Grocery Shrink Ray Zaps Costco Diapers

Buying diapers at Costco seems like a decent way for parents to save money, but eagle-eyed Consumerist reader Eric noticed that he’s no longer getting quite so much bulk for his buck.

Eric recently noticed that the big box of Kirkland Signature (Costco’s house brand) had been zapped by the Grocery Shrink Ray (patent pending; all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed). He’d previously been getting 212 diapers in a box and was now only getting 208.

Of note: Eric noticed that the most recent box he’d purchased was back up to 212. It’s likely that is an older box that should have been sold before the Shrink Ray was turned on.

Comments

1. human_shield says:

Sometimes the Huggies at Costco are cheaper than Kirkland anyway.

2. Darrone says:

Negative posts about Costco will not be tolerated – The Hive Mind.

3. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

At least they shrunk the quantity not the size of the diapers “Used to hold 4 ounces, now holds 2″

4. Blueskylaw says:

Maybe the baby grew therefore the diapers got smaller therefore there are less in the box therefore no shrink ray. No?

5. pirate_panda says:

That’s less than a 2% drop. I wonder if it was even worth the effort redesigning the boxes, etc. for such a small change.

6. Scurvythepirate says:

Ahhhh Crap!!!

7. therealchriss says:

Website still says 212. Maybe the 208 was an older box?

8. trentblase says:

As far as I know, costco has always done this with their store brand. This was recently evidenced by fluctuations in the cost of maple syrup — the container got bigger or smaller depending on the price. I felt really savvy that I had made something like $15 by accidentally participating in the maple syrup market (when I noticed the container I bought for around $15 was now half the size)

9. nbs2 says:

Coupled with the new “redesigned” formula cans, I haven’t very please with Costco’s courting of the infant market as of late. Of course, everybody else is letting the GSR fly, so they still look good in comparison.

10. NightStalker3 says:

Diapers are a scam!

11. dourdan says:

intresting, they are probabably doing it a little at a time to see what peopel will tolerate. next month you will see a 204 pack

12. DanRydell says:

So buy them from whatever store sells them for the lowest per-diaper price…

13. obits3 says:

Wow, that baby just got smaller!

14. PLATTWORX says:

For fun, I would love a law that forced stores to display as “NEW: FEWER IN A BOX FOR THE SAME PRICE” over items that changed like this. ;)

15. Cindymiles says:

They are really the best diapers. Super absorbent. Huggies second best and pampers avoid avoid!

16. jleonar says:

Target has their store brand cheaper than costco. I made the same mistake in thinking Costco would be cheaper. Target’s diaper are much cheaper.

• Southern says:

Thanks for the info, I’ll have my daughter check that out.. She usually gets hers at Walmart, and they’re like $25 for 108 (Size 4) diapers.

17. Skipjim says:

We have 2 year old twins, so the cost of diapers is something we researched heavily when they came home.

We found that the local grocery store (Meijers) brand diapers worked as well as the Costco brand and were a bit less expensive. I think we pay $15 for 72 size 5 diapers.