Only 9% Of Students At For-Profit Colleges Graduate Within 6 Years

If you’re planning on getting ahead in life with a degree from a for-profit college, consider this: a new report says that only 9% of students there graduate within 6 years. Ah, so that’s the reason why you don’t see too many University of Phoenix degrees hanging on the walls of high-powered execs.

Report Finds Low Graduation Rates at For-Profit Colleges [NYT]

Comments

1. ChuckECheese says:

Even at so-called not-for-profit colleges/universities, just try getting out in 4 years. 130 semester hours, tons of general ed requirements, inflexible prerequisite requirements. While in college in my 30s, I beat the drum of ‘nontraditional (adult) learner’ constantly, filing grievances against unhelpful academic counselors who would not permit me to take more than 15 hours a semester, or who wouldn’t let me take a course concurrently with its prereq, even though it wouldn’t be offered for another 2 semesters, or trying to force me into college-prep English and math courses ‘because it has been so long since you had English in school,’ and other such petty B.S. By being such a dick, I was able to complete both my undergrad and master’s degrees in 4 years, 10 months, taking 2 semesters off.

• cynical_reincarnation says:

All that crap is why im going to try to go the certification route.

If I go back, I’m sure it will be re-take high school this and that for so long…

• Michaela says:

Would it be possible to take AP exams, or something, to get out of lower level courses? You don’t have to take the actual AP class to take/pass the exam, but I don’t know if they allow non-high school students to take the tests. If they don’t allow you to take them, you could probably make a big fuss and get in anyway.

Also, many schools allow high ACT or SAT scores to exempt students from lower level English and Composition classes.

• Alvis says:

Taking a class along with its prereq makes no sense at all. Good on them for not allowing it. Day one of Math 102 may require what you learn on the last day of Math 101.

• ChuckECheese says:

Actually taking a class with it’s prerequisite makes perfect sense. First off, some people can learn things quickly, and can learn more than one thing at a time, and can learn fundamental and higher level concepts at pretty much the same time. Many don’t care to be spoonfed info. High functioning adults who think and plan for themselves don’t like to waste time and money, and the pace of modern university learning guarantees that you will squander plenty of both.

Also, “learnin” does not necessarily logically follow the plodding step-by-step pace of modern chain-gang universities. This pace is set more to sell classes and textbooks IMO. I took calculus and statistics in the same semester even though I had to fight to do so, and hadn’t had a math class in nearly 15 years. And what was with that advisor who said I couldn’t take the Islamic studies class until I’d had sociology 101? I already read, write and speak Arabic. What logical progression did that follow? Fortunately I prevailed every time I challenged these petty fiats, saving myself heaps of time and money. I recommend everybody do the same.

The goal of education is claimed to be self-actualized adults with the capacity for ongoing self-education. The system’s dynamics, and responses like yours, show that the real goals of higher ed are the promulgation of paternalism and the propagation of sheeple, largely for the benefit of the system, not the students.

• Coelacanth says:

Actually, Calculus and Statistics makes perfect sense to do at the same time. Many stats courses rely minimally (if at all) on concepts that require knowledge of calculus.

However, attempting to take Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 simultaneously could be disasterous. (Calculus 2 and Calculus 3 – if calc 3 consists mostly of multivariable calculus – can be accomplished by ambitious students.)

• backinpgh says:

Actually, many prereq classes don’t make sense at all. How many colleges say you HAVE to take, say, Freshman English Seminar Whatever 101 before you take ANY other class? Or you HAVE to take Basic Computer Suchandsuch even if you are a computer master and there’s no way to test out of it?

• Mecharine says:

Colleges need people who know how to write in English. You would be amazed at the depth of incoherence that many people write when they start English 101. I know my engineering professors would completely fail an entire assignment if it was written poorly. So unless you feel like failing in every other class, learning how to write proper English is mandatory. High School English is just not good enough.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

This is true. When I entered college, freshmen took a barrage of proficiency exams to gauge our skill level (which was kind of unnecessary as you either went into English 101 if you were at a college-level or 100 if you weren’t – there wasn’t jumping to 200-level or anything).

I remember that there was a kid in my English 101 class who got booted to English 100 (remedial) because a week into the class, the professor realized he had no clue what he was doing and had somehow eked out a passing score on his English proficiency exam.

• Clyde Barrow says:

True. Not only is writing important but the reasoning and explaining the actual objective of the message is missing today. I don’t think it is always the younger folks but everyone because it is so easy to “cheat” at writing with forums, cellphones, emails, etc. My mom used to write letters every weekend and I also learned to write and loved it because of her.

• TasteyCat says:

I don’t need no English.

• GildaKorn says:

My favorite are the language prerequisites. I’ll have to take three quarters of some foreign language before I’m allowed to take computer science classes at UW. What the hell is that about? I’ll *never* master a language with only three quarters, and I won’t continue taking foreign language classes when I’m done (because I don’t want to, it’s not worth the money for me).

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

As an undergrad, I was able to get waivers to allow me to take classes out-of-order or concurrently. In many situations, the requirements were there to keep classes available for upperclassmen & graduate students and to encourage a logical class flow.

• sonneillon says:
    • Clyde Barrow says:

That sucks.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I mean that it sucks that you had to be that way, but it worked out good for you.

• sponica says:

I could have theoretically finished in 3.5 years, but declared a minor to stick it out the last semester. Granted I had a whole boatload of AP credits when I came in, and even though I only got one course waived because of them, the credits made it look like I had a whole semester under my belt. I think I managed to fulfill the requirements by double dipping. Why take one course for your major and one course for your distributive requirement, when you can take one course that is in the major AND fulfills the distributive requirement.

• SunnyLea says:

My college was pretty much set up to deter “double dipping.” The only exception was with my minor, and the only reason that was an exception was because the program was brand spanking new (I was only the second graduate) and so didn’t have quite enough course options yet.

And even if you do “double dip” there’s an overall minimum course hour requirement.

I mean, the longer they can keep you there and the more courses they can make you take, the more money for them!

• Crazytree says:

How have those degrees paid off for you?

• ChuckECheese says:

Well enough. I graduated with about $13K in debt. I couldn’t do the work I do now without a degree. I am aware of the law of quickly diminishing returns regarding higher ed, which is why I didn’t do anything about it until I was 30.

• WeirdJedi says:

Pretty much sums up my experience, only I didn’t graduate. The school had problems transferring my classes from another university, dozens of unhelpful advisors, funds going to making the campus look pretty instead of providing decent resources to the students, lack of teachers, changes in the curriculum, increasing tuition costs, and core classes all being scheduled at the same time. By the 3rd year, I figured out that I would have to attend another 4 years to graduate.

Got tired of being pulled around and left.

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

What I find truly shocking is that the percentages for not-for-profit universities isn’t that much better: only roughly half graduate after 6 years.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

…and they also cater towards non-traditional students who have families, full time jobs, etc. The graduation rates for non-traditional students are abysmally low virtually everywhere. Going to school as an adult is a very different experience than an 18 year old who lives on campus, and potentially some financial support from a parent.

• zifnab0 says:

They also (usually? often?) have much worse financial sense, and are willing to take on $100,000 in debt to finance that college education. Non-traditional students in their 20’s or 30’s might not be willing to dedicate 20 years towards repaying all that debt.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That used to be more of an excuse, but a lot of colleges are very aware of the population of nontraditional students who want to get a solid education, and are adding night classes that are taught by the same professors. I took a few night classes (5:30 pm) during my last year of college because it was the only time I could fit it in, and there were a bunch of adult students taking it as well.

A few months ago I was researching masters programs and almost all of them offered full curriculum at night.

• Bohemian says:

Half is still way better than 9%. That 9% figure is sad.

3. The cake is a lie! says:

That doesn’t make sense… maybe on the whole it is like that, but the one I attended graduated 80% of the students who enrolled at the same time as me in my program. What is the average for Universities and community colleges, I wonder? This is like one of those statistics that say 50% of small businesses fail, but don’t say the reason for it. Besides, 94% of all statistics are made up on the spot. (especially mine)

• lain1k says:

“…citing federal data that suggests only 9 percent of the first-time, full-time bachelor’s degree students at the University of Phoenix, the nation’s largest for-profit college, graduate within six years.” First time, Full time. I think a ton of people are returning students or part time.

• Chaosium says:

“First time, Full time. I think a ton of people are returning students or part time.”

Do you have the statistics for that either?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Besides, 94% of all statistics are made up on the spot. (especially mine)”

So your tote of 80% graduation rate is in actuality close to, say, 8%?

• The cake is a lie! says:

Probably. ;)

Seriously though… It was closer to 80%. It was a two year program and we had 120 enroll at the beginning. We had a little more than 100 at graduation, so considering some of them were from other start dates and probably took longer to complete the program, there were a whole lot of familiar faces who had been in the program for the same 2 years I was in it. We had good instructors back then and the economy was a lot different. Now days you probably get a lot of drop outs because they can no longer afford tuition or they lost their jobs or for whatever reason. I’d love to see these results charted over the past decade to see what they were before the economy went to shit.

• NatalieErin says:

Is your 2 year program an associates degree? If so, the statistic doesn’t apply to your program because it looked at bachelors degrees:

“The report acknowledges that for students seeking associate degrees, for-profit colleges’ three-year graduation rate of 60 percent is considerably higher than the 22 percent rate at public community colleges. “

4. You Be Illin' says:

Time to cut off the government funded loans for these “schools”. Let’s put that money into expanding community colleges, where these students should be going in the first place.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I go to ITT and graduate in a week with my Associates and have re-enrolled in a Bachelor’s program. They push attendance hard. If you miss three classes in a row, you have to drop the class. If you are forced to drop 3 classes, you get kicked out of school. Any money you received through FAFSA is returned to the government by ITT.

There are a lot of shitty for-profit schools out there, but I am fortunate to be in a school where the Dean won’t tolerate it, and the director of my dept. won’t either (yay for independently wealthy instructors that teach for the love of teaching!).

• Snowblind says:

You should go read about those loans before make statements like that.

Money for unsubsidized loans (and that is all you really qualify at a UoP) comes from banks looking for a safe investment.

They manage the loans, they take their cut as dictated by the government.

Unless enough students default… then the government is on the hook, just like Freddie and Fannie.

• Spasticteapot says:

A lot of money for these schools comes from federal aid, Pell grants, etc.

In short – taxpayers.

I have no problem with subsidizing education. I’m only bothered by the concept of subsidizing nonsense.

• Costner says:

You should probably learn your facts before telling others to read up on the issue. The FFELP program you are referring to no longer exists. Banks stopped originating those loans earlier in the year because the Federal government does so directly now.

The only involvement some banks have is that they service the loan which means they collect payments, send bills, handle collections etc, but the money isnt’ theirs and it comes directly from the Treasury.

So yes the government is sending huge sums of cash directly to these for profit colleges, and because such loans are based upon need rather than credit worthiness, there is a much higher rate of default. This means we (as taxpayers) are sending money to these for-profit schools and getting very little in return since the vast majority of students never graduate and thus never “use” their education.

There are certain things that just shouldn’t be financed by tax dollars. For-profit schools and for-profit prisons come to mind as just a few such examples.

• Spasticteapot says:

Agreed.

5. AmPriS says:

I am at a for profit school. I will be finished in 1.5 more years, making it a total of 3 years. I am in a JD program, and my school has a higher BAR pass rate than most of the other ABA approved schools in the state.

• blue_muse says:

I hope your program is nationally accredited. Most of the time, they’re not. It’s like getting your degree from the dollar store. Several US senators are trying to shut them down, because most of their students rely on gov’t student loans, which they will never be able to repay with a useless degree.

• Spasticteapot says:

I don’t know what a JD is, but if it’s like actuarial science, all he needs to do is pass an exam and he’s set. Accreditation might be nice, but may not be necessary.

If he was going into, say, accounting…yeah, he’d be screwed.

• Powerlurker says:

A JD is Juris Doctor degree, aka a law degree. The fact that the poster mentioned Bar pass rates should have been a pretty big hint.

6. RedOryx says:

Misleading headline is misleading.

If you actually RTFA, the 9% is specific to full-time, first time students at the University of Phoenix. Overall, first-time full time student graduation rate at for-profit colleges is 22%.

This doesn’t take into account those returning to school or part-timers.

7. edrebber says:

• mbz32190 says:

Umm….I would consider a “For-Profit College” to be a degree mill. Not talking about strictly “Technical/Vocational schools”, but pretty much any school you seen advertised between Jerry Springer and Maury. Most probably don’t graduate because they run out of money, or realize they have been had so many years in and simply leave.

In this day and age, even the non-for-profit schools are not that much better. In the end, everything is about $$$ and getting more of it. Nobody really cares if you graduate or sign up for too many classes or take the wrong things.

• Spasticteapot says:

I’m attending a public community college before transferring to a university proper. The management is blitheringly incompetent, the parking lot is slowly sinking into a swamp, and the cafeteria food prices would be more reasonable if they were in yen, not dollars. However, because none of the management actually has any say whatsoever in how the school functions academically, I’m getting a quality education for about $5k/year. And that ain’t bad.

• Chaosium says:

“The students realize the for profit college isn’t a degree mill and they will have to work, so they quit.”

You don’t know a thing about degree mills, do you? Writing a few essays and having disinterested, unqualified professors, credits nobody will accept, and accreditation that only exists because they’ve purchased a bankrupt small college that was accredited once, it’s not “too much work”. Stop pretending your 80,000$ that nobody takes seriously was worth anything.

8. Cicadymn says:

Are they counting the ones that are like “Derp take one class a week because you don’t have the time!” colleges. Of course they’re not going to graduate until after 6 years only taking one class a week.

9. CPT Goodlaw says:

In between my my undergraduate degree and my law degree I attended University of Phoenix for an MBA. I found the price to be reasonable and the education adequate for my needs. I decided to get my MBA so I could better my writing skills and learn a bit more an interest of mine, business. Today I am a successful and employed attorney appreciative of the added experience I received at UoP.

I started out at a brick and mortar campus where I was allowed to take two courses during a 6 week course window. I learned quite a bit more than I was expecting, and found the instructors well versed in their fields.

I later transitioned to the online program when I had to move cross country. The transition was smooth and easy. All in all, I spent 14 months getting my MBA. I am happy with the results.

Success comes from within oneself. it requires a drive and a priority to finish. At UoP I met students that didn’t have that drive, or those that had the drive but did not want to put their education ahead of other priorities. Those were the people that dropped behind. Those were the people that didn’t finish.

I never noticed a difference in rigor between by public school undergraduate education and that at UoP. What I did notice was their willingness to give everyone the opportunity to succeed, something you won’t find at schools with “rigorous” admission standards.

10. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

They need to enact a no adult left behind for schools like this. If X percentage of students don’t graduate in x amount of time, they lose their right to offer financial aid.

11. Consumeristing says:

Let’s not jump on the haterade bandwagon. Here’s a link to the incredible jaw-droppingly low graduation rates at the California State University system http://www.cpec.ca.gov/StudentData/GradRates.asp:

The average 4-year graduation is 13%. Specific campuses are even worse, 9% for CSUN, 4.6% for CSUDH, 7.2% for SJSU (the ‘Silicon Valley’ state college). Shut them down? The link actually studied Devry, ITT, and UofPhoenix’s graduation rate. The 4-yr grad rate for Phoenix students? 0.8%. The zero out front isn’t a typo. The other did a lot better comparable to CSUs. Conclusion: for-profits are fine if compared to the similarly awful grad rates of public universities, but UofPhoenix needs its accreditation pulled.

• Chaosium says:

“Let’s not jump on the haterade bandwagon.”

There are a million reasons to hate on the private, for profit “university” system, this is but one.

• Crazytree says:

Cost of a “4-year” [snicker] degree from Univ. of Phoenix vs. Cal State? 8-10x?

12. Miraluka says:

At my school, I think only 40% graduate in 4 years. But this is more because 1/3 of the student body take part in the co-op program where they work full-time every third semester, so it takes 5 years to finish academic coursework.

Then probably another 20% of the student body decide to go 5 years anyways, so that they can finish their masters.

I acknowledge that this is far from the norm, but hey, it’s not like not graduating college in 4 years is the end-all statistic to talk about college academics and the American educational system.

13. katia802 says:

From what my school told me, (when I went in and enrolled) only 25% of people enrolled in my program graduate on time. Most just give up! This is only an 18 month Associate’s program. How many of these folks who don’t graduate are just not showing up for classes, not willing to do the work, etc? That’s what I’m seeing at my school constantly. I’m in the hardest program, and fortunately, most of the folks in my group are die hard/dreamed of working with animals all their lives people, but in the easier programs people drop like flies! Makes no sense to me, this is a ton of money to spend just to waste it by partying instead.

14. JiminyChristmas says:

There needs to be some sort of public service campaign informing people that BA’s from for-profit colleges are overpriced and next to worthless. AA’s or certificate programs at private schools may be monstrously overpriced but at least you have a specific skill if you finish the program.

If I or anyone I know were looking to hire someone for a position that required a college degree, a resume with Univ. of Phoenix or any other for-profit or online school on it would go to the bottom of the pile if they were lucky. On most days a resume with that would go straight in the trash. Those degrees widely perceived as being lower in quality than one from any state university or community college.

Seriously, if I were weighing two resumes and one was from Univ. of Phoenix and the other from Bumfuck Community College the one from BCC is the one that would get a second look. What makes it even worse is that I question the judgment and intelligence of anyone who fell for the for-profit school marketing scams and overpaid for a degree from a poorly respected institution. I have more respect for the person who went to a cheap school and at least got what they paid for.

• Clyde Barrow says:

A buddy of mine did the Phoenix bachelor thing back in ’02 – ’05. He didn’t complain except for the fact that he did most of the work for his teammates as they failed to follow-through with their end. That’s easy to do with online work.

I went to Baker College online for my MBA and graduate in ’03 and I busted my ass in every class. I had to do a research paper for every course that I took and each paper was a minimum 30 pages and was expected to be formatted in APA. My instructors were very disciplined and expected all of us to work hard. I remember my stats teacher and he was the hardest. I got a “C” and I strived for that grade. lol. Only “C” I got but I worked hard for it. I remember for my Managerial Accounting course I had this instructor who was this cool, little old lady from Kentucky. Let me tell you, she knew her stuff and she was tough. No breaks from this woman and I remember working on a problem back in ’03 for three days straight. I hate accounting to this day but I learned and got an “A”.

Not only that, but for my Capstone course, I was required to take every research paper that I completed, consolidate it into a “book” form, re-edit for the new prof, and then re-submit it. It was 210 pages long. I read that stinking “book” at least five times through while re-editing it and finally on the last day of class, I printed it out and drove the damn thing up to Flint, Michigan just to hand it in so it would not be late. lol. I got an A-.

That is one school that I feel that I earned every grade and the money was well worth it.

• ArizonaGeek says:

You’re a nimrod for dumping resumes of for-profit schools. Don’t you think if I could attend a regular college, I would? I am working my ass off for my BA at the University of Phoenix, people that actually graduate are usually pretty smart people. I really have no choice in where I get my degree, I work for a living, sometimes 50 hours a week. I couldn’t attend a non-profit college if I wanted. The classes are every bit as hard (or easy) as any other college. Don’t you dare tell me I am not smart because of where I went to school. You mightier than thou prick.

You sir are an idiot.

• sasakan says:

You, sir, are the idiot. The classes are U of P are not hard. They are a JOKE. I have passed all my classes with all A’s without putting in much effort at all. I can write a large assignment paper in 30 minutes, tops, and get a perfect score. There is no difficulty and no stimulation in those “classes”.

I’m not trying to say you aren’t smart for where you go to school, I’m just shocked that anyone would think those classes are challenging. But then again, according to you, I’m some loser kid who couldn’t hack it in regular college. I work just as many hours, or more, in a week than you, on night shift no less. Try working 5 or 6 13-hour night shifts and then come talk to me and tell me I’m some loser kid.

15. Jane_Gage says:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/10/education/10kaplan.html?_r=1 Students don’t repay their loans either.

16. Chaosium says:

“Let’s not jump on the haterade bandwagon.”

17. whgt says:

Basically kids these days are lazy…that about sums it up.

18. Bryan Price says:

And I thought the 5-9 year plan at Ohio State University was bad!

And yes, a morning DJ in Columbus went 8 years. And he still doesn’t have his degree (that I’m aware of…)

19. Caveat says:

The whole funding system has to be reformed so that there is accountability both at the student level and at the institutional level. Right now students just apply for loans, the government hands money over to banks, and they pass it on to the students without real screenings or consequences. Students should be charged an extra 30% penalty fee if they don’t complete their degree within an agreed upon number of years (yes I understand there should be extra time for those studying while working full time). Similarly the institutions should only get 70% of the fees paid to them with the remaining 30% to be paid as a lump sum when the student graduates. That way they would have an incentive to motivate students to stay in college.

20. Max5695 says:

I believe that some of these for-profit colleges are indeed not very good. However, some health science colleges can provide a good education.

The problem with for-profit colleges is that these colleges have entrance requirements that are lower than that of major public universities. Getting into a University of California campus requires a very high GPA. For profit colleges let practically any high school graduate enter. These are the same people who are most likely community college drop outs.

So yes, there is a high drop out rate at for-profit colleges. Many of the students dropped out of community college in the first place and then turned to for-profit colleges as a second chance. Some didn’t learn their lesson and will probably drop out again.

Some for-profit colleges do provide a good education. Medical science colleges that graduate nurses, pharmacy technicians, and other in demand health workers can be great colleges. Every single college is different. It depends on the teachers and how well they teach.

I chose a health science college because the local community college programs limit the number of students that they accept. It is very competitive to even get into a nursing program or pharmacy tech program at a community college. I would have had to wait years to get in, however the for-profit college gave me admission right away.

My education was very good at the college. I was able to pass the certification exam and become licensed. There are some good for-profit colleges out there. Yes, it is expensive, but admission is easier and you get a better level of education. I used to attend a University of California campus and the quality of education at my for-profit health science college was just as good and the teachers get to know you. Whereas at a University of California campus I was lost in the crowd and did not get any help from my teachers.

In the end, I ended up getting licensed. No matter where your degree comes from, being able to pass the licensing exam shows that you can get a quality education from a for-profit college.

• Chaosium says:

“However, I attend a for-profit health sciences college(vocational/career college). It has many programs such as nursing, pharmacy tech, medical assistant, etc. These colleges are very popular and jobs in the health field are still very popular. Nurses and Pharmacy Techs are in high demand.”

You’re talking about a different product and end-result. There are absolute metrics those grads have to attain, unlike Phoenix and Kaplan and all those mills.

21. ArizonaGeek says:

I’ve been at the University of Phoenix for almost a year now so I can speak with authority on the subject. What I’ve noticed is that there are two types of people that go to schools like U of P, first type. Me. I am 40 years old and work (sometimes 50+ hours a week,) married and kids. I couldn’t attend a “regular” college now if I wanted. I barely have time for U of P but I push through it. The second type are the loser dumb ass kids who couldn’t get into a regular college because they’re too lazy or too stupid. Most who don’t fail out in the first few classes wind up dropping eventually.

Anyone that skips resumes because they say they have a BA from a for profit school is a dumb ass, and are missing some very talented people. I work my ass off and am pulling a 3.38 gpa, not bad for someone like me. The classes are not throw away classes, at least not all of them, well no more than any state school. It is very hard work, and double so for those of us who weren’t able to attend college out of high school. So the 9% who actually graduate are the ones who actually work their tail off for it. The rest would have failed anyway IF they could have gotten into any other college. The for-profit schools take anyone and everyone, they aren’t choosy like the non-profits.

I think this article is skewed and not taking account all the reasons why people choose a for-profit school over a non-profit.

• XianZomby says:

You should tell those “dumb ass kids who couldn’t get into a regular college because they’re too lazy or too stupid” that if they just put off college entirely until they’re 40, after they’ve knocked up their high school girlfriend and had a bunch of kids, their story of going to an online college will make them heroes instead of losers. You’re an authority, right?

• sasakan says:

+1 internets to you.

I am, according to the OP, one of those “dumb ass loser kids” because I am 22 and put in as many hours as my job as he does, which makes traditional college impossible for me as well. But my age makes me one of those loser dumb ass kids.

Frankly, U of P is a JOKE. Worst mistake of my life but I’m done in 2 1/2 weeks with my program and then I’m getting the hell out of dodge. After being a student there, it is just so difficult to see them as a legitimate school. My only hope is that the overpriced bullshit degree I’m getting will get me into a real college program soon so I can actually learn something. I’ve learned nothing at the U of P except how to bullshit through an even bullshittier assignment.

• Chaosium says:

That doesn’t explain all the people who are unable to repay their loans after they graduate. Obviously they’re all lazy parasites, unlike you, who are a captain of industry, and totally not being exploited by a shady system.

22. RogueWarrior65 says:

I distinctly remember a big freshman orientation lecture. The speaker said “Look to your left, look to your right. One of you won’t be here next year.” Not really sure if that was intended to motivate people.

23. sasakan says:

I’m buying my degree from the University of Phoenix. I say buying because the classes are absolutely not intellectually stimulating. I fall into the 9% though! I’m getting out in less than 2 years. I had pre-reqs from when I went to community college a few years back but it was recent enough that they had still be usable. In fact, I am done and ‘graduate’ in about 2 1/2 weeks. And I will never look back. This school is a joke and one of the worst decisions of my life. I only stuck with it because I had invested so much already and was so close by the time I was firm in my thinking that the place was such a huge joke. If you are even considering them, look for something better, I implore you. This was one of the biggest mistakes of my life and all I’m going to get for it is a crappy ‘degree’ that I am desperately hoping will help me transition into a legitimate degree program at some point.

• Chaosium says:

“This school is a joke and one of the worst decisions of my life. I only stuck with it because I had invested so much already and was so close by the time I was firm in my thinking that the place was such a huge joke. If you are even considering them, look for something better, I implore you.”

At least you can recognize this, there are plenty of deluded asses in this thread that would con others into making the same decision(s). Best of luck.

24. lens42 says:

Here is a much more detailed account of this scam. It also shows who gains. As usual, “follow the money”. The analysis was done by Steve Eisman, who correctly forecast the sub-prime bond collapse.

25. mobiuschic42 says:

I’ll admit to not reading the linked article, but I wonder if these are including people who sign up to take 1 or 2 individual classes? Before going into a masters program, I’ll need to take some prereqs. I’m not likely to do it at a for-profit, but I could see someone doing it that way.