip clubs in Missouri. For once Missourians are worse then the religious nutjobs over in Kansas.

Girls have to wear more clothes then a 60’s bathing suit in all situations. (no gstrings or small bras)
          Close at midnight.
          No alcohol.
          Dancers have to dance 3 ft away from you during a strip club.
          Couple more rules that I forgotten.

Hooters girls now show more skin.

• RandomHookup says:

From what I remember of my short Army tour in Kansas, the rules were much more liberal than that. One of the few good reasons to be stationed in Kansas.

• obits3 says:

A agree. We seem to have no problem taxing tobacco to fund schools, but we might as well be juggling cats if we accept money from a strip club owner. What if I give the school a bunch of money from my investment in a shoe company that pays workers in other countries low wages? Where do we draw the line?

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

They didn’t arbitrarily choose which businesses are bad, they actually have a good explanation for why the business is bad. That’s the opposite of arbitrary.

I think they should keep the money though. And I loves me some strippers.

• cloudedknife says:

exploitation of women is not a good reason to say strip clubs are bad.

mainly because last time I checked (I have occasion to speak to strippers off the clock on a semi regular basis) strippers are there voluntarily and (much the same as there will be times I absolutely hate doing my job as a lawyer but otherwise like it) enjoy their job, or stay at it because the money is awesome and they have no other skill set.

Saying stripping is exploitative of women is like saying fast food is exploitative of the poorly educated. It may be true but it’s a ridiculous reason to refuse a donative gift with no strings attached.

• Bill610 says:

It seems to me that you could make a better case that strip clubs exploit lonely, horny guys. After all, they’re the ones leaving a lot lighter in the wallet than they came, and while the club is profiting off the strippers, the strippers are at least making money off the deal.

• coren says:

They did arbitrarily decide.

A business which exploits women is not worse than a business which sells products that give you cancer. Yet tobacco is taxed to high heaven and oh yeah, schools get paid for by taxes. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

• you-toe-pee-an says:

Frankly they can get they money from Al-Qaeda for all I care.
      Public schools get shit for funding. Strip club owner has money to blow on public education. Q.E.D.

• George4478 says:

How many thousands of dollars per student would they need to not qualify as getting “shit for funding”?

The current numbers range from $6000+ to nearly $20,000, depending on the location. Florida is over $10,000 per student.

• Bill610 says:

Based on an article in this month’s Reason magazine, schools are getting three times as much money per student as they did in the 1970s, so the “adequate funding” threshold must be pretty high. But on the bright side, look at what we’ve got to show for it!…oh.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

In real dollars, or inflation-adjusted? Adjusted for inflation, $3 today is worth less than $1 in in 70s.

• KaZx says:

Better Blowing it on Public schools than up his nose.

• Clyde Barrow says:

If they receive money from strip clubs, they may want to wash off the cocaine before re-depositing it into a bank.

• Coalpepper says:

Seconded, besides do you have any proof they’re a bad business?

• 339point4 says:

Imagine if you were a stripper who had a kid going there, then you’d be even more mad.

2. edison234 says:

Keep the money. It’s no different from taking money from a corrupt politician. Dirteh moneh.

3. LeonardoLeonardo says:

If the parents don’t like it, they should move their kids to private school so the remaining students can have more of that money spent on them per-student.

• cmdr.sass says:

It’s no surprise that you didn’t read the article – 90% of the students are on the free lunch program. If their parents can’t afford lunch, they can hardly afford private school, Mr. Moneybags.

• obits3 says:

I think his point is that if you don’t have a lot of money, then you shouldn’t be looking a gift horse in the mouth. For example, one day my Dad saw a guy with a “need money for food” sign. My Dad didn’t have any money on him, but he did have an extra little debbie snack in his car. He gave the guy his extra snack and the guy took it with a “WTF did you give this to me for?” look in his face.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Most of those “Need money for food” sign holders don’t use the money you give them for food, which is why they look all “WTF” when you give them actual food.

• Tyanna says:

I had that happen once. I didn’t have any money, but I had an extra sandwich from my lunch. I gave the guy that and he made a snide comment about how he had asked for money, not a sandwich. So I apologized to the guy and took my sandwich back.

• scottcom36 says:

A bottle of fortified wine would probably garner a better response.

• hoi-polloi says:

Once upon a time I was running into Wendy’s to grab a couple burgers off the dollar menu. A homeless guy I see all the time asked for money, and I told him I’d buy him a burger. He said, “I actually prefer the fish.” I was so amused that I bought it for him, even though it was more than I was spending on myself.

After eating, I met my dad to help him with a small job. I told him the story, and he said, “I guess sometimes beggars can be choosers.” I laughed my ass off all over again.

• Pax says:

Nor can those families afford to be looking the gift horse in the mouth, then, can they?

• NatalieErin says:

I suspect the families of students at the school don’t care that much. No family members or parents are quoted in the article.

• Kimmakimma says:

I agree. People don’t want to pay higher taxes so the school suffers. So if someone is kind enough to give money to the school, I don’t see what the big deal is. Too many people in this country have their heads on backwards.

• parv says:

Ame … er, right on!

4. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Religion demeans way more than half the population.

Anyone who takes issue with this guy’s business is a person who’s opinion has little value anyway. America seriously needs to finally grow up, pull on some big boy pants, and stop pretending that there’s anything wrong with sex or nudity.

This school board should be sacked for refusing to behave in a manner consistent with ensuring the education of it’s students.

5. mikedt says:

Guy goes into club with pocket full of money. Comes out with no money. I’m not sure the dancers are the ones being exploited.

• cynical_reincarnation says:

It exploits men by exploiting women, so it exploits…people…

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

No more exploitative than other human desires. For example, people that are hungry like to eat and are willing to pay for food instead of grow it at home.

I’d argue that the whole point is business and commerce is to satisfy people’s needs: the need to be clothed, the need to be sheltered, the need to strive to be less miserable in life.

• valkyrievf2x says:

I was wondering when someone was gonna bring Orgazmo into this, lol.

• rawley69 says:

I am Sancho.

• AlphaLackey says:

Although I’d claim no one is being exploited in a mutually rewarding transaction that neither side is being forced to partake in, saying that the stripping industry exploits the dancers is like saying the casino industry exploits the dealers instead of the degenerate gamblers losing their rent cheques.

6. waffles says:

With the problems facing schools right now, they need the money. I don’t care if it comes from drug dealers. You know, as long as they agree to keep drugs out of the school.

7. sufreak says:

Its a donation. Unless the strip club is soliciting new employees from the school, I don’t see an issue. They did it silently, didn’t publicize it or ask for attention.

if that school turns it down, can you send it my town’s school system.

8. anchorworm is really sick of Minnesota weather says:

Is the business legal? regulated? taxed? If so, then the school should keep the donations. In these times of budget cuts and cut backs, schools need every dollar they can get. I know that a percentage of the population does not condone this business, but it is legal. Hell, my schools accepted donations from the local beer distributorship and a lot of people did not like that either.

• rmorin says:

I agree. It’s silly to be upset that a law abiding individual is donating money. Do not these parents know that strip clubs have to pay taxes too? That means a small portion of your tax dollars (and hence school budgets) are already from strip clubs. If people want to ban strip clubs in their state (dumb idea, but w/e) they should take it up with politicians, not try to teach a generous individual a lesson.

9. islandgirl says:

Pecunia non olet – “Money doesn’t smell”. I’d rather kids get a better education, instead of turning down money because of where it came from.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I agree except I might draw the line at illegal activities.

How wonderful would it have your kid at a school fully funded by the mob?

• Gramin says:

You don’t have to draw the line… the federal government already does that for you.

• obits3 says:

What if they need protection?

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

“It would be a shame if something were to happen to your textbooks…”

“Mommy, the teacher said I have to do section 4-2 for homework, but it looks like it was ripped out of the book!”

• OutPastPluto says:

Funded by the mob? Who cares?

The question is who INFLUENCES the school. Right now, I think the biggest problem the local schools have with “influence” is the federal government. Sure they’re “generous” but they use that generosity to try and meddle with what ever entity they happen to be giving money to.

That is why a lot of charities actively avoid federal money.

Let the local robber baron do something positive for the people.

• lucky13 says:

The CFC and the mob both wish they could strongarm everyone as well or as easily as the Federal government…meet the new boss, same as the ols boss.

10. laughingisfree says:

at least it wasn’t drug money

11. Krusty783 says:

It’s a legal business. The strip club “exploits” women the same way every business “exploits” their employees; it compensates them for a service rendered. Just because the CFC doesn’t approve of their business model means nothing.

I’m assuming that the CFC thinks the improper donation from a strip club should be returned while a donation from a coalition/foundation that completely and vocally supports Creationism should be accepted with much fanfare and a press conference??

• RvLeshrac says:

And disclaimer stickers on textbooks that will have to be placed and removed at great expense, in addition to the multi-million dollars spent on the ensuing lawsuit!

• RandomHookup says:

Actually, strip clubs usually retain them as “contractors”, allowing for a minimum of protection for the ladies (workers comp, overtime, unemployment).

12. sirwired says:

Well, as long as they aren’t asking for the Gym to be renamed “The Lusty Lady Sports Arena”, I’d say they should go ahead and take the money. The business is legal. It’s a free-and-clear donation. The school system needs the money. I’m not seeing the problem.

• YOXIM says:

I think they should take the money, especially if the gym is being renamed to “The Lusty Lady Sports Arena” haha.

13. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It demeans HALF the population? So, it’s okay for men to watch strippers, but not okay to BE a stripper.

What kind of fucked up logic is that?

(Note: sexually-aware being who is fine with the naked body)

• ExtraCelestial says:

Well it is the CFC, logic isn’t exactly their strong point. I love that the rep’s attempt to defend women just demeans them more. Stick with what you know!

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Because the old “God said so” argument doesn’t work so well anymore.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…well then Big Religion is in Big Trouble then…since that’s the one and only argument they’ve ever had – and the only one they ever will have.

• pop top says:

Well see because women aren’t smart enoguh to think for themselves, so none of them actually chose to become a stripper, they were forced into it by a godless socialist society.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Unless they live in an area of the world dominated by another religion, in which case they’ll be forced into oppressed, statusless roles in their society because that’s Gawd’s will.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

I think you might be overestimating the power of fundamentalists, there, friend.

No one has ever forced me into anything in my adult life and I’d like to see them try. (Well, other than pay taxes and that stupid speeding ticket.)

• bwcbwc says:

Nobody said WHICH half…Maybe it’s OK to be a stripper in private, but not in a club? Frankly as a male, I think the clients of the clubs are at least as exploited as the employees. Both of them end up in that place out of desperation or damaged psyche.

14. brianisthegreatest says:

Keep the money. Next time he could make an anonymous donation?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…why? For what possible reason should this man be forced into the shadows while attempting to support his local school system? He wasn’t fishing for promotional value from his donations…he’s just a concerned local citizen wanting to do more than his fair share to ensure the quality of the education local children get.

The people who complained about his donation, and the retards who refused it, are petty, hateful people who seriously need to stop putting their own shortcomings ahead of the interests of the children.

15. Jedana says:

Take the money. Schools in Florida are hurting for funds. In Duval county, we lost a huge chunk of donation funds when the school district decided to sign with Coke instead of Pepsi this year. So, hey, Mr Strip Club owner, if they don’t want it, send it to my daughter’s band or my son’s PTA!

As a woman, I am offended by all the “exploiting” talk. Strip clubs don’t exploit women; neither does Playboy or the Bunny Ranch. There is no exploiting of anything. The women do a job and get paid (pretty well, in most cases) for it. They choose to go into that field of work, just like a nurse or a teacher or a soldier does.

16. Nidoking says:

Wait… so they want to take money from the schools and give it to strip clubs?

If you ignore the previous transaction and focus just on this one, you’ve got quite a story there.

17. DoktorH says:

does it matter? The man owns a profitable business, and donates some of the money he makes from it back to the school in the community that supports his business. It’s not like he’s sending recruiters into the school like the military does, or putting ads on school printouts like fast food businesses do.

He’s doing right by the communities that keep him in business.

18. DJ Charlie says:

Honestly? It’s a legitimate business. If they turn down that VERY generous donation, then they deserve NO funding.

Perfect example to the students. “Today class, we’re going to look a gift horse in the mouth!”

• RandomHookup says:

Since it’s an elementary school, how would people feel about money donated by a liquor magnate?

19. Marlin says:

How about this, if the religious nuts want it to stop they will match 100% of what the club offers.

Until then STFU

• SixOfOne says:

Exactly. If the owner of the club can give a damn enough about the public school system enough to donate to it, then how awful does that make the religious community look? This is assuming that they aren’t donating to the school system.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I have an infinitely bigger problem with a religious group donating to a government service than a strip-club operator. Separation of church and state please.

20. PercyChuggs Was Found At JFK Airport says:

I always get a kick out of when someone claims strip clubs “exploit” women. The women are all their of their own free will, and if anything, they make a nice amount of money by exploiting the natural male urge to see women without clothes on. If someone is willing to PAY you to see YOUR body, then aren’t YOU the one who has all the control there?

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

and, every one of those nice girls are there “Just until I finish paying for college”

• Clyde Barrow says:

Ahh no they’re not all there on their own free will. You need to do some reading into this subject. America is currently experiencing a higher than normal rate of human trafficking and it’s getting worse. Children up to “whatever age” are being exploited for sex. A rash of arrests at strip clubs just happened in Detroit for human trafficking, prostitution, and drugs and these girls were forced, coerced, and all money was taken from them. They were also forced to perform 12+ hours per day with little rest and food. This is hardly being employed on their own free will and this happens with American women as well as foreign women.

• PercyChuggs Was Found At JFK Airport says:

So you are saying that ALL strip clubs employ trafficked-in women? Yeah ok.

• katarzyna says:

Well, some are, some aren’t (there of their own free will). I’m not very fond of strip clubs, but I don’t have a problem with the ones that are all voluntary and don’t exploit women (and children). We need to punish the people/organizations that exploit people, and leave the legit businesses alone. The problem is that the stripping / prostution industries are more susceptible to exploitation – the demans often exceeds the supply, and there’s lots of money to be made.

• Firethorn says:

Doesn’t just happen at strip clubs; some people keep ‘personal maids’ as non-virtual slaves as well.

It’s more a reason to keep an eye on them, than to ban them.

21. TooManyHobbies says:

Have they gone into this particular club and talked to the dancers to see how they feel about it? There are some really horrible places, but others where I hear the dancers are doing what they like to do.

And anyway, either the business is legal or it’s not. Would they take money from the liquor store owner? He’s certainly taking advantage of people who are alcoholic (some percentage of his customers). What about the grocery store that sells liquor?

It’s not like they’re taking donations from a drug dealer here. Though liquor stores IMO count as drug dealers. If the business is legal, take their donations. If not, call the cops.

22. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

They’re only complaining because the money smells like Love’s Babysoft

23. inelegy says:

Makin’ it rain in chess club!

24. maruawe says:

When any business donates money to a school and wants to remain anonymous then it should be kept secret. The man may be in a questionable business, He did not ask to be made a teacher or principal. The school should keep the money to aid the children, and if the school gives back the money, the people who orchestrated this give back should be made to compensate the district for the loss…..This type of criticism by liberals is getting out of hand.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

You think the Christian Family Coalition is a liberal group? I can promise you that they are not. They only way they could be more conservative is if they were allied with the Taliban.

• pop top says:

“This type of criticism by liberals is getting out of hand.”

Hahahahahaha. You think a group called “Christian Family Coalition” is LIBERAL? Really?

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Liberals? Try conservatives. I doubt any liberal would give a rats ass where the money came from. As a “liberal” I admire anyone who gives back to their community regardless of what business they are in. On top of that, I don’t see any business as moral or immoral. Consenting adults should be able to do as they please as long as it isn’t hurting another person.

25. Red Cat Linux says:

This is funny on several levels.

* public schools are so hard up for funding that they accept donations.
    * A slightly smarmy business donates money and the school struggles over keeping it or not
    * It’s either a legitimate business or not. Pick one, people!
    * Things must be bad if the strip club owner is taking pity on the schools. Now… what about all the other more dignified businesses?

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Maybe the strip club owner is a decent person. The person just found a legit way to make good money. Being in the adult industry doesn’t mean you can’t be charitable and caring.

26. Can't Buy a Thrill says:

If I was that strip club owner I would urge the Christian Family Coalition to fight to end all my taxation…think about it….all members of the CFC drive on roads partially financed by strippers…their Fire and Police departments, their mayor and city council all are touched by the stench of that dirty money and by association so are their members…so no taxes for his club or his employees. Oh, they better quit taxing cigarettes, alcohol and medicinal marijuana…lets see how far that one goes.

• Krusty783 says:

Wait, I’d like to know if the CFC accepts any local gov’t funding? If they do, he should pressure them to return it because it’s money that comes from taxes against his club and liquor stores. They can’t be sure exactly what portion of the money came from those type businesses, so the CFC should return all the money to the gov’t if they are congruent with their own morals.

• jbandsma says:

They DO get local government funding…their churches are protected by police and fire departments that are paid for by city or county government. Out of taxes paid by everybody but them.

27. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

What’s next?

“I’m Principal Skinner, Brought to you by The Beaver Den Gentleman’s Club”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• Krusty783 says:

Honestly, I’m surprised that South Carolina and Oregon State have gone this long without any strip club / gentlemans mag sponsorship!

Honestly, why aren’t the South Dakota State Jackrabbits sponsored by Playboy?

• jbandsma says:

That’s because here in SC we have the ‘education’ lottery. Which is a scam. Sure, the schools get money but it only replaces what was taken away when property taxes were reduced. Well, ALMOST replaces it. Plus, the biggest chunk of tax money going anywhere near the schools here goes to the school -board-, not the schools themselves.

28. exscind says:

I don’t think it makes sense for schools to reject funding from private citizens. However, if the donation is actually on behalf of the business then their hesitation is justifiable. Keep in mind that the district is probably considering the values of local parents as much as or more than their own.

There’s one thing that nobody has really mentioned in the comments; sometimes large donations are merely promoting an agenda or intended to buy influence (although it does NOT sound like that’s the case with this incident). In the area of education, there are plenty of parties willing to purchase this kind of influence. There’s something to be said for the school district resisting it, particularly from “vice” businesses.

Think of it this way – what’s worse, to accept money against your judgment, that or politely decline it?

29. PeteWa says:

Lets see – Schools get money from the sale of Tabacco, Liquior.. Wine… guns, ammunition… what else gets taxed?

30. Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

I fail to see why a person’s choice of employment should qualify or disqualify them from being able to give their money to benefit education.

31. Mold says:

CFCs cause global limpness!!!
    Wonder if the reason was that the CFC board would prefer to watch little boys?
    FLA schools don’t have a lot of options with Scottdemort as Governor…they will be RIFed to provide more profit for ole Rick..who will resign the moment Tallahassee discovers his stash of ‘personal assistants’.

32. theotherwhitemeet says:

So how much money did the Christian Family Coalition donate? Did they at least offer to match the amount that the strip club gave?

33. jbandsma says:

Why does religion get to decide how education is funded? Can’t they be satisfied with just trying to force ‘god dun it’ into science classes?

Besides, if the money is made ‘exploiting’ women, isn’t it justice that it is used to educate women so that they WON’T be exploited?

34. kingmanic says:

The Christian Family Coalition should come up with 20k to replace that donation instead of whining about it.

35. SolidSquid says:

Aren’t Christian Family Coalition one of those uber-fundamental christian groups? You know, the ones which emphasize the necessity of a woman’s obediance to their husband? Seems like that would be more demeaning than a bit of pole dancing

36. evnmorlo says:

The CFC should stop my local school district form excepting assistance from supermarkets and Walmart, which subject mostly women to much more misery and exploitation.

37. centurion says:

Was it all singles?

38. MrEvil says:

I always love the argument from the Theologians that strip clubs exploit women. It’s the 21st century, we realized women were capable of making their own decisions when we passed the 19th amendment. To claim that strip clubs exploit women undermines the feminist argument that women are perfectly capable of making their own decisions and living with their consequences.

The very fact that strip clubs are legal, licensed, tax-paying businesses PREVENTS them from exploiting women. If a club takes too large a cut of a strippers’ tips and private dance fees, she is able to go perform at another club and able to call upon our legal system should a club owner try to prevent her from doing so.

39. Tyanna says:

So if the strip club hired male strippers, it’d be okay to take donations from them?

40. JulesNoctambule says:

‘It came from someone associated with the exploitation of women’

Funny — that’s something I associate with a good portion of the christian denominations in America.

41. sp00nix says:

The Join around here donates money to schools and all kinds of charity and shelters and stuff.

42. Polish Engineer says:

Long story short… many religious people have a hard time swallowing the fact that others who may have a different moral perspective can still be good.

Reading the article shows this guy isn’t just donating to schools but also “Toys for Tots, police charities, Haiti earthquake relief, the American Cancer Society and the American Red Cross.”

Instead of condemning the donation as inappropriate they should be celebrating the fact that the critical Christian tenant of charity prevails even in groups of people who may not share all of their values. But as with many religions, the “us against the world” mentality prevails, and they fail to recognize the good when they see it.

43. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Obviously every situation is different but not all dancers are exploited. Our Office Manager also strips on the side, especially around the holidays to help fund Christmas and vacations. She’s not embarrassed or ashamed by the job and makes significantly more by stripping a few hours a week than she does working 40 hours at $12/hr.

44. Froggmann says:

The way I see it as long as there isn’t any quid pro quo in regards to donating, I don’t care if the donations come from Larry Flynt himself!

45. cloudedknife says:

My law thesis was a 37page (double spaced) paper regarding the latest in copyright violation prosecution in both the united states as well as in europe. It focuses mainly on the IsoHunt and PirateBay cases.

Sadly after getting my grade I haven’t had much luck finding people to review and give me feed back to get it published.

If anyone would be interested in reading it, either on a lark, or because you’d like to review it and give feed back, please email me at copyrightphilosopher at yahoo (no spam please, even though it IS a junk email.)

the paper should serve as a pretty good primer on the law existing relating to copyright violation prosecution, and why the US (and indeed the rest of the world if they follow us) is insane.

46. Kibit says:

Keep the money. The donation came from a legal business.

Quite frankly they would take a donation from BofA or Wells Fargo and these businesses have exploited the entire country.

47. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

reminds me of the breast cancer folks sending back the check from the Fairvilla [adult] Megastore some years back. also in florida. The store teamed up with a local strip club to fundraise for breast cancer with a topless carwash and the breast cancer foundation decided the money wasn’t good enough for them

48. dew_crew says:

I see this as the strip club owner promoting education. Maybe so less women have to resort to stripping..????

49. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

BS on returning it. No one is exploiting women. Women choose to exploit themselves for the money. Strip clubs are a legitimate service.

If the Christian Coalition doesn’t like it, then maybe they are willing to replace the money lost if the school stops taking the donations????

50. YokoOhNo says:

Any pics of EXACTLY where this money came from?

51. YokoOhNo says:

Praise baby jesus!! I see the light!

52. Milagro Beanwar says:

I really don’t see the problem with this. Strip Clubs have been helping girls get through college for years. I can even see how this probably played out down at the Christian Family Coalition…

“Hey, that strip club has been giving money to schools! We can’t have women getting an education, and thereby avoiding exploitation, by taking money from the heathen exploiters themselves! Jesus demands this end! Now for the next order of business, preventing poor people from using contraception…”

If the schools need money and a strip club owner is willing to front it, they should take the money. I’m sure if they use the cash to teach the kids right, when they grow up they’ll understand.

53. oldtaku says:

Oh sure, NOW you care about demeaning women?

54. Dollie says:

They didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, they punched it and knocked its teeth out.

Someone probably didn’t recognize the company name on the check, found out who it really was, pulled their panties out, and threw a fit. It’s not like he paid in $1 bills.

55. Jane_Gage says:

I go to strip clubs and I’m female–these women need to pay for nursing school somehow.

56. kylere1 says:

Keep the money, if the invisible-friend-in-the-sky nutcases do not like it, then they can come up with double the cash to replace it.

It is for the kids, and the American-Taliban types need to shut up.

57. energynotsaved says:

Had a friend who owned a pawn shop. He accepted a full set of bells in pawn. They were never redeemed. He donated them to his son’s school. Should that school have refused the bells because they were from a pawn shop? Of course not.

Should this school have refused a donation from the Gates foundation? No. Even if Gates made his fortunate by making sane people crazy from crashes, the money is not dirty. It advances education.

The strip club? The money comes from a community business. Accept the donation.

Would I suggest that the strippers come in for career day? Probably not.

58. kityglitr says:

Last I heard, strip clubs weren’t hunting women down and forcing them to work there. You may feel it’s unsavory, but the modern day strip club is far from a den of exploitation. These women are skilled workers in a niche industry. Now, when you talk about the fact that they have to (as independent contractors) pay the club a percentage of what they make, sure you could point to some clubs as having shady dealings. But on the whole, I’d say it’s pretty archaic to say the strip club is exploiting the women. Perhaps the women are exploiting the customers and their wallets?

59. yessongs says:

Did they get paid in singles?

60. christianmarie says:

Maybe if my high school had taken donations from strip clubs, they could have hired better teachers, and then I wouldn’t have dropped out and become a stripper.

61. Chaosium says:

“”It came from someone associated with the exploitation of women — and that demeans half the population,” he said. “If you do that, where do you draw the line? That’s not the message to send to kids — that it’s OK to exploit women.””

The group is fine with exploiting children, however.

62. StevePierce says:

We will take it in Michigan

63. unsmith says:

Keep your Christian Coalition out of my public education, thanks.

64. tundey says:

As long as it’s a legit business and the money is clean, why not? Would there be an uproar if a Tobacco company donated money? And they exploit *everyone* (not just women).

65. DragonThermo says:

While I’m sure the school has ways to spend the money, but accepting money from a strip club owner is like borrowing money from the mafia (which totally doesn’t exist! *whew*). Pretty soon, they’ll want you to do a “favor” for them. Maybe put an ad in the school yearbook… maybe help campaign against “blue laws” legislation… Who knows?

66. AgentM says:

It’s not like the money is handed over with the stipulation that strippers get to be ‘exploited’ all over the school or some-such. It’s someone doing a good thing; let them do it!