FiOS Is Fast Except When You Can't Upload Anything

Matt hasn’t been able to upload anything for 10 days now which is a bit of a problem when you have a home business built around uploading stuff for clients.

He’s called, had a tech visit, and escalated, and now, is resorting to emailing Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg (and emailing Consumerist):

Dear Mr. Seidenberg,

I understand that your (and your team’s) time is valuable, and that you most likely only get emails from extremely frustrated customers who like myself at the moment are at wits end, but I feel I need to share this story with you. I will detail it below, but to give you a quick summary: it has been ten days since I’ve been able to do my job here at my home office running over Verizon Fios. I have 5 static IP addresses with you, which have run flawlessly for the 3 years since installed. None of these addresses will allow uploads any longer. My business still resides in my home because I’m a bit of a workaholic, and the technology fios provides has made that a possibility – there is a large server rack in my basement which is normally providing MY clients with antivirus updates, backup files, patches, and everything I promised I’d do for them remotely, which is frankly something I’ve been unable to do for a minimum of 10 days.

I’ve tried to detail this as much as possible, because not only has this situation kept me from my friends and family, it’s doing the same with your field technicians who have been ignored just as much as I have. It’s not right, and I can’t imagine it’s how anyone envisioned their company being run. So without further delay…

On October 11, I began noticing some issues with rolling out patches to my clients. I believed it to be an internal issue as our firewall was old and replacement was due. I spent a day in emergency mode building a new firewall. Same issues occurred after, but things still seemed to be working “well enough” to do my job.

By October 13th, our backup server which has for years uploaded all of our changed files to an offsite location at 2am every night began reporting backups are no longer being uploaded, due to a connection reset. I thought maybe it wasn’t the firewall after all, but an Internal switch. We replaced that too.

By October 18th I found that the issue was truly not with us. I went into hardcore tech-troubleshooting mode, and connected a laptop straight to the Verizon ONT. Speed tests would run fine, but uploading anything: a youtube video, facebook picures, an FTP of a new website: fails. Sometimes I’d get lucky and a picture or two would go up, but overall everything fails. Any long connection: Fails. I was testing on a Windows 7 laptop with antivirus, which I knew Verizon support would have issue with, so I then tried a Windows XP laptop, with no antivirus or firewall – only to receive the same result. Short bursts of data such as the speed test report no issues – but any large files (5MB or bigger) fail like clockwork.

October 20th I spoke with an agent at the business support center. I don’t know his name, but boy was he rude and inept. I realize it’s hard to get all A-team players, but this guy was condescending and in left field when it comes to customer satisfaction, let along any technical expertise. When I explained to him I had my laptop connected straight to the ONT, he demanded that an Actiontec router be in line for it to work properly. That’s OK, because I happen to have purchased two from Verizon as spares considering my livelihood depends on that connection functioning properly. When testing with the actiontec in place, the same result occurred. The agent stated it must be something on my edge because everything “looked good” from his end. I then tried the other actiontec router, and other laptop I have here as well, with the same exact result. The agent seems to believe it’d be normal to have 2 bad routers and 2 bad laptops, and nothing could be wrong with his connection. I asked politely to speak with a supervisor, and after being on hold for 5 minutes was told a Verizon technician would be there between 1 and 5 the next day.

On October 21st I rearranged my support schedule so that I was available to a technician between 1 and 5pm. No one showed. No one called. I stayed here until 6pm.

On October 22nd I called in the morning to find I’d been bumped a day, but not notified. I was told two technicians were going to show up within 2 hours. A few hours later, a technician named Josh (who is fantastic) showed up. He acknowledged the problem, and did everything in his power to resolve it. He replaced the ONT. He had central try “test connects” and various new connections, would would change the behavior of uploads, but not actually fix it. He tried another fiber line between my residence and the hub down the street. He tried an even different model of ONT. He tried TWO MORE actiontec routers. He has the same issue, speed tests work, an email without an attachment will work, but as soon as you try to upload a file… FAIULRE. After about 5 hours of him staying there on a Friday night to the point we’re both missing time with friends and family, he escalated the ticket. He was kind enough to give me his cell number if he thought he could be of more assistance, but at that point it was obviously out of his hands and it seems even Verizon’s field technicians need to call into support only to get the run around.

The weekend I expected someone would be fixing the issue somewhere in Verizon, considering at this point it is obvious that the issue is somewhere “inside the system” not at my end.

Today, October 25, 2010 – I found the behavior was the same. I came into the office to find nothing but a list of failures where my servers attempted to send updates to clients, few of which made it out through the connection. I called business support, who was of course very apologetic, and had dispatch send someone who was at my home office within 2 hours. His name was Jay and he was another great tech. Unfortunately, he also had to call into the higher level support who had him jump through the same hoops my time was wasted with the prior work day. We could watch as a youtube video would get to about 4%, then fail. Or watch as I tried to make an FTP connection (to various locations) and watch it fail, then reset, then attempt to continue, then fail again. It was like clockwork – failures. He argue with support on my behalf but again was given the run around. Eventually we convinced them to reset the card I’m connected to at their office. When that happened, uploads failed less soon, and would even reach almost 50% for a 55MB file, but they would fail. The fact that resetting that card (PON card, pawn card?) caused such a drastic change in performance makes it blatantly obvious that the faulty piece of hardware needs to be replaced. It was 4:30pm at that point, and Jay, the field technician at my home office, was told that the woman who he was speaking with’s shift was just about over, and someone would contact him shortly about receiving approval to replace the piece of equipment. No one called. Half an hour later Jay began calling anyone he could think of, his supervisors included – no one answered. Just like that I lost yet another day of productivity in what should be a business I enjoy, which has now left me with a 50 hour back log and lots of stress.

It’s upsetting enough to see this happen to me knowing the effect it has on me, and at this point, my pocketbook as I am literally unable to do my job of remote support right now, but I also find it upsetting that your own field technicians are thrown to the wolves because it’s “quitting time.”

I understand that what has occurred are in a system which is many levels below you and your team, but it is a situation which is about to lose a client who manages networks around here, who would have issue recommending fios as a solution for small and medium businesses in the area at the moment. Honestly other than this letter, I’m not sure what my course of action could be other than to begin calling competitors to find another connection with static IP addresses here.

Sincerely,

Matthew

Epic email is epic. Matt might also want to try giving Lisa Charles in Verizon FiOS Executive Customer Service, 212-321-8463, a shout too.

Comments

1. gamehendge2000 says:

Pretty bad exec letter, imo

• outlulz says:

How so? He explained the situation as it happened, completed the workers that actually did their job, didn’t insult the company and was completely reasonable the whole time. A two sentence, “Your service isn’t working and I’m mad” isn’t going to be enough.

• gamehendge2000 says:

Read Sonnellion’s comment below

• sonneillon says:

It’s not concise. You get about 2 minutes to get the attention of the person reading it. It is full of details, details are great but also full of fluff and irrelevant information. Tech guys are almost always great for detailed reports, but he could have condensed that into a paragraph.

• Mom says:

Writing an executive complaint letter is like writing a resume. It needs to get to the point right away, or it isn’t going to get read.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yeah but the CEO isn’t his tech support. He’s busy and all he needs to know is “I have a problem, you didn’t fix it. Please fix it now.” He doesn’t need to know all of the technical details that were included in this letter.

• jessjj347 says:

I agree that the letter may not get the job done. OP doesn’t seem to be writing for the correct audience, as he has glaring grammatical errors and gets into too much tech detail. It comes off as a little unprofessional. My thought is that the OP is a little frazzled right now, though.

I do like how he has a quick summary in the top, but it may have been better to recap the issue in that same summary. My sense is that the first paragraph is all the exec might read.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I agree but at least it’s broken up into paragraphs. It sure beats the giant walls of text that seem to be the norm.

• weavsworld says:

It got the job done. I was frazzled when I wrote it to say the least, but I did state the issue and intent in the first paragraph. I figured that’s as far as anyone higher up in the system would need to read. The rest being detailed is necessary as these letters tend to make their way down to management, which they did, in the hands of a nice gentlemen who showed up at my doorstep at about AM this morning (district manager I believe.)

As for an actual fix, we’ll see, and I’ll update tomorrow. For now I’m chillin’ with a few fios techs (one of whom turns out to be my new neighbor) wating on word back from central.

2. goodpete says:

Strange network issue. I’m not really an expert, but I’ve taken a few (years of) computer science courses and it sounds like maybe some part of the network is resetting itself periodically (and therefore terminating any in-progress TCP streams).

I think the OP’s hypothesis (that it’s the “pawn?” card) is pretty reasonable. As the OP said, it’s highly unlikely that it’s on the OP’s end, as he tried completely different sets of hardware and ended up with the same result.

3. terranwannabe says:

Wonder how his clients feel about a) all of their backups residing in this guy’s basement, b) this guy’s basement being a single point of failure for their backup, patching and antivirus infrastructures, and c) this guy depending on what is effectively a consumer-grade internet connection (with no backup of DSL, cable, wireless, ISDN, T1, etc) to conduct his entire business and protect their businesses. If he can afford to buy multiple ActionTec routers as hot standbys for his FIOS connection, he can afford a T1 as backup or a bonded T1 / metro Ethernet as primary connection.

• aloria says:

This. I don’t now if he has a business-level FiOS account or something, but even then it seems to me that he should have some sort of secondary Internet connection for redundancy. This isn’t like a work-at-home web developer who can, worst case, pick up and do work at a Starbucks while his Internet issues are being sorted out.

• crashman2600 says:

Let alone no backup power and no real security (two factor or biometrics)

• weavsworld says:

Plenty of backup power. No need for biometrics. This is not a datacenter. As I stated in other replies, this is a system that allows us to work with other clients, not houses their data.

• weavsworld says:

Just to clarrify: no client data is backed up to this location. It is a home office for a true workaholic network tech (me). Websites are not hosted from here, either. No client facing facilities are hosted here except for tools which allow me to remotely manage and work with clients. Until this morning uploads were impossible – you could not even post a picture on face book. I’ve done nothing outside of Verizon’s services for a business client, this is not some cheapo datacenter hosting 5 cent web pages. What is sent up from here is encrypted backups of our own and client configurations in the issue of a disaster. I suppose I sadly enough saw Verizon being that disaster, and I will be installing another conneciton. Fios is usually so great, it was simply never needed. There is a plan in place in light of a true disaster, but not one that allows us to switch between the disaster site and this site instantly. We never planned for a half working fios connection.

There will be an update to this tomorrow, I think it’s resolved. (or will be at 2am.)

• notserpmh says:

Not sure if you got this resolved or are even checking this post anymore, since it was from yesterday, but you might check/try lowering your MTU as some others have suggested. We have business Fios (5 ips, 20/20) in TX, and about a month or so ago, a lot of sites just stopped loading, uploads to some sites would work, etc. Our Fios had always been rock solid as well. After replacing our Firewall as well (we use custom FreeBSD firewalls), spending countless hours on the phone with Verizon tech support going in circles, trying connecting directly to the ONT, getting our ONT replaced, etc. we finally, in part by random guesses, found that by lowering the MTU on our machine (and any firewall between us and the ONT) to 1400 (instead of the default 1500), everything worked.

Every site we tried loaded fine, no more upload issues, everything worked as before. It appears that somewhere between our location, through Verizon networks and the hops it went through to a couple of major datacenters, there was a MTU black hole (basically, if you send too large of a packet, the server should send back an ICMP notice that it is to big and to shrink it. Some network admins are dumb and block all ICMP traffic, causing packets that come through to just be dropped, while the originating computer keeps trying with the same packet size because it doesn’t know any better).

Anyway, we came about the 1400 value empirically, but it seems pretty consistent. You can change the MTU value quickly and easily on a Windows machine with TCPOptimizer (just google for it, it is a free download), or if you use something else, you can probably figure it out.

Just thought I would share in case you are still having trouble and this helps out.

4. nybiker says:

Maybe somebody at Pace University’s SEIDENBERG SCHOOL OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS can help out?
    Yes, it’s the same guy. He donated a boatload of money and they named the school after him.

From their page:
    In September 2005, the Pace University trustees renamed the school the Seidenberg School of Computer Science and Information Systems, honoring Ivan G. Seidenberg, the chairman and CEO of Verizon Communications, Inc., who made a $15-million gift to help endow the school. Seidenberg, who earned his MBA from Pace in 1981 and serves as a university trustee, is widely recognized for transforming the telecommunications industry by pioneering uses of wireless technology and for recently setting the goal of taking broadband to every home. His donation is the largest gift ever given to Pace University and represents his long-standing commitment to Pace’s mission of providing opportunity to a diverse student population.

A portion of the new gift has gone towards the creation of the Seidenberg Scholars program, making it possible to recruit the brightest students and finest scholars and researchers in the country. The Seidenberg Scholars are expected to help propel the school to new heights and a position of national leadership among its peers.

• satoru says:

And… this is relevant in what why?

• nybiker says:

Well, it’s relevant in that the OP has a computer issue. So I was thinking that some of the students at the school might be able to help.

Granted, I had intended a tone of snarkiness in my comment, so I apologize for not labeling it as such.

5. satoru says:

This sounds like a packet truncation issue. Uploads are working. Despite what people think, to download stuff you still need to actually upload data as part of the initial handshake and other things. I’ve seen things where if a router or switch is mis-configured, it truncates the packet which causes the other end to get the packet, fail the CRC and complain. Pings can work because they don’t actually take up the full packet, same with the initial handshake stuff.

I’d suggest looking at how the router is configured with either jumbo frames or just the frame size in general. See if you can ping the actual packet size without it failing.

• Samuel Kadolph says:

It’s clear from your post you don’t actually understand how packets and the internet in general work. So you should kindly take your blame from the OP and give it to Verizon.

• Pryce says:

sounds like a MTU issue. This can often happen if someone along the path blocks ICMP, as the discovery mechanism using this protocol. He should manually set his MTU values to something low (like 1000, 1500 is default) to regain functionality, then adjust upwards for efficiency.

80% sure this is the issue.

6. He says:

It’s expensive but we maintain two separate ISP connections (DSL and cable) and use a router that supports failover WAN connections. If we used pfSense, we could use both at the same time in a sort of outgoing round robin. We just don’t trust large corporations to respond quickly no matter what the terms of service say.

• satoru says:

Redundancy and high availability are all about how much money you want to spend. You want your email to be up 24×7. I need 2 ISPs, running into the building, a server with 2 of everything inside, separate power supplies and power lines, oh and I need to pay a colo facility to host our redundant server in case our office is hit by a meteor. And it’s going to cost you $100k a month to do all this. Oh is email not so important anymore?

• wildgift says:

You’re overstating it. MX forwarding used to cost around $25 a month. I think some anti-spam services will hold your email if your internet goes down. Dual internet connections costs the same as two broadband links from different vendors. Just add $30 a month or so for the slowest option. There are new routers that will use both links in a quasi load-balanced fashion.

7. crashman2600 says:

Sounds like Verizon got tired of him running servers on a home based Fios line and blocked his uploads. My advice, move in to a data center, that is what they are for.

• bonzombiekitty says:

Well, his e-mail does say he was talking to business support. So I assume he has a business contract with them. In which case, I’d assume there is some sort of SLA.

• Mom says:

He says he has a business account. He should be able to do this without problem on a business account.

• brianw76 says:

5 static IP lines are not given to home consumers.
      The cost and hassle of a data center is not worth it for something like this, you must own some serious stock in Verizon if you seriously consider this the proper resolution.

Verizon doesn’t arbitrarily disable uploads if you are using too much bandwidth regardless of the reason you are using it, especially if you are paying for a business level package with static IP addresses.

• crashman2600 says:

No it is not a proper resolution but if this business is THAT important to him maybe he should invest in some space at a data center or at least a connection with an SLA. BTW, I do not have any stock in Verizon.

• pot_roast says:

Yes, yes they are. If you are paying for their business service, they will give you the IP addresses regardless of whether you’re in a home or an office. If you have an actual business address, it’s a little different and you usually cannot get the “home” packages/prices. But anybody at home (including me) can call up and upgrade to the business plan and have 5 IP addresses.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Verizon does offer FiOS for Business:

• weavsworld says:

This is a business fios line, and I’m billed as such. Some (more client facing things are in a datacenter) some are here. Unfortunately my job is very difficult without what’s here running properly.

8. sonneillon says:

That guy really needs to get to the point It should read.

This is my problem
    This is who failed to solve my problem
    This is the acceptable solution

Stories like this make you want to grind your teeth when your job is reading emailed complaints. I understand the need to be complete, but a secretary or manager who reads thousands of these in a week is going to skim it and forward it back down to support. Concise letters are important when complaining.

Also FIOS is the best commercially available internet in the United States outside of a college campus.

• FrugalFreak says:

Short letters doesn’t always explain the whole issue. It may be more work ACTUALLY reading what you get paid to do but it is YOUR JOB. The OP’s job is not to make your life easier.

• jessjj347 says:

It’s not an executive’s job to read complaints from customers…

• FrugalFreak says:

It should be.

• sonneillon says:

Perhaps, but in the end the exec pays people to do this and a concise letter will get the exec to actually read it while something along these lines will get the exec to just forward it. That is how people generally act.

9. DarthCoven says:

Holy wall of text Batman!

10. AI says:

This detailed report requires an executive summary.

• Buckus says:

Summary:

I have a relatively expensive network connection with your company. I have had recent issues uploading large amounts of data over said network connection.

Telephone support has been unable to provide any meaningful assistance.

Field technicians have determined there is an issue on the Verizon network or with Verizon equipment. The most recent technician believes the issue is with a PON (Pawn?) card.

The technician was unable to get the PON card replaced due to a lack of communication with his technical support and supervisors.

Please fix the issue so that I may continue paying you large sums of money for an expensive network connection. Otherwise I will begin shopping for other expensive network connections.

• Purr says:

*with an addendum of… “and I will also educate myself on this newfangled concept of failover protection.”

That guy’s customers really aren’t the smartest if they trust a rack in a basement with a single connection to the outside world to handle their traffic.

• weavsworld says:

Brilliant translation of my rant.

• weavsworld says:

First paragraph :)

11. Skellbasher says:

I’m pretty sure that even with a business account you’re not entitled to have a rack in your basement pushing out application updates to clients. Business accounts usually just allow you the static IPs, and basic servers , like a web or email server.

It sounds to me (and I am a network administrator by trade) that Verizon is actively interfering with traffic. If some services are working just fine, and others are not, it’s generally hard to come to the conclusion that it’s upstream hardware.

I’d also agree that the letter is too long and detailed. No exec is going to sit through that, it’s going to be punted back down to the same people that aren’t doing anything wrong.

• crashman2600 says:

Thank you! I said that above and I got bashed!

• NeverLetMeDown says:

He’s saying that all uploads are problematic, so I doubt it’s content filtering. As to his traffic volumes, without knowing the plan, his SLA, etc., we have no way of knowing whether he’s in violation of the TOS.

Finally, and most importantly, if this were a case where his usage was intentionally being throttled, don’t you think someone, of all the people at VZ who have dealt with this, would, well, KNOW THAT?

• Skellbasher says:

He said that ‘speed tests work fine’ , which means the associated uploads with passing that much traffic were in fact working just fine.

It’s also very possible that if he was being throttled or otherwise via a TOS problem, only one department would know about it. Years ago when I worked for another large ISP, only the abuse department knew what actions were being taken against violators. Nobody else in the company could access that.

Not a great business practice, but not unheard of.

• weavsworld says:

Negative. This is one reason we used to love fios (and probably will again when this is resolved.) Mind you, you’re arguing that hosting a web server would be less demanding than some kind of application server sugh as, lets say, Kaseya, Labtech, N-Able, etc. I guess I don’t see your argument. The rack is irrelivent. We were unable to even upload a youtube video, yet I was able to do this teathering my laptop to my cell phone. Figure that one out.

12. Gulliver says:

I agree with those who say it is just too damn long. A C-level exec is going to ignore this letter, or pass it to an underling to read it and summarize. A better approach would be Mr S, My uploads through Fios has not worked for 10 days,. I have tried all levels of tech support. I need this fixed by such and such a day. Please credit my service for the 10 days lost service. I have attached the detailed report .

Easy fast and Mr S calls the person manager in charge of your area and gets it handled

13. post_break says:

I’ve complained to the consumerist about this before and they ignored me. I pay for 25/25 and only get 25/15. FIOS lies about their upload speeds. You’ll get your download speed but your upload speed is a toss up. Also that Lisa Charles phone number has been disconnected thanks to the consumerist.

• Sepp_TB says:

I pay for 15/5 and get 25/15. That doesn’t help you out at all, but it does make me happy every day.

• weavsworld says:

You might want to call support (again and again and again.) I heard a few war stories today about them mixing up data accounts. If you dont’ have a static IP there’d be no way to know you’re getting someone elses data package.

• pot_roast says:

Are you plugged directly into the router? I have problems with a cheap Netgear home switch, but I still get 20mbit on 35/35 package. When I plug right into the Actiontec router I can easily get those speeds from multiple speed tests and even SCP to a server I have in a colocation facility.
      I’m going to be replacing the switch with something else, but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

14. Buddha says:

Oh god, not another person that pays for a home account and runs a business out of it. (which is against the FIOS TOS). If you had a business account like your supposed to, this would have been fixed already.

• bonzombiekitty says:

He does have a business account. His letter said he has 5 static IP addresses (which I don’t think they give to consumers) and was talking with the business support.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

RTFA.

• Dystopium says:

Having used both Verizon residential and business FIOS at home. I have 2 ONT’s installed. The will not allow you to get static IP addresses on residential service. You have to have a whole separate ONT installed to provide Business services and static IPs.

• bill793 says:

Oh god, not another person who blames the OP and spews out an opinion without RTFA. If you had read the article, you might have looked like you knew what you were talking about.

15. jeff_the_snake says:

the problem probably is on verizon’s end but his setup sounds like a real mess. those actiontec routers are garbage and don’t even handle gigabit traffic, unless there’s a higher end model I haven’t heard of. i’d try replacing it with an enterprise level router or at the very least a linksys running dd-wrt. dd-wrt has made a world of difference on my home fios net.

• Skellbasher says:

Why would you need a gigabit router when you aren’t even getting 100Mb from VZ?

If you want to run gigabit internally between devices, that’s one thing, but there’s no need for gigabit at the edge

• gamehendge2000 says:

gigabit is perhaps a wrong argument to ditch the Actiontecs provided by Verizon. They have a woefully inadequate nat table, and it can overflow easily, if you’ve got traffic from multiple clients behind 1 IP. That’s the tip of the iceberg on these things. You can get Fios to provision you over ethernet (and not coax) from the ONT, although that is not the default…once done, you can use the router of your choosing.

Once I did this and put a dd-wrt router out front, 100% of my Fios issues disappeared.

• jeff_the_snake says:

I’m aware your external traffic doesn’t need a gigabit but wouldn’t you want all your lan stuff at a gigabit in a kind of micro data center or whatever he’s going for?

• weavsworld says:

Who wouldn’t want to run gigabit internally? But again, considering the issue is occuring with the techs testing from laptops DIRECTLY to the new ONT (either of them) – there is no router in the line at all, so I’m not sure how it applies here.

When all ir running normally we run Untangle to the permitter, but there’s a number of good solutions that put the Actiontec’s to shame. They’re only here because that’s what Verizon prefers to troubleshoot with them, so they’re always here and configured. I have a couple brand new ones for free after this mess for troubleshooting thanks to nice techs.

• weavsworld says:

The setup being a mess would not be a factor. The actiointec routers were only used for troubleshooting with Verizon since that’s what they know. The issue occurs even with a laptop straight to the ONT. Why do folks seem to have som much trouble understanding this?

• benson304 says:

It sounds like he is running Ethernet from the ONT, since he connected directly to it from his laptop. He said he put the Actiontec in between only at the insistance of the tech.

16. SoItsComeToThis says:

That’s why two separate ISPs is a must. It was mentioned already in another comment but I can’t stress how important redundant ISPs are. If you don’t mind having 5 minutes of down time, you don’t need fancy routers that fall back on one another. You just swap the WAN cables when you need to.

But don’t think you can get away with two DSL services (if that still exists these days). You should go with DSL/FiOS and then cable. Business cable is $50 to $150 a month so its small potatoes if you count the hours of downtime you’ve already had calculate the value & cost of that time.

GL getting things resolved!

17. Rachacha says:

The situation sucks, but let this be a lesson that if your business relies upon 100% uptime and connection to the internet, you need to have more than 1 point of failure with your ISP. Have a FiOS connection as your primary, but also have a Cable or DSL connection, and as a third point of failure, get a cellular data modem. Granted, when your FiOS goes down, your connection speed will not be up to par, but a slower connection is better than no connection.

• MrEvil says:

Heck when I was in business for myself I made alot less money than this guy and I had a backup WAN connection. I kept a Sprint data connection on my Laptop and later moved to a 3G/4G Overdrive for both mobile Internet and a backup WAN connection.

But yeah, he bought 2 extra of the Verizon crappy router….I bet with what Verizon charges for those pieces of junk he could have bought a Peplink Balance and gotten a cheapy Cable modem or DSL (or even Clear) connection for a secondary LAN. Peplink’s cheapest dual WAN router is $300 which isn’t all too bad. Their next step up supports 2 Ethernet WAN and a USB WAN and it’s $400. Hell DD-WRT on a WRT54GL would work even better.

However, if he’s got FiOS TV he has to stick with that crap-tastic Actiontec modem if I am not mistaken. Seriously I’d just do without the TV if I was forced to put up with those notorious actiontecs.

• weavsworld says:

You assume I make more than you did – that means I’ve gotta be doing something right! I’ve been using my verizon phone teathered to my laptop. That’s not what I consider a backup, though. The post above is absolutely correct in that I need to have a true backup in place, such as a business comcast account here as well, which will occur whether VZ fixes this issue or not.

• Rachacha says:

Unless you were one of the first ones to get FiOS TV (Like I was) you have to use the Actiontec modem/router. For those of us that were fortunate to not have the modem, you can use any router (Verizon supplies a D-link), and you have an external box that pulls the on demand and channel guide from the internet connection and injects it on the Coax TV lines. When the installer came in to add TV to my house, he saw that I had a somewhat complex setup, so he gave me the external TV box, but also left me an Actiontec just in case I ran into problems.

18. CyGuy says:

I wonder if were to host a file on his server, whether someone on the internet could download it from him. If so that should establish that it isn’t anything wrong with the packets themselves, but with how they are being handled.

Also, if it worked, he should be able run this remote ‘download’ of the files he is storing, from his end.

19. digitalbuilt says:

“October 20th I spoke with an agent at the business support center. ” Suggesting that he does indeed have a business account not a home account as many of you seem to think.
    Business accounts often include a hefty price increase, and allowances for server use etc.

20. oldwiz65 says:

Not very surprising; Verizon’s technical support is pretty much limited to “try again, reboot router, it’s your problem, we don’t support that” etc. Just paying for business service doesn’t mean you will get business service.

The OP should be complaining to the state public utilities commission, since Verizon is obviously incapable of fixing anything.

21. evnmorlo says:

tl;dr

Ivan Seidenberg
    CEO Verizon Communications, Inc.

22. dmuth says:

I’m surprised he didn’t fire up TCPDump or Wireshark, and try to figure out what’s causing the connection to fail. I’d be interested in seeing if it’s a bad CRC (as another poster mentioned), or a forged RST packet coming from Verizon (as Comcast used to do to BitTorrent).

As others have said, I too feel that his letter is too long. A short, “this is what’s wrong, this is what it should be doing, these are the names of people who have worked on it” would be more helpful.

23. ITDEFX says:

I’ve had issues similar to this before with FIOS…. some days it will be fine..others it would stall :( I just don’t get it.

24. mikesum32 says:

As a former FiOS tech, I’d suggest the cross-connects or as stated above, the PON card (Passive Optical Network) could be to blame, but I am not an NT, a network technician, but a former front-liner sub-contractor. I’m not expert but if packets are being truncated, you might be able to increase the packet size until it fails or perhaps a pathping might shed some light.

The Verizon Direct forum would probably be helpful as well.

-Michael