Where Did All The OB Tampons Go?

If you’re a fan of OB Tampons, better start your hoarding. They have been taken off the shelves and won’t return until 2011, due to an unspecified “manufacturing update.” UPDATE: O.B. Tampons Are Back

Reports of emptiness where the OBs usually are on the shelves started rolling in in November. People who called and emailed Johnson & Johnson were told that the Ultra line was discontinued entirely, but the other OB tampons would be back on the market sometime in 2011.

OB Tampons are different from other tampons because there is no applicator. Also, they get wider as they absorb instead of getting longer. You can wiggle the string at the bottom back and forth to push out the bottom sides, creating a flare-out for more absorbency and a better fit.

The FDA told WBUR that there were no manufacturing or quality control issues that they knew of.

For those who stick with one brand of tampon, finding a blank space on the store shelf where you expect to find your favorite tampon can be a bit of an aggravation. Brand loyalty is high enough that three boxes of 40-count OB Tampons are going for $119 on eBay right now. A single box usually retails at $8.

In the meantime, Natracare sells a line of no-applicator cotton tampons that are a reasonable substitute, though they are more expensive and you’ll have to go to a more specialized pharmacy to find them. Other options include The Keeper and The Diva Cup, both of which are reusable menstrual cups that are worn internally.

O.b. Mystery Deepens: FDA Says No Reports Of Quality Problems [WBUR] (Thanks to Jane!)
Bloody Hell: My Favorite Tampon Has Been Discontinued [Jezebel]

Comments

1. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

And is this news spongeworthy?

• Gail says:

JESUS CHRIST YES.

Guess where I’m going tonight to buy a whole bunch of tampons? What the hell.

(Yes, tampons are personal and OB are the only ones I like.)

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I suspect you have an immediant need.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

What I wonder is why people aren’t worried that there might be something wrong with the ones on the shelves, if they’re having a problem with manufacturing. I don’t know, I’m funny about stuff like that I guess, but I think I’d switch brands.

That being said, this is a product where brand loyalty is huge. The few times I’ve had to make do with another brand, it’s been horrible.

• dorianh49 says:

Did you have to pull any strings to get the first comment?

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I actually submitted this story two weeks ago and totally made this reference in my email to the Consumerist! Awesome!

2. Wasabe says:

I heard these tampons were experiencing wikileaks.

3. CaughtLooking says:

Ben, you know WAY too much about tampons!

• MuffinSangria says:

Was thinking the same thing while reading the article :)

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I was thinking, wow, good for Ben, learning enough to write such an in-depth post about tampons!

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Me too! And not making any of it into a joke. (Not that Ben is usually guilty of that, just that it’s a subject a lot of men find uncomfortable, so they joke about it if they find themselves discussing it.)

I think it’s a well-written piece, and I appreciate it!

• The cake is a lie! says:

This is way cooler than a chick writing about condoms. Both sexes should know about that. This is an area that I don’t think most men know anything about. Even my wife knows better than to put it on a shopping list if she sends me to the store. I would definitely screw it up.

On another note, a very cool thing to do would be to create bullet shaped tampons. That would really mess with the backscatter perverts. “Uh… could you remove the .50 BMG bullet from your pants?”

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I take a pic of the old box on DH phone so he can refer to it when going to the store. It works well, and he can delete the evidence as soon as he buys them.

• Leksi Wit says:

OBs are kind of bullet shaped, except they are white in color. I’m not sure how comfy I’d be sticking up dyed tampons in me, but to each her own.

4. Alvis says:

Is “up ladies’ hoo-has” not the obvious answer?

5. RosevilleWgn says:

Ai, I be lookin’ for some better bloody news today! Eh?!

6. pastthemission says:

Am I really the first person to suggest a divacup? Never leaks, takes the same amount of time to put in as a tampon without an applicator and less mess. Also reuseable so you save oodles of money.

• Wasabe says:

I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about this stuff.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

reusable…really…that’s just not right….I thought reusing tinfoil and/or sandwich baggies was over the line.

• falnfenix says:

it’s cost-effective, and what happens if you bleed on clothing? do you just throw it away?

i’ll keep to my bleach-free, cramp-free, reusable option, thanks.

• womynist says:

I haven’t tried the Diva Cup yet, but I will shamelessly promote Sea Pearls reusable Sea Sponge tampons all day long! Reusable and biodegradable FTW!

• pastthemission says:

@chowder- it’s medical grade silicone just like all those other reuseable things they have in hospitals. Why don’t you try learning about the thing you’re making fun of before doing the whole ‘ewwwww menstruation’ bit.

• 12345678nine says:

Well then you would have simply died before times of disposable paper products, now wouldn’t you have?

• witeowl says:

Do you use a new cutting board for every meal you prepare? I mean, “ew, germs!”

• Gail says:

I tried a Diva cup, but nothing I did could make it comfortable and leak free. It may be because I’m short, but I tried all the tips and then some. If it was comfortable, it leaked. If it felt like I was walking around with a stick up my ho-ha, it was leak free. So, yay for that, but really, not comfy.

• pastthemission says:

Definitely sounds like you didn’t have it in properly. If it’s in properly you don’t feel it and I’ve only had it slightly leak once in three years. Much better than tampons!

• Gail says:

I might have, but it just felt too long. But, I’m really short, and lots of folks I know like it a lot. I just wish it was designed more like a diaphram – back in the day when I had one, that worked perfectly, and lasted all day.

Thus, my need for an OB stockpile.

• pastthemission says:

One thing some people do is they actually cut the little stem at the end so it doesn’t poke them. There’s also some rubber cups that seem to be shorter but wider than the divacup but I’m allergic to rubber so I have not tried them.

• esk42 says:

I love the DivaCup too – it took a month or two to get used to it and then it was roses.

Well, not exactly roses. But you know what I mean. Cheap AND less landfill clutter.

• Gail says:

I had trimmed the stem back completely, and I just couldn’t get it comfy and working. Darn! But, I do have friends who use it with success, so I was bummed.

• xnihilx says:

There is a website that has a guide for all the cups. There are many different brands. I got a Lunacup and it’s worked for me. I’m NEVER going to paper products again. I’ll find the site.

• amgriffin says:

I’m short too, so the diva doesn’t work for me either. Try the inStead cup. It works in much the same way but you wear it slightly differently so it’s not poking out if your a short person.

• CrisA says:

The Diva is fairly large in comparison to some of the other menstrual cup brands. If you like the idea but the Diva itself doesn’t work for you, you might want to try a the Mooncup – they’re a little smaller.

• heythere says:

Seconded!! DIVA CUP FOREVER!! Or until menopause…

• pop top says:

An IUD is easier and much less mess.

• Sarahnoid says:

However, at the end of your Mirena lifecycle, it becomes necessary to buy OBs again. I’m there.

• badachie says:

Ummm…and IUD is a form of birth control. A menstrual cup is just that. Why are you comparing the two?

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

The mirena almost stops your period in most women. Much like the Depo shot.

• GameHen says:

Mirena didn’t stop my periods when I had it. They occurred with the same frequency and flow volume.

Now the Nuvaring was great! I could skip periods as I chose to. Now, I’m “fixed” so I just use the Nuvaring when I want to make sure I skip my period on vacations.

• richcreamerybutter says:

I respect your love for this product, but it’s not pertinent to the subject at hand. OB’s target demographic certainly isn’t shy about such things, but those of us who use this product have very good reasons for doing so. If I’d wanted to try another method, I would have already. In any case, this time of the month can be terrible for many reasons, and my preferred product is one small comfort.

• pastthemission says:

I would agree if it was just a post about tampons, but it’s specifically a post about a tampon shortage. No tampons = need for alternatives. As you said, people who use OB tampons are not squeamish. They were the only tampons I ever used before I started using the divacup so I figured I would suggest an alternative to other tampons. Also the divacup is intimidating as all get out, so hearing support for it may help people get over the ick factor and actually try it out.

• Argy says:

Can you explain the “less mess” part? What do you do when you’re in a public restroom and need to empty or adjust it? Are you supposed to rinse it out in the sink every time?

Not trying to be a jerk, just honestly wondering.

• pastthemission says:

Yea, it sounds more messy, but basically instead of having a dirty pad or tampon everything is contained in a silicon cup. You just dump the cup out in the toilet, wash it out with some soap and water, and then put it back in. No having to wrap things up in toilet paper a million times, no gross strings, and NO SMELL.

• pastthemission says:

also I’ve never had to empty mine during the day, it really does hold a lot compared to tampons.

• caradrake says:

You can avoid that by emptying it before you go out. On average, on my super-heavy flow days, I still only change the diva cup every 6 to 8 hours – whereas I’d be changing a pad once an hour or a tampon every two.

Handicap stalls or family bathrooms are also great, since they have a sink right there and you can easily clean it out. Or, if nothing else, just empty it into the toilet and reinsert, and wash when you get home or find an acceptable location.

• Intheknow says:

You can avoid the WHOLE thing by taking birth control pills constantly and not having your period but perhaps 3 times a year!

• caradrake says:

Then what do you do for those 3 times a year? ;)

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Honestly, mine are so light now after the Seasonique I don’t really need anything. I tried one of those cups before and just couldn’t get it in a comfortable spot.

• TheWillow says:

Seasonique was a disaster for me – I’d have 2 free months and then an entire month of full on bleeding. not fun.

• JennQPublic says:

Depo did the same for me. Blech.

Get an IUD, which made my periods MUCH heavier, but they were predictable, and I didn’t get pregnant.

• nonsane says:

bleed in a corner hosing themselves off occationally

• haggis for the soul says:

Those gave me horrible migraines, but the Mirena did the same thing without the side effects.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

Yep! And get a pulmonary embolism like I did!

Seriously, birth control is something that folks take way too lightly. I’m a healthy, non-smoking 28-year-old with no family history of clots, and after one month on Levora, I developed four blood clots in my lungs. The only reason I went on the BC was to control my periods. Now, if I actually want to use birth control, I have to use condoms, sponges, or permanent sterilization (I’ve never had kids, and none of the OBs I’ve spoken with will insert IUDs in someone who hasn’t given birth).

It’s not as easy as it sounds…

• levelone says:

WTF? Two of my friends have IUDs and neither has had kids. If a woman can’t tolerate hormonal birth control (Mirena IUD, etc.), there’s still no reason not to insert a non-hormonal IUD (Paragard, etc.).

There is no reason for an OBGYN to have a blanket policy of refusal when it comes to inserting an IUD in a nulliparous woman. Individual women might be counseled against IUD use if they have risk factors, but if a doctor just won’t insert an IUD because you haven’t given birth, it’s hogwash. Check out this link: http://bit.ly/4qLnt

• Big Mama Pain says:

If you’ve never had children, they do measure your uterus to make sure there isn’t risk of perforation-and it does have to be 4 cm or more. Even with that, my OB still only allowed it begrudgingly (the risks of being a smoker and taking estrogen based bc overruled)

• bdgbill says:

Jesus, this has got to be the most disgusting comment on the most disgusting post ever on Consumerist.

• EarthAngel says:

I had to google this diva cup and found out you can order them online.

I don’t know if I’m digging this from Amazon.com:

Diva Cup Model 1 Pre-Childbirth
      Buy new: $16.68
      22 Used & new from $16.68

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I think Ben was the first person, since it’s in his post (unless he added that later).

7. c!tizen says:

“Reports of emptiness where the OBs usually are”

“they get wider as they absorb instead of getting longer.”

“You can wiggle the string at the bottom back and forth to push out the bottom sides”

…I’m taking the high road on this one.

8. RxDude says:

There goes my weekend…

9. Brunette Bookworm says:

Huh, I wonder how much I could get for the unopened box of regular onesI have. Haven’t used them since switching birth control to one where I don’t get a period. The link in the WBUR articel said some boxes were going for up to $130!

• Wasabe says:

We must first consider the ethical dimensions of tampon hoarding….

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I just searched on ebay for OB tampons. There’s one listing of 4 boxes that’s currently at $127!
      I just switched to a “no period” birth control as well. Maybe I should sell the box of OB tampons I have sitting at home.

• NHpurple says:

I had an ablation last fall and still have a couple of OB boxes of tampons around, plus the random ones found that I kept just in case. Who would have thought that my ob tampons would be worth more than the beanie babies?
        Honestly, I would be freaking if I was still getting my period. You guys just wouldn’t get it.

10. xnihilx says:

I suggest the OB users switch to a reusable menstrual cup. All hail the cup!

• pastthemission says:

hail the cup!

• Julia789 says:

Tried one. Never again!

It stuck in there and filled up for a while as instructed. Then it… shifted. The contents that had been gathering were uh… released all at once. So much that it went past the back-up pantyliner and all over my clothes.

I’m sure people get better at positioning them and using them with time, but I also suspect my period is just way too heavy for it. Maybe it’s better for people with lighter periods, and more patience!

• JulesNoctambule says:

My body says ‘No thanks!’ to almost any synthetic substance administered internally, so I’ll still pass.

• witeowl says:

“Administered”?

Anyone who is willing to insert chlorine-bleached tampons should be willing to insert medical-grade silicone.

And my body definitely says “Thanks!” for that switch. Environment and money aside, these are comfortable, not associated with TSS, and I don’t have any irritation at the end of my cycle when I’m a bit “dryer”.

My only regret is years wasted. I looked into cups years ago and didn’t take the leap. Wish I hadn’t been so reluctant.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

They need not be chlorine bleached. Natracare makes an organic cotton, unbleached tampon. It’s a good quality product.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

Is there a cup that isn’t a total mess? I used instead years ago and found it to be messy and uncomfortable. Is the Diva Cup better?

If I can’t find a cup, I’m just going with the organic version of OBs they sell at Whole Foods.

11. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Maybe this is why they still haven’t sent my free samples. Hmph.

12. xnihilx says:

I’m guessing they’re changing the box design or something like that. Usually when things disappear from shelves for a while they’re undergoing a re-design.

13. mk says:

THANK YOU – I was wondering where they had gone and why it was difficult for me to find them. I actually had been eying the divacups but I have reservations. Just not sure if I can make that leap yet. Though I would feel better about environment if I switched.

• pastthemission says:

it’s really not that big of a leap from a tampon without an applicator to the divacup. I used to use OB tampons too and then got sick of spending so much money on things that only kind of worked.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

If you like the design of OB (like I do), Seventh Generation and Naturcare both have the same shape. They are a bit more expensive, but you can find them at any natural food store or pharmacy, and when they do design changes, they do a gradual roll-out. And Seventh Generation has excellent customer service, which Johnson & Johnson has proven they do not (when I emailed them about the shortage 2 weeks ago, they acted like there was no shortage and there was no mention of some undefined 2011 roll-out for an updated product).

14. Rocket says:

Being a dude FTW?

15. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Dear Genitals,
    Thank you for not bleeding every month. You guys are awesome!

16. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

Ben musta gotten married…or moved in with his girlfriend :D

17. nutbastard says:

“…due to an unspecified “manufacturing update.””

They’re coming out with a new model that requires less force to insert: The OB One.

“Not as clumsy or random as a pad, an elegant absorbent for a more civilized age.”

18. Gulliver says:

Sorry, but it has to be said

” I make my own OB tampons at home” They get wider instead of longer the more you move them. I was going to have a bloody mary, but now, not so much

19. jasw says:

just switch to a diva cup. your wallet and vagina will thank you.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I love it when vaginas say thank you. Polite, but still a little disturbing.

• nutbastard says:

they always sound like daffy duck for some reason…

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Meh. More like when adults talk in a Peanuts cartoon: “Whah, wah wah, whaaa whaaa whaaaaa…

“Yes Ma’am!”

• MaliBoo Radley says:

I have one question about the diva cup .. how do you clean it when you’re out and about? I realize that in your own home, you’d use your own sink. How would one handle this in a public restroom?

• pastthemission says:

Fun thing about the divacup- you don’t have to clean when you’re out and about. It stays in there all day and then you clean it out at home. It can hold 2 ounces of fluid and if you read the various websites and boards there are very few women who bleed that much in a day.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

That sounds unpleasant to me. I think I’ll stick with OBs or Natracares.

• witeowl says:

The fact that you don’t have to clean them out in a public restroom sounds unpleasant to you? Odd.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Or perhaps the leave-em-in-all-day-and-fill-em-up idea is what sounded unpleasant?

• witeowl says:

Oh, that could be, though I thought the fact that it fills up was already obvious, leaving only a question of how often it would need to be emptied. If leaving it in all day is the concern, I guess one could always empty it out more often. Though, personally, being able to “set it and forget it” for up to twelve hours at a time (officially) is really a blessing.

But, yeah, you could be right.

• probablykate says:

You don’t really clean them well in a public restroom, just empty them and then clean a little with toilet paper. But honestly I hardly ever run into that problem because I can keep them in for an entire work day (note: my flow is lower than some because I am on birth control so if you usually have a heavy flow you’d have to empty it more often, but it definitely lasts way longer than a tampon)

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I just can’t do it. It’s too gross. The pills I’m on make it so I barely need anything anyway, which after an adolescence of Niagara Falls, is awesome. Also, I’m getting close to the point where there will BE no more need for such things. Wish I could have a baby first though. :(

• tbax929 says:

Uhm, no thanks. But knock yourself out if you like them so much.

Personally, I prefer an applicator (perferably plastic). So I don’t get the OB or cup thing at all.

20. MaliBoo Radley says:

I’d been wondering. I’ve only seen them at Target lately. Time to stock up on what my husband calls “a tax on being a woman”. He’s right.

21. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

It’s the Ultras that are going for the super high price on ebay. I have an unopened box of regulars but they’re going for regular price. Dang.

22. SG-Cleve says:

This thread should be labeled NSFM (not safe for men)

• MaliBoo Radley says:

Grow up.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I’m a guy. Just used a maxi duct-taped to my back due to a wound that wouldn’t stop bleeding and the fact I am overdosing on Warfarin at the moment. Wife was not amused.

• The_IT_Crone says:

We’ll make sure to inform all women that you are incapable of talking about or doing anything with a vagina. I’m sure it won’t be a problem.

• tbax929 says:

I think you mean NSFB (Not Safe For Boys). Men can actually handle the idea of women having periods.

23. Jane_Gage says:

The pic of the cup on the box makes me feel like I’ll be shoving a brick up there sideways. Applicators: people who shake your hand will thank you, and bacteria from under your fingernails will stay out of your birth canal.

• pastthemission says:

I personally wash my hands before putting them near my hooha.

• maddypilar says:

It took a lot longer than I thought it would before people went here. Just wash your hands.

• Sarahnoid says:

Amen.

I assume those who get all “ew gross!” about OBs are just frustrated because they’ve obviously never gotten off because touching the no-no spot is so “ew gross!”

• SkepticalSue says:

These are undoubtedly the same people who use a sponge to put on body wash. I read a story some time ago in which a European body wash spokesman (fun job!) said that uptight Americans are the only ones who get the “apply with hands or sponge” on the side of the bottle, as opposed to just “apply with hands.” Heaven forbid you touch yourself. In the meantime, I might riot if my OBs go away.

• Kibit says:

I don’t like the idea of OB’s for a different reason. I have a very heavy flow. Unfortunately I’m not always able to get the OB inserted all the way without it opening and making it difficult to fit properly. It’s frustrating because I’m not a fan of applicators either. I’ve considered the Diva Cup, but I’m not sure how that would work either. Ugh!

• Argy says:

Or they don’t want to get blood all over their fingers, especially if in a public restroom…

• richcreamerybutter says:

I always assume everyone who shakes my hand probably urinates and defecates daily. They could also have just touched a subway pole, opened a public door, or have just typed on their office keyboard. Regular hand washing seems to work nicely.

In any case, applicators never place the tampon in the correct position, and feel gross.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

People who touch my hands will thank me? Should I be telling them that I just touched my vagina? Heck, men might actually like that. Besides, if you wash your hand, there is nothing wrong with touching your vagina. Actually, I highly recommend it .. or get a friend to touch it for you .. :)

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

“people who shake your hand will thank you”

You assume a vagina is dirty. Even during your period, I bet it’s cleaner than your hands (unless you’re a total skank)

Think about it this way: how the hell can it get dirty – it’s covered all day long. Your hands are not.

• kmw2 says:

Uh, you don’t stick your fingers in your vagina when you put a tampon in without an applicator.

24. lawgirl502 says:

That brand which is made by a woman for women, sucks. They are the worse ones out there.

25. yessongs says:

I prefer not to read about this type of news Period!

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Heaven forbid your delicate sensibilities are offended. You didn’t have to click on the article. It affects consumers, and it belongs here. Also, grow up.

26. maddypilar says:

I encountered the shortage here in NYC a couple weeks ago. I went to 7 stores and couldn’t find regulars. Had to buy a combo pack now I have two sizes I can’t use.

27. nutbastard says:

…anything that pisses off the jezebellians is alright with me :D

28. WickedCrispy says:

“For those who stick with one brand of tampon”

And you wonder why you get all these punny replies…

29. nutbastard says:

The flow of Tampon supplies has become spotty over the last week after it was announced that OB will be discontinuing production for an indeterminate period. Local retailers have been bled dry and the isles of many stores are cramped as panic turns into hysteria. Many women who previously got them every month are now missing them, with no indication of when the drought will be over. One local retailer commented that he’d love to help, but that you can’t “get blood from a turnip”. One woman was arrested for petty theft after she seized the prized tampons from another resident, and the thief’s companions also face charges of inciting criminal activity as they were reportedly egging her on prior to the incident.

30. Rachacha says:

In related news, Apple and OB announced a corporate merger and will be releasing a new version of the iPad in 2011 with a built in applicator

31. Power Imbalance says:

“Johnson & Johnson”

32. Wolfbird says:

You know, I’m a lady and I still don’t get why not having an applicator is a positive thing. Like, ew?

• CrisA says:

The real, honest reason I buy applicator-less tampons is that they last longer in my purse. The ones with applicators, their plastic/paper is usually opened in just a few weeks from moving around in there. But OBs, they can live at the bottom of my purse for years and still be completely sterile in that emergency when I need one.

• witeowl says:

When I used tampons, I didn’t care much about the lack of an applicator. What kept me on o.b. was the tampon itself; because of the way they’re made, I’d have far fewer problems with leaks or discomfort.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Maybe it’s just down to what you’re used to. I’ve always used an applicator, and while I can do without one, it’s easier for me with one to get it placed right. I don’t understand all the “OMGZ applicatorz is teh evil!” To each her own.

33. Joseph S Ragman says:

Wow … really more information than I needed today …

34. qbubbles says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as I start bleeding again, too. Damnit!

35. jedifarfy says:

I wonder how much of this was copied cause I don’t see why you’d ever need to know that much. :P

Also, brand loyalty of this variety is HUGE. You don’t go messing around with a lady when it comes to these products. Seriously, take away our favorites and you’ve taken away any and all security.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

You don’t see why anyone would ever need to know that much? I can think of about 50% of consumers who might need to know that much. If it doesn’t affect you, it might still be worth knowing for someone else.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Ah, I think I get it. You mean why would Ben need to know that much. I think because he’s in the business of being a consumer advocate.

36. macruadhi says:

My wife prefers the tampons woven from the hair of Cherokee maidens

37. gman863 says:

Aunt Flo will be ragging about this issue for months to come.

38. venomroses says:

Who the hell would pay 119$ for three boxes of 40 count tampons?! Thats 40$ a box!!!

I don’t really have brand loyalty to tampons. I actually used to use OB but now I find I cramp waaay more on them.

39. chemmy says:

Wow I totally bought a ton of these simply because they were on clearance and I don’t care what brand I use. Looks like I’ll be heading on over to eBay…. And scouting out BigLots lol

40. conformco says:

I just don’t trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn’t die.

41. gman863 says:

I actually searched completed eBay listings on these. The temptation was just too great.

I was in CVS picking up a prescription tonight. On my way out, I thought “What the Hell…I’ll go over to that aisle and check.”

The cashier’s eyes bugged out. I explained I was buying them for a “friend” in another city who couldn’t find them locally.

If I end up making $80 – $100 (based on the recent completed listings) it’ll be worth it.

42. gman863 says:

43. RK1 says:

A great alternative to OB is Seventh Generation, which makes an organic cotton no-applicator tampon. Check it out here: http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Organic-Tampons

44. Smultronstallet says:

I bought tampons last week, and saw plenty of OB ones on the shelf – at two different stores.

45. sarah schmara says:

ZOMG! what am I going to do? I estimate that I’ve enough for two periods… but then what?

This the only tampon I have bought for almost 20 years–I absolutely hate the “other” ones I’ve had to use in emergencies. I will NOT purchase applicator tampons that don’t fit my body. And, no, I’m not doing the cups because they hurt my cervix (which is unhappy enough during my period).

This is as bad as when those heartless corporate bastards discontinued inSync mini-forms in the late 1990s. inSync was bought by Always and they chose not to make any more. So I chose not to buy any Always products (after dutifully emailing back and forth with their comments dept.) EVER AGAIN.

That’s right, I’ve boycotted a company for over 10 years because they effed with my feminine hygiene products. Watch it, J & J!

46. sarah schmara says:

The cups hurt my cervix which is tender enough during that-time-of-the-month, thank-you-very-much.

47. ericd316 says:

Some OB Ultra and Super Plus tampons are still available in limited quantities at the following online store. They are not cheap, but it might get you through til OB restarts production.