Black & Decker and Haier Freezers Recalled Because Cold Stuff Isn't Supposed To Burst Into Flames

The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Haier America have announced the recall of 67,500 Black & Decker and Haier chest freezers over a potential fire hazard.

According to the CPSC, a capacitor in the recalled freezers’ circuitry can overheat, posing a fire hazard.

There are currently 18 known incidents, including four reports of fires with minor property damage, consisting of smoke damage, damage to a wall, and food spoilage. Luckily, there have been no reports of injuries.

From CPSC:

This recall involves the Black & Decker® Model BFE53 and Haier® Model ESNCM053E 5.3 cubic foot capacity white chest freezers. “Black & Decker” is printed at the front upper-right corner or “Haier” is printed on the front upper-left corner of the freezer. “Black & Decker” or “Haier,” the model number, the unit’s serial number and other information are printed on a rating label at the top center of the back of the freezer. Only Model BFE53 and Model ESNCM053E freezers with serial numbers beginning as follows are included in this recall:
freezerrecall

The Black & Decker brand freezers were sold exclusively at Walmart from January 2010 through September 2010, for about $150. The Haier model was sold through Amazon.com and other retailers from May 2010 through October 2010 for between $220 to $290.

If you own one of these recalled freezers, the CPSC advises that you should immediately unplug the freezer and contact the company to schedule an appointment for a free repair.

Contact: Call (877) 878-7579 between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET Saturdays and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Sundays or go to www.chestfreezerrecall.com

Haier America Recalls Chest Freezers Due to Fire Hazard [CPSC]

Comments

1. StuffThingsObjects says:

Sounds like a bad case of freezerburn.

• Venus Blue says:

/sunglasses ?

• u1itn0w2day says:

Freezer burn-lol

Buy Haier or B&D have all your meat pre cooked…

I’d be leary if the freezer compressors didn’t turn off on occassion. Constantly running or constantly off would be another sign of a defective unit.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

They just need to modify the product description to read “Black & Decker BFE53 Freezer/Grill.”

3. RandomHookup says:

I’ve managed to catch a bowl of ice cream on fire, so speak for yourself.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

I *told* you to go easy on the Everclear Ripple.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

I watched a guy burn down a fully filled swimming pool.
      note to self, ignore spouses request to float tealights in the pool.
      skimmers are firetraps.

4. full.tang.halo says:

Silly Black & Decker, simply reclassify this as a bonus feature.

The new B&D self cooking freezer!!!

5. Marlin says:

Wal-Mart, we only sell quality products. :)

• Gandalf the Grey says:

I think you missed something there. Amazon sold these too.

The only difference between the products Amazon and Walmart sold, was the name, but they cost about $100 less at walmart.

• Marlin says:

Amazon is more a mall now then a store. They sell what anybody wants to put up. Hell I can go list a pile of dog turd at Amazon now.
        WM on the other hand selects what gets in and not.

• Jfielder says:

Again… you’re still missing it. If you listed your dog turd on Amazon, it’s not sold by Amazon, it’s sold by you, with Amazon just acting as a middle man, and taking a cut, kind of like if you sold something on eBay. Amazon does sell a great deal of products on their own…. this freezer being one of them.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

I had this same type of argument with a gentlemen the other day.

He wanted to pin President Bush (and only President Bush) for TARP, but he wanted to President Obama to be completely free and clear of any problem with health care reform, because congress acted on health care, so therefore congress made the mistakes.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

Annoyance at coming up against the same reasoning in a different area made me forget some people could see that wording as a political statement (on election day none the less). My intent was simply to say that you can’t play favorites just because you like one of them more than the other.

If you’re in the US, get out and vote today! For whoever *you* feel is the best candidate for the job!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What? Amazon.com itself is a store, and Amazon.com sells these freezers. It doesn’t matter whether a third party sells these freezers through the marketplace; it doesn’t change the fact that Amazon also sells the Haier freezers.

• Rachacha says:

WM also pressures its suppliers to trim costs until you can’t trim anymore and then find a way to shave an additional 10% of the costs. That trickles through the entire supply chain with each component manufacturer doing what they can to trim costs at any cost which often times means skimping a bit on quality tolerances or reliability.

6. Emperor Norton I says:

More crap that’s made in China!

7. Daverson says:

Serious question: Is anything made by Haier any good? Every time I’ve been in the market for a product that Haier happens to make, they seem to be the shoddiest pieces of shit available.

• Nighthawke says:

Well, their little beer boxes work well, if you didn’t take an ice pick to the block of ice that forms in it.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I got a Haier mini-fridge six years ago and it’s still running just fine. It took college dorm abuse and made it through at least seven moving trips.

• LastError says:

Well, I got a full-size Haier fridge earlier this year year. It’s been pretty good for the most part.

There are some things I’d call “rough edges” that might not have been done on the bigger brands, like the way the crisper drawers require a lot of effort to slide and make a lot of noise doing so. Maybe some wax would fix it. I haven’t tried. And there’s a part on the ice maker that wants to come off. It’s basically cosmetic but annoying and my old Kenmore ice maker -which looked identical- never did that.

Lately there’s an issue with the fridge door gasket being sort of loose but I am not convinced somebody didn’t snag it on their shoe. It’s going to be easy to fix when I have time. Not this week.

These things sound bad I guess but I am being A) picky since this is really the first time I have ever bought a Haier, B) the first time I’ve owned a new-new fridge, and C) honest.

It keeps food cold, makes a lot of ice, and generally works fine. I’ve had used fridges that didn’t do as well a job. Would I buy it again? Yep. I got a really good deal and no regrets.

One plus: this particular fridge was made in South Carolina as well, rather than being imported. That’s more than can be said of some of the more traditional “American” appliance brands.

8. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

pre-cooked frozen foods. sweet!

9. Nighthawke says:

Well, that’s not news to a former appliance repairman. Big companies are known to try to skimp on their hardware as much as possible. Sears is legendary in the wiring of their window AC units, burning the clips off the wiring at the capacitor. No major fire hazard that, but an annoyance for the customer. Another company that makes ice makers constantly skimped on their relay boxes, burning contacts with regularity. We made sure that we had all 6 different relays for their products stocked on the trucks before we rolled.
    One idiot operation put steel condenser tubing in their freezer models for 3 years before realizing that steel rusts. Once the integrity of the tubing was lost, the cooling effect went bye bye. There was hell to pay when the owners lost a few hundred dollars in frozen goods. Once they realized that the now ruined freezer could not be repairable, they went with another company, and some actually sued the manufacturer.

10. c!tizen says:

I like my cold stuff hot.

11. AngryK9 says:

The ultimate freezer: It stores, thaws, and cooks your meat for you, and you don’t even have to get out of your chair!

12. lucky13 says:

It’s not a bug, it’s our exclusive “quick defrost” feature!

13. lucky13 says:

It’s not a bug, it’s our exclusive “quick defrost” feature!

14. Bryan Price says:

Wow. I almost got one, but decided, since I’d never heard of Haier before, I went with the GE for a $10 premium.

15. gman863 says:

Does this mean Black & Decker will be using Pat Benetar’s Fire & Ice in their next ad campaign?