Scott Rolls Out Tube-Free Toilet Paper To Reduce Waste

The toilet paper business is going down the drain — literally. Starting this week, Kimberly-Clark has begun selling Scott Naturals Tube-Free toilet paper that won’t have you throwing out or recycling anything when the roll is finished.

For now, the product is only on sale at Walmart and Sam’s Club, but could expand to other stores is sales are good.

Kimberly-Clark is also considering using the tube-free design on its paper towel brands if the toilet paper test is positive.

From USA Today:

The 17 billion toilet paper tubes produced annually in the USA account for 160 million pounds of trash, according to Kimberly-Clark estimates, and could stretch more than a million miles placed end-to-end. That’s from here to the moon and back — twice. Most consumers toss, rather than recycle, used tubes, says Doug Daniels, brand manager at Kimberly-Clark. “We found a way to bring innovation to a category as mature as bath tissue,” he says.

Kimberly-Clark rolls out tube-free Scott toilet paper [USA Today]

Comments

1. catnapped says:

Lemme guess…they used the shrink ray on the “new improved” rolls and probably raised the prices too?

• evnmorlo says:

Looks like they may have changed them from two-ply to one. Amazon sells 440 sheet two-ply rolls; normally one-ply have more sheets, but these still only give you 440 sheets.

• minjche says:

It’s business. To change a process that is so well established requires an input of money for research and development. I don’t know what price they’re charging but hey, products change. Would you like to use laundry detergent with a formula from 1943?

You as the consumer have the choice to purchase or not purchase the product. If you choose to see every product update as a reason to charge more money, that’s fine. I’ll be busy over here not being so cynical.

2. RoadDogg says:

My dog is going to be majorly bummed when this catches on. She loves taking the empty rolls to play with, she even knows the noise of taking the holder off when I change a roll and comes running to get the tube.

3. NaOH says:

What keeps the roll circular, especially when you’re down to the last dwindling few sheets? You won’t get proper pull as it gets more and more elliptical.

• RoadDogg says:

Paper that is more stiff and glue is my guess.

• SabreDC says:

So now, the last few sheets that are matted with glue will get thrown away or recycled.

• leprechaunshawn says:

Please RTFA

“According to the company, even the last piece of toilet paper on each roll will be usable and won’t have glue on it.”

• RoadDogg says:

The cardboard tube in there today is “usable” to wipe your butt, doesn’t mean it is comfortable. As for the no “glue”, I am sure there are plenty of starch compounds that don’t technically count as glue but become stiff after drying.

• catnapped says:

Well then you throw the old deformed roll away and use a new one, silly!

• redskull says:

citation needed.

• kmw2 says:

Your TP roll holder, most likely. (TP doesn’t really have to be circular to work, as sadly I can attest. Damn cats.)

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Perhaps they press it under a lot of pressure, so the pieces lock together w/the dimples and stay solid until you pull them away?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

actually, the rolls on the kimberly clark tp dispensers in my workplace already use this feature. it’s the giant industrial rolls and we’ve had them for years so obviously it’s been effective in a commercial setting. those rolls stay round just fine.

4. bogartbrown says:

Well, now what am I supposed to use as a megaphone to shout that there’s no toilet paper?

5. Muddie says:

I can’t believe this took this long, but I’m glad it’s here. Kudos to them. I can’t say I’d switch to them for this though — I can only hope that my favorite brands follow this trend.

6. StuffThingsObjects says:

But how will I play Pirate Ship on the toilet now?

7. Alvis says:

But what will the hamsters play in?

8. SG-Cleve says:

My gerbil loves to play in the tubes, then chew them up.

9. jeanniez says:

My daughter’s hamster will be sad.

10. bonzombiekitty says:

WON’T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE GRADE SCHOOL ART TEACHERS?!!!!

11. Graymalkin56 says:

All those cardboard tubes are being sold in bulk to Petco and PetsMART, which will re-sell them to hamster and gerbil owners for $3.95 per pack of six.

12. Blueskylaw says:

How much more will this “convenience” cost us?

13. wrbwrx says:

finally, something that i can get behind.

14. jonroknrol says:

It’s a great time to be alive.

15. ThyGoddess says:

Of COURSE, since they removed something, the product will be cheaper than the ones with tubes, eh?

It’s just LOGICAL, right?

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

To be fair, they may have had to change the manufacturing process to get this to work (different spinners, adjustments to spin the paper looser/tighter). In that case, it would make sense that the costs of those changes would be passed on in the product price.

16. MonkeyMonk says:

Too bad that Scott (Naturals or not) feels somewhere in-between newspaper and sandpaper. I’m a recent convert to Charmin plus lotion and if it wasn’t so hard to find I wouldn’t use anything else.

• Bativac says:

Oh man, I have only used Charmin with Aloe for the past five or six years. I’ll go cheap on things like food or tires for my wife’s car (there’s “safe” and there’s “safe enough”) but when it comes to toilet paper, it’s gotta be top-of-the-line.

• dolemite says:

Sorry, you’ll never get me to give up my Scott. Pull it off, crumple it up, and use it. The key is the crumple.

Before I got married, a 4 pack of Scott regular would last me like 3 months. She requires the “soft” scott though, and she is female so…a 4 pack now lasts us about 2 weeks.

• kalaratri says:

Regular Scott on delicate female bits = ow. Not to mention it doesn’t do a great job on messes created 13 weeks out of the year.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I like Target’s Up & Up brand. I’m not loyal to a specific name brand but Up & Up is consistently the cheapest and best for the price.

• lihtox says:

I much prefer the 1-ply: more control. 2-ply is like wiping yourself with a pillow: it might be more comfortable, but takes forever to get clean.

(And having left you with that image, I bid a hasty adieu.)

• NYGuy1976 says:

Some people live in rural areas and have septic tanks. Charmin is great but wreaks havoc on septic tanks. Scott is one of the few brands that have septic safe printed on the package.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

I’d also like to point out that Scott has more sheets per roll than almost any other brand. And if you have super tender tender parts, well ok. Go for the scented ultra soft quilted and guaranteed not to stick to you stuff that usually cost approx $1 a roll. (check that per sheet price! it’s outraegeous)

No thanks, I’ll stay with Scott. I’m not so tender that I can’t stand it.

• daemonaquila says:

Please, have all of my share! I loathe Charmin and similarly “soft” (a/k/a falls apart with a glance) toilet paper. It’s hard to find brands that either aren’t Charmin, or aren’t trying to copy Charmin, around here!

• Griking says:

Lotion in our toilet paper.

This is an example of why the rest of the world hates us.

17. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

The industrial tp rolls are wound right down to the center because they don’t have a tube to fit over. My question is – is the gap in the middle the same size as a normal tp tube? Because most rolls are larger than the piece they fit over. They could save space and offer MORE product (but of course they wont) if they made that gap slightly smaller – not to mention it would offer less of a crushing hazard.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

What, and put the toilet paper roll holder industry in a downward spiral to doom?
      Would you send those jobs offshore too?
      You toilet paper party people are all the same, you never think of the consequences of your campaign promises.

18. Serenefengshui says:

But…what will I give my mice to play with?

19. lettucefactory says:

Great idea. I hope it sells well so I can get it somewhere other than Wal-Mart or Sam’s Club. I have Target and BJ’s about 2 miles away from where I live, so that’s where I shop; I’m not driving 20 minutes to buy more environmentally-friendly TP.

• JoeDawson says:

I wish i had BJ’s 2 miles from where I live… its a pain to get to my GF’s house.

*Rimshot*

Disemvowelment FTW?

20. smartmuffin says:

And how much more are they going to charge us for removing a feature?

• Muddie says:

I can honestly say I’ve never heard anyone call the tube in the center of toilet paper a “feature”. Are you a hamster?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

As other comments can attest, apparently cats, dogs, mice, and even humans also enjoy playing with toilet paper tubes! I save mine for the furry citizen who enjoys tossing them into the air and ricocheting them off the walls.

21. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Toilet paper purchasers are price sensitive. I can’t find a price for “Scott Naturals Tube-Free” but regular “Scott Naturals” is $2.68 for a 4 roll at Walmart – not cheap.

A user comment on the SamsClub site:
    “I purchased this for our shop. The guys can not wait for this to run out. Without the tube – it tears off one sheet at a time – will not spin.”

At least it’s not as noisy as a SunChips bag.

22. BeastMasterJ says:

With all the cynics on Consumerist, I’m surprised no one mentioned that K.C. is saving themselves the cost of carboard tubes, and spinning it as eco-friendly.

It’s also only being sold at Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club, so I’m guessing that they had some pressure to shave a few more cents off their products or lose shelf space. But that’s just speculation.

• BeastMasterJ says:

Oh, wait, between the time I read the comments and posted this, a few people have brought this up, actually.

• minjche says:

There’s no spin. It is more eco-friendly and it also will likely save the company material costs.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

23. Hungry Dog says:

SCIENCE!!!!

24. HammRadio says:

I have a feeling that there will be a ton of arts and craft school projects ruined by this. I suspect Michael’s is hoarding empty rolls as we speak.

25. ellmar says:

I’d just like them to stop with the “12 MEGA = 34″ unhelpful size comparison crap (pardon the pun.) Just put the actual size information in a font we can read instead of comparing this package to previous packages that they don’t actually sell anymore.

26. Jimmy60 says:

I’m using three seashells myself.

27. ginnel says:

Another way Walmart forces changes on us. Years ago I contacted a company when they first started wrapping everything in the hard plastic casings that you practically could not open safely. They said they didn’t like it either but Walmart demanded it. And since they were their largest customer they obliged and made everyone accept it. So even if we refuse to shop Walmart they are still able to affect our purchases.

28. CBenji says:

Hmm, I like the Scott soft, but not regular Scott which is all Sam’s Club has. If you can’t put the roll holder inside it I can’t really see how this would be a good thing for me at least. I will stick with their Scott Extra Soft.

29. redskull says:

Now what will I look through to make it look like there’s a hole in my hand?

30. vaguelyobscene says:

We have had these for awhile at my work. As the paper runs out, it becomes crinkly but still perfectly usable. A lot of guests have commented they like the idea, and it is saving waste. Confused the heck out of us for awhile, but now we’re fans!

31. nova3930 says:

Gimme a call when they invent the TP that will automatically replace the empty on the dispenser to counteract my lazy wife…

• UnicornMaster says:

i know right? I mean the ladies are already sitting there. They know the paper is either out or about to run out. How hard is it to put the roll on the roller? My gf leaves it on the counter… really? it takes literally 3 seconds.

32. Nessiah says:

I know what I’m splurging on tonight….a mixture of Mexican food and the product from OP’s post.

33. Xtopher says:

Still waiting for someone to invent the three shells so we can do away with TP forever.

34. Floppywesl says:

WTH am i supposed to use for my gerbils now???

35. TooManyHobbies says:

Great, now what will I use to start my plants in? Bog paper rolls are nice biodegradable plant starters.

36. Mcshonky says:

What about the children?

How will public school arts and crafts classes survive???????????????????????

37. KyBash says:

It had to happen!

When tp was first marketed in rolls, it didn’t have a center tube.

Adding the tube was a feature (and more expensive).

Now removing the tube is a feature (and more expensive).

It’s just like gasoline — when they first started adding lead, the price went up, and when they began leaving it out, the price went up.

38. zenhead says:

great idea. now if only they’d follow Marcal’s lead and product TP from 100% recycled fiber. these “naturals” are only 40% recycled. so, yeah, no cardboard, great. but you’re still flushing (pardon the expression) virgin paper down the toilet.

39. sgtyukon says:

It’s got to cost more for the extra step in manufacturing: first make the rolls as usual and second, remove the cardboard tubes.

Plus, what will little kids use to pretend they have musical instruments, once there are no more doot doots?

40. chocolate1234 says:

Genius. I love this!

41. TBGBoodler says:

I’ve always thought this would be a great idea. But the problem with the toilet paper shrink ray nowadays is that rolls are shrinking in width.

This is not a problem on a traditional rod-type holder. But one of the holders in our house doesn’t have a rod… the roll is held on by tension holders and the roll is now too narrow to stay on. I’d say TP rolls are a good inch at least shorter in width now–if not more.

42. jesirose says:

Won’t somebody think of the children/hamsters/mice/dogs?

Seriously guys does anyone read the comments before posting?

I like this, because my dogs like to destroy the rolls and it’s a PITA to pick up the paper. And the sound makes me cringe. I would buy this TP, but I like the Charmin with the aloe.

43. gonzo5680 says:

I used to work in a TP factory, each roll starts out as a long tube of toilet paper that is cut into the rolls, at each end there would be remainder rolls with no tube and kinda mashed up. They would sell them to prisons.

44. Duckula22 says:

…and the last 3 to 5 feet of butt paper end up on the floor every time.

45. sopmodm14 says:

its a small change, but will have a BIG impact

i usually just flatten it and recycle it along with cardboard

46. Talisker says:

They should make the tubes out of delicious pirouette cookies so you can eat them when the roll is empty.

Mmmmm… toilet paper cookie

47. UnicornMaster says:

this only works because their TP already feels like cardboard…

48. Billy says:

It’s weird how even toilet paper culture is different from country to country. The tp is saw in China (and I assume this is the same in other countries as well), toilet paper rolls have no tubes at all AND have no gap to thread over a holder either. It’s just a solid roll.

49. Sarcastico says:

Ehh? When you get to the end of the roll, just use the empty tube. Works just like corn cobs only you don’t get those little nubs of corn stuck anywhere.

50. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

New softer core is highly rated by the male 15-25 demographic.

51. kennedar says:

We will switch to this from the Kirkland that we have been buying. I like Scott anyways so this is just an added reason to change! Hopefully they start to carry it at Costco.

52. thelauhingsun says:

What is this? C’mon, Scott, think of the gerbils! What will they chew now?

53. suburbancowboy says:

I’ve seen rolls of toilet paper that have no hole in the center. They are paper all the way to the middle, but just before the center, the paper gets progressively narrower forming two inverted cones, which enable it to be held in place by the holder.

54. nocturnaljames says:

Interesting. Too bad this sort of waste wasn’t a problem that needed fixing. Cardboard is easily recyclable and biodegradable. On the other hand there are 1000’s of disposable plastic products which aren’t.

It’s good business as people will buy it thinking they are do-gooders. Toilet paper is always 100% waste.

55. massageon says:

But my kid LOVES that toilet paper tube. He pretends it’s a telescope or a mega-phone! The possibilites are endless.

Also, I know of a non-profit that uses those toilet paper tubes to make nifty fire starters for your fireplace or camping fire. This could be a huge dis-service to them…