White Castle Offers Test To See If She Really Loves You

If your love is true — I’m talking love as deep as what you’ll find in Before Sunset or the hearts of Buffalo Bills fans — it can survive absolutely anything, including the complete forgetting of Valentine’s Day or its utter degradation, which would encompass dinner reservations at White Castle.

The cult favorite burger joint offers up a way to test that love. Set up a reservation for two at a participating White Castle, and if your significant other takes it in stride, your love is either everlasting or the relationship is so lifeless that you’ll be stuck together for eternity due to inertia. If you’re left alone in a huff, at least you’re in for a night of greasy goodness.

What’s the least impressive place you’ve dined with a loved or liked one on V-Day?

Valentine’s Day at White Castle [White Castle]
(Thanks, Chris!)

Comments

1. rewind says:

Least impressive: combination KFC/Taco Bell drive through…but we did eat it in a hotel…that I used rewards points for.

2. samonela says:

Is there still time to make reservations at a Long John Silver’s or A&W??

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think last Valentine’s Day we probably ate at home because we don’t celebrate it and usually forget that February 14 is a holiday. Last year we were talking to some friends about our weekends and they told us where they went for Valentine’s Day. There was a pause, and both of us went “oh yeah, it was Valentine’s Day.”

• Rachacha says:

Right there with you. When I first met my wife, we went out for V-day, and after waiting untold hours for a table (we were told 1.5 hours, but ended up waiting about 5…on the positive side, we were able to get to know each other really well early on in our relationship) we vowed never to celebrate Valentines day on Valentines day. Sure, we will exchange a card*, or perhaps a token gift (Valentines day M&Ms), but we don’t do anything special. We instead opt to have a parent’s night out sometime in the summer where we celebrate our “Valentine’s day in July” which really catches the restaurant staff off guard.

* We both have expressed our disappointment with greeting cards for significant others as they are super sweet and fake, or the sexual innuendo is just over the top, so we have decided to find the most over the top card we can find loaded with innuendo or “barfy” sweetness. It is quite entertaining.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Waited five hours for a table….no wonder she married you, you have to be the most patient person on the planet!!

• alana0j says:

I will probably go for the fast food this year, the only meaning Valentine’s Day has is it’s the day my ex goes to court on a domestic assault charge…just another day this year

• samonela says:

Did you really just refer to it as a “holiday”?

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

That’s what it is, isn’t it?

• samonela says:

hol·i·day
            –noun
          1. a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.
          2. any day of exemption from work ( distinguished from working day).
          3. a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.: New businesses may be granted a one-year tax holiday.
          4. a religious feast day; holy day, esp. any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism.
          5. Sometimes, holidays. Chiefly British . a period of cessation from work or one of recreation; vacation.
          6. an unintentional gap left on a plated, coated, or painted surface.

I don’t see Valentines (or mothers/fathers/birthdays for that matter) meeting this criteria…

4. Jubes says:

Sounds like my type of Valentine’s dinner!

5. Mighty914 says:

February 14 is a Monday, so of course, we’ll be watching Raw that night.

• UncleAl says:

My wife and I will be going out for Valentine’s Day on the weekend so we can watch Watson’s first round on Jeopardy! Yes, we’re geeks — and I’m not sure what the J! producers were thinking when they scheduled those dates.

6. Robofish says:

luckily my fiance HATES Valentines day. WOOHOO

7. phira says:

+10 points for Before Sunset reference.

8. The cake is a lie! says:

Unless there are places which allow you to eat naked that I’m not aware of in my town, then our tradition of keeping it in the house and enjoying our BBQd steak and mashed potatoes is the most romantic eating of food that we do on that horrible day.

9. Alvis says:

Eww… Only one in NJ is in Rahway…

• viriiman says:

With you on this one. I was excited until I googled and found out where NJ’s was.

• ahecht says:

What are you talking about? There are several others in NJ, including Tom’s River, Howell, Eatontown, South Amboy, New Brunswick, Metuchen, South Plainfield, Plainfield, Green Brook, and Linden.

• Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

The phone number is for Rahway, but other locations might be doing it. Last year, there was one central number handling all of NJ’s reservations (I don’t remember if it was that same number, but it probably was). Try calling the number and seeing which are available. I ate at the Hasbrouck Heights location and it was packed. I don’t think they’d discontinue it there.

10. veritybrown says:

I’ve been taken to McDonald’s on a date. He was more embarrassed about it than I was. It was kind of a relief that the relationship never went anywhere (NOT because he took me to McDonald’s, but because he was so dang embarrassed about it).

This seems like a good test to me. If you don’t like someone well enough that you’re happy to hang out with them at White Castle, you probably don’t like them well enough to be in love with them.

11. Red Cat Linux says:

I miss White Castle. It would be complete nostalgia overload. If my valentine included a trip to a White Castle for dinner that would be a win for him knowing how I’d love it.

If dinner was at the corner McD’s that would have been much less thoughtful.

12. energynotsaved says:

Wish we had a White Castle….

13. nocturnal99 says:

Set up a reservation for two at a participating White Castle, and if your significant other takes it in stride, leave her. She and you should not be eating that crap. There are better burger joints that you can go to.

14. myCatCracksMeUp says:

Costco!

We usually don’t go out on V-day, but one year we decided to at the last minute, since our pantry was rather bare. We quickly found out that you can’t just show up at a restaurant on that day and get a table. After being turned away from several restaurants we went to Costco and got pizza or hot dogs (I forget which) and the woman working at the counter gave my husband a really hard time (but in a nice way)!

15. GearheadGeek says:

After a crappy dinner experience on Valentine’s Day many years ago (that in fact was so bad we never went back to what had been one of our favorite restaurants because the memory of overcrowding, limited poor menu and crappy service overshadowed our previous enjoyment of the place) we always cook a nice dinner at home, or celebrate V-day a few days early or late. The sentiment between us is much more important than supporting the Valentine’s-industrial complex.

16. teke367 says:

As a former Waiter, I generally plead with my girlfriend (or whoever at the time) to let us stay in that night, and I will make it up tenfold within the week*. It’s a horrible day to be out at restaurants, its crowded, and most of the people are there because they feel like its required. From my experience, I’d say if half of the customers during the dinner rush enjoyed themselves I’d be surprised.

*Same goes for Mothers Day.

But White Castle has been doing this for awhile now. And every year when I see it I think “I’ll be damned, White Castle is open during the day? I just assumed it was only open after all teh bars clsoed.”

17. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Oh, right. Valentine’s Day.

18. anime_runs_my_life says:

He doesn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. He celebrates White Day:

• Hi_Hello says:

i heard of this white day when I was in that area…

I just realized that WOMEN there GIVE the MEN stuff on V-DAY!!!
      wow what a concept.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Nice part about that is if you don’t get any Valentine’s chocolates, you’re off the hook for White chocolate.

Nicely and gently dispenses the need to follow up a Choo Choo Choose You card with a Let’s Bee Friends card.

• Conformist138 says:

Wait… there are girls who don’t give a guy anything in return? That’s lame. I always give my sweetie something fun. Cooking at home together peacefully is also much better than going to a crowded restaurant.

19. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

We don’t go anywhere on Valentine’s. My husband loves me year-round. I don’t need a made up commercial holiday for him to prove his love.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I do buy my daughter a little gift. I’m not denying her the pleasure of a rampant commercial holiday.

• 12345678nine says:

Haha my mom bought me valentine gifts too. I think my last one was a pink and red Furby. Yeah, it’s been a while.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

But it wouldn’t be validated, somehow, if you didn’t rub the noses of a bunch of complete strangers on the Internet in it, would it.

20. raytube says:

For me and my loved one, It’s the local Waffle House! They have a Valentines Special, they decorate the place, and we don’t need reservations, because we are the only ones there!
    Service is great, there are no wait times. It really has become our tradition. We can go eat fancy anytime, but to dine at the Waffle House is special.

21. Hi_Hello says:

I refused to take anyone out on V-day. I’m glad my s.o is cool with that.
    Any girl who measure their s.o. love on that holiday are whack.

there are some stuff I like about V-day. In grade school, we spend time making cards and getting candies. I like those heart candies and the messages. They know have different flavor so it doesn’t take like chalk. I forgot where I got the new flavor but I chalk is good.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I did have fun making a Valentine’s box for grade school parties, and it was fun picking out the little foldy valentines in the package at the store.

22. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I don’t know about least impressive, but the most embarrassing V-Day dinner I’ve ever had was when my ex suggested we go out for dinner that day to a place we’d both been wanting to try. He had made some money recently freelancing, so I thought, what a nice idea. Right. After we’d ordered and eaten, and I’d been extra nice to him the whole time, and we’d sat there with the check for a few minutes, he said, “Why don’t you go ahead and pay, I want to go home.” I saw red… no, white… but I managed not to actually commit assault right there in the middle of a nice seafood place.

23. cromartie says:

So myself and my wife can take the food and flush it directly down the toilet, sparing our digestive systems the indignity?

No thanks. We’ll do the Melting Pot again.

24. Emerald4me says:

It is easier just to celebrate 2 weeks later. No crowds in the restaurants, and the presents are 1/2 price. Hubs and I started doing this when we were saving up for a house and we still do it.

25. HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t like to go out on Valentine’s Day; it’s way too crowded. Since BF is 1200 miles away, that’s not going to happen anyway. We’ll talk on the phone probably and watch a movie or show over MSN. Our next visit is planned for another weekend in February, so we can celebrate then if we want to. I have been promised a trip to a fondue place. :)

26. nutbastard says:

I usually just end up masturbating while I cry and eat ice cream in the shower.

27. jht says:

The only thing I hate about White Castle is that they aren’t in Massachusetts. Mmm…

28. Big Mama Pain says:

I’d be willing to bet you’re going to get a pretty normal experience eating at a fast food joint for V-day instead of a restaurant-they are used to the volume. When you eat at a nice restaurant on a day like that, you’re just asking for a piss poor experience; it’s a total nightmare to cook for/wait on so many two-tops, logistically just bad news. Show us restaurant peeps some love and do something crazy, like….feed each other fried chicken naked in bed! THAT’S romance

29. foofish says:

It’s times like these that it sucks dating a vegetarian.

30. Grodoro says:

A couple of years ago on Valentine’s Day I went by myself to a Tennessee Williams play. Then I went home and had a peanut butter sandwich.

31. manofsticks says:

Last year I brought my girlfriend to a small pizza shack in town. But to my credit, it was one of only a small number of places we could walk to (we didn’t have a car), and I knew someone who worked there and got the pepperoni into the shape of a heart, which she liked.

32. Gamma1099 says:

Friends of my did this last year, and they still talk about it with huge smiles on their faces. I believe they have already made reservations for this year.

33. MEoip says:

I take my wife to White Castle every other year on the off years we go out for pizza. Since my sister in law’s babysit for us we eat early so they can go out on dates at a reasonable hour.

34. FatLynn says:

I did this last year, at the Clark/Petersen location. Wanna see the pics?