Reader Sues Delta Over Bungled Baggage — And Wins!

Even though we’re paying oft-ridiculous fees for checked bags on airplanes, none of that ancillary revenue seems to be going toward improving the actual checking in or tracking of said bags. That’s why it’s refreshing to hear a story where a screwed-over passenger stands up to this general ineptitude and comes out victorious.

Reader John and a friend recently flew to Italy on Delta. When they went to change planes at JFK airport, they were told that the continuing flight was oversold.

According to John, they heeded the airline’s suggestion and opted to take guaranteed seats on the same flight the next day. And when they went to get their luggage back, they were told it had already been checked in for that later flight.

This is where the fun starts. Take it away John:

When we arrived at the ticket counter the following day, we were informed the bags had not been checked but they were going to locate them before the flight departed, several hours later.

When we arrived at the gate it was in chaos, it was oversold just like the day prior. After waiting 30 minutes to talk to the same gate agent who assured us the day prior our bags would be checked for today’s flight, she again assured us the bags were on the plane and brushed us away.

Not believing her we spoke to the agent scanning tickets who also was aware of our situation. He too quickly typed into the computer, said they were on the plane and brushed us away.

We arrived in Italy and sure enough our bags had not. After speaking with a baggage agent there she showed us the list of bags loaded into the plane and ours were not on it. Our cruise departed the same day and it took Delta 5-and-a-half days to get us our luggage. Our 7-day cruise was ruined as we had to spend the majority of our off ship time searching for basic necessities and clothing.

I wrote several letters to the office of the CEO (Richard Anderson) and they basically told us too bad and would do nothing more than offer us useless $300 flight vouchers. I kept trying to offer solutions and compromises but they told me politely to go away, I stated I would seek legal remedy and they stated:

“We have attempted to show you in our words and actions that we are truly sorry your travel did not go smoothly. Regrettably, we cannot add anything else. As such, I must respectfully inform you that we will not be replying to correspondence concerning this matter again.”

At that point Delta left me no choice. I filed suit for Fraud and Negligent Misrepresentation ( a subsection of fraud ). Delta showed up on the day of trial. Prior to trial we offered to settle if they returned the miles we used to book the flights. They declined. Accordingly, we went into court and I presented our case, Delta argued they owed us nothing. The commissioner disagreed. The court found in our favor, agreeing with my “basic theory of Negligent Misrepresentation”. Together we won $4,140. $2000 each plus court costs. We received our checks from Delta yesterday.

Congratulations to John, though it sucks that he gave Delta every opportunity to do the right thing and still had to result to legal action.

Comments

1. cynthetiq says:

I hate connecting flights and now always have some changes of clothes on the carry one. Twice I did not get my luggage when we arrived because of connecting flights. It put a serious damper on one trip, wearing pants poolside at Atlantis was just horrible for 2 days.

I’m glad that they got their justice.

• jenjenjen says:

The one time Delta borked my luggage was on a nonstop. They did find it, and it was on my trip home so I wasn’t out of clothing, but still. That’s precisely why I shelled out extra for a nonstop.

• cowboyesfan says:

They should have talked to Richard Dean Anderson. That guy can fix anything.

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Fucking perfect story to start the weekend!

3. tungstencoil says:

pwn! Awesome!

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Whoa whoa whoa, actual justice dispensed? Which rainbow-covered state of our fair union was this?

5. duxup says:

How hard would have been for an airline to just give those folks back their miles? Worth $4,140 to the airline?

• Rachacha says:

Don’t forget the likely thousands that they spent in their own legal costs, plus bad publicity

• Minimum says:

beat me to it.
        But yeah, they showed up for the trial. That had to cost a bunch, they must have done some research prior, that probably cost a decent amount.

Glad the guy won.

• HalOfBorg says:

It’s not the cost of paying those people – it’s the thousands who’d get in line the next day. And the one after that. And after that…………….

Precedent.

• Pax says:

…. if they had settled OUT of court, there would be no precedent.

Now, though? Now, everyone who has a similar experience, wil be bringing this one case back up, in front of the courts … over, and over, and over.

And the airline will lose the case again. Over, and over, and over – because now, there IS a hard precedent to refer to.

• duxup says:

If they settle the airline would just add a condition they don’t talk about it.

Rather now they got their money… and can talk about it.

• cluberti says:

Right – those fees are arguably paying for a service the airline should be providing, namely getting my bags to my destination with me. It was one thing when the price of the ticket should have included it but was inferred, but now it’s a nice little extra line-item fee to tack on to flying most airlines one can give to the court now that you’re paying them directly and over-and-above the carriage fee of the ticket itself to handle your bags to their destination. Given that, it makes it harder for them to say they weren’t negligent, not easier. Not sure they really thought the whole bag-fee thing through, perhaps. Someone saw dollar signs and jumped at them during a recession to bolster the bottom line, but I think perhaps now that short-term gain could come back to bite them if other people start taking this route, and presumably, winning, based on precedent.

It would have been *far* better for Delta to settle out of court, non-disclosure the settlement, and not set precedent. I guess those bag fees are not only not going to improve baggage handling, but they’re not using the funds to hire a legal team with at least half a brain either.

• Fallom says:

Oh, you mean they’d set the DANGEROUS precedent of having to compensate customers for treating their personal belongings and time like nothing?

6. Nick says:

Good, good, good. I am a strong proponent of individuals pursuing legal action in situations like this. Too often, companies forget that “company policy” does not override the law. Only once companies discover that their actions will cost them real money will they start to change their behavior. Perhaps the Consumers Union folks should sponsor a website that could serve as a clearinghouse for assisting consumers with small claims and civil actions like this. (e.g., provide state-by-state info, sample cases, legal primers, and company agent directory)

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

The only downside for this story was that $4140 doesn’t mean squat to a company as large as Delta. Not saying the wronged were owed millions upon millions, but it’d be great if there were punitive damages, too.

An occasional suit for 4K? Cost of doing business. Won’t change anything.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

But imagine if every person who lost luggage did this.

I would say that could cause them to change policies more in the customer’s favor.

• cluberti says:

You know, the airlines in general, and apparently Delta in particular, have never shown that they’re actually wise enough to try and avoid this. You know what lots of suits are going to mean? Higher baggage fees, and *maybe* some better baggage handling. Maybe.

With that in mind, if they screw you over, do it right back. I’m all for avoiding litigation and agree we’re a bit too litigious as a society, but with a corporation that obviously doesn’t give a rat’s @ss about their customers, stick it to ‘em. And when they ask the government for their next bail-out, make sure to tell your elected representatives exactly why they should be allowed to go out of business rather than why they deserve your tax dollars. Given how bad Delta’s become (and they used to be fairly GOOD at running an airline, comparatively, at one point!), I don’t think I’d really shed a tear for them either. I’d feel bad for the newly-unemployed pilots, stewards, and baggage/ticketing reps, but I think Delta’s probably trying to screw them further too, so it might all be for the best anyway.

I’d *love* to see that become a precedent – start running your airline better and for your customers, or go the fsck out of business.

• shawnamuffin says:

At least it will mean something to the consumer.

• Pax says:

$4,140 paid to that couple.

Probably another $500 to $1,000 paid to their own lawyers.

If the couple had lawyers, perhaps a separate payment of another $500 to $1,000 to them.

And, the big kicker? There is now a case precedent, in at least one jurisdiction, where they LOST … and that precedent WILL continue to bite them in their corporate asses for years or even decades to come. Everyone with a similar issue, who hires a lawyer and files suit, will end up citing the precedent this case establishes.

This is like an antimatter Energizer Bunny: it wil become the case that keeps on costing … and costing … and costing

• buckeyegoose says:

Thats why I can never understand why companies can care less if u sue them, do they actualy think the threat of their army of attornies is gonna stop the suit? You’d think Delta would of been bending over backwards to advoid this going to a judge, as now it is case law, and as has been said will bite them over and over.

• eb0nyknight says:

Because, “I’ll sue you” is so overplayed as to be an idle threat. Most people talk the talk, but won’t walk the walk.

• p. observer says:

maybe even an email a lawyer feature to see if you have a case

7. apd09 says:

I doubt this changes anything with Delta, and they will still do the bare minimum to appease customers as they attempted to do prior to going to court. It is good to know that this is possible though, but I bet there has already been a revision to the Delta terms or service or agreement hoping the eliminate this from happening again.

• drdom says:

I am not versed on the laws of the State of New York (dangerously presuming the case was filed in NY because the tort happened at JFK), but, because a judgment was entered in a court of record against the airline, and because they paid the judgment, it establishes precedent. That’s why so many settlements are predicated on not admitting guilt: so as to avoid setting a precedent.

If I filed suit against Delta in my home state, the court would be permitted to consider the fact that Delta lost a similar case in another jurisdiction. It goes toward showing a pattern of conduct, which may entitle a successful plaintiff to additional damages. Subsequently, others with similar issues will have an easier time successfully suing Delta in the future.

I’m very surprised that Delta didn’t settle, and equally surprised they didn’t appeal or go to a trial. It would appear their legal department is as good as their baggage handling.

• huadpe says:

The power of the precedent isn’t just that it establishes a pattern of negligence, but rather that it shows that other courts have interpreted the law in the passenger’s favour. Unless suit was filed in Louisiana, this case fell under the Uniform Commercial Code, which every state has as an identical statute (except Louisiana). So even though it’s not binding, states take very seriously other states’ rulings on the UCC, since it’s the same law everywhere, and is meant to provide consistent rules for the whole country (except Louisiana).

• caj111 says:

I thought that decisions at the trial court level in state and local courts generally don’t establish any legal precedent because those decisions generally aren’t published in court reporters (trial court decisions at the federal level sometimes are published). If the decision had been appealed by either side and then was subsequently affirmed or overturned by the appellate court, then you would have precedent. I don’t think anybody could cite to this decision in a subsequent case against Delta, regardless of which state they file a case in, but maybe I’m wrong on that.

8. hennese says:

We are going on a cruise in December. Stories like this are why my wife and I are checking a bag, but also using a small carry-on with basics.. clean undies, a few changes of clothes. In case the luggage does not make it, you at least have something to go on – even if it means washing your clothes on the cruise.

• erratapage says:

Good choice. That’s what my husband and I do when we travel for a cruise.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

You ought to look into shipping your bags to the cruise departure point. It may cost less than checking them on an airline.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i learned from my oft-traveling parents that you can pack a whole lot of silk knit underwear and t shirts in a carry on. they wash well in the sink and drip dry overnight on the shower rod. or, camping, hanging from a carabiner off your backpack. silk takes up very little room and dries a lot faster than cotton and even some synthetic blends

• ShadowFalls says:

Also another reason why I despise hopping planes. It doesn’t give you much room for when their delays make you miss your flight or other travel arrangements.

As I have said before, it costs much less to just make customers happy. It also is more profitable in the end too, because of repeat business and word of mouth.

9. gerrylum says:

Nice. I hope that helps set up some nice precedent.

10. Alex says:

I didn’t know about negligent misrepresentation but kudos to the OP for knowing about it and rubbing Delta’s face in it! Huzzah!

11. meb says:

I wish there were a way to re-configure a plane to remove the cargo area, but space the seats out in a way that left enough room for you to stow your own bag in with you. Imagine how much stress would be relieved if you never lost sight of your luggage or had to worry about it being damaged.

• Griking says:

I was under the impression that airlines usually made extra money buy shipping goods for companies in whatever area is available in baggage areas of the planes. I don’t know that it’s fact but it’s what I heard. If they did what you suggested (which would be nice) they’d lose the extra revenue that they’re used to making for shipping.

• Niphil says:

This is true. They also make money on storage. That is, if someone isn’t there to pick up the cargo immediately, they begin charging storage fees for holding the cargo, and those fees are no small amount.

• e065702 says:

The technical obstacles to your proposal are endless. Basically you are asking for the complete re-engineering of the entire commercial airline industry.

12. oldgraygeek says:

I just drove from Delaware to Oklahoma two weeks ago, and drove back last weekend.
    This is why I drive. My luggage and I arrived, and returned, at the same time.

13. wkm001 says:

Once again, the airlines have one job. Get us and our baggage to a destination and they fuck it up. Why do they think there aren’t repercussions when they fail to do that?

• spunkmonkey says:

That has to be the most brilliant statement about airlines that I have ever heard.

• ryder28910 says:

Consequently, it’s one of the most inane and ignorant statements I’ve ever heard. It’s akin to saying that Boeing has only one simple job: to make planes. The average narrow minded reader of this site (yourselves included) don’t realize that this one thing has millions of little pieces that need to work together.

• LandruBek says:

Richard H. Anderson, is that you?

• sonneillon says:

Airlines can make it so that lost bags do not happen, or happen very rarely. They choose not too. It is too costly and most of the passengers blame the airports not the airlines. This aspect of their little pieces is a choice.

• spindle789 says:

If they can’t get the “millions of little pieces that need to work together” to work, perhaps they should consider NOT running an airline.

14. RosevilleWgn says:

I too lost my luggage (Well, lost for me) on a business trip via Delta. Took them Four days to find it, in the mean time I had to find a place to buy decent business clothes in bfe PA.

15. ninabi says:

Perfect. A much better ending than the similar situation my daughter found herself in this June when airline foul ups caused her to miss her connecting flight and American Airlines decided that going solo through Europe was a fine idea for an unaccompanied, checked backpack. All backpacks need to grow up and be on their own someday, right?

American Airlines was rather snotty about compensation of any sort. Backpack turned up one country and five days later.

16. Nakko says:

After having been a business traveler for many years, and being on a few hundred flights, man, everything that could go wrong, at some point, did. Lost bags and being stranded were normal. I got to where I would pack extremely lightly and only bring carry-on luggage. Period.

• cluberti says:

+1, although suits tend not to travel well in a carry-on small enough to be allowed. Other than that, all my travel is by rail (if close enough – yay northeastern corridor) or carry-on luggage if flying. Airlines lose luggage often enough that I’m not surprised this case was won by the consumer, honestly, especially now that they’re actually directly charging you for your checked baggage.

• OSAM says:

Luckily, I live in an area that is served by canadian airline Porter. SHort-hop flights, gate-checking if I so choose, and my suitbags can come onboard with me. I almost always travel with nothing more than a simple overnight bag and a suit bag.

17. JayPhat says:

woah, win-win.

18. jason in boston says:

John: If you are reading this, put up your notes that you used to prepare your case! They would be invaluable for someone else in your shoes.

19. JustLurking says:

Awesome!

Delta used to be the most glorious airline to fly… About 25 years ago.

Although they have yet to lose my luggage, I have had weird luggage issues with them, in addition to other things that could have easily been taken care of by a bit of courtesy.

So cool to see our man win, and actually a bit surprising to see that Delta showed up on court.

20. dolemite says:

Hurray! A win for the little guy.

More and more companies seem to be brushing customers aside, and it’s refreshing to see something done about it.

21. daemonaquila says:

Awesome! I wish I’d done that when 15 of us went to Ireland and ALL our luggage was lost. Some people got their luggage 3 days into the trip, most got it 6 days into the trip (by which time one of those people was already on the way home), and one got it the day before everyone else left, torn up and looking like someone had driven over it.

22. AngryK9 says:

The only thing this has accomplished is giving the OP something to brag about. Other than that, Delta won’t feel it. They pay more than that out on the daily carpet cleaning in the terminals at ATL.

23. JG2002 says:

Nicely done… This is a great story. Congrats to both of you.

24. Nighthawke says:

Ohh, the hammer fell on Delta digits hard that time.

Lessons learned? Bah, what’s 4 grand to a bunch of high-backed leather armchair execs that only look at the big picture? It’ll take a class-action worth more than 6 digits to really get under their skin.

• shawnamuffin says:

Again, who cares what Delta thinks? The consumer is happy that he has received compensation for his loss.

• cluberti says:

And legal precedent, in at least one jurisdiction, has been set. It’s on the books for all to see and quote the next time a consumer decides that, after paying an airline to get his luggage to his destination and it doesn’t, he will sue for misrepresentation (you can’t NOT pay the fees for carrying on luggage) and negligence (they didn’t provide you the service you paid for, and botched your travel plans on the part they did get right by getting you to your destination… hopefully). It’s not a bad argument against an airline that plays this game, it’s brilliant, and I’m shocked it’s not won previously. Perhaps it hadn’t been tried?

• shawnamuffin says:

Thanks for clarifying the “negligent misrepresentation” thing. Ah legalese – you do need it!

• nobodygrrl says:

Actually, negligent misrepresentation is when someone makes a statement that he/she has no reason to believe is true in order to induce another to do something. Here, it appears that the OP won the claim proving that Delta induced the OP to rebooking the flight by representing that the bags would fly with the passenger when, in fact, there was no reasonable basis for that statement.

25. axiomatic says:

So I bet that one smarted a little there Delta? Now shut up and get back to responsible baggage handling you morons.

26. veritybrown says:

Oddly enough, the only company that ever lost my luggage was Greyhound.

27. buddyedgewood says:

And this is why I ALWAYS travel with ONLY carry-on luggage, even internationally.

If it doesn’t fit, either I don’t need it or I can buy something like it when I get there. And if you’re carrying something big (gifts for friends or loved ones, or presentation type stuff for a business meeting), use FedEx – it’s way worth the extra costs involved.

28. Snowblind says:

About a year ago I started traveling regularly for work, about once a month, 5 to 7 day trips.

I ran into a real road warrior, 32, no perminate address, logged 1 million miles worldwide in 10 years. She was the female version of “Up in the Air”

She introduced me to the 22inch carry-on from Eagle Creek and the cube packing system.

I can pack for an indefinite trip with a 5 to 7 day change of clothing cycle depending on climate and if I need a full suit and not a sportcoat. 50% of my travel clothes are stainproof, wrinkleproof and can be washed and dried in the hotel room.

Now I can carry everything on the plane with me and never let my bag out of my reach.

I am never “that guy” that is holding up the group wait for his checked bag or “that guy” that has been wearing the same clothes for 5 days.

I have gone on two vacations using this method, one 10 driving trip and one 7 day to Hawaii. Wife is starting to think it is a better deal than paying for the giant suitcase…

• yusefyk says:

But how do you keep your overwhelming superiority from overcoming everyone else in the cabin?

By the way, it is spelled “permanent.”

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I love taking only a carry-on. I just looked at the Eagle Creek site; it’s not terribly expensive, but out of my reach for now, so I’ll just use their packing tips. Thanks!

29. SilverBlade2k says:

I really want to see the end result of the case where someone filed a lawsuit for 5 million against an an Airline.

30. Mcshonky says:

for all my tyt brethren
    release the kracken….

31. Hotscot says:

Excellent story. Let’s all do this next time.

On a related point..when we pay the airline money to check our baggage.
    Is that a contract? And if so what’s the airline’s responsibility?

32. redline says:

American lost our bags on a trip to the islands about 10 years ago. My wife and I had to purchase clothing and basic necessities. I kept all the receipts and upon returning home I sent a letter to American requesting reimbursement. They sent us an apology letter along with a check!

33. magickalrealism says:

I’ve recently been screwed over by Delta’s gate-check baggage policy, although we did at least receive our bags the same night. It seems like they create false shortages everywhere when straightforward bookings with clearly planned baggage allotment would go a long way to clean up these problems.

34. SexCpotatoes says:

“resort” to legal action not result…

35. antifox says:

With fees for everything the 3 big airlines posted over 100 million in profits.
    Fees are non taxable pure profit
    I will take the train or drive unless family emergency or such, I am discovering more in Calif. and Oregon.

• ryder28910 says:

Um, what? No major airline has made a net profit in quite some time.

• cluberti says:

United Airlines had a net profit of $387m USD in the *3rd quarter* of this year alone, and Continental Airlines had a net profit of $354m USD as well in the 3rd quarter. Delta, American, Southwest, and US Airways also had profit for the 3rd quarter as well, and all expect profits in Q4 as well and for FY2010 as a whole. Also, Continental and United Airlines are now one company, so that should do well for United Airlines if things continue as well, assuming they don’t totally screw up the merger (and I would agree that’s not out of the realm of possibility either).

They’ve all been down basically since 2000 or 2001 (and of course they’re notorious for not turning in profits year over year for decades as an industry whole), but this year looks like *record* profits for most airlines. And frankly a large amount of those profits can be attributed to collection of fees. You know, like baggage fees.

• antifox says:

As you know all the fees are tax free whereas a lower ticket price is subject to taxes.

• caj111 says:

The fees are taxable income to the airlines like all the other money they take in, assuming all the money taken in exceeds expenses. That said, most airlines have many prior years of net operating losses which they can carry forward and deduct against their net income, so they probably aren’t paying much in federal taxes these days anyway.

36. DanKelley98 says:

Sometimes you just got to sue to bastards. Congrats!

37. Clearly says:

Great story and good to hear the happy ending.
    For all of our benefit, perhaps Consumerist can follow up more with John.
    It seems, he did not ‘win’ because of the lost bags. Rather, he won his settled due to the fraud. Is this due to the obvious ‘lying’ or ?????
    Is our lesson, ‘catch Delta in a lie’ or is it ‘you can claim and win for grossly delay bags’ ?

38. Clearly says:

Great story and good to hear the happy ending.
    For all of our benefit, perhaps Consumerist can follow up more with John.
    It seems, he did not ‘win’ because of the lost bags. Rather, he won due to the fraud. Is this due to the obvious and repeated ‘lying’ or ?????

39. Amnesiac85 says:

Great story! My girlfriend’s father recently flew to Belarus for a business trip, and they lost one of the two bags he checked in at the airport. On the one hand, he got the bag that had his files and such for work. On the other hand, the bag he didn’t receive had all his clothes and toiletries.

It was eventually found and delivered to his house a week and a half after he came back from Europe. I still don’t understand how airlines can be just completely incompetent when it comes to this stuff. It can’t be so hard to put a bag on a proper flight! Why aren’t the different departments better communicating in terms of delayed/canceled/postponed flights?

40. donovanr says:

This is why I use soft sided carry on luggage only. When these tards can’t even figure out what the price of a flight will be on any given day why should they be able to figure out which luggage goes where.

41. lawgirl502 says:

John is my hero! Airlines suck and they don’t give a rat’s ass how your trip is as long as they got paid.

42. spazztastic says:

Would have been fun if they didn’t pay, send the Marshall to seize a 747….

43. Abradax says:

This made my weekend.

44. LHH says:

Would really like to know more details about how he presented his case. Can anybody find a link to the public records? I can’t seem to find it.

45. phil28 says:

While this doesn’t involve lost baggage, it’s a story that shows how Southwest treated my elderly parents in their late 80s. Their flight home out of Providence was canceled due to weather and they went to the luggage office to find their luggage. The clerk in the office located their bags and asked them what they were going to do next. They said they were going to find a motel.

She said “No you aren’t, it’s snowing and I’m going to take you to my home and bring you back to the airport the next morning, if that’s ok with you”. She took them to her home, made new reservations for them and escorted them to their flights the next morning after cooking them breakfast.

I sent a letter to their president and the person was promoted and won an award from the company. And as a very frequent traveler, I now fly nearly exclusively on Southwest.

46. common_sense84 says:

Finally a good informative story on the consumerist.

These are the stories we need. Things that inform us on how to fix problems and get even with companies that screw us.

47. no_wallmart says:

Great story. I hate Delta.

48. Levk says:

If we are paying for a service they have to provide it now, and if they loose the bags or damage them and since we payed them for it they have to fix the problem :) there own greed will be there downfall

49. StevePierce says:

Delta – Didin’t Even Leave The Airport

50. ChilisServer says:

I flew Delta last summer to Austria, and they tried to break into our bags. We only noticed upon arriving at our hotel and opened them. We use bags that have combination and key locks, and there’s pretty much no way to get them open without both the key and the combination. Had they asked us for the key and combination, we would have been glad to provide it (as the breakin was apparently attempted before we even left the States) but they instead tried to pry it open. They failed miserably.

I’m glad they did, too, as fellow travelers staying in the same hotel weren’t so fortunate. The people who checked their bags took shampoo bottles out of ziploc bags and made no attempt to ensure they were put back in the bags. The shampoo exploded in theirs bags and they had no clean clothes. Dry cleaning there takes 2-3 days to get back, and they were performing in an orchestra the first day they arrived. Thanks, Delta! Oh, and Delta assured them that it was NOT their fault. Uh-huh. Nice.

51. 2sail says:

In the late 90s I was on a layover in Atlanta from NY to Florida. They said we could leave our belongings on the plane. I left a newer coat, but smartly took my laptop. When I got back the coat was gone. I immediately told a flight attendant who tried to get a hold of the cleaning people. Once in FL, I reported it to luggage people who tried to contact someone, but nothing came of it. I tried once again later, but it never showed up. Never again will I fly Delta.

52. NeverLetMeDown says:

While the $2k is nice, the real moral of this story is DON’T TAKE THE VOLUNTARY BUMP IF YOU’RE TRYING TO CATCH A CRUISE!

53. MrEvil says:

I’m shocked Delta even showed up for court. You’d think their lawyer would have charged more than $4000 to show up.

Kudos to you John for teaching them a lesson. They could have solved it without getting the courts involved but they chose to continue to be insincere dicks about the situation and thus were punished for their arrogance accordingly.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’m sure that like most big companies, Delta has a legal team on salary that gets paid whether they go to trials or not.

54. peebozi says:

new TOS for airlines….

“any dispute will be handled in arbitration. Arbiter to be chosen by air line and his results are final. all rights to have an unrelated 3rd party involved are waived by customer. only our arbiter, the one we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to every year, will have the right to make a decision as to how badly you and your lawyers will fail at suing us”.