I Can't Find My Phone Dials Your Cell For You

Wallet, keys, check. Cellphone? Gah! Where did I put that darn thing?

Icantfindmyphone.com lets you type in your cellphone number and it will dial it for you so you can locate it underneath the pillow, couch cushion or pants pocket it’s hiding in. Handy in those situations where there’s not another phone nearby but you do have an internet connection.

A cheery robo voice calls you up and says “It looks like you found your phone. Have a great rest of the day.” The site says that it’s for entertainment purposes only and he’s not harvesting your number for anything. It doesn’t seem to work with Google Voice numbers, however.

It’s like an ad-free version of wheresmycellphone.com.

icantfindmyphone [Official Site via Swiss Miss]

Comments

1. MMD says:

That’s a fun and potentially helpful idea…but I’d still be careful about where my cell phone number goes. Maybe numbers aren’t being harvested now, but I can envision seeing the site being bought up by some corporate entity for exactly that purpose…

2. leprechaunshawn says:

I just tried it and it works. I hope that my phone number isn’t now being passed around like a $2 whore to robo-callers.

3. aloria says:

Wow, Consumerist… way to bring us news on the cutting edge of TWO YEARS AGO. So someone created an ad free version of wheresmycellphone.com? Great, now let’s take bets on how long the site stays running before Mr. Dawson ends up putting in ads or selling analytics.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Wow, Consumerist… way to bring us news on the cutting edge of TWO YEARS AGO.

I’m sure next time they’ll ask you first before posting anything since it apparently it only matters whether or not *you’ve* heard of it.

• aloria says:

My point is that services like this have been around and quite popular for years, so what’s the point in reporting on yet another new one? Plus, it’s a “call my cell phone” service, not some sort of incredible yet obscure tax rebate which is worth reminding people about from time to time.

It’s like posting “hey, guys, have you heard about this crazy new thing called the iPhone? You can run apps AND call people on it!”

• leprechaunshawn says:

I don’t own an iPhone but from what I’ve read you can’t do either of those on it very well.

4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

You can also go to Amazon and have a customer rep call you. It’s an automated service so when your phone rings, it hasn’t connected you to an actual person yet. You can end the call without feeling like you’ve actually hung up on someone.

5. mcs328 says:

Oh login to Gmail and make a free call from there!!

6. aloria says:

I should also mention that you can call your cellphone from Skype or Google Voice for a small fee, which, at least IMO, is preferable to punching your number into some random website where it’ll be stored/sent to God knows who.

7. Blueskylaw says:

” The site says that it’s for entertainment purposes only”
    For whose and what kind of entertainment?

“and he’s not harvesting your number for anything”
    Is he letting someone else harvest them?

Is this cynical thinking? Yes. Does this kind of questioning apply to the world we live in now?
    Absolutely.

• SpendorTheCheap says:

For doing it as many times in a row as I can to my office mate until he flips out.

• aloria says:

I always look at someone offering a service like this for free (no ads, either) with an extreme level of suspicion. He can say “I won’t spam you/sell your info, promise” all you want on the page; perhaps it’s even true at the moment, but that doesn’t guarantee that 6 months down the line when his hosting bill has gotten out of control he won’t take that list of every phone number ever entered into the site and sell it off.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Maybe the entertainment value is to decide at 3am that your boss must have misplaced his cellphone, and being the loyal subordinate that you are, you’ll help him locate it… Every 10-15 minutes. And being the true team player that you are, you won’t even tell him of your personal dedication in ensuring he can keep tabs on it at all hours of the night.

8. brandy says:

You could also email yourself a text message, if your text alert is loud enough to be useful. For example, Verizon Wireless customers can be texted via email using this format: 8008675309@vtext.com.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

If you use gchat, all you have to do is type the phone number in and it’ll send a text message.

9. jessjj347 says:

No way am I inputting my phone number into some random website so they can collect it in their database…

10. RickinStHelen says:

That would be great if my phone wasn’t always set on vibrate.

• Mamudoon says:

LOL, seriously. I just about always have my ringer turned off (or it’s dead because I forgot to charge it – I don’t use the thing very much), so it wouldn’t do me much good.

11. JayPhat says:

That’s a great idea. Why didn’t i think of doing that in the first place with another phone? Oh, I did. But since it’s on vibrate, thank goodness this counters that. Oh wait…..

I have wheres my droid installed on my phone just for this purpose. I sent a text message from anywhere using a certain word, it unmutes my phone, sets the volume to max, and rings for 30 seconds so I can find it.

• cash_da_pibble says:

whaaa? fucking awesome.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Why didn’t i think of doing that in the first place with another phone?

A better question is why you didn’t think of RTFA:
      Handy in those situations where there’s not another phone nearby

12. bubbledumpster says:

i’ve always just dialed a random number on google voice, then my phone rings and I hang it up.

• jesirose says:

It actually starts calling the other number too. I used to do this until my BF asked me why I was constantly calling him from my GV number and hanging up.

13. lymer says:

Didnt gizmodo.com post this link 3 days ago…

14. mythago says:

Gee, good thing I still have a land line.

15. Daverson says:

Awesome! I know it’s true, because it’s written right there on the internet, and no one on the internet lies.

Other free services coming soon:
    ismycreditcardstolen.com – Enter your credit card number and expiration date and we promise to check it against a database of stolen cards! We never keep your card information!

mySSNchecker.com – Enter your Social Security Number and name, and we’ll check FREE to be sure your name exactly matches Federal records. Safe! Secure! Trustworthy!

16. shoan says:

well i’m going to use it for that person that drunk dials me all the damn time and still can’t get it through their head that I am not the person that they were trying to get a hold of the time. This is much more fun that blocking a number.

17. consumedchick says:

I have always used:

18. duncanblackthorne says:

Just another IQ test: are you:
    A) Smart enough to not misplace your phone, and
    B) Smart enough to not give, and verify as working, your cellphone number to a potentially malicious company?

19. Brie says:

We made our own cell phone finder at home. Of course, it took twelve years and then we had to buy her a cell phone…

20. guroth says:

I will never put my phone number into an online form unless it is a popular entity that I am making purchases from (like amazon or newegg etc). This is a view I have had since 1993.

A fear years ago, after having the same cell # for 5 years, a naive girlfriend of mine put my number into some site (to receive something free or get coupons or some random garbage) and that very week I received my first ever unsolicited marketing call, AND text messages.

21. mbz32190 says:

I always use phonemyphone.com ….easier for me to remember I guess

• Bremma says:

Yeah, that the one I’ve always used as well. Works pretty good and never had random calls sent to it, so I assume they’re not pawning the numbers they get.

22. TheGreySpectre says:

My girlfriend works just fine for this purpose and when she isnt around I have skype. And if neither of those work than my phone is on vibrate and it won’t matter who I call it from.

23. Southern says:

If you have an Android phone, there are several (free) Apps in the market that will allow you to send yourself a Text/SMS message (either from email, or from someone else’s phone), and when it sees a “special word” in the message will automatically turn on the ringer (if it was on silent), turn the volume all the way up, and play your ringtone until your battery either runs out of juice, or you find the darn thing and shut it off.

There are of course also apps that will allow you to text/sms your Android phone (with other “special words”) and get it’s current GPS location, lock it, etc.. Useful I guess if it were lost or stolen..

24. Mcshonky says:

wheresmycellphone.com/

is what I use

25. Gundy says:

time to do some crank calls?

26. Sarcastico says:

What’s keeping some fun-ster from loading in phone numbers of friends/enemies at 3 a.m. for some good times?

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Just did it to my mother’s landline. Absolutely nothing, that’s what.

27. Laura Northrup says:

This is basically the only reason I keep a Skype account.

28. ophmarketing says:

Isn’t it quicker just to call it from your house phone?

• ophmarketing says:

Sorry, missed this line:

“Handy in those situations where there’s not another phone nearby but you do have an internet connection.”

But really, how often are you someplace where you might not know where you’ve left your phone, where you would also have an internet connection, but not another phone?

• XTC46 says:

I have no house phone, and havent in since I moved out of my parents house 8 years ago (And I hadnt used their since I got my first cell phone at 14 or 15 – Im 25 now). I dont even remember the last time I used a phone in a house that wasnt a cell phone.

• duxup says:

Houses can have phones?

29. davidsco says:

Or, you could use your house phone. Problem is, what do you do if your phone is off, or on Vibrate?

30. Kristoffer says:

Might use this every once in awhile – but their other site http://www.wakeupdialer.com I would use everyday.

31. almightytora says:

Just for your information: this will not work if your cell phone number is on the “DO NOT CALL” list.