WSJ Says Verizon iPhone Confirmed

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that according to “a person familiar with the matter,” the iPhone will soon be available to Verizon subscribers. The news is expected to be the subject of a mysterious event being held Tuesday at New York’s Lincoln Center.

The event, described only as a chance for Verizon to “share the latest news,” will feature Lowell McAdam, president and chief operating officer of Verizon Communications Inc., which jointly owns Verizon Wireless with Vodafone Group PLC.

AT&T has an exclusive on the iPhone since its launch in 2007. No date for the Verizon version of the phone was given.

Verizon to Finally Get iPhone [WSJ]

Comments

1. SkreanAme says:

They probably should have done this before Android came out.

2. Cactusjack_1999 says:

OK… How many times has this acctually happened. “A Source familiar to the matter” since the iPhone came out?

Seriously… 15, 16 times maybe? The WSJ is grasping at straws. They’ve confirmed the iPhone for Verizon so many times, they’re hoping one time they are gonna be right!

• PsiCop says:

+1. Old story from the WSJ. Yawn.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

This one is real. If you’re skeptical, how about this: if it isn’t announced on Tuesday, I’ll stop posting on Consumerist forever. If it is, then you do.

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I wonder if this will actually improve the iphone experience or make it worse. We all know AT&T is a pretty crappy network all together.

I’m curious.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Well, it kind of depends. New York City and San Francisco are the biggest drains to the AT&T network in those locations. DC isn’t bad, but if enough people decide to stay on Verizon for the iPhone, and some people leave AT&T for Verizon, I as an AT&T user will probably see an improvement in service.

Overall, with the exception of the occasional dropped call (which I’ve experienced with Verizon as well), I don’t have a problem with my AT&T service.

• majortom1981 says:

This will make atts network better and verizons worse. Atts seems worse because the influx of users that att got because of the iphone all at once.

This will take off a big chunk of iphone users and throw them offf to verizons network. their by reducing congestion on atts network.

• jesusofcool says:

Yeah, and if every idiot surgically attached to their iphone comes to verizon, then it will be a crap network as well.
      I really hope this doesn’t happen.

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Apple is set to announce the iPad 2 later in January, but that was on the books. Whether it talks about a supposed iPhone for Verizon is another matter. I certainly think there’s something to the rumors, especially since there are also rumors that there will be a minor hardware update to the iPhone and another update of iOS 4.

5. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

I’ll believe this a week after I hear about the antenna issues Verizon is having with it, and people that I know that have Verizon as their wireless provider start strutting with a smug sense of self-satisfaction.

Well, more so than usual, anyway.

6. Nighthawke says:

So far, Apple has stayed mum on this and they are usually they ones that do the announcing before anything major like this is done.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That’s the point, though. Apple isn’t going to be at CES, Verizon is set to make some other announcements, and IF this rumor is true, Apple will be announcing the iPhone for Verizon at its own event.

7. alexwade says:

I still have a hard time believing that price-gouging, device-crippling, control-freak Steve Jobs and price-gouging, phone-crippling, control-freak Verizon can work together. If I heard iPhone was coming to Sprint, then I would believe it.

• Gstump says:

right cause sprint has so many good phones like the EVO 4g and the EVO4g not to mention the uh EVO4g, ok so sprint only has 1 good phone. the other android devices seem to have minimal support, my friend bought a samsung moment form them last year and he cant even get android 2.2

• howie_in_az says:

There’s also the 4G Slide, or whatever the new EVO 4G with keyboard is called.

And the Samsung Galaxy with the slide-out keyboard and front-facing camera.

And the venerable HTC Hero (non-4G tho).

8. DcChick says:

As a (recently) former Apple tech employee, I just don’t see this happening now.
    First, I can’t imagine an iPhone that can’t access cellular data and internet data all at once so unless something magical has happened recently on Verizon’s network this is a huge reason the iPhone won’t be coming to Verizon right now.
    Secondly, (and more telling) there have been no murmurs on any Apple tech campus from what I can tell. From product launch experience I can tell you they don’t *ever* release any information prior to the launch…they begin short training sessions the minute it hits public knowledge. What they will do is schedule mandatory over time and enforce a strict no sick days policy on the days surrounding an announcement. There’s been no activity so I’m betting no launch.

• aloria says:

No sick days? Seriously? So if I worked for Apple, I’d have to come in with a broken arm or pneumonia if they decided to give the Jesus phone to Verizon?

• majortom1981 says:

HUH? your not very knowledgable for a former apple employee. Apple IS doing this. read the tech blogs. apple stated no sick or vaca days for all of february and later part of january.

• pot_roast says:

Yeah, and we all know just how spot on and reliable all the tech blogs can be.

That “vacation time blackout” is not out of the ordinary. it is standard procedure. Why? MacWorld Expo is around the same time, for one.

9. Kibit says:

Supposedly Verizon is making a big announcement this coming week. So maybe thats why WSJ has said this.

10. greyfots says:

maybe they’re current phones aren’t keeping up wit expectations,
    and since AT&T has had such a great profit with the Iphone
    Verizon want’s some a that moola

11. Straspey says:

The New York Times is reporting this story as well – saying reporters have been invited to an event at Lincoln Center next Tuesday:

“Verizon Is Said to Be Planning to Announce iPhone 4 on Its Network”

SAN FRANCISCO — Verizon Wireless plans to announce on Tuesday that it will soon begin selling Apple’s iPhone 4, according to a person with direct knowledge of the plans.

The long-expected arrival of the iPhone on Verizon will end years of exclusivity for AT&T and is likely to upend the smartphone market in the United States.

It is not clear how soon after the announcement, which will be made in New York, the phone will be available for sale.

On Friday afternoon, Verizon invited reporters to a news conference on Tuesday morning at Lincoln Center in Manhattan. The company did not say what it planned to announce, but given the timing less than a week after top Verizon executives gave a keynote speech at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, speculation in tech circles was rampant that Verizon would announce that it would begin selling the iPhone.

Verizon’s intentions to unveil an iPhone running on the company’s CDMA network early this year have long been known. The person with direct knowledge of the event, who declined to be named because plans for it were supposed to be confidential, said the company would do so at the Tuesday event, which will be headlined by Lowell McAdam, Verizon’s president.

A spokesman for Verizon Wireless declined to comment. A spokeswoman for Apple declined to comment.

READ MORE:

• pot_roast says:

Same vague crap.. “person with direct knowledge of the plans” .. no actual sources, just vague rumors by the same financial analysts that have been wrong about this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

There is no “Verizon iPhone” until Steve Jobs stands on stage and says it is so.

This Verizon announcement is probably more LTE stuff, or another Droid.. just like it was last time.

12. segfault, registered cat offender says:

If only Verizon offered service in my area… Unlike AT&T, the local CDMA provider offers 3G here.

13. penuspenuspenus says:

Wait… we’re supposed to get excited because a cellular company is getting a phone that has been on the market for quite a while already?

Maybe if Verizon was getting the Iphone 4.5 or 5 or something maybe it would be newsworthy.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Actually, Apple is supposedly going to announce some hardware upgrades to the iPhone so it’s very possible that both Verizon and AT&T will get an iPhone “4.5.”

14. sonneillon says:

Apple shot themselves in the foot with the ATT exclusivity. Don’t get me wrong they made a sh*t load of money with the iPhone but they could have gone from a sh*t load to enough money to topple a moderately sized government. I think if they had gone with ATT Verizon and sprint they could have easily doubled sales. Maybe even triple sales. They gave other companies a chance to get a foothold in and produce competing products.

• hansolo247 says:

I don’t agree. I think that those who really, really wanted an iPhone got one.

There’s sure to be some holdouts, but I don’t know if it will double or more.

What is more interesting to me is whether Verizon agreed to revenue sharing like AT&T did.

With that arrangement, Apple makes $3-400 more per phone sold than HTC, Motorola, or Samsung.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Apple hasn’t had rev share with AT&T since 2008.

• sonneillon says:

Those who really wanted an iphone were likely still in contract at the time. And there are also the not so early adopters and people who don’t like ATT. They could have been a bigger competitor, but as it is, they gave RIM and google a chance to keep them to less than 20 percent of the smartphone market.

15. consumed says:

I could not imagine verizon launching an iPhone on its CDMA/EVDO network. IF Verizon was going to launch an iPhone I would imagine it would be on their new 4G LTE network. AT&T is also launching an LTE network soon too. This could get interesting, because for the first time both carriers will be on the same technology protocols since the analog days. This means that the iPhone will have direct competition between the nation’s two largest carriers. That is a win-win situation.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

I think you may be right. why would they put it on 3gvwhen they are rolling out 4g lte now.my area is getting 4g now but I have Droid incredible and desire for an iPhone.

Actually should have said:I think you may be right. why would they put it on 3g when they are rolling out 4g lte now.my area is getting 4g now but I have Droid incredible and no desire for an iPhone.

16. JoJack82 says:

This time it is confirmed because Gizmodo was not invited to the event but other Apple friendly blogs were. Gizmodo is also currently in a good working relationship with Verizon so there is no reason they would not be invited by them. So It can only be assumed that Mr Jobs has asked Verizon to not allow Gizmodo.

17. ScottFromNY says:

If Verizon offered to pay the early termination fee for all AT&T customers (should the Verizon iPhone be announced), then AT&T Mobile would cease to be shortly after. Why? Think about all the new customers, all the unsubsidized phones bought within the new 20-months-before-upgrade period. It would be evil, yes, but the best business decision they could possibly make.

18. Mr. Charlie says:

This is news? I think this is like what… the 12th or 13th time I’ve heard this?

Long and short, if they had originally released this with Verizon I would’ve been sold on the spot.

But with all of the “Digital Rights Management” as well as other issues I have with Apple? Now, not so sure I’d get it even if it came out.

The only positive I get out of this is once again replaying the AT&T “fastest network” commercials in my head, and then remembering that it’s not that hard to be the fastest when you have one of the smallest.

On a realllllyyyyy good day I can: Stand on my roof, with one leg hanging over the edge, my hat cocked off to the left, and my tongue hanging out to the right and I might, MAYBE, get one bar for half a second.

APPLE = fail