Movie Pirates Mourn: MPAA Puts The Smackdown On 50 Torrent Sites

If you listen very closely, you can just hear the agonized shrieks of torrent site users bemoaning the loss of their favorite movie-providing sites. The Motion Picture Association of America joined forces with Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN to shut down 12 torrent sites in the U.S. and 39 more abroad.

The Dutch-American team filed copyright violation complaints with the sites’ hosting providers, says Mashable.com. But you might not even know yet that your site of choice has been affected, as the names of those hit isn’t being released. That way, it’s less likely that the site will spring up somewhere else. For example: stealmovies.com could become stealmovies.info, making it easy for users to find again.

A company spokesperson told Mashable recently, “Given the fact that the U.S. government is currently undertaking great efforts to fight copyright infringements on the internet, our having a voice in Washington could be beneficial for us as well as for the U.S. government.”

It seems the MPAA has found quite an effective partner for their effors: BREIN’s already got quit the reputation for being a disciplinarian in the Netherlands, as TorrentFreak says thay’ve temporarily disabled more than 1,000 sites there.

Now I’m never going to see Inception!

MPAA Shuts Down 50+ Torrent Sites in Global Piracy Sting [Mashable]

Comments

1. Marlin says:

Its ok, 51 more opened today.

;)

2. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:
    • MrEvil says:

Truer words have never been spoken. I rip all my DVD’s to my file server so I don’t have to put up with the trailers and menus.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Really. I want to watch a f*in’ movie. Don’t make me jump through hoops and watch commercials. Period. I even paid for the movie, and now I have to watch commercials, WTF?

• reynwrap582 says:

Trailers on DVDs make me mad unless they’re manually accessed from the menu.

When I go to the movies I actually like the trailers and whatnot, but it drives me nuts that the listed start times for movies are not when the movies themselves start, but when all the pre-movie trailers and advertising starts. You can try to guess and show up after the start time, but recently I’ve been to movies with 3-4 minutes of trailers and 20+ minutes of trailers, and everything in between. If the schedule says the move starts at 8pm, it should start at 8pm, with the notice that if you want to see trailers (and get a good seat), show up 20 minutes early.

I know it’s too much to ask for.

• GJaunts says:

Yeaaaaaaaah, that’s why people pirate movies, the commercials. And people pirate CD’s because those little sticker things they put on the top of CD cases are so annoying to peel off!

I’m sure it’s not the whole getting entertainment for free aspect.

• OutPastPluto says:

Yet these entertainment industries still exist.

By your argument, they shouldn’t anymore.

Everyone should all be downloading from the Pirate Bay.

No one should be excited over Hulu or Netflix or Vodu or Amazon VoD or iTunes.

Despite owning a nice big pile of DVDs, I never watch them in their pristine form for exactly the reasons outlined in the InfoGraphic. This sort of nonsense is also why I own a DVR and never watch live TV. This sort of nonsense is also why I don’t watch so many movies anymore now that they like to show soda and car commercials now.

• GJaunts says:

Is this in response to me? I’m confused as to how my argument* supports the conclusion that the entertainment industries should cease to exist, but I’ll play along. Why does the movie industry still exist, despite pirating?

1. First, we have to acknowledge that the movie and music industries HAVE been hammered.
          2. Some people don’t pirate movies because they plain think it’s wrong. That describes me.
          3. Some people don’t pirate movies because they actually enjoy seeing them in movie theaters. That also describes me.
          4. Some people don’t pirate movies because they don’t have the technical know-how. I’d imagine that a huge chunk of the “Paul Mart: Mall Cop” crowd doesn’t know what a torrent is or how to work one of those torrent client do-hickeys. That crowd encompasses a majority of movie-goes, I would guess.

As to your problem with commercials… I just don’t get it. Well I mean I do, because obviously commercials are a nuisance. But still.. who do you think is paying for your TV shows?

*if it even is an argument… seriously, what percentage of pirates are pirating movies to avoid the pre-movie trailers? I’ve seen very few DVDs where the trailers can’t be skipped with one or a few pushes of a button. And the WARNING graphics take up, what, all of 3 minutes? Are people really that impatient? They’ll wait hours for a movie to download (in the old days, days for a movie to download) just to skip the 5 minutes of inconvenience? I call BS. I’m guessing 99% of pirates are pirating movies because it’s a really easy was to avoid paying for their entertainment.

• VashTS says:

You are right I am a pirate and the MPAA/RIAA are victims. Oh well…let me collect my paycheck and what’s that half my pay is gon to the government so they can fund the war on oil..I mean “Terror” and keep giving billionaires/Millionaires tax breaks and free health care.

• AI says:

While you may not agree, it has severely limited my Blu-ray purchases, because Blu-ray previews are even more unskippable. In order for me to watch my copy of The Dark Knight, I have to skip through 5 or 6 different previews before getting to the main menu. The button that should take me directly to the main menu has been disabled. That’s a hell of a way to reward someone for spending $35 on your product.

• GJaunts says:

I’ll grant you that I’ve watched maybe three Blu-Ray discs in my life, so maybe things are different in that regard.

• SJActress says:

For the record, that sticky thing at the top of the CD is called a dogbone.

And it’s quite simple to remove. Just carefully unhinge the bottom half of the CD and voila!

For the record (pun intended), I worked at a music store for 5 years, and I don’t see how they are going to survive. I don’t shop there anymore. I get most of my music from iTunes, unless there’s licensing issues which prevent me from getting the WHOLE CD (hello, Forrest Gump Soundtrack). That stuff I will torrent for the convenience. I just don’t have a use for CDs anymore.

• Red Cat Linux says:

I still buy CDs, but almost exclusively from Amazon, where I can at least sample the tracks first. I got a $25 iTunes gift card almost a year ago, and I still have $19 on it.

They don’t have a lot of what I’d want.

• Donathius says:

The thing I think is really funny about putting trailers on DVDs is that those trailers are only current for a few months to a year. A few years down the line and you go to watch that movie only to laugh at the trailers and how awful some of those movies were or how badly they flopped.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

That image is true, but there’s an even more important aspect to why people pirate things – DRM.

And not necessarily to bypass it per se…DRM causes a lot of problems that punish only legitimate consumers.

Like getting a BD that won’t play in your Blu-Ray player because of the out-of-control DRM. You paid money for the BD, and now you (the legitimate consumer) can’t watch the movie…because of the DRM.

Or, like having DRM from a movie and/or music corrupt something on your computer and cause it to be unstable. That seems like a reasonable tradeoff for being a legitimate consumer…after all, who wants a stable computer?

Or, the fact that DRM is on the product you just legally purchased specifically to prevent you from exercising your law-given right to make a backup copy of said product. If you want any reason why lobbying should be made illegal, and/or proof that our judicial system is corrupt, look no further than here.

For a long, long time, there was a law on the books that granted consumers the right to make a backup copy of something they purchased for their own use. Like, when you bought the new Abba cassette tape, you could legally dub it to another cassette tape to have around in case something happened to the original. The law guaranteed consumers this right. Later on, Big Content got duped into infecting all of their content with DRM under the pretense that it would stop piracy…well, the DRM was preventing people from exercising their right granted by that law – so you know what happened? In a reasonable, rational world, the government would have required that Big Content either stop infecting their products with DRM, since it violated consumer’s law-given rights…or re-invent it somehow so that the DRM did not infringe upon the rights of law-abiding citizens. But since we live in this world – not a rational or reasonable one – there was another law put on the books making it illegal to circumvent DRM…for any reason…including exercising your law-given right to make a backup for your own use.

So now we have two laws on the books – one guaranteeing your right as a consumer to make a backup copy, and another law that makes you a criminal if you exercise your right granted by the first law.

All of which amounts to a pile of adjectives as tall as you like, including words like “abusive, corrupt, moronic” etc. No positives there. Just Big Content and the government joining hands to abuse law-abiding citizens.

• Straspey says:

I just love the hoops people jump through to rationalize and justify their so-called “right” to STEAL music.

If it was a car, or food, or even the actual hardware device required on which to view the stolen content – you’d all be in jail.

I mean, why not ?

If you’re going to steal the content simply because you don’t wish to pay for it, then then why the hell are paying hundreds – if not thousands – of your dollars to purchase the hardware devices you need to view and listen to your stolen content ?

And – then there’s the violation of this site’s user agreement, to which you tacitly agree by registering and participating:

Consumer Media LLC User Agreement

….

VI. Communicating on or to the Site

To help Consumer Media maintain a safe and civil environment, you agree not to post any Communication on our Site that:

…infringes or violates the intellectual property rights (including copyright, patent and trademark rights), contract rights, trade secrets, privacy or publicity rights or any other rights of any third party;

You wouldn’t think of walking into a store and stealing a DVD off the shelf – so what makes it okay to do it on the internet ?

Oh – wait – I know…

It’s anonymous and you can do it without being caught and having to face the potential consequences and take responsibility for your actions.

Okay – sorry – I get it now.

• AI says:

Illegal or not, pirated movies are legitimate competition to legal sources of movies. People pirate for many reasons including:
        1) Convenience
        2) Price
        3) Product quality
        4) Release schedule
        5) Because they are criminals

While there’s nothing movie studios can do about #5, there’s a hell of a lot they can do about #1-#4.
        1) Offer high quality digital downloads and streaming the day the DVD/Blu-ray is released.
        2) Stop pricing DVD @ $25, and Blu-rays at $35. There is no reason for DVDs to cost $25 in 2011, and Blu-rays do not cost that much more than a DVD to justify $35. When people refuse to buy at these prices, the studios claim piracy instead of their own price gouging.
        3) Having to watch 5 previews (advertisements!) on a disc I just paid $35 is insulting. If they want to advertise like that, they can pay me $35 to watch their ads. Pirated movies offer a superior product that is free of forced advertisements.
        4) People do not want to wait months after a movie is released in theatres to watch it at home. People have better home theatres than ever before and want to use them. As well, the theatre experience isn’t what it used to be with nobody at the theatre keeping people quiet, and high ticket and food prices. DVDs, Blu-rays, and digital downloads should be available at the same time or very shortly after the theatrical release.

To blame piracy solely on #5, while completely ignoring #1-#4 is ignorant.

I

• EarthAngel says:

People pirate mostly because of DRM issues. Which is the only qualm I have with legitimately purchasing downloads.

I recently downloaded an entire season of a popular TV series from Amazon. The problem? I can only watch it if I am tethered to my computer. I paid a pretty penny for the download. I should be able to put the series on my iPod, my husband’s Zune, my laptop or the DVD player if I choose to do so.

Friday evening I purchased an E-book from Sony. I should be able to take that book and put it on my husband’s kindle. If I were to purchase a physical book, I would be able to loan it to a friend. You can loan E-books to friends, but it shouldn’t be limited because of DRM issues.

I can’t even tell you how many audio books and music I have purchased from iTunes, only to have my computer crash and take my downloads with it.

Obviously stealing is bad. But I can see why people pirate.

• spamtasticus says:

Sometime in the early 90s I had a collection of 100 or so CD’s in one of those car CD cases that are like books. It was stolen from my car so I started calling the recording studios and telling them that I had the boxes and receipts for all the CD’s and if they could please charge me a nominal fee to send me another CD to replace the ones that where stolen from me. The fact is that they have stood by the fact that you are not buying the CD but rather the right to play the music. They all refused even though I had proof that I had paid for each and every right. In my opinion, every recording label and movie label should make their money from theaters and concerts or go broke like they deserve.

• LocalH says:

Note that the site’s user agreement says nothing about advocating copyright infringement, but merely the actual act of infringement.

• andrewe says:

I believe that you have confused theft for piracy. These are two completely different things.

• alexwade says:

When DVD’s first came out, they went straight to the movie. Then there were the menus. Then there were the anti-lawsuit “the commentator’s opinions aren’t our own” and anti-piracy nuisances. These can usually be by-passed by going into the chapter menu and choosing the first chapter. Then came the unskippable coming attractions. These were especially bad on Disney/Touchstone movies.

Then along HD DVD and Blu-Ray. These added interactive features to the movies. Warner Brothers put in a stupid HD DVD promo on their movies whereas Universal only put in a HD DVD logo. The Blu-Ray camp (or as it was called in the beginning, Blurry-Ray) also put in stupid “we are so much better than DVD” promos. Unfortunately, some movies have to load the extras before the movie starts, so now you have to wait 30 seconds extra.

It is my opinion that it a law should be passed that requires a movie purchased retail to be at the main menu within 45 seconds after the disc player has read the disc, including the anti-lawsuit and anti-piracy message. Previews should only be allowed on discs meant for rental.

3. Conformist138 says:

Yes, this will totally solve the problem.

I mean, no one ever stole music again once P2P like Napster went out of style, so obviously all internet piracy will vanish now and never ever come back.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I mean, really. Let us count the ways movies and music can be distributed:
      1> P2P
      2> Torrent
      3> Usenet
      4> Email
      5> US mail

… and so on. Maybe we should just put a “closed” sign on the internets, you will never put the genie back in the bottle. Oh soo sorry, there’s always #5.

• Rachacha says:

True, but the shutting down of Napster and the creation of easy and inexpensive venues like iTunes, the Amazon Music store and others I would suspect has helped to slow down piracy in music. When I want the latest (insert favorite music artist name here) track, I can purchase a CD (who does that anymore, and if I just want a track, it is rather expensive), download the track from a music store like iTunes for about $1, or I can search for the track on a torrent. MOST people will go the simple route and choose iTunes.

Movie creators need to push their content out on to digital format sooner and make it so that it can work on any device (even if there is copy protection) so I can watch it on my laptop, my phone and on my big screen TV and make the prices affordable so that it simply is not worth the increased effort in searching for content on a torrent and then downloading it (hopefully everything comes through without malicious software or MPAA spyware).

4. aweirdguy says:

Mourning might be a stretch here… 50 torrent sites taken down, probably 100 new ones go up over the weekend. And those are just the new ones, of the 50 taken down 30 of those will be back online with a new .info or similar domain name. Oh, they got their server shut down? Oh no! I’m sure they have a backup server somewhere else…. All those depraved pirates are suffering horribly, wherever will they find their media now?

I’m not impressed with a couple little sites getting shut down. They have completely failed to get piratebay offline after years of trying their best….

• The cake is a lie! says:

Seriously. I mean, if torrents were illegal, then why aren’t the HUGE ones gone yet? Good for you that you can shut down 50 sites that nobody uses. Pat yourself on the back. They are just reseeding the torrents they got from PirateBay and large bittorrent sites like that.

I was kinda sad when mininova was ‘shut down’ and had to change a lot of what they did. You know how long it took people to find a new site to frequent? About 30 seconds. Unless they shut down the big ones, it isn’t going to do anything. It is like the government taking a bite out of crime by shutting down every lemonade stand in the nation and bragging how they took down 50,000 illegitimate businesses in one summer. Aim for the big guys and I’ll be impressed.

5. MrMan09 says:

And lets not forget BREIN’s track record of getting cases thrown out, getting police to hand them the evidence in cases rendering it useless, supporting the idea that everyone else needs to pay to support companies rights, and handing bogus “investigative” reports to the police.

It is not like it could happen here, unless you read the DHS warrant request where they accepted as fact everything the media companies said, much of it made up out of thin air. That the rights of the people are only what media companies allow us to have. Shame several of the sites DHS managed to get shut down without any trial were given the items they where posting by the companies supporting this who asked them to share the files with their users.

But I feel safer knowing that ICE has time to become a division of Disney protecting that companies interests rather than making sure nothing dangerous is smuggled into the country.

6. Newto-Rah says:

If they don’t release a list, then I’m pretty sure only the owners of the site will notice, and I doubt they’ll mourn the 20$ they need to register a new domain.

Pirate Bay is still up, and the torrent tracker-tracker sites are still there. Most people just download from the tracker with the most seeds, without really caring which one.

I just checked one of the aggregate sites and more links are working today than last week.

But keep up the good work MPAA! I’m sure you’ll get them eventually, there’s only so many *torrent*.(com|net|info|tv|it|cn|ca|org|im|etc) site they can register in the English language after all.

Or you’ll just weed out the chaff and the remaining sites will get more resilient and get more ad revenue. One or the other.

7. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

“This global sting operation comes on the heels of last November’s move by the Department of Homeland Security to shutter more than 70 sites in one fell swoop.”

Department of Homeland Security? WTF?

• Saltpork says:

Before DHS handled internet crime/piracy cases, most of it was done by the Secret Service oddly enough.

Eventually the FBI joined the game and now it’s all DHS.
      Figure that one out.

Piracy is like anything viral. You can’t stop it without taking drastic measures that people won’t stand for.

Cleansing the internet of piracy means removing the internet from any country who won’t take strict authoritarian measures to stop it, meaning the internet would become a shell of what it once was.

The world’s largest digital library, open to all trying to be controlled by a bunch of people whining that their art is being seen by millions. Genius.

Hey MPAA, if the studios you represent would make something worth buying perhaps people would go to see it in theaters or buy your DVD’s at 25 bucks a pop.

• nodaybuttoday says:

I was thinking the same thing. Homeland Security? With all of the crap that goes on this world, is piracy really that much of a threat to America?

• Rachacha says:

DHS houses US Customs and boarder patrol which has a division for intellectual property rights violations as well as a DHS Cyber security division…while hacking into infrastructure to cause all infrastructure to shut down and downloading a copy of Toy Story 3 from a torrent are not quite on the same level, apparently the same people are in charge of stopping both.

8. NeverLetMeDown says:

“Now I’m never going to see Inception!”

Yeah, it must be tough. If only it were available on DVD for sale or rental, or on video on demand via Internet or via your cable or satellite company. Oh, wait, it is.

• Tim says:

Yeah, but the whole point of this post is that no one should be required to pay for movies. It should all be free, and all of those options you list involve paying.

I mean, isn’t that the point of making movies? To not get paid?

• OutPastPluto says:

Wait until it’s on broadcast.

That’s free.

One simply does not need to “pirate” in order to avoid giving money to Big Content Robber Barons. It’s also very easy to minimize the amount of money Big Content does get if you decide to be impatient and want to pay some not-quite-what-they-want amount to legitimately see stuff.

BT is quick and easy.

Although stuffing something in your netflix queue isn’t terribly hard either.

• Mecharine says:

Hyperbole is not good for your health.

9. Southern says:

Also, but not releasing the names of the sites, there’s no way to prove they’re not just pulling numbers directly out of their ass.

10. Blueskylaw says:

This is no big deal. Just like banks work around legislation to continue screwing you, people will find a way to continue enjoying the music/movies they love at a price they can afford.

11. blink says:

Dept of Homeland Security policing for the MPAA- guess who’s running our country?

• oldwiz65 says:

The primary purpose of “Homeland Security” is to go after whoever the MPAA/RIAA says is bad and evil. Since the DOJ was taken over by lawyers from the entertainment industry, their focus has shifted from protecting citizens of the U.S. to protecting the profits of fat cats in the entertainment industry. the current DOJ definition of “terrorist” is anyone who sets up or uses a P2P file sharing site. Everyone knows that file sharing destroys the lives of thousands of americans every day.

12. flip says:

Tomorrows Headline…

51+ New Torrent Sites have sprouted.

13. vdragonmpc says:

I find it hilarious that the movie industry pulls all kinds of underhanded manipulations of the market that piss off consumers and then wonder why they are not getting sympathy. Why are NETflix subscribers forced to wait while directTV and Cable stream the movies? Why cant I simply watch the movie on my xbox or bluray when it is released? It should be released on ALL formats so we dont have to wonder when we will be deemed worthy of the right to watch it.

Theaters priced themselves out of most people’s budgets. Im not paying 14-18$ per person to see the latest ‘re-imagining’ of a movie with the same actor that was in the last 30 movies because he has a cool name. I would like to see something new. It would help if matinees came back but they figured out that we might sneak in a few shows for the lower price and killed them. I wont even mention the 6-8$ cup of shrinking soda. I used to laugh at the bucket o fizz but now its a medium 7-11 drink with a bucket of popcorn I need a mortgage to buy.

DVDs were supposed to have the best picture possible. Funny someone told me that about Blueray now. Hmmm How are those pesky pirates fitting a HUGE file video into such a small package and make it work. Oh they cut all the junk out that has nothing to do with the movie experience. Lets not forget that DVDs were supposed to contain extras. Where did they go? It seems that they decided just not to bother on most releases. Yet there is all the cool stuff on Blu-ray.. Oh they dont really put much on those either they just cost twice as much…

Movie industry is just following the music industry. If you look back to the 80s cassette tapes started having ‘extended dynamic range’ and then cds came out. If you paid attention they started selling ‘high definition’ cds and ‘gold cds’ along with many other scams to lighten your wallet. Now they are starting to notice that those durn kids came out with a far better way to get music.

The best thing the industry can do is give each medium the same attention and breaks then see what wins out in the market. Artificial pricing and screwing with customers will simply push them into other options. There are many arguments and they all started when someone was able to record a singer to a record.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Does it really cost $5-$10 more to make a Blu-Ray than a DVD? NO!

“According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing Blu-ray Disc media will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs (one molding machine instead of two, no birefringence problems) offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and low cost hard-coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As production volumes increase the production costs should fall and eventually be comparable to DVDs. ” – http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

• caradrake says:

What you’ve quoted seems to say that in the future, the costs of producing a blu-ray will not be higher… but that is in the future. Right now, production costs are still higher.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

That FAQ was from a few years ago, when Blu-Ray first came on the market. Really, a dollar premium vs dvd is understandable today.

• Silverhawk says:

Uh, I can buy BD blanks for $1 each or less now. I’d say the costs have come down.

• bill793 says:

This. The last movie I raid theater tickets for was Paranormal….I was seeing red after the movie ended and I realized how badly we go screwed out of our money…There’s no recourse, as 90% of reviews are paid for…same with music cds….1 decent song out of 10….and *we* are the criminals

14. JlGomez says:

WOW.. Didnt notice.. I downloaded 6 movies over the night.. I didnt have any issues.. r they sure they did something or maybe they think they did.. o wait there a knock on my door.. “who could it me now” Department of Homeland Security.. the reason everyone pirates movies is the crazy box office prices.. $10 to see a movie..

15. segfault, registered cat offender says:

I’m surprised that none of the cat enthusiasts here have decried the animal abuse depicted above–taking a hideously ugly orange cat and dying part of its fur black.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

“hideously ugly orange cat”

No cat is ever ugly. You never know, that cat’s owner may be reading this blog, and get all teary eyed. How dare you hurt a cat owners feelings, you monster.

• Doncosmic says:

I love Calico’s even if most of them tend to be rather mean girls.

• segfault, registered cat offender says:

Mean? The same could be said about 99% of all cats… 99% of all cats give the other 1% a bad name.

16. FatLynn says:

If they would just upgrade it to a “War on Piracy”, then they’d see some real results!

17. shell_beach says:

Your domain name change example is different than the mashups’s…. why would you do that.
    TorrentMovies.com does not equal stealmovies.com

Seriously your skewing the facts by adding your own opinion in here, i have re-downloaded my entire dvd collection from torrent sites and that is not STEALING.
    so whats with the fox news tactic?

• foofish says:

Downloading isn’t the stealing.. If you seed even .00000005k of that torrent while you’re downloading, you are a pirate.

18. YouDidWhatNow? says:

The tighter they clench their fist, the more they will lose their grip.

The MPAA and RIAA are utterly out of control, and essentially every action they have taken in the past several years has been wildly anti-consumer. Not a single thing they’ve done is going to stem piracy – to the contrary, all their antics are simply pushing more and more people towards piracy.

Additionally, DRM should be outlawed. I’ve described why before, but I’ll just state it again because it’s one huge reason why would-be legitimate buyers are pushed either to piracy, or to not buy the movie (or pirate it) at all and do without. In either case, the content mafia loses money – DRM never, ever, protects or generates them revenue – it only punishes the would-be legitimate consumer.

19. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

“The names of the sites themselves remain unknown;”

If nobody misses them or can name them then why is this news and not fake news?

• RvLeshrac says:

It is always news. But the torrent sites which are closed are sites that no one was really using in the first place.

50 down, 100,000 to go.

• QuantumCat says:

I wonder if they’re not listing names because they’re lying about the number they closed.

20. sufreak says:

I have a filesever and I put all my movies there. Like the famous already posted picture says..I click, load and am done. No waiting, no fuss. All my DVDs are in a big plastic bin in the attic.

21. donjumpsuit says:

If you don’t want your content pirated, make a system easy for purchase, and at the correct price.

95% of music used to be pirated. iTunes came, made it easy, and at the right price. Now in the U.S. pirated music is way down.

The movie companies are hoping the general public doesn’t know about free torrented movies. Most of the general public doesn’t.

Netflix is so popular, why not just make movies available online the day of DVD release for $3.99. $3.99 is the current price of rental, why can’t I keep it? It makes no sense. I usually only watch the movie once anyway. Right now, a new DVD hardcopy is about $20-30 retail, and $13 on Amazon. IT IS TOO MUCH.

In the theater, I pay $10, and have to pay another $12 for popcorn and a drink, and you wonder why I download movies? A single click and 12 minutes later I have a feature length DVD of a new release.

Rethink setting the market price at a level that makes sense.

• QuantumCat says:

Reminds me of a story I read (maybe here?) a while back–Microsoft was having huge issues with people pirating Office in China–so they lowered the price point (to $30 I think)… and what do you know? Sales went way up!

Obviously that’s sort of an extreme price drop, but if it’s convenient and affordable, people are more likely to buy it.

• FrugalFreak says:

BUTBUTTTT, They have Mercedes and mansions to pay for. You don’t want them living like the common folk do ya?

22. YouDidWhatNow? says:

“Now I’m never going to see Inception!”

…lucky bastard.

23. Beeker26 says:

Nobody seems to have any idea which sites have been taken down — no one in the torrent community has reported any missing sites. So I’m really left wondering what exactly they did, if anything.

24. Mike says:

Closing down sites will hardly do anything. How about this MPAA? Get rid of all those ridiculous licensing issues and bandwidth limits that makes streaming movies difficult? I only pirate stuff that I can’t get on instant watch or find easily on DVD.

But no, go after the sites, that is a winning strategy. How long will it take me to find a replacement site? Let me check. Wow, five seconds.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I don’t really torrent stuff… I’m all for paying a reasonable price for available movies, but there ARE movies that are not available any other way. Notably, “Song of the South” has never been officially released by Disney. Yea, I got that.

BTW, I don’t care WHAT the law Disney paid for says, I still consider Mickey Mouse to be public domain. Screw you, Disney.

• Doncosmic says:

I don’t really torrent movies, but I do download a lot of TV, though it is mostly foreign stuff that is not aired here.

25. evnmorlo says:

Closing trackers is immoral. Movie theaters and courthouses should be put out of operation until this corporate thuggery stops.

26. Outrun1986 says:

Its worse in Japan where if you want to get a CD you have to choose from 6 different editions (sometimes there are even more) each with different songs, covers and extra content on them. Worse yet if you go to a concert and buy the CD there its another special edition with special content on it that you can’t get it you buy it at a normal store and there are only a set number of these produced and when they are gone they are gone. You have to ballot for concert tickets too which means that even if you want the stuff really bad you might not get a ticket for the concert and you might not even get a chance to buy that CD. Buying the ticket on the streets in or a shop doesn’t work because the tickets issued to the members that hit the ballot for them have names on them and they verify you at the door and if you aren’t the person on the ticket then you might not be let into the concert. Its possible that you can get in but you would have to go through pretty elaborate means to get in. If you can’t make it to the show then you can have the person who’s name is on the ticket come with you and explain the situation to the show facility.

So there is basically no way to see all the content legally unless you purchase every single one of these limited editions and in US dollars some CD’s are over $50 each in Japan. Japan’s economy is in the crapper just like everywhere else so for most average fans of a certain band purchasing multiple CD’s to get all the content is far out of reach. Not hard to see why piracy continues to thrive when the music industry pulls these kind of stunts!!!

27. Mxx says:

you know what’s interesting, they did not announce which sites got shutdown.
    torrentfreak also doesn’t know which sites got shutdown.
    nobody reported any sites being shutdown…
    so some people are questioning if anything happened at all and if it’s must marking BS by mpaa

28. stevied says:

Finally, a step in the right direction.

29. oldgoat says:

Newsgroups + SSL = a big fuck you to MPAA

30. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Would be nice if our government fought for the regular citizens as it does for the MPAA.

31. AnthonyC says:

I like movies. I own lots of DVDs- hundreds of movies, dozens of seasons of my favorite TV shows. I subscribe to Hulu and Netflix and use them often. I rent from Amazon video frequently. Exactly the kind of customer the big companies want, right?

While I don’t use torrent sites, I still stream movies and TV illegally. Most of the time it is shows that aren’t legally streamable. Sometimes it’s stuff I already own, but I don’t have the DVD with me. Other times it’s something I’ve never seen before- and if I like it, I’ll end up buying it.
    I *want* to pay for good content, because that’s how more good content gets made. But I’m not gonna buy blindly; I need to try it out first. And once I do buy it, it’s mine. Don’t tell me I can’t rip it to my laptop so I can watch it on the go. Don’t say I get a digital copy, but it can only be used on a single computer- and that if that computer dies, I’m out of luck. No matter what the law says, ethically, that isn’t your decision, any more than you get to decide to search my bag and my receipt as I leave a store with stuff I already bought.

32. summeroflove says:

Similarly, I also buy most of my music and am on Netflix like a good consumer. However, the one thing that irritates me to no end is that places like Netflix or iTunes are severely limited in the international content they choose to carry. Sure, Netflix will have tons of movies from Great Britain and a lot of indies from around the world but seriously, try finding a Korean drama or a good selection of Australian or Canadian television shows (they even speak English for god’s sake!!), or more than a handful of Japanese movies that don’t involve samurais or horror. iTunes won’t let you log into an international iTunes because it won’t take your credit card. So if there is a song or album I want from another country, it had better be on their small list. Sites don’t usually stream from country to country. So, seriously screw that. I have NO qualms about downloading any of that stuff. You’d think that the US would have better access to this stuff. For now they’re just choosing to remake it. (blergh).

33. BytheSea says:

And 150 pop up in their place, if I understand that Greek myth correctly.

34. FrugalFreak says:

I’ve found my own solutions
    1. Pay cheap prices on amazon to watch ($.99 after VOD credit and buy DVD discount for Inception), Amazon daily $.99 VOD deal or pay for unlimited netflix.
    2. Everything else I buy secondhand for cheap or I just don’t buy crap releases and don’t financially support.these campaigns.