I Do Not Appreciate Your Drug-Pushing Calls, CVS

Josh used to get his prescriptions at CVS. He stopped when the company kept calling him, pushing more drugs, and refused to stop calling no matter who he asked. CVS seems to believe that they can annoy customers into purchasing more drugs.

On my girlfriend’s request, she had mentioned that you might be able to help get the word out on my latest CVS experience. I use their pharmacy for my prescriptions. They keep calling me every month to see if I need to buy more drugs and if I don’t, they keep pressuring me to buy them. I have contacted my local pharmacy and CVS corporate multiple times to get off their phone list but it keeps happening! I find these phone calls very offensive and intrusive. If one does not want their calls, they should be able to opt out easily. I feel that CVS is a drug pusher! I understand the need to remind people of their prescriptions but when one politely requests that they be deleted from their phone list, they should comply.

I have just changed pharmacies in hopes of finding one that respects a person’s privacy.

Have any other readers experienced the same drug-pushing calls as Josh?

Comments

1. vastrightwing says:

I’ve done this with all the charities I used to donate to. Once I donated to them, their telemarketing machine went into high gear and annoyed me until I pulled the plug completely. Now I don’t donate to anyone because I know that once I do, I’ll be called, emailed and direct marketed to until I’m completely annoyed again.

Sure, they’ll lie to me and say, “no we promise not to call you.” A lie. They call you almost immediately once you’ve given money.

Are all charities like this? No, but I don’t have time to figure out who won’t bother me. In any case, I’ve solved my problem now.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I donated to Doctors Without Borders every so often, and without fail, every few months I get an envelope with a newsletter and photographs of sad African children. Now that we’re getting closer to the holidays, it’s just going to get worse. I’ve tried to get them to stop, but the packets just keep coming!

And even if you get the one charity to take you off its list, it doesn’t mean that list hasn’t already been sold and other charities are waiting in the wings to spam you incessantly.

• MrEvil says:

Moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished. That’s why if you’re going to donate to a charity donate Anonymously or donate your time. If you donate money and they know who you are they’re going to put you on the short-list of people to pester. If you’re just donating time then they probably won’t harass you since they may not be hard-up for help.

• tbax929 says:

My friend one year decided to give gifts to charity in her friends’ names for Christmas. It was kind of like Costanza’s The Human Fund, but a real charity. They’ve been bugging me for more money ever since. Some gift.

• cmdr.sass says:

And whatever you do – don’t donate blood. The Red Cross is like a psycho ex-girlfriend calling over and over and over again to get you to come back.

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

+1 My wife has a rare type and they are after her like gangbusters. She offered to donate, in order to help her mother, who was going through surgery. Then they wouldn’t stop. After her mom died, she said that she didn’t want to be bothered because she was still grieving… and taking medication. They said, “Oh well, that’s ok. You can still donate.” They weren’t getting the hint. I got on the phone after one of their daily calls and explained that she did not want to receive anymore calls. So, they asked me if I wanted to donate. I told them to stop it.

Every so often, I see a missed call from them on our phone.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I donated to a local blood bank and never had any trouble with spam, calls, etc. That might be worth looking into.

Ours was Community Blood Center. I haven’t done it in a while because I got a tattoo, and then they changed their hours and it’s massively impossible unless I take time off from work.

• kalaratri says:

We told them if they ever called our house again we would never give blood again. The calls stopped for at least a few months.
        In our case, we were donating platelets, which required us to drive an hour to Rochester to the whoopdie donation center and by the time we went through the re-screening, waiting for an open machine and actually did the donation, 2-3 more hours went by. In the end we just had to tell them no more.

• UltimateOutsider says:

“Are all charities like this? No, but I don’t have time to figure out who won’t bother me.”

Actually, I think the answer’s “Yes.” And not only that, but they apparently sell your name to every other charity on the planet, because if you give to one, suddenly your mailbox is full of requests from everyone else. We gave to a local charity called Mercy Mission who was sending people to Haiti after the earthquake. Not only did we start getting RL spam from them, but they spammed my email as well, literally every other day.

I now limit our charitable donations to my company’s United Way program. They match my contribution and gave me the option of giving my funds anonymously. That’s apparently the only way to do it without becoming a bulls-eye for every other charity under the sun.

• daemonaquila says:

United Way? Oh, HELL no. They’re charlatans that take a cut for giving your money to other charities. They also are the worst of the worst for marketing, especially when they con a corporation into being a “partner” and forcing their staff to attend mandatory United Way meetings, shaming them into giving parts of their checks every week, having special United Way donor perks like donor-only casual Fridays, etc. I will never, ever give one dime to these crooks. I give to great charities that do NOT abuse having my info. There are tons of them out there. They’re just not the media-whore charities like the ones who jumped on the Haiti bandwagon, Save the Children, etc.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

try small local charities with no staff for this stuff. the one i volunteer with might fill your facebook feed with pictures of adoptable kittens but we don’t have time to call anyone. we all also have day jobs and better things to do. and yes, there are small local charities who provide valid receipts for tax deductions.

• ArtlessDodger says:

Not all charities are like that. You just need to read the information when you donate or provide other information. Some of them have very strict policies about exchanging or renting their names.

• Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

What about donating anonymously? Sure, you probably won’t get the tax benefit, but is that really why you’re donating?

• lchen says:

None of the charities I donate to ever call me, but I do get tons of mail. I donate online exclusively, and I might not have given most of them my number

• anduin says:

We’ve had the same experience in my household, we’ve donated to a lot of charities and spent time to help organize events for certain ones but then they started calling us every 2 weeks to see if we wanted to give more.

2. duxup says:

I’ve never had anyone call me, but I recall years ago Walgreens made a deal with drug companies and they would send a letters in their customer’s doctor’s name suggesting alternate drugs that were a better deal for the drug company and Walgreens to sell.

3. andyg8180 says:

should check to see if your doctor added refills to the prescription… If not, that’s definitely intrusive and i wouldn’t be too happy about that…

the problem is, some of the older folks need to be reminded to get new prescriptions, and i get that, but youre absolutely right, if youre an able minded person and would like to be removed from the list, it should not be an issue…

I wonder if this falls under the Do Not Call list laws…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

No, it does not violate DNC registries because the store currently has or previously had a business relationship with you. You can request the business stop calling, but it doesn’t violate the DNC.

• shanoaravendare says:

Actually, if you have requested that they stop calling (even if you have a business relationship with them) and they do not it still falls under Do Not Call. I just had to look that up the other day for a friend.

• ecwis says:

Yep! If the company keeps calling, file a complaint with the Attorney General. My AG takes the complaints seriously.

4. james says:

I see that CVS has improved slightly. :)

Calling is not as bad as auto-refilling.
    This was from August:

• ellemdee says:

I’ve had this problem with KMart before. I never signed up for it, but they did it anyway. I told them to never autofill my scripts again and had them actually put the script back in the system just on principle. You can guess what happened the next month. They were surly anyway and I only tried them out because I had a coupon. I’d never go there again.

5. Scrutinizer says:

I sent a nice letter to a company that couldn’t figure out how to take me off their calling list. I said that I would charge them $200 for each call they made to my phone after a certain date. I said that if they refused to pay I would take them to small claims court.

Would this work in court, I have no idea but it stop the calls.

• edman007 says:

No, I don’t think you can do it quite like that, but once you tell them to stop you just take them to court, once you ask them to stop calling you it is better than being on the do not call list, they can’t call you, it does not matter if you have done buisness with them or are not on the do no call list. If they call you it is $16,000, not $200 that they get fined, and you can take them to court as well. But it only applies if the person calling is for profit.

• PLATTWORX says:

If you have a prior business relationship with a company, they CAN call reguardless of request. That is except from the do not call list just like charity calls.

NO, you can not simply dictate that you will be charging them $200 a call. In fact, while you may have right to be annoyed, a letter like that would come off as something from a nutcase and be put in a shredder where I have worked.

• peebozi says:

I’ve done this with “spammers”…not the obvious ones, but the ones who get my company’s email and are a legitimate business…one or two emails, fine. when it get to be weekly i send them my fees. it does a great job of stopping them.

6. oldwiz65 says:

I get lots of prescriptions from CVS and the only time they call me is if I order a prescription and then forget to pick it up for a few days; then they call and say “your prescription is ready for pickup”.

• SecretAgentWoman says:

Same here, been a CVS customer for years and they’ve never bothered me except for refills I hadn’t picked up yet (and yes, I ordered them).

• Michaela says:

Same thing. This is the first time I have heard of this happening.

• somedaysomehow says:

Yep, me too. Customer for years… never a problem. I actually wish they WOULD call me when I needed to refill something… speaking of which, I need to go phone in a refill… LOL.

7. outoftheblew says:

We get calls each month from CVS letting us know my husband’s prescription is ready for pick-up (something he’ll be taking daily for the rest of his life, but he can only get it a month at a time). Once when his dosage changed, they called to say it was ready, but it was at the old dosage. We gave them the new prescription, they put the old dosage refill back and gave him the new dosage, no problems at all. It’s an automated call, so I’m not sure if they have different recordings, but the one we get is never pushy and just says his refill is ready to be picked up.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Target does this as well. The calls are automated, and to my knowledge, only repeat if you miss the call.

8. DAK says:

I occasionally get automated calls from CVS saying that I or my wife is due for a refill on a particular prescription. It’s annoying as hell.

Seems to me there’s also a potential privacy issue. We still keep a landline specifically to have a separate number for stuff like this. If others do the same, and it’s a shared line/mail box, you don’t necessarily want anyone that might pick up the message knowing what prescription you filled at CVS a month prior.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why do you keep a landline just for something like this? Wouldn’t a cell phone also be yours and yours alone? If you need reminders, why not just have the CVS call your individual cell phones and then you don’t need to be reminded of your wife’s prescriptions and she doesn’t have to get reminders for yours.

• Murph1908 says:

My guess is, it’s nice having your cell phone ring only when it’s someone you want to talk to.

Let all the businesses call your land line. Save your cell phone for your friends and family. That’s what I do.

• Elginista says:

Yep, this is my philosophy exactly. Businesses get the landline number, friends and family have my cell phone number.

• DAK says:

Exactly. Landline is for telemarketers, businesses, etc.

And I have had at least 1 automated call that mentioned a prescription by name.

• jlking says:

The recordings never mention the medication. That would be against the laws and violate HIPPA. The recordings don’t even mention the person’s name, only if they call in person do they do that. All it says is that they’re “reminding you there is a prescription ready for pickup.” There is no privacy issue there.

• FangDoc says:

I went off my allergy prescriptions when I found out I was pregnant. The first time I got one of CVS’s “you should refill your prescription” calls, I called my local branch and explained, and they assured me they had fixed my file in the computer so I wouldn’t get any more of the automated calls.

That was March. The baby’s due in 2 1/2 weeks. I think the calls finally stopped last month.

9. bradmalone says:

They have us on both autofill for some scrips and calling for others. My wife is a type 1 diabetic with complications so we get on average 7-10 calls a week for scrips to pick up, scrips to fill and other assorted reasons. When do they not call? When there is a problem with the prescription. That we don’t find out until we show up.

10. ElleAnn says:

This post makes me wonder if pharmacies have any legal obligation to attempt to remind people to refill prescriptions for chronic or contagious conditions. Do they have any liability if a patient failed to refill their diabetes or tuberculosis medication and died or spread infection to others?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t think the pharmacy is liable because medications change and refills run out. People sometimes get their prescriptions renewed and switch pharmacies and don’t usually tell the old one. Target offers a $5 gift card for new prescriptions, so some people take advantage of that and switch pharmacies when their renewal is up.

I think if anyone aside from the patient is liable, it might be the doctor’s office because the doctor’s office is the entity that is prescribing medication, encouraging checkups, etc.

• outoftheblew says:

I’m going to say no, they don’t have that liability. Because that’s putting them in the role of your primary doctor, whose job it is to monitor your health. The pharmacy wouldn’t know if your treatment has changed or your condition has changed or there are other factors that would require changes in medications unless they get those prescriptions from your doctor. Their only role is to provide you with medication your doctor believes you should take. For them the way you’re wondering about, it would stand to reason that they’d also need to know about all the medications you’re taking from all pharmacies, as well as your medical history to know if you *should* be continuing the medication you’ve been prescribed. And that seems more prone to error than them just ignoring it altogether and merely filling your prescription (hopefully accurately).

• peebozi says:

HEADLINE: “BP Oil leaking millions of gallons of oil directly into the gulf”

ElleAnn: “This makes me wonder if BP should have been leaking oil into the gulf all along?”

11. tbax929 says:

I use mail order for my prescriptions. First of all, it’s cheaper. Secondly, all of mine are scripts I need to take regularly for an extended period of time (forever). Anyway, when I used Walgreen’s mail order, they drove me crazy with their calls pushing me to do refills (way before I needed them). Now I have Medco through work, and they haven’t bothered me at all. At least not yet!

12. Shtetl G says:

I work at an independent pharmacy. We have a refill reminder program. It is completely voluntary, can be stopped any time, and is only for maintenance drugs. Perhaps the OP should think about switching to a local independent pharmacy. They accept most insurance plans. The wait time is 15 minutes instead of 4 hours. People at consumerist are always pushing credit unions instead of big corporate banks. How about trying a local business for your pharmacy too.

/end of shilling.

• jlking says:

Independent Pharmacies are great for customer service, but they don’t have access to the same resources that large chain pharmacies do. Every time you fill a prescription at a chain pharmacy its checking tons of information to make sure there are no interactions or issued to worry about. At a local independent pharmacy you’re relying solely on the pharmacists brain to be paying attention 110% and remember every single drug and every possible interaction,

• Shtetl G says:

You are wrong. We have a computerized system that checks drug interactions and prints out information on the medication you are taking for your convenience (same system as a chain too). Plus we also have a pharmacist who knows your name and probably coaches your sons little league. We have access to the same wholesalers that the chains use so we can get the same medication. What we don’t have is a big section of our store dedicated to selling “as seen on TV” products and million square feet of over the counter space. To make up for the lack of OTC products we sell we focus on customer service. You are much more likely to find medication error at a chain pharmacy with some poor schlep pharmacist right out of school working his third straight 12 hour shift with one pharmacy tech helping him out than at an independent pharmacy.

/rant off.

• lisaann79 says:

I work at a chain pharmacy and we do about 2000 rx’s per week. We know most of our patients by name and they know and trust us. One of the pharmacists at my store even coached little league when his son played.

• mdoneil says:

Nonsense, the local pharmacy has access to the same Micromedex and Prescription Interaction databases the chain pharmacies have.

Pharmacist owned pharmacies are building blocks of the community and should be considered a trusted memeber of your healthcare team.

Did you know that many of the pharmacists at chains are not employees but contractors. While they are I am sure competent I like to see my friendly neighborhood pharmacist rather than whomever was free on Tuesday.

• Bsamm09 says:

I second this. Every major pharm in my city charges roughly the same for price for my script. I have a HSA and pay out of pocket. Called every pharm in the city. most were ~100/mo but this one was 38.99. I Love having a HDHP w/ an HSA. I pay out of pocket so I negotiate with my doctors. I pay less than most people’s co-pay for an office visit. I use my HSA as another retirement account.

Biggest plus – no coinsurance on operations. After my $1500 deductible, which office visits and Rx’s count toward, I pay nothing. On an PPO I had I had to pay 20% co insurance on my knee surgery.

• peebozi says:

i like to support the little guy so i only use our local drug store.

i also don’t want my choices to be limited to what manufacturers/vendors cvs & walgreen’s (soon to be only one left) has the best kick back deal with.

the last point is geared more towards local hardware store vs. home depot/lowes but still has relevance in the pharmaceutical field.

13. Me - now with more humidity says:

I appreciate the automated reminder calls when my auto-refills are ready. It’s one less thing I need to keep top of mind. But no one calls trying to sell me more drugs.

Sounds to me like someone is wound a little too tight this morning, if the feel an automated reminder call is “pressuring.”

14. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Unless this pharmacy gives out prescription drugs without a prescription, I really don’t see how they can annoy you to buy more drugs than you have been prescribed. If listening to a 2 minute sales pitch gets some prescription free Adderrall, then all I have to say is that my number is 908-912-GESD!

15. opticnrv says:

In my opinion, if you are doing business with anyone who does not respect your preferred method of communication (or non-communication for that matter), it’s time to terminate the relationship. This is an early sign that somewhere down the track you will be dissatisfied with the relationship. Progress at your own risk.

That being said, I, too, occasionally receive ‘drug pushing’ phone messages from CVS (maybe once a month). Since I never answer calls from numbers that aren’t in my phone directory. They are a minor annoyance when I encounter them while listening to my messages. I consider them occasional spam, and delete them as soon as I hear the identity of the call.

16. jlking says:

They’re not drug pushing. They don’t ask you to get new drugs, they remind you of prescriptions you have filled waiting to be picked up. And they remind you if you have refills on monthly *maintenance* medications only.

The whole point is drug-therapy compliance. The doctor prescribed the medication for a reason, and in many cases if you don’t finish the course of therapy or if you simply stop taking the medication without tapering properly it can do harm. If you’re taking a medication that requires a prescription its because it needs to be monitored closely. Otherwise you would be able to purchase it over the counter.

I agree there are many things you could complain about in regards to CVS. I have a list myself. But this is one of the things I think they’re doing right. People look at their doctors and pharmacists as annoying people they have to go through to get what they want. When they should be looking at them as healthcare professionals who they should respect and listen to.

17. Andnowlights says:

Rite Aid has done this once with me. It was confusing, and I didn’t like it AT ALL. Weirdly, it’s only happened once so I didn’t pursue it any further.

18. JMarie says:

I just get voicemails reminding me that my drugs are ready. It is far better than having to call it in.

19. aloria says:

Sounds like something tied to refills or something that’s specific to this store. I get my prescriptions at CVS and have only had them call me when I’ve forgotten to pick something up. However, I get a lot of one time prescriptions (e.g. antibiotics) and drugs that can’t get refills (e.g. schedule 2 drugs.)

20. PLATTWORX says:

I have used CVS for years for prescriptions. Other than an occasional automated phone call to let me know a prescription is ready, I have NEVER had a single call or e-mail from them to get me to “buy more drugs” (you mean refill a prescription since you can’t “buy more drugs” you don’t have a prescription for?)

Sounds to me as if the OP doesn’t have all facts in order here and feel it is a bit of an overstatement to say “CVS seems to believe that they can annoy customers into purchasing more drugs.” because one person writes into this site with a rare and odd issue with one pharmacy.

21. Aennan says:

CVS runs it’s own Rx insurance company, Caremark.

If you think this story is fun, try not refilling a prescription 30 days to the date of the first. Caremark will inundate you with letters, reminders, telephone calls, etc.; and they all remind you that if you’re having trouble getting it filled, just go to your local CVS.

• Shtetl G says:

Caremark is a PBM, a Prescription Benefit Management company. They are middle men who handle prescription adjudication for insurance companies. They are not an insurance company. The fact that CVS owns its own PBM means they are able to cut sweat heart deals for their own stores and steer customers to their pharmacy. I believe this is anti-competition, monopolistic, and illegal. Our pharmacy is legally trying to fight this. It is an uphill battle. Support you local pharmacy.

22. spugbrap says:

I’ve been using CVS pharmacy for years, and the only phone calls I get from them are automated refill reminders, and even those are only for medications that I specifically opted in to auto-refill. The first time I got one of these calls, I asked which CVS they are calling from, since I frequent several local stores. They told me Chicago, which is somewhere I’ve never been and which is nowhere near my home (or even my state).

Legit auto-refill calls from my local CVS stores actually say “CVS Pharmacy” or something in the caller ID, and the number listed is the same pharmacy phone number that’s on my prescription bottles.

I also occasionally get shady calls from people who SAY they are from CVS pharmacy (or “US Pharmacy”, or some other fake company name), but then they proceed to offer me controlled substances with no prescription needed. For a while, I used to just say “No thanks, I’m not interested in your scam.” and hang up before they could respond.

Lately I’ve started pressing them to explicitly admit that they are trying to sell me controlled substances without a prescription. They hum and haw and don’t know how to respond. If they still persist, like repeating their initial offer, I clearly explain that I believe they are either trying to sell me drugs illegally, or trying to scam me for money, and that I’m not interested in either of those possibilities. Then I hang up.

Every time, the calls come from different phone numbers, with different voices, and they are not automated calls. Not that it necessarily matters, but they always have foreign accents and they have difficulty understanding what I say to them.

23. thewildboo says:

Yes. I briefly switched from Target to CVS last year because it was closer to my home. It was awful. Not only was the customer service terrible, but after I transferred my rxs back to Target (where they have great service btw), CVS kept refilling them anyway (even though I had processed the transfer through them). Insurance would then deny Target when they tried to fill them for me, and I’d have to call CVS and make them “unfill” them first. It took several calls over a couple of months to finally get them to delete me from their system.

24. ArtlessDodger says:

Every time I’ve used a local pharmacy I’ve been happy. Unfortunately the one I used to use closed down a few years ago (I think they were priced/forced out of the market by the “big guys”) and I haven’t been able to find a replacement. Good luck to you and your business.

25. daemonaquila says:

Hearing this, I’m glad that CVS failed me on a different level – I tried twice to fill prescriptions for some fairly common eye meds at CVS stores, and both times they didn’t have them but would be happy to get them for me in about a day. (I needed them immediately, thanks to a recurrent eye condition that’s rather an emergency. Funny, Walgreens and other major pharmacies always have them…) The extra trip was apparently well worth the lack of phone calls later.

26. doctor.mike says:

I called the machine to order refills late one night, and the damned auto machine called me the second day, at 8 am to wake me up! I complained to the pharmacy clerk, and he said it is corporate. He was sympathetic but powerless.

I would stop using them, but the location is excellent and they have a very good plan of some generic meds 90-day supply for $9.99. I know some other places are cheaper, but I can walk to this place while doing other things.

27. Beeker26 says:

CVS starting doing this to me as well, calling me early on Saturday or Sunday no less. But when I politely asked them to stop, letting them know I was more than capable of requesting refills when I needed them, they stopped.

28. Rachacha says:

Heck yeah.

My wife has several medications that she regularly takes, and somehow, the medications have gotten out of sync on their refil schedule. My wife worked for several months, requesting a refill for one medication as early as possible so it would be accepted by insurance, and order in another at the very last second possible to try to get them all on the same refill schedule so we could make 1 single trip to the drug store and pick up all of our “regular” medications. CVS keeps screwing it up by auto refilling the perscriptions, even though we have requested that they not auto refill. This of course is designed to make it extremely difficult to transfer perscriptions to other pharmacies (if they have refilled it, you can’t immediately request a refill at another pharmacy. It has encouraged us to stop shopping at CVS and transfer our perscriptions to another pharmacy.

29. dush says:

As soon as they call just tell them you are recording it.

30. DrRamblings says:

they pulled the same BS on me. I got robo-calls early on fri, sat, and sun mornings. not only did they wake me up each time, but they would cut out before I could get the unsubscribe #. I tried calling my local store on the sunday, and they were closed! I called the district manager and she said that I signed up for the” service” I asked her for proof that I opted in and she didn’t have an answer. evidently the employees need to call if people don’t opt in…I can guess who” signed me up”. the store was in downtown kansas city. aavoid them like the plague.

31. sopmodm14 says:

well, medications are still drugs and are worth more to big pharma…they figure if they’re gonna kill you, they better get their money’s worth while you’re alive

spend the money on a gym membership with the services of a personal trainer and your only side effect is looking good or feeling good

32. bluline says:

Just hang up. Or, if you have caller ID, don’t bother answering in the first place. It’s a lot easier than trying to fight through their layers of corporate BS.

33. mdoneil says:

So tell them your phone number changed to some CVS in Cleveland. Let them call one another.

34. scoosdad says:

Oh yeah, CVS refused multiple pleas to stop calling me to remind me it was time to refill my expired, never to be refilled prescriptions, so I took revenge.

My phone provider (a VOIP service) allows you to set a number to forward specific incoming calls to, depending on the caller ID of the incoming call. So now, calls from CVS get rerouted right back to CVS. Anyone from the local pharmacy unlucky enough to get the assignment to make these calls ends up calling someone in the same pharmacy and being very confused about it. I know it works because I noticed on my prescription receipt one day, “we need an updated home phone number– please contact our pharmacy staff to provide it”.

But if I’m expecting a callback from them for a real issue I need to hear from them about, I can easily suspend it.

Two different phone numbers I was given by the pharmacy to opt-out of the refill reminder service:

866-514-4965 (automated opt-out)
    888-470-5534 (a live person at their HQ in RI)

35. Emily says:

Not to mention that the CVS robocall I got came at 8 a.m. Pacific Time… on a Saturday. Getting myself removed from the list took two phone calls, one to the local pharmacy and one to corporate (which wasn’t open on a Saturday — irony). We’ll see if it sticks.

36. lisaann79 says:

I work for CVS and there are still quite a few Caremark plans that will not allow us to fill a 90 day rx at our store. We also have instances where we will fill an rx a few times for a patient and then on the 3rd or 4th time, Caremark will tell us, sorry, not this time, they have to do mail order. In a lot of these instances the patient has no idea that they even have the mail order option so we’ll call Caremark for an override and guess what, they don’t give it to us. They don’t give the override to CVS. Also, if a patient is still waiting on their mail order, Caremark seems to be the hardest company to convince to give us a mail order override.

37. Dr.Wang says:

I have a pre-paid cell account on T-mobile. The minutes expire after one year. On that account I had them shut off incoming texts and also shut off voice mail. I have the ringer shut off. I give this number to anyone that wants it. They can call and call all day. My phone never rings and they can’t leave voice mail. And if I want to check the phone once a day I can see who called, that’s almost as good as a message. If the store is dumb enough to say they tried to call me I tell them they have my junk line because they abused the right to have my actual phone number so they get the junk phone line along with all the charities and telemarketers.

38. jgonzz says:

I have a 24 hr CVS by my apt so I get my prescriptions here. I was surprised by the ‘robo call’ telling me that my ‘prescription was filled’. The people at the pharmacy told me that it was ‘automatic’. When I see ‘CVS’ on my phone and just let it go to voice mail. Actually, If you don’t pick up the automatic refill after a few days, they will scuttle it.

39. peebozi says:

please check the agreement you signed when giving them your phone number. there is a clause in there allowing them to call you and allowing them to change the terms of the agreement at any time and for any reason.

I blame the corporation-hating OP for attempting to limit the profits the corporation is seeking from him!

40. thaJack says:

Just got one last week… and the week before that, and the week before that.

41. themountainlioness says:

I work as a pharmacy technician for CVS and I absolutely HATE making these phone calls. Unfortunately, I have to, because I need to eat and pay the bills….

Some people, like older people who forget to take their medicine, like these calls, but for the most part they just annoy people. I completely agree. I even get these phone calls and I WORK there! However, whenever someone tells me they do not want to get these calls I put a note in their profile and take out their phone number, and tell them to call corporate as an extra measure. CVS doesn’t care about anything but making money, and they certainly don’t care about their employees!