Lenscrafters Breaks Your Glasses, Offers 50% Off New Pair

Be wary when someone offers to clean your glasses for free. Two different readers on opposite sides of the country wrote to us in one 24-hour span with Lenscrafters horror stories. They describe perfectly good glasses ruined after an offer of a nice cleaning from the eyewear giant.

Kevin wrote:

A few weeks ago I finally decided to try contacts. After considering my
options I decided upon LensCrafters as I have been using them for years and
always had great experiences. At the end of the appointment, I was about to
leave with my contacts on and I was stopped by the store manager who
insisted on doing a free cleaning on my glasses. I agreed because they had been
very helpful before and I trusted them. The manager handed over my glasses
to an assistant who cleaned them. After the cleaning, my glasses were put in
a case and I was sent on my way.

The next morning, out of force of habit, the first thing I did was to grab my
glasses. In the dim light they looked a little off but I was not concerned.
About an hour later, I was looking at my glasses under better light and
discovered that the paint had been worn off the sides of the glasses and
there were visible marks. I attempted to call the store and could not get
through to anyone so I called corporate. After speaker with them I was
transferred back to the store and a lab technician picked up. I explained the
marks and the cleaning and the technician said “Do you have Ray-Bans?” The
first assumption he made were the brand of glasses that I was wearing. I
asked if it was common and he replied “Something in the chemicals we use to
clean the glasses can have an effect on Ray-Bans.” After a brief discussion,
he told me to come in and talk to a manager to get it resolved.

I went in and explained to an assistant manager what had happened, and the
conversation with the lab technician (who I later found of is the supervisor
of that department.) She was very polite but said that the most she can
offer me is %50 off of a new pair. I declined the offer on the grounds that
I had perfectly good glasses before I went in and now they do not have the
same value. I explained that I should not have to pay out of pocket for a
mistake that was not mine. I was then referred to the Store Manager.

After speaking back and forth and returning on multiple visits to try to get
this corrected, I was still only offered %50 off. The manager claimed that
they use only soap and water, and that she personally cleaned them herself.
I knew that I was being lied to and stopped communication with
LensCrafters.

As a former LensCrafters patron I will no longer be able to buy from them as
I have simply lost my faith in them. I urge other readers at the very least
to not accept “free” cleanings. As a Consumerist reader for years, I should have
known that free comes with a price.

The next afternoon, Tracey wrote to us:

I took my Dolce and Gabbana eyeglasses to Lenscrafters Saturday night to be cleaned and adjusted, then hours later they fell apart. These glasses are 1 ½ years old. They told me they are unfixable, no longer under warranty, and that the style is discontinued. So they will give me a 50% off discount off of a new pair. That they broke.

Cleaning customers’ glasses and breaking them on purpose to encourage sales would be pretty shady, rather illegal, and downright evil, so no one wants to accuse Lenscrafters of doing that. Still, the coincidence was too strange to ignore, and we have to ask: has anyone else had an experience like this at Lenscrafters or another optician?

RELATED:
The Lenscrafters Sales Vortex Will Not Let You Just Buy Frames
Lenscrafters’ Guarantee Is Kind Of Crappy Unless You Complain To Corporate

Comments

1. GMFish says:

so no one wants to accuse Lenscrafters of doing that.

Oh, certainly not. Implicate yes. Accuse, a big no.

2. Bohemian says:

Pearle did this with my kids glasses. They broke a trim piece that was on the side of his glasses when they were doing a minor adjustment. Then proceeded to charge my husband $40 for a new bow with the trim piece. The glasses also had a break warranty on them they ignored.

3. minjche says:

That’s an unfortunate result for the OP. Their glasses should really be replaced. I’ve never used Lenscrafters myself (in the words of 1-800-Contacts, I have “special” eyes).

I have a local eye doctor who just opened up and is trying to rope in new patients with a sale of $29 for an eye exam and, and this is the kicker, $20 for two complete pairs of glasses. If the OP’s are within range of Augusta, GA, boy do I have a solution for them.

• zentex says:

which eye doctor would this be in town?

• minjche says:

Stanton Optical at the intersection of Washington Rd. and Bobby Jones. It’s an ugly tan building.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I used to work for an Optical Company that just sold the frames dirt cheap. The markup is UNREAL. That Dr i’m sure might take a slight loss in the beginning, but will gain so many customers…. it’s a great business model for a new company.

• minjche says:

Well I’m only living here temporarily so unfortunately they won’t be gaining me as a long-term customer BUT I will probably try to pay extra to trade up for a nice pair of Ray Bans frames. If Adam from Mythbusters can pull off the look, why can’t I?

• steveliv says:

washington rd and bobby jones…i can recall walgreens and cvs at that corner, but i don’t recall a tall ugly brown building. is it where that old car lot used to be? i recall seeing some construction last time i went that way.

• minjche says:

It was literally just built this summer. I moved down here at the end of May and it was just a framework then, and then by July-ish it was a solid building. I usually avoid that intersection like the plague so I haven’t seen it recently.

It’s diagonally across from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts. Just outside of the intersection is a Bojangles, Arby’s, Wendy’s, and Taco Bell.

• moyawyvern says:

I don’t normally drive an hour and 20 minutes for an eye appointment, but those prices just about make it worth it. I have had the same glasses for 4 years, through a combination of my prescription not changing, cheapness, and loving the style of my current frames. Might be time for a change.

• minjche says:

I’d recommend calling first. I haven’t driven past them in a while so I’m not sure if the sale is still going.

• caradrake says:

I get my glasses through Zenni Optical online. One pair of glasses, with anti-glare coating, costs me about $12. And I can get extra frames for $4 apiece to keep on hand when my kids break the current pair. Shipping cost is one price regardless of how many items are ordered.

I love them!

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That sounds like a bargain. Who actually makes the lenses?

• juniper says:

They’re made in Taiwan, at least according to the packaging and customs marks I’ve received on my glasses from Zenni.

Zenni does have some limitations: They can’t seem to get prism right. Their high-index lenses are hit-or-miss. And if your glasses arrive broken, tough. They won’t refund, only send a replacement which could take up to six weeks. The plastic frames are soft and light, which is great if you have a light RX but if you use high-index lenses, aren’t so great.

• juniper says:

• juniper says:

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ve thought about buying a pair of glasses on line. The prices are so low, I figure it really can’t hurt.

I have a very strong prescription and have noticed that not all lenses are created equal. The thickness tends to vary considerably (everywhere has different definitions of what constitutes a lightweight lens) and cheaper lenses tend to have a subtle grayish tint and more pronounced distortion along the outside of the field of vision.

• extrudedcow says:

You can get metal frames for a few dollars more. So far my 18$ glasses have held up better than my 200$ Lenscrafters did, and I didn’t have to deal with a shady optometrist who intentionally gave me wrong prescription information.

• minjche says:

Yeah I first learned of Zenni Optical from comments on this article. I’m used to my glasses costing $100-$300 (even after insurance) so all of this is very new to me.

4. agold says:

Every glasses place I’ve ever been to will tell me before adjusting my frames that if they break them, they are not liable for the damage. Which is why I try to go to the place where I bought them to get them cleaned and adjusted.

The thing that pisses me off about Kevin’s experience is that the manager approached *him* about cleaning her glasses. And how the hell did he mess up the finish? I’ve never had that happen! I hope he keeps pushing because the issue because that is just wrong.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I completely agree. Any adjustments have the potential for damage and anyone with glasses should know this.

As for damage to the finish, that is definitely on Lenscrafters. The technician should have inspected them for visible damage to the lenses or frames prior to cleaning them.

• mythago says:

The fact that they TELL you they are not liable for the damage does not mean that they really aren’t liable for the damage.

5. kc2idf says:

It did take my wife several attempts to get LensCrafters to produces a set of glasses (new) that didn’t have scratched lenses. I suspected (and continue to suspect) that this was a local problem. They did not, to my recollection, offer a 50% off deal, but did replace the lenses (each time) on the house, as it should be.

6. LadyTL says:

I’ve never had my glasses broken by a place but I have bad glasses in the first place sold to me by the same place. My mother kept going there because it was covered under her insurance when I was younger. One pair went filmy because the coating stripped off in less than a year and the second was understrength prescription that he still insists was higher to this day.

7. backinpgh says:

50% off their glasses is hardly a deal considering that they overprice their glasses by about 300%.

Small claims court FTW.

• twiggr says:

They own their own lab and have excellent prices.

• qwickone says:

better yet, eyebuydirect.com – i’ve ordered 3 pairs of glasses from them and they’re awesome and were cheap.

• LadyTL says:

That really only works though if your prescription doesn’t really change.

• mattarse says:

You don’t have to buy glasses at the place that does the exam!

• LadyTL says:

You do if the doctor refuses to give you the prescription. Every place I go to get an exam afterwards refuses to give me the prescription saying only they can make it right since it is so complicated (It actually is though, different prescriptions for each eye, astigmatism and progressive near sightedness).

• Shadowfax says:

They’re your medical records. You have a right to them. Period.

BTW, almost everyone has a different prescription in each eye, and an astigmatism is no big deal for glasses.

• CentralScrutinizer says:

Optometrists and opthalmologists are required by Federal law to give you a copy of your prescription (16 CFR 456.2 Separation of Examination and Dispensing).

• grumpygirl says:

Your doctor is in violation of federal law. (and most likely a state law or two)

• vastrightwing says:

Yes, except they will not make any lenses with prism in them. I had an appoint with Costco and when the Dr. was done, he said unfortunately Costco will not be able to make these lenses for me. Guess where I went? Yep, Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters couldn’t make them even though they tried 4 different times. They simply couldn’t do it. I give Costco credit for being upfront and honest. I give Lenscrafters a big BOO for wasting so much of my time and patience.

• sopmodm14 says:

hells to the yea

so of course they want to use the free cleanings…to break it..and hold you hostage for 50% of a new pair of glasses

ingenius really

lenscrafters used to be a house-hold name, so i’m astonished

8. sadolakced says:

My friend got free adjustment at lenscrafters. They broke the glassses, and gave her a completely new pair.

She took the old ones back to costco as well and got them replaced, and ended up with two new pairs of glasses.

9. Me - now with more humidity says:

I’ve never had a problem with LC. In fact, I had an above-and-beyond with them. I lived in LA, and had new no-correction lenses put in my RayBan frames (bought at LC) after vision surgery. After I moved to FL a couple of months later, I took them to the local LC for an adjustment. The tech looked at my lenses and realized there was a barely noticeable flaw in the coating… I thought it was a bad smudge. She replaced both lenses while I waited.

10. redskull says:

I’ve never understood the whole “get your glasses cleaned by a professional” concept. Perhaps I’m missing some key piece of info, but it seems to me like no matter what futuristic cleaning process they use, an hour later your glasses are going to have fingerprints and nose grease all over them again. I don’t see the point. Wipe ‘em off on your t-shirt and get on with your day.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

The second person who wrote in needed an adjustment. There are some adjustments that you just can’t really do yourself. When the nosepad gets misaligned, or when the joint gets a little bent.

As for the first person who wrote in, fabrics can scratch lenses, especially ones with some kind of protective coating. If you don’t have water or a cleaning spray handy, and a much more delicate cloth to clean your glasses, it can scratch the lenses. LensCrafters offered and people like free things. There was nothing wrong with the first person accepting the offer, and it’s not her fault LensCrafters broke her glasses.

• minjche says:

I’m with you, I clean my glasses on my shirt.

While at work though, I unfortunately need to tuck my shirt in :-P Lucky for me, I’m currently interning with a company that makes lense cleaning station things (where it has a bottle of cleaning solution and two boxes of lint-free paper wipes all contained in one box). They’re common in labs and we have them every couple of feet here at work, so having clean glasses here is never an issue.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I clean my glasses the same thing. Warm water with a little bit of soap and dried off with a paper towel.

However, I don’t use my shirt to clean them. The fabric softener we use tends to put a thin residue on the lenses.

• TooManyHobbies says:

I agree. My optician is always making noises about how I really should buy their special lens cleaning fluid in a 1 oz spray bottle for $5, and use only a special microfiber cloth, or I’ll surely do massive damage to my glasses.

You know what? I wash my glasses with a drop of hand soap on my fingers, rinse in tap water and dry (fairly carefully though not ridiculously so) with the cheap recycled paper towels in the dispensers at work. My current glasses are 2 years old and they have not a single scratch on them after being “abused” like this pretty much daily.

• jamar0303 says:

Lucky you. Mine generally start showing scratches within a year with similar treatment. And that’s the ones with the Japanese (Hoya) lenses and anti-scratch coating. I used to buy glasses from a local chain store (out here in China, LensCrafters is but a niche player) and those started wearing out in months. I’d love to have lenses that are scratch-free after 2 years.

• Jaws_Victim says:

As an Optician, that’s fine to use for SOME lenses. However, if you have an Anti-reflective coating, concentrated dish soap, alcohol, and windex will strip the coating over time. There is a reason stores sell the solution, because it is safe to use on lenses and keeps scratches to a minimum.

• ellemdee says:

What about antibacterial liquid hand soap? I have anti-reflactive Teflon coating on my lenses and don’t want to risk damaging or stripping the coating.

11. Tim says:

In offering the 50% discount, did they admit fault? If so, that’s a pretty powerful weapon that you can either escalate within the company or take to small claims court (or both).

12. pfepher says:

The irony is Lens Crafters, Rayban and the eyewear licensing for Dolce & Gabbana are all owned by the same company: Luxottica Group. Replacing these 2 pair of glasses should be no problem, however Luxottica is by far the largest player in eyewear and they know it.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Hopefully someone with more savvy will be able to help both of these people and earn a customer for life.

13. DragonThermo says:

I smell a sequel to “United Breaks Guitars”… “Lenscrafters Breaks Glasses”!

14. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m thinking that they might be doing it on purpose to increase sales. With Zinni, I am sure they are hurting for $$$$.

15. AustinTXProgrammer says:

This is why I get my glasses from zennioptical.com. If I step on them, child throws them in the lake (happened to my wife’s expensive sunglasses last week), or anything else I don’t have to worry. A brand new pair is $25 (Could be as low as $8, but I’m not that cheap).

16. Murbob says:

I’ve been a lenscrafters customer for about 20 years and I can tell you from that in the last 3 or 4 years the company, or at least the local store I visit, has taken a serious nose dive in both quality and service.

My last visit to them will be the last time they see me. I’d rather go to a small office doctor, pay a bit more and have to wait a little longer than deal with lenscrafters again.

17. tfcocs says:

I go to a small local chain near my office in Center City, Philadelphia, and the staff there are great; the office manager has been nothing but ethical in my dealings with her. I got my glasses there two years ago, and picked up a set of contact lenses. When I came in for an exam this year, I had a slightly different prescription for the lenses, and I anticipated that the glasses would need to be updated, too. The manager took a look at the glasses, and told me that I didn’t need to change the lenses in them. I only needed to get new contacts! That manager has my eternal respect for valuing me as a long term customer.

18. TooManyHobbies says:

I have now switched to zenni optical (zennioptical.com) for my glasses. I have two pair and they’re as good as any glasses I’ve gotten from optician. Typical price from optician, $300, my most recent pair was > $600 from them.

From Zenni Optical? $30. Several of my friends have now used them and had good luck.

As far as I can tell, the glasses are about identical. The main difference being that zenni has more selection and more options. I think opticians just mark $50 glasses up to $600.

I mean, just take “anti glare coating” as an example. $5 at zenni, $99 at the optician. Identical performance.

19. u1itn0w2day says:

Isn’t that 50% off a regular Lensecrafter sale promotion. It almost sounds like these stores are a independently owned franchise?-sometimes individual owners are tougher than a corporate owned store. Or the manager is simply worried about his budget as to impress corporate hq.

20. leprechaunshawn says:

Lasik is where it’s at. I no longer have to worry about anybody breaking my glasses. At least not until I need reading glasses in a few years.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I know people who can’t see at night with Lasik. At night they need the room lit up like a movie set. They love their day vision but apparently the night vision sucks.

21. jf4maddy says:

I went in once to get new nose pieces and they broke right in the girls hands. I had told her to be careful, because I knew that they were on their last leg and that they weren’t going to last that much longer. Even though it was not her fault, LensCrafters replaced my frames with an identical pair and just popped my lenses in them. Free! It was great!

22. daemonaquila says:

I really think this varies from LC to LC. I will not go into most of them if you paid me, as they overprice, use shady sales tactics, are pushy, hire incompetents to staff the stores, and pull crap like this. However, there is a single LC in town that I go to because their lab manager is made of awesome – he has made specialty off-scrip lenses for me, has given me free lenses when they did an iffy job on one and I just wanted the one fixed, etc.

That being said, my very worst experience at one of their stores was when I took my 8 month old glasses in for repair because a nose pad broke. They tried to make me buy a new frame and new lenses instead because they didn’t carry that brand any more so they didn’t have an OEM/exact match nose pad. Let’s just say that fur flew, and the idiot wound up putting in a new nose pad that was nearly indistinguishable from the other one on the frames, while still squawking that this is a “liability issue” to put a non-OEM nose pad on the frames and I should get new glasses.

23. Plasmafox says:

Who the heck buys expensive frames like that in this economy? Also, when I read the headline “breaks your glasses”, I assume “shattered lenses” or “broken hinges” not “the paint on the sides got scratched a little bit”.

Lenscrafters should still fix them at their expense. But seriously, this is like taking a Porsche to a Jiffy Lube.

24. italianbaby says:

recently i bought 2 new pairs of glasses at a local chain. ready in 1 hr. place.
    i left the store and came back to pick up my new glasses. they needed to do adjustments.
    after they adjusted both pairs, the girl took them off and cleaned each pair.
    while she was cleaning the second pair (as i was standing there) and watching her… lo and behold she broke them… (part that goes over your ear with hinge still attached)
    no problem she said, we’ll make you another set of glasses. she leaves and comes back 5 minutes later to tell me that frame has been discontinued. she tells me to pick another frame.
    so i go to the display and pick something similar. guess what? the one’s that i picked out cost $20.00 more then the one’s she broke and told me i had to pay the difference.
    this didn’t sit well with me, and i wasn’t going to pay extra, so after speaking with someone, management for 5 minutes and stating my case, they let the $20.00 slide.
    i wonder if this is a racket sometimes.

25. Roe says:

Anybody knows that when you hand over your glasses for an adjustment, or cleaning, there’s the possibility of breakage. As an optician, I look over things like lens condition, frame strength (solder points), and wearing of the frame finish. I make sure to point out anything suspicious, and let them know that it’s at their own risk. Or, I simply tell them, I can adjust them however, I won’t touch the nose pad arm as it moves too easily (for example) telling me that the solder point is weak.

I won’t go into the differences of various coatings. HOWEVER, I will tell you something about cleaning your lenses. NEVER EVER use anything made of paper to clean your lenses. Even those little foil packs that have the disposable cleaning cloth, like an alcohol swab thing.
    The reason being that paper is made from…….what? Wood pulp. No matter how refined, you’re basically cleaning your lenses with sawdust. Also, lenses should always be wet before wiping them. Preferably, try to just run them under water at the faucet and let any loose debris fall off the lens rather than rub it off. Using your shirt to clean them is not a good thing. The lenses are never wet when you do this, and if there’s anything on the lens or shirt material, you are just grinding it in.

At home, I either put a drop of dawn dish washing liquid on my finger and clean them under the tap, or I make a homemade solution of 2 parts water, 1 part alcohol and 1 drop of dawn in a small spray bottle that I use. I agree with the person that said something about fabric softener. Fabric softener is oil based. When you use a cloth that has been exposed to fabric softener, it just makes it harder to clean the lenses. Thus, more rubbing.

I hope this helps to make your glasses last longer……

26. Roe says:

I hope this helps to make your glasses last longer……

27. PLATTWORX says:

Have these OPs written Lenscrafter’s corporate offices? Have they filed complaints at BBB.org online. My experience is that will get much faster results than marching back and forth into a store where the manager can’t give any more than 50%.

28. ellemdee says:

I’ve always have my glasses adjusted at the same store I bought them at, figuring that if anything did go wrong, they couldn’t blame it anyone else and would have to own up to it. The place I used to go to even said that they would replace my glasses if they broke and it was their fault (I always ask). Boy was I wrong. The tech broke my glasses while adjusting them and denied they did it. They were thin plastic frames and when they handed them back to me, there was a crack 90% through the frame right above one of the lenses. It held together for a few days until the simple act of putting them on stressed the frames enough for the remaining 10% that was holding the frames together to give out. I noticed the break immediately after leaving the store and went right back in to bring it to their attention. The tech was new and I never had a problem with the regular tech adjusting them. They claimed it was impossible that they broke them, since they didn’t adjusting that part of the glasses. No amount of reasoning was going to convince them that they actually had to hold the glasses to adjust the arms and a strong twisting motion could have caused the damage. The doc/owner refused to replace my glasses since they were out of warranty (they wanted to bill the manufacturer) and the best they would offer me was $20 off my copay on a replacement pair that would still cost ~$200 after insurance. I immediately switched to another place, but I couldn’t even buy new frames to put the old lenses in, since the frames were no longer sold. I now have a pair of perfectly good several hundred dollar lenses (even after insurance)that I can’t even use as a backup pair. I’m so paranoid about having my frames adjusted now that I try to avoid it for as long as possible.

29. calchip says:

I’ll second the recommendation for zenni optical. Amazing prices, good quality (indistinguishable from ones i’ve paid 10x the price for), and good selection. Only downside is you have to wait a couple of weeks, but it isn’t a problem to me.

I got good quality single-vision lenses and frames for $8, and titanium flex frames with progressive bifocals for $40. Compare that to about $100 and $400 at my local optician.

30. ragnaroc says:

I have glasses and contacts and when I was younger the family insurance wouldn’t cover mom and pop type optometrists, only the major chains and every pair of glasses from there always broke. When we were finally able to switch to a local place the quality of both the glasses and the exams increased 100x’s over. Even now I still have a pair of glasses from when I was a senior in high school. Since than I’ve switched to a different local optometrists who also happens to go to my church so I always know that i’ll receive top notch service for anything ranging from glass’s adjustment and contact fittings

31. dee1313 says:

You can get a pair of glasses for $8, plus $5 shipping for the entire order. For the first time in my life, I have my normal glasses AND prescription sunglasses (extra $5 for tinting). I got a $30 pair and my sunglasses are an $8 pair. Total: $48 ($30 glasses + $8 glasses + $5 tinting + $5 shipping).

If you have a werid shaped head (my head is slightly bigger than your average child), you can get a rimless pair and customize the dimensions. I went to Walmart and tried on the glasses there. One of the employees showed me what the numbers on the glasses meant so I knew what size to look for online.

I went back to the site to verify that the prices are the same, but it’s running slow on these work computers. It looks like they’ve made the site better, and have $6.95 glasses now. You may need to have your doctor measure your pupilary distance for you. It wasn’t on my prescription.

32. norrismantooth says:

I ordered a pair of glasses from LensCrafters, in Plano, TX (Collin Creek Mall). I went with the whole deal – AR coating, scratch protection, etc. Total was $545 – before I handed them my insurance card and asked if my insurance gave any discounts. Lucky for me, they did, so my total was $320. Still absurd.

The glasses have yet to arrive – Wednesday would be day 10.

I hadn’t checked LensCrafters reputation online before buying the glasses, but I figured they were alright since they’ve had that store in the mall there since before I was born (I’m 26).

Though, one unsettling thought: The girl who sold the glasses to me couldn’t tell me the difference (technically or chemically) between plastic and polycarbonate lenses. What a dumbass.

I hope I don’t have a problem with LensCrafters. Otherwise, I may be back here.