Phone Co. Wakes You Up At 6:48 In The Morning To Ask How Their Botched Service Call Went

Tom was woken up at 6:48 in the morning by an automated call from his telephone company. They wanted him to take a “how was our service?” survey.

When he called in to complain, their customer service department wasn’t open yet.

This is only their latest in a string of bungles. They’ve been screwing around with repairing his internet for a month. The phone survey was to check up on the tech who came to fix the job the previous tech had done. That guy had “repaired” Tom’s phone problem by disconnecting his line and leaving a cheery note on the door.

Obviously the answer is that there should also be automated surveys to collect data on how well customers enjoyed their automated survey experience.

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. thompson says:

I wonder if it’s a time zone issue. If the OP is on the west coast, maybe the system got confused and thought it was calling him at 9:48?

2. jeepguy57 says:

Embarq called me once to follow-up on a service call. They called me at 9:45pm. When I mentioned the time, she apologized and said they shouldn’t have been calling anyone on the East Coast. Technical glitch, it seemed.

3. kc2idf says:

I bet it’s Verizon.

Back in the 90′s, I lived in a semi-rural area that got crap wireline service from New York Telephone (which became NYNEX which became Bell Atlantic which became Verizon, but the culture has not changed as far as I can tell).

We called them to complain about static. Maybe they did something, maybe not; I don’t know. What I do know is that I got the call the next day (non-automated) and they asked me if I was satisfied with the service.

I told her “Just listen for a moment,” and stopped talking for about five or six seconds. Then I continued, “What do you hear?”

“Um . . . Static?” she replied.

“Are we satisfied with the repairs?”

“No?”

“Right.”

Sadly, I lived in the same house with a New York Telephone retiree and a current New York Telephone employee, and less than a mile from the town’s switching office.

I have taken every reasonable effort to purge Verizon from my life.

4. pop top says:

Burn the building to the ground.

5. buckeyegoose says:

My money is on its AT&T.

Did it start out like:

Hello this is…AT&T (insert state here) calling with a URGENT message. Were calling to see if the telephone repairs made to 999-999-9999 on January 1, 2012 were completed satisfactory. If not, please call our repair department at 1-800-ATT-2020 again thats 1…-800…-ATT…2020 We apreciate your business and value you as a AT&T customer, goodby.

Is it sad that i just about know the robo dialer’s script by heart?

6. PBallRaven says:

We were woken regularly at 2AM every few days by the phone ringing, but when we would answer there would be nobody on the other end. Caller ID would give no clue. After some time of this happening and requests for the phone company to trace the calls, it was discovered that their test device was periodically checking the lines, and on some types of phones it would cause them to ring. They turned off this checking on our line and that fixed the problem.

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I had the same thing happen with Citibank regarding a private student loan about a year ago. Somebody from India called at 6:00am on a Sunday morning to remind me of the terms and conditions of my loan. It wasn’t a new loan, as it was one that I was paying on for about two years and had never been late on.

I’m usually a very mellow person but I lost my cool and chewed out the rep and his supervisor and then called Citibank to complain. They were actually fairly apologetic and from what I could surmise, they outsource the generic script-reading duties to an Indian company, with people who don’t actually work for Citibank, don’t have any authority to do anything, and have no personal information outside of name, address and due dates.

8. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

More humorous than annoying … I used to have service through local carrier and had to report trouble with my line once; of course I called in the ticket via cell. Some time after the repair had been complete, the local carrier called me – on my landline – to ask if my phone was working yet.

9. ElDiablo says:

The telephone is a convenience. If my phone was ringing before 8 (pre-caller ID) or from a number I don’t recognize (post), then I wouldn’t answer it. If it’s important, they’ll leave a message. I’m not sure why such a concept isn’t more widely adopted.

• mac-phisto says:

do you find it convenient to be woken up early by a ringing phone? i don’t. & frankly, i don’t want to drag my ass out of bed to check the caller ID.

• Murph1908 says:

What’s your number? I’ll call you tomorrow at 5:00 AM. Don’t bother answering. I’ll just leave a message and try back at 6:00.

10. hotcocoa says:

I know this wouldn’t fall under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act because it’s not a cold call, but isn’t there some regulation that prevents you from being called at 8 AM (your local time)?

11. denros says:

I’m posting just to let everyone know I own that shirt, and it’s really actually green. And AWESOME.

12. TasteyCat says:

f yr phn s n t :M, nd y’r stpd ngh t nswr t, y prtt mch dsrv bng wknd.

• Blow a fuse? I can fix that... says:

Yeah, seriously! I have my phone set to silent until after my alarm goes off. Unless I happen to be awake and notice the display light up, I won’t be taking any calls until I’m awake (or, should be :-).

Also, I realized many years ago that the phone is mine, so the fact that you dial my number in no way obligates me to answer it. Plus, if I don’t, it’ll go to voice mail, and my mobile operator will send me my voicemails as a video MMS, with random animated animals lipsyncing the voicemail message.

Messages from the slimy real estate broker being delivered by a frog can really brighten your day! And I’ve had pigs, chicken, sheep and whatnot deliver various other messages… :-)

• JamesBE says:

What if it’s a house phone?

What if you leave your phone on for emergencies? I’d hate to have a flat tire and be your friend.

• RickN says:

Stupid?

I have kids in college, one son in the Army, and elderly parents. Guess I’m just a fool who’s concerned about emergencies.

• TasteyCat says:

Regardless, I stand by my original statement. If you insist on answering an early morning call, don’t complain when it’s a telemarketer or a survey or some other nuisance call.

• Peggee is deeply offended by impetulant, pernicious little snots disrespecting her and violating her personal space at Best Buy. says:

“Three words: 911. Anything you can really do in the event of an emergency that they can’t?”

Um…come down to the hospital to be with my father for his last half hour of life?

Are you trying to test the Infinite Monkey Theorem with your comments? Like if you reply into infinity you’ll maybe one day say something intelligent, if accidentally?

• TasteyCat says:

If he’s that bad off, and you get past the front desk, you’re going to do what, exactly? Specialists are there caring for him. Best case scenario is you can say goodbye… to somebody who’s unconscious. Thanks for the offer, but I see no point in going to the hospital to talk to myself. To some people, that may sound cold. If you feel that way, more power to you. Again… don’t blame me for it. Or someone calling about a survey.

• mrscoach says:

Glad I didn’t take your advice when I was called at 5:30 am that my niece had passed away and my sister needed me. I’m sure she would have been fine waiting another hour to have someone there for her, besides her husband who was also grief-stricken.

Glad they didn’t take your advice when my daughter totaled her car just outside their town and they ran to the emergency room to be there until we arrived.

13. clickable says:

OMG, they did the exact same thing to me! And to pile on the irony, the “service” was actually nothing but checking some details when I called to ask something about my account. Later that month, my phone bill thanked me for adding new features to our subscription, except I did no such thing. I called them the next morning, waited on hold endlessly, and finally made them confirm that the service had, in fact, not changed. But that was a couple of weeks after the unforgettable 6:30 AM automated call.

14. VouxCroux says:

Of course it’s OK to call then. Everyone who isn’t a lazy layabout is up by 6 to get to their job!

15. valen says:

Speaking of annoying automated phone calls… The organization that I worked with had AT&T do some service on the primary intercom telephone line. The telephone line is designed to automatically answer incoming calls and place them on the building wide paging system. We once got a “call” on the paging system from AT&T’s automated service survey system. For about 5 minutes, the automated voice on the building wide intercom said the same thing on a repeating loop: “Thank you for choosing AT&T. We would like to know about your recent service experience with us. Press 1 to begin the survey.” Several of my co workers found the experience to be hilarious.

16. brownhb says:

This happened to me on my birthday this past year. Toyota called me at 6am to say. . .nothing. It was literally a “we hope that car you bought two years ago is still nice!” call. No survey, no questions, no offers. It was my day off too! Love my car but I won’t be going back there for service. I do live in the west and it might’ve been a time zone, but I suspect it was from my local dealer who I bought from.

17. Hands says:

1. Using any number of online financial resources, find the name of the CEO.
    2. Using any number of online people search resources, spend seven bucks and get said CEO’s home phone number.
    3. Pick an appropriate hour of the day and return the favor.

18. diagoro says:

This is similar to Chase Banks automated account text message notifications……..which I’ve received more than a few times at 4am! I’m assuming it’s sent from the east coast, but the combination of vibrate more and tone jars me awake at that hour (with thoughts that it can’t be a good text)….

19. AgostoBehemoth says:

India called me at 1AM to see how my Dell warranty service was performed. I answered the phone thinking there had been some sort of family emergency – when I found out it was “Andy” from Mumbai wanting to know about my computer repair – boy did I fly off the handle!! Andy, if you’re out there – sorry.