Free iPad Apps To Ease Your Travels

When you’re on the road in unfamiliar surroundings, wouldn’t it be nice to have a little travel elf at your side to point you in the right direction and help you get the most out of your sojourn? If you’ve got an iPad, you own the next best thing to a travel elf, and it won’t even object when you shove it into your suitcase.

Mashable swung its pickaxe in the salt mine that is the iPad App store to unearth six treasured free iPad apps geared to make travel easier.

Here are some on the list that caught our eye. To reiterate, these are Mashable’s recommendations, which we’ll have to trust as we’re too poor to avoid iPads or travel elf enslavement fees:

Travel+Leisure – Probably one to check out before you make your plans rather than while you’re on the road, this is an interactive magazine that recommends destinations and hot spots therein.

Kayak HD – This shopping-based app helps you find sweet deals on flights, hotels, rental cars.

The Weather Channel Max – Stroke your oversized iPod Touch for up-to-the-minute info on temperature, precipitation, forecasts and whereabouts of those hurricanes that tend to follow you around wherever you go.

What are your favorite travel apps, on the iPad or otherwise?

6 Free iPad Apps for Planning Your Next Vacation [Mashable via Yahoo]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

As nice as these apps are, most of what they do, I could do from my PC before leaving the airport.

That said, part of me still wants to eventually own one, if for no other reason than to feel like a complete Start-Trek nerd, carrying around my slab of metal, plastic and glass like I have some iota of knowing what I’m doing. :3

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What if you’re on the road and you need to rebook or modify your flight during your trip or decide in the middle of the trip to rent a car? Internet cafes aren’t as popular in the US, and it’s probably fine if you’re traveling with a laptop, but the apps have their use if you’re traveling with an iPad instead of a laptop.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

fair enough; as I said, most of those apps do stuff I could do from home or on my laptop. However, there’s always going to be a situation where something like this will be the perfect tool for the job. Better to have it and not need it, and all that jazz.

• APriusAndAGrill says:

The Kayak app is way better as an App than on a PC. plus PCs are not made by Apple.

2. scoosdad says:

The iPad travel elf? That wouldn’t be anything like the Microsoft Office Paperclip now would it?

3. Portlandia says:

OffMaps….best app I got for my last trip to Europe.

Works on iPad and Iphone and ipod.

Download city map to your device and use GPS to show your location offline. I downloaded maps for all the cities I planned on visiting (used free wifi for ad hoc places) and I was able to naviage all over Europe and not connect to data on my devices.

Best of all, when I was roaming around Rome, Florence, Madrid I didn’t have to pull my guidebook out to look at a map. I added pins on the map for where my hotel was an various sites I wanted to see and used GPS to guide me around the city.

All the maps are free (they charge for guidebooks but they’re worthless).

Best app I had BY FAR!

4. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

I really like the Weather Channel app. Very very nice for getting weather wherever I go, and on the iPad I get far more detail in the forecast than I do on the iPhone.

5. snarkymarcy says:

If only The Weather Channel app didn’t crash all of the damn time.

6. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Not one of my favorite apps, but a very useful app that I use is the Weatherbug app. I don’t care much for the actual program for Mac or Windows machine, but it’s really handy to have…can even attach to local Weatherbug stations (mostly schools) and see live data and radar.

Most time wasting app would be Pocket Legends and Angry Birds. iBooks is a really great app have many an ePub book on there now and I now have RemoteBuddy/Ajax remote so I can control my streaming box. Okay, I’m done…could go on, but I know I would just be talking to myself.

7. Stephmo says:

We got a sky map app last trip for the iPad. When you’re thousands of miles south and there is a lot more visible sky, you really do start to wonder about all those constellations…

8. Stephmo says: