Some Hotmail Users Report Vanishing Accounts — Microsoft Says Problem Is Fixed

Whenever you clean out your Hotmail inbox, you get a message complimenting you on the feat. Some Hotmail users reportedly found themselves with an accidentally clean inbox due to an apparent server error that has deleted their accounts

PC Magazine says some users — no report on how many — found their entire store of saved messages deleted over the weekend. BBC reports Microsoft says the issue has been “fully resolved.”

If your Hotmail has gone cold, let us know.

Hotmail Users Report Blank Inboxes [PC Magazine via Slashdot]

Comments

1. Rocket says:

People still use Hotmail?

• MRT says:

• ovalseven says:

I use it with the live.com domain and I love it. It works great with the Windows Live Mail app so I don’t have to use a web browser, and it does everything I need it to do.

• jrwn says:

Yep, it’s my junk email, I have had it since 93 or 94, back in high school.

• ChuckECheese says:

mmm, no. HM has been around since about ’96. The WWW didn’t exist in any currently recognizable form until about ’95.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Thank you for saying so, I was about to. I got my email account in 1998 thru hotmail, kept that for 4-5 years, then opened a new one. I’ve been a hotmail user for 12 years+. My first email was about 1996 or 1997 thru AOL sadly.

• cmdr.sass says:

People are still posting “People still do x”?

• JohnJ says:

Gmail gives me the creeps, because they scan the contents of your e-mails, for advertising purposes.

My ISP has a special deal with Hotmail, giving ISP customers a special @x.com address. That makes more potential e-mail addresses available.

That reminds me – I should really use my Hotmail address to use Skydrive. Skydrive provides “25 GB of free online storage”.

• JohnJ says:

>People still use Hotmail?

According to Wikipedia: “According to comScore (August 2010) Windows Live Hotmail is the world’s largest web-based email service with nearly 364 million users.”

• levelone says:

I’ve had my Hotmail account since before they were owned by Microsoft. I got it in 1996, so that’s been almost 15 years. It’s my primary address and I don’t see any reason to give it up. Email is email, I don’t need it to be trendy and hip, I need it to be a stable, usable product. Compare it to a phone number – if all of my friends and family know that number and it’s not getting overrun by spam and it does what I need it do, why would I change it? I’ve got free pop access and I can store my messages offline. I also like the fact that only the NSA is scanning my email, not Google AND the NSA, heh. ;)

2. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Hotmail has been doing this for some time now (weeks if not months). It happens any time you go to their site to check your mail instead of using a client.

3. proscriptus says:

I don’t use it very often today, but I’ve had a Hotmail account for 14 years, and this seems to happen once every 5-7 years. It happened to me maybe 10 years ago, and they did eventually get it sorted out.

MSN’s free web hosting & Skydrive make it worth having an account.

4. mtwmtw says:

Sure, why not? I’ve had mine since early the early 90s when I was in the Army. It was always good to have a permanent email since I was moving around so much. I still have it now for junk email etc…

5. AllanG54 says:

Is hotmail any different than gmail or do you write this because you think you’re above it all.

6. JohnJ says:

I use an e-mail client (Outlook), and keep my mail backed up, so I don’t worry about my saved mail disappearing.

• ChuckECheese says:

Outlook is so … weird. It’s clunky in its own ways. I used to use it for personal mail, then just got used to hacking through gmail and to a lesser extent yahoo mail. Yahoo mail won’t let you sync to Outlook unless you pay them $$.

On the other hand, if you’re working someplace where you’re concerned for your job, I recommend backing up your Outlook folders to your possession in case you need future contacts, work examples, or incriminating evidence.

7. mmcnary says:

I still have mine, although the format of the web site went wonky on Saturday.

8. maynurd says: