So What Does A $777 Burger Actually Taste Like?

For some reason we can’t fathom, our siblings at Consumer Reports didn’t include the $777 burger at the Paris Casino in Las Vegas in its survey of the country’s best and worst burgers. So it was left up to the folks at NPR to try out the high-priced hamburger for those of us who either can’t afford or would never, ever in a million years spend that much on a food product.

It should be noted that in addition to the Kobe beef burger, topped with onions, brie, pancetta, 100-year balsamic vinegar and — of course — Maine lobster, the price also includes a bottle of Dom Perignon.

Let’s hear some select quotes from the NPR eaters:

“What you need to do is replace the bun with two Bentleys.”

“I don’t know about the lobster. It seems like it’s only there to make the sandwich more expensive.”

“$777 wouldn’t be that expensive, if you just ate a little bit of it every day and that was all you had for the year.”

“It’s actually Kobe Bryant meat. That’s why it’s so expensive.”

So what was the final verdict?

[I]t really does taste expensive. Some of us felt that the lobster overwhelmed the burger a bit, so it was more a lobster sandwich with beef, rather than the other way around. Still, delicious.

It should be noted that the NPR staffers didn’t actually shell out the big bucks for the deluxe dish but were comped for the meal by the casino.

Sandwich Monday In Las Vegas: The $777 Burger [NPR]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“It’s actually Kobe Bryant meat. That’s why it’s so expensive.”

I think the separate bottle of Dom Perignon helps. Also, is it really a $777 burger when it includes a bottle of over-expensive champagne?

2. jbandsma says:

What? No caviar?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Forget caviar. Put a chunk of whale meat on there and the hotel will need to bump up the price by at least $100,000 to make up the fine for selling endangered whale meat.

• Bohemian says:

Gotta have caviar and truffles or it isn’t real overpriced food. These overpriced marketing ploy meals seem to have some of the nastiest combinations.

3. jerrycomo says:

I thought it was topped with beluga caviar.

• sonneillon says:

Many seafood wholesalers and importers do not have CITES permits so it is not consistently available. Also the Iranian Gold Osetra is better.

4. smirkette says:
  5. Magspie says:

I wonder if they actually sell any of these or if they just have it to make people feel really special if they get one comped.

• FatLynn says:

Keep in mind that Vegas is now a big conference destination. I could easily see a vendor taking me to dinner and pressuring me to order something like this.

6. iggy21 says:

They got it comped? How much did they lose for a comp like that :P

• mr91mr says:

You don’t have to lose to get comped. You’re actually equally or more likely to get comped if you win, because the casino wants you to stick around as long as possible.

• elephantattack says:

5-10 bucks worth of sandwich… plus whatever the Dom Perignon cost…

7. Mom says:

I only paid $775 for a quarter of a hand raised, pastured steer. My family has been eating it for months. It didn’t come with lobster, however, so I’m feeling slightly cheated.

8. Bernardo says:

If I had a really good run that night I can actully see myself buying that. Then smothering it with ketchup and downing it fast. Its a treat, just like the rest of Vegas. Your not supposed to take the extravagance too seriously. If one place is too pricy there are ten others you can go to for less. If you wanna blow lots of cash they have that there for you to. You really cant talk about wasting money in a place thats built on wasting money and dead mob guys.

9. Bernardo says:

10. AutumnJazz says:

You can’t actually get Kobe beef in America. It is illegal to export out of Japan, unless that has changed recently.

• XTC46 says:

Its most likely wagyu or “american kobe”.

I believe the import issue is actually on the US side, not the Japan side, in that we dont import beef from Japan as they dont meet the safety standards we implement as a whole.

• Slave For Turtles says:

I have the October 2010 issue of Food Network Magazine here, and it actually has a recipe for sliders using ground Kobe beef. I was stunned. It’s a Guy Fieri recipe, and it says he uses that variety of beef to make the sliders unexpectedly highbrow. Damn, man! I’ve only seen Kobe beef on one of the original Japanese Iron Chef shows.

• Hyppy says:

Kobe beef (from Kobe, Japan) is legal to import. It was briefly banned from import due to a mad cow disease scare from 2001-2005. If you’re interested, American Wagyu, which uses the same Wagyu cows and techniques from the farms in Kobe, Japan, is pretty much the same though with slightly less marbling.

• paul says:

Most likely is “Kobe-style” or “American Kobe” or some other non-kobe with Kobe in its name. Lots of places sell it for crazy high prices (and even reinforce the false beliefs about the cows being fed beer, being massaged by pretty girls, etc.)

11. JMH says:

Speaking of things that are only there to make it more expensive, who the hell puts balsamic vinegar on a burger?

12. midwestkel says:

WTF, no bacon?

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

Mmm. I love Dom Perignon. I think they’re right though; the lobster would be a bit too much.

14. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

$777 dollars and they’re using plastic orange tomatoes? Hell, if I’m gonna lay down that kind of scratch I want juicy RED tomatoes grown in a greenhouse…and a spanking. ;-)

15. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

eh, needs more fondant.

16. grebby says:

“What you need to do is replace the bun with two Bentleys.”

Or two KFC chicken breast filets.

17. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Looks like it could use a few packets of ketchup or a bath of A-1 sauce and a bag o’ fries.

18. NydiaGeben says:

$777.00 for any meal? Uh, no.

19. BeerFox says:

Since it comes with the drink, doesn’t that more accurately make it an extremely expensive combo meal?

20. Grungo says:

If you send it back because the beef isn’t properly cooked, do you get more lobster tails?

21. jpdanzig says:

Some people REALLY have too much money — and far too little common sense.

22. Gulliver says:

Ok people, this is a concept called menu anchoring. You have a hamburger that is $777, then when you see a $15 hamburger it does not seem so expensive. This is well studied in the hospitality industry (hotel rooms work this way too with suites that are $10k per night, but yours was only $250).
    Even if nobody orders the burger, it really has no loss for the restaurant/casino. It is menu marketing at its finest.
    There is also the extra bump of free publicity the casino just got, and it happens every few months with a upscale restaurant in a high priced city

23. Losiris says:

Also, you can get just the burger, sans Dom, for about 70 bucks at the Burger Brassiere in the hotel.

24. Not Again says:

NPR, eh? I see my tax dollars are being put to “good?” use. Shouldn’t I have gotten a bite of this and swig of that bottle of Dom?

• drjayphd says:

Yeah, this comment’s going to live up to your name. NPR only gets 29 percent of its funding (under a generous interpretation) from the government, and that’s INCLUDING the member stations. (Actually, NPR itself claims to only get 2 percent straight from the feds, but admits that the member stations get more.) A bit of creative restructuring could let them go without government funds, considering their endowment, listener donations and corporate underwriting.

ENOUGH OF THE “MY TAXES FUND THE FILTHY LIBRUL MEDIA” MEME. Taxes pay for a lot of shit someone’s going to disagree with, but it’s not like you have any say in that. Take it up with the IRS or come up with a more imaginative talking point, like “I make my own $777 burgers at home”.

• glater says:

there’s also the fact mentioned that they didn’t actually even pay for it to begin with.

gotta love the “filthy tax-and-spend liberal” rants, though, from the “don’t tax, spend it anyways” side of the aisle.

• sibelius says:

Slow down there, Dr. J. I’m pretty sure the comment was intended to be entertaining for the most part. Think about it — the burger was a comp, so NPR did not pay for it (so there aren’t really any tax dollars at work here). Asking for his ‘bite & swig’ is just funny — if you were taking it that way, which you obviously weren’t.

I do have to wonder where you extracted “filthy liberal media” from his comment, even if it wasn’t read as humor. Sounds to me like you’re just a bit touchy on the whole ‘tax’ and ‘liberal’ topics and shot-gunned your reply out in a burst of emotion.

Might I suggest the next time you suspect someone harping on those ‘silly tax-hungry liberals’ you sit back, do some yoga, enjoy a little Dom and nibble of some Kobe beef you may have laying around the house (or Kobe tofu, if meat isn’t your thing), and then come back to the comment and try to see it in a different light. Most of the tone we read in comments are generated by the voice in our head that we use when we read them. And if that’s a voice with an angry tone, then we see the post as an attack. If, however, you read the post with a happy-go-lucky voice I think you’ll see that it’s mostly just harmless humor… with possibly a twitch of sarcasm.

• Not Again says:

Geez, Lighten up man, it was all in jest…,

• DEVO says:

That is BRILLIANT advice. I think a lot of hypersensitive folks could really use this. THANK YOU.

25. Stevnjessie1 says:

does it get served on the belly of a stripper?

26. Anto103 says:

Does a blowjob come with that?

27. jumpycore says:

the Palms was doing a $6,000 Burger for awhile (not sure if its still in effect)

it is just a 6 Dollar Burger from Carls Jr/Hardees included with a very expensive wine (worth upwards of $3,000)

can’t quite remember the wine though.

28. josephpr says:

The most amazing part of these restaurant publicity stunts is that no matter how often they are done, they still work. The basic formula is take a food item or meal – turn it into “wildly expensive food item or meal” because it is accompanied by something – in this case, the bottle of champagne, but I have seen this with other stunts along the lines of the “most expensive martini” (comes with diamond ring), “most expensive ice cream sundae” (comes with solid gold spoon, etc.). A few years back a non-food version was a pair of nylons with strips of diamonds along the seams. I can see why the mainstream media falls for this, but I am dissapointed with NPR getting suckered.
    Will post more when I finish breakfast (500K Cream of Wheat – it came with a Bentley).

29. WVUmountaineers says:

I’d rather have a double down.