Use A Beer Holder Thingy To Stop Shaving Cream Rust Rings

You know, a lot of those “New Uses For XYZ Random Item” stories magazines come up with are really pretty stupid, but I hate rust rings on my bathtub and I am incapable of remembering that they will happen if I leave the shaving cream just sitting there.

Real Simple suggests using one of those foam beer insulators (nobody can tell me if I’m supposed to call them a cozy or a koozie, so I just gave up) to prevent this from happening. My parents recently left a rather hideous one at my apartment (it says something about No Limit Texas Hold ‘Em poker and I hate it), so I’m going to give it a shot. Maybe if it works, I’ll spray paint it or something.

If anyone has a better way to prevent these stupid rings, aside from lobotomizing myself with my WaterPik, let us know in the comments.

Beer Koozie as Shaving-Cream Holder [Real Simple]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Switch to wet shaving and make your own lather? A ceramic bowl or scuttle won’t leave rings.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I love the bowl/soap method. The bar costs les than a bottle of shaving cream, and lasts significiantly longer (we’re talking 10 times longer). I will never use a can again.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

And you can keep it warm. Plus, there is no nicer feeling than a brush full of warm lather against your skin. Soothing.

• nrich239 says:

Even the upfront costs of the bowl and brush aren’t that expensive either. I love my wet set and wont touch the can crap unless on vacation somewhere.

• crugg says:

• Doc S says:

This.

Nothing like a warm brushload of Taylor’s Avocado or Proraso in the morning. And, they smell like “guy” instead of a chemical factory.

• LordTwinkie says:

I haven’t used canned stuff in years!

2. joe643 says:

Don’t shave!

3. Goldensummer says:

A thick layer of clear nail polish on the bottom will do the trick or you could put it away when you were done with it. :)

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

this. i’ve done the nail polish thing and it’s fairly effective unless the can takes any abuse, in which case it can chip.
      also, seems like the foam would harbor moisture and grow mold unless you make sure to swap them out or dry it off completely without the can in it once in a while.
      [for me, putting the can *away* includes the value "on the side of the tub" for *away*]

• Reading_Comprehension says:

THIS. I’ve used clear nail polish on tiny pock marks and rust spots on my car. It will eventually wear away from exposure to the elements, but won’t spread in the meantime.

• RandomHookup says:

Amazingly, many men don’t have any nail polish lying around.

• witeowl says:

Amazingly, Meg is not a man. Nor, I imagine, are most people who shave in the shower.

• Goldensummer says:

Oddly enough the stuff is quite useful and maybe they should. I’m a woman and the only reason I have it is for its uses around the house. Rust ring? Nail polish. Run in the nylon? Nail polish. Little screw coming out because the barrel is partially stripped. Nail polish. Metal of your ring turning your skin green. Nail polish. It costs a buck… it last for years… Don’t be an condescending ass on the internet after a helpful suggestion… nail polish can’t fix that.

• darcmosch says:

I use conditioner. It works well and keeps my baby face feeling all baby soft

4. Straspey says:

Shave with beer…

5. Me - now with more humidity says:

I make my own beard at home.

6. PHRoG says:

WaterPik…nice namedrop. ;)

7. GrantGannon says:

Koozie…I swear I will FREAK out if anyone calls it a huggie.

• Reading_Comprehension says:

Isn’t it cozie/cozy? I thought a koozie is what men buy chocolate, flowers and diamonds to get to?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Aren’t “huggies” those great sugar water things in the plastic barrel like bottles with the foil seal?

• Galium says:

No they are like pampers but from a different company, but I guess they would work. I would think though, that a grown man would look silly using huggies unless there where todlers around.

8. NettyM says:

You know, Meg, a WaterPik is often used by doctor’s offices to flush ear wax out of clogged ears.

9. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I shave at the sink like normal men.

Oh wait. Meg, is that you?

• stock2mal says:

I shave in the shower using my anti-fog mirror, there is less cleanup. I guess I am not like normal men since I don’t stand by the sink so I can flex and wink at myself after I have achieved an ultra close shave.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That is the most wasteful method of shaving, though it does have it’s benefits.

• nbs2 says:

Not really. I’d probably just stand there like a statue otherwise (it’s hard to get moving at 4:30 am)

• tooluser says:

Yep, nothing wasteful about enjoying warm water flowing all over my body at the godforsaken hour at which I get up. And the copious amount of water actually softens my beard instead of just pretending to. I rarely cut myself while shaving in the shower, but often do at the sink.

To avoid rust rings, buy the more expensive but still baseline product. Edge Gel can bottoms, for instance, do not rust. Barbasol cans rust quite easily. And gel works way better than cream (which is foam, really).

Shave every day and you’ll always look keen!

• Bativac says:

You are also supposed to stroke your chin and smile as you think, “Damn! What a close, smooth shave!”

Then your girlfriend comes in, puts her arms around you, and smiles at the closeness of your shave.

Then from out of nowhere a chorus of voices screams “GILETTE! THE BEST A MAN CAN GET!!!”

• nbs2 says:

I have a tendency to wait a while between shaves, so I keep my moderately worn down blade and a spare can of cheap gel in the shower. I’ll then finish up at the sink. If I just shave at the sink, it’s a nightmare to get all the little hairs off (and don’t even think about suggesting I shave before my shower).

To keep the rust from forming, I just use the cap like a stand and keep the can in there upside-down.

• dolemite says:

I shave at the sink, but I leave the can on the sink, and the bottom rusts and leaves a ring on the sink.

• Hoot says:

That’s funny. I always thought you were a woman because your name looks a lot like the female “Lois”.

10. Etoiles says:

I actually gave up and started buying the creamier, non-lathering stuff that comes in all-plastic containers. Skintimate and Target store brand both have variations.

(For me it wasn’t just the rust ring on the bottom, it was the way that no matter how careful I was, the top up by the pump would inevitably get nasty too.)

11. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Been doing this for years. I didn’t think it was newsworthy. (Slaps self)

12. jrobie says:

I put a piece of clear packing tape across the bottom of the can.

13. reddbettie says:

I take home paper coasters from bars and use them under the shaving cream. As soon as starts getting gross, toss it.

14. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Washcloth on the tub edge seems to work well. Water is going to seep into the beer cozy and it will rust anyway, but since your goal is to keep the rust from the tub, just put down a washcloth. Even if it gets wet, it’ll keep the rust from touching the tub surface. If the washcloth falls off, you could use those little velcro dots to stick it to the tub.

15. Alvis says:

Just shave dry like me.

16. aloria says:

I just shave with soap and water. But I am a chick, so…

17. skepticalbunneh says:

I use King of Shaves “Alphagel” that comes in a plastic tube, like oh I dunno face wash.

It’s THE BEST STUFF EVAR!! Let alone you can actually see your skin while shaving which if you are like me with light color hair is very helpful.

18. Cameraman says:

I started shaving when I was 14. When I was 16, I was shaving twice a day. When I was 17, I gave up and grew a beard. I trim it and stuff when the wife begins to grow whiny, but otherwise, forget it.

/why, no, I don’t have anything constructive to add to this conversation.

19. LightningUsagi says:

My grandmother always had one of those rubber discs (the things that to cover drains) on the side of the sink to keep my grampa’s shaving cream can on.

20. ellemdee says:

Seems like this would be a breeding ground for mold if left in the shower.

21. Rachacha says:

Three Words: Laser Hair Removal

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

four words
      i cannot afford it

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Five words:

It is usually a scam.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

nah, fortunately not always. my sister got some on her face and although it took the expected three treatments, she hasn’t had any problems in 4 years now. so they aren’t all a scam. overpriced maybe, but she did get what she paid for and the price was worth it to her

• witeowl says:

No, not clinical laser hair removal. Those little tweezer things they sell on late-night tv are junk, of course, but not professional laser hair removal. The only problem is that it really only works on people with black hair and light skin.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I had “professional” laser hair removal, and I’m a perfect candidate, with VERY light skin and dark hair. Google American Laser Center sometime, you’ll see what I mean by scam. My mom bought me 6 treatments for my underarms, and I went to appointments for over 2 years.. I’m still as hairy as I ever was. I don’t know what they did wrong, but it never worked.

• witeowl says:

Three words: I’m too blonde.

22. tator says:

Worked in a can plant in the early 1970′s (when beer was still in 3 piece cans). We actually made beer and shaving cream cans in the same plant albeit on different lines. The blanks for the sides were the same size so it was possible to put the shaving cream top (the part with the shoulder is put on when the can is made and the can is filled through the hole for the nozzle assembly) on a beer can body.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

should have gotten a patent on that one.

• Galium says:

This answers two questions for me. Why the shaving cream can fits so well, and why my beer tasted soapy during the 70′s.

23. Ace says:

This is what I’ve been doing for years — turn the shaving cream can UPSIDE DOWN and let it rest on the plastic cap supplied.

24. MuffinSangria says:

For the women (or men, I don’t judge), try shaving with moisturizing condition or body wash. Haven’t had a nick, cut or razor burn since switching. It’s much cheaper, lasts longer, and come in plastic bottles so rust isn’t an issue.

• AnthonyC says:

Conditioner definitely works, but shaving cream is better for the skin on my face. Conditioner makes me break out on my neck.

25. packcamera says:

If you scruffy hipsters would shave ore than once every full moon, then the cheapo can of Barbasol wouldn’t have the chance to rust.

BTW – My mug & brush show no signs of rust after many years of use…

26. ovalseven says:

Shave with Noxzema. Even the generic Dollar Store stuff works great.

27. probus says:

My Grandpa used a plastic lid from something like a Pringles or a a mixed nuts can that fits on the bottom of the shaving cream like it was made for it.

28. probus says:

29. NumberSix says:

I use a rubber coaster.

30. michelsondl says:

Or you could just stop buying the canned goop crap and use REAL shaving cream or soap. If you’re scared of the D.E. blades or a straight razor, you can still get a superior shave by using a real cream or soap and a decent brush.

31. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I just use Schick Intuition. No shaving cream required.

32. JackieEggs says:

just use hair conditioner to shave with.. When I was in hairdressing school, us gals would shave with Climatress by Redken ( don’t know if they still make it ) then skip the latter half of our day and hit the beach.

33. Galium says:

Place your can in a different spot each time until you get five rings connected. Then say that it is an Olympic pattern, that you had especially made and cost a lot of money.

34. crugg says:

Wait, people still use that goo in a can!?

35. Wickedly says:

“..nobody can tell me if I’m supposed to call them a cozy or a koozie, so I just gave up”

Around here we call them “coolies”. One of my neighbors will NOT drink a beer without one. Stay classy!

36. Darkneuro says:

I didn’t think of the can holder, although I may try that. I usually just dab clear nailpolish around the bottoms of mine when I bring them in. Seals it up, no ring!

37. Rhinoguy says:

I’ve stored the can on its top for thirty plus years since my girlfriend showed me the trick. Most cans sit upside down even without the cap on.

38. trencherman says:

I use one of those rubber caps used to re-seal canned pet food. They are insanely cheap, and fit perfectly on the bottom of the can of shaving cream.

39. gman863 says:

If you have a flat bathroom vanity top, get a ceramic flower pot holder. Wal-Mart has them in various colors during Spring/Summer in the garden center for about $2.

I bought two (along with two ceramic flower pots) for my double sink to hold shaving stuff, toothbrushes, etc. When they get dirty, stick them in the dishwasher.

40. kylere1 says:

Hurts less when you drop it on your foot less this way too!

41. toddkravos says:

Clear nail polish works just as good, if not better, and doesn’t look so PWT

42. Jen says:

I rest mine on the plastic lid to a Pringles can.

43. CFinWV says:

Just use a tiny squirt of hair conditioner instead of shaving cream, problem solved!

44. savvy9999 says:

lid from a pringles can fits perfectly on the bottom of my shaving cream can. YMMV.

45. agold says:

1) Switch to a shaving cream that either has a cap on the bottom or has rust-proof metal.
    2) Cut the very bottom off a plastic cup and set the shaving cream on that like a coaster.