Best Buy Closes Early, Denies Me My Video Game At Midnight Opening

Question_Sleep lived up to his name by heading out to Best Buy for the midnight release of Fallout: New Vegas early Tuesday morning. Assured by the accompanying screenshot that the nearest location would stay open until 1 a.m., he made the 25-minute drive, only to discover the store had closed up early and sent him home.

He writes:

So tonight after my friend got home from his second job, we decided that we could still make it to the Best Buy Fallout New Vegas Midnight Release, so that he could pick up his long awaited copy. The release was listed on their website to run from 10 pm – 1 am, so we headed out in a hurry to get there before they closed. We arrived at 12:36 am, the gate was being closed and locked and all of the employees were outside and getting ready to leave.

We drove 25 minutes there and 25 minutes back all to see a closed gate in our face. When confronted, one of the employees said “Well, guess you’ll have to wait ’till tomorrow.” I think the months of anticipation were quite enough of a wait and though one night may not seem like a lot of time, if you’re an avid gamer, it is. Sad to see this is how Best Buy treats devoted customers. We’re going to GameStop tomorrow.

Share your own tales of midnight shopping failures in the comments.

Comments

1. Amaras says:

And yet another reason why pirating games is so popular.

• HazyCloud says:

Umm..and why is that? Just because I couldn’t get X game at midnight, wouldn’t make me want to pirate it. If you like a game that much to go to a midnight release, it’s safe to assume you want the developers to see your money.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I’m definitely not a crazed midnight gamer, but, yeah, if I couldn’t get it legally at midnight, I’d probably grab the 0-day pirate version and mosey on over to pick up the real thing the next day.

Not midnight, but I do have some shrink wrapped games that I’ve never opened since I’ve just been playing the more convenient no-cd pirate editions.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Pirating is popular because people are cheap. It’s not because someone didn’t get the game 9 hours earlier than everyone else.

I hate the “I pirate because _____” arguments. You pirate because you don’t want to pay for something. No other reason. At least be honest, for crying out loud.

• chefboyardee says:

I pirate because I’m lazy and it’s easier. I’d honestly pay if I could do the same thing I do when pirating (search, click, have it in 20 minutes, all from my comfortable computer chair), but give someone money for it.

• AI says:

Not true at all. I’ve pirated several games to see how they ran on my hardware because I’ve been burned before. After proving they work, I’ve purchased them. PC’s are not a closed system like a console, so it’s impossible to say how a game will work on your particular system and it’s set of drivers without actually trying it.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

You’re an outlier– almost guaranteed.

I’m sure some people are like you, but piracy is really about not spending money. It’s just silly to argue otherwise.

• AI says:

Again, not true at all. Piracy for many people is about getting what you want, not necessarily getting it for free.

Example: I want to watch Star Wars in 1080p. I have absolutely no problem with paying for all Star Wars movies on Bluray (I already have 2 DVD versions, and 2 VHS versions). However, George Lucas, in his infinite wisdom, has decided to not release Star Wars on Bluray yet. So I have to go over to The Pirate Bay, and get this guy here: http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3983462/Star.Wars.Episodes.Complete.1080p.HDTV.x264-hV.3983462.TPB.torrent

When George Lucas decides to stop being a dick and release Star Wars on Bluray, I will happily spend money on it.

• mythago says:

World of Goo, which had a free demo and no DRM whatsoever, had a 90% piracy rate. I really doubt all those people were just testing their hardware and forgot to pay afterward.

• AI says:

I paid $10 for World of Goo for the PC when I’d already bought and completed the Wii version.

When developers start thinking that every pirated copy is a lost sale, they lose sight of what they did sell.

Piracy has always existed, but developers are only starting to complain because now their board of directors has a way to estimate the number of pirated copies. This used to be impossible with the sneakernet.

Look at the statistics. Videogames make more money now than every before, and are now comparable to movies. There has been no decline in profits since the advent of the internet piracy. Yes, PC sales are down (arguably because of the very DRM itself designed to prevent piracy), but console sales are waaaaay up.

• Megalomania says:

actually, while that’s largely true with video games, there are a LOT of people who “pirate” because you can’t buy stuff that is as good as the pirated copy. If you download a 1080p MKV, you can play it on any of your computers, or change the format until you have something your machine can play. If you buy a blu ray disc, you’re shit outta luck if you want to watch on anything other than a blu ray player. Due to licensing issues, you can’t even play it on a stock WIndows install (don’t even ask about Macs – you’re never going to have a blu ray drive because one guy [Steve Jobs] decided you don’t need one).

So, either content producers can keep selling gimped products or they can let people use what they pay for without jumping through hoops and breaking laws. Go fuck yourself with your “all pirates are cheap” propaganda.

• Difdi says:

I used cracked software myself. I buy the original version, then go get the crack. Why? Because in many cases, I have legal rights to do certain things with my purchase, and the DRM blocks those. So I get a version without the DRM after buying the DRM-laden one. It’s easier than suing, say, SONY over their violations of copyright law (the same law that guarantees SONY their rights, also guarantees certain rights to the customer…so how does SONY get away with DRM that violates customer rights?)

• andrewe says:

Pirating is not just about money.

DRM is about control and maximizing profit by reselling the exact same product over and over to the same person in different formats and different regions. Basically a ripoff. But the image below illustrates perfectly why many people pirate even if they own a legal copy.

• Preyfar says:

Yeah, no. That makes me annoyed at Best buy, not enough to rip off the developers of the game. What’d they do to piss you off? Best Buy did this shit, not the devs. Screwing over people who had nothing to do with this sort of action is irresponsible at best. And THAT is a reason people hate pirates. They’ll use just about ANY excuse to justify their means.

• Difdi says:

Pirate the game, then send the developers mail with money in it, and a note explaining what the money is for. Morality is solved, convenience is satisfied, and no developer gets ripped off for the crappy behavior of a retailer.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

AND the developer probably gets more money by cutting out the middle man.

• roothorick says:

You still pirated the game, from a legal standpoint. And now you just sent the developer a written confession. That can’t end well for you.

• bigTrue says:

not to mention if you’re using a console, it’s a big pain to pirate games for them unless you’re willing to do a lot of hoop jumping.

Spend hours downloading, making a disc, setting up a second modded Xbox just for pirated non-online games…oh, wait….DLC, which is going to be even more huge in this version of Fallout then Fallout 3, which was super huge….

Yeah, it was 60 bucks well spent so I could come home, pop it in and play a few minutes later after getting my little bonus DLC for preordering.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally pirate the shit out of movies, tv and music, but console games are more trouble than they are worth when part of the reason you play them is for online multiplayer content.

• Red Cat Linux says:

Actually, I’ll purchase the game, then play the arrred copy. Why? Less problems.

Yes, I’m quite serious.

• Chaosium says:

Oh please. Steam is 24/7.

• DarthCoven says:

I don’t have Steam on my Xbox360, the platform I intend to play F:NV on. My computer just doesn’t have the specs to run it properly.

• shufflemoomin says:

No, another reason for pathetic pirates to attempt to justify theft. I assume you’re one of them?

2. Raekwon says:

I would avoid the game until all the game breaking bugs are fixed anyway. Learned that lesson with Fallout 3.

• squirrel says:

Wait.. they fixed the bugs with Fallout 3?

I had to give up on that after the downloadable episodes slowed the game down so much it now loads up just so it can freeze.

• Dre' says:

You need to try the unofficial patches.

If that doesn’t fix your problem, you probably need a new PC.

• skrolnik says:

And that’s why I’ll only ever get a Bethesda Softworks game for the PC, and not for the consoles. The hobbyist support in the form of the third-party modding community for the PC versions of their games is nothing short of astounding. In both their flagship franchises, Elder Scrolls and Falllout, any game killing bugs that slip past to the release version of the game/expansion pack/DLC usually have unofficial patches within a week, often days before Bethesda corrects the problem on their end.The added replay value those same third-party modders provide is just icing on the cake.

(And yes, I know that Obsidian actually did the development on this latest Fallout, but they did it using Betheda’s development tools to run on Bethesda’s game engine, so everything said above still applies.)

• jefeloco says:

This one is developed by Obsidian, not Bethesda. Good luck with those bug fixes.

A note to those who have never heard of Obsidian, they get hired to make sequels and rarely finish their games; the ones they do “finish” are eternally plagued with bugs that make their games unplayable.

• user452 says:

Agreed, I don’t buy games that have bugs.
      I always wait a couple of months before even considering buying a game, and if they’ve released a “patch” during that time to cover up their lousy programming, and inadequate testing, I just pirate the game instead.

I don’t understand why anyone would line up for a midnight release, it only encourages video-game companies to overhype and rush their games onto shelves.

3. Scurvythepirate says:

Sooo the OP refused to shop and one crappy store and is now going to shop at another crappy store?

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’s a tough situation.

From a manager standpoint, I can see the benefit to business and the employees to let them leave early when no one is there at the store. Likely, few if any came for the release, and if they did it was a mad rush at 12am and then a ghost town.

• stock2mal says:

If that were the case, then the manager could have stayed with one other employee in order to close the store, while sending the rest home. Had the manager said “hey, we didn’t get a lot of games, they sold out then it was a ghost-town,” I don’t think the OP would have had a problem.
      The store said it was open late for a special reason, they should adhere to the schedule that was give to consumers.

• warik says:

I’m sure that corporate would consider having only two staff members on hand while the store is open an extreme loss prevention issue.

• bigTrue says:

The gamestop by me told people you had to be in by normal close time (10pm) to “finalize” payment. The guy who rang us up around 7pm laughed and said he just closed everything down normally, went home* for an hour, then showed back up at midnight and handed everyone the games in about 10 minutes before heading back home.

*home being he made a nodding motion to heading to the restaurant next door for a beer or three.

• I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

The mistake would be keeping it open ’til 1am, then.

5. Larraque eats babies says:

What’s wrong with letting employees go home early after all the customers who were there for the midnight release were done?

Your arrival at 12:36 and complaining about it only means that employees will now be required to stay until 1am for midnight releases – resulting in unhappy employees.

• Judah says:

I have no sympathy for employees here. They are paid to work. If the store was advertised to be open to 1am and they are getting paid on the clock until 1am, then that store better be open at 12:36am

• 99 1/2 Days says:

BS. You don’t need a full crew to stay open late. You need two, three people.

• MMD says:

You’re really supporting the store’s decision to act in direct opposition to their advertised special hours? Really?

• Red Cat Linux says:

God forbid that stores be held to their advertised hours of operation. WTF, son? Logic fail.

What’s wrong is that it speaks to relaibility. You don’t post hours of operation and then toss them out the window without pissing customers off.

The posted time of closing was in fact 1:00am. How is staying open until the posted closing time going to result in any unhappy employees who were not already unhappy?

• dpeters11 says:

So if you need to make a quick run to a store, and they are closing up 30 minutes earlier than advertised, you’d be fine with it?

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

my best guess –
      first, corporate decides the hours for the store’s midnight release, people rush at midnight, then everything dies down. the manager makes a decision to save on payroll and close early (a decision that would have most likely been supported by corporate).
      and it probably won’t be a “now everyone stays until 1am!” deal, more likely it will either be “if you’re not in line by midnight, no sale” or “sorry. no midnight release party”

• fatediesel says:

When I worked at Sears we’d occasionally stay open until 11:00 for special sales (which were usual nothing great). We’d never get customers after our normal closing time (9:00) but no matter what we had to stay open and keep employees until 11:00. It was a corporate rule that stores couldn’t close early unless it was a safety issue, like a really bad snow storm, and even then they had to get corporate approval. If Best Buy advertised this as open until 1:00 I’m sure corporate would be upset that they didn’t stay open until 1:00.

• andyg8180 says:

Wrong! if a store is supposed to be open till 1 and no customers are around, do final cleanup, send all the employees home except for the manager and maybe one other employee…

If you needed medication from the pharmacy at 130am and you saw they were open til 2am, you show up and they are leaving early, would you be okay with that? yea i know its a video game, but biz is biz…

6. ehrgeiz says:

Pre-order/buy the game off steam then you don’t have to do anything but unlock it.

• Talisker says:

Came here to say that. I’ve never had to wait in line for a game via Steam.

• grucifer says:

Maybe you didn’t use steam when it first came out but boy was it a pain in the ass, haha!

This is what I did too, and I think I’m the only person running Win7 x64 that hasn’t had problems running the game. :-0

• dwrichards says:

I also have it off of Steam on Win7 X64 without any issues. I have seen some minor bugs (characters stuck in rocks and unable to target them) but no computer issues as of yet.

• Burzmali says:

Steam new releases don’t unlock until 10 a.m. PST (I think, it could be slightly earlier) on launch day. At least, that was the case for Fallout 3 and Bioshock. That’s why I got them from D2D, since they let you DL promptly at midnight.

• MrEvil says:

It depends on what time zone the publisher wants to key off of. Valve releases at Midnight Pacific which is 3AM on the East coast. Can’t say I blame them since they are after all based in Washington state. When I pre-ordered Bad Company 2 I was able to unlock at midnight Central.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Not sure he mentioned the platform he was buying it for. Could be a console in which case steam isn’t really an equivalent solution.

• FrugalFreak says:

I never download, you cant resell a download, have better chance with a physical copy. This downloading costly software is crap. I pay, you provide disc, box, whatever.

• MrEvil says:

I’ll give you the resale argument, though it’s rather moot considering it all comes down to personal preference. I never resell games, even on console. And I hate having to put up with keeping track of physical media. Boxes are just more clutter and more filler for my garbage can.

7. grucifer says:

Seriously? The store does shoppers a solid by re-opening or staying open late.

Of course, they are going to close down as soon as everyone has cleared out and no new customers are pouring in to purchase the game.

I think you’ve put your expectations of a mid-night release way too high. Though next time maybe you’d have some luck by calling the store and telling them you’re on your way?

• FS1 says:

Exactly. If nobody was around, shortly after the midnight release, it makes sense to go ahead and close the store. You don’t wait for people who may not even show up in the next hour. Working in retail, I can tell you that only a small percentage of customers ever actually picked up something they requested be put on hold (or pre-ordered).

The margin of profit on selling one or two more games by staying open another hour or so (“maybe” sales, at best) is too small to stick around for when you are paying employees, and have other closing procedures to account for as well. Generally, you can pretty much assume that any midnight release really means that they’ll be open at midnight to sell whatever item the release is promoting, and when they run out of product, or all customers have been served, they’ll close up immediately.

• Earl42 says:

Maybe I am crazy, I don’t know. But maybe, just maybe, the store in question shouldn’t advertise that they WILL BE OPEN UNTIL 1 TO SELL THE GAME! God forbid someone who wants to buy something during established hours of operation actually be able to count on the business being open. It doesn’t matter if it is 12am or 12pm, if you say you are open you should be open! Lets pretend for an moment that you get off work at say…5pm. You need to get a part for your car, or a toaster, or a package of party hats. The store that sells said part/toaster/hats advertises that they are open until 6. When you arrive at 5:30 the employees are locking the door because all of their customers had left and they tell you to wait till tomorrow for your part/toaster/hats. THIS IS THE SAME THING! IF YOU ARE OPEN…BE OPEN!

8. smashedpotats says:

preorder on amazon.. release day arrival.. problem solved

• uberbitter says:

I’ve heard from quite a few people that it never actually arrives on release day for them. Seems like a gamble.

• portwineboy says:

I use preorder release day shipping from Amazon since they rolled it out, and every single game has arrived on time, on release day. i do live in the metro NYC area tho.

• sqlrob says:

I did FO:NV release day Amazon, got it release day (granted, around 6:30 PM)

• SixOfOne says:

Didn’t actually have that when they were first taking preorders for New Vegas (as far back as July), as my roommate discovered when we selected the release date arrival for Fable 3. She’s pissed.

• ahleeeshah says:

My boyfriend preorders his games on Amazon with regular free shipping to get the rewards that are usually associated with it (gift cards and the like). He then buys the game from Best Buy or whatever on release day so he can play it. When the Amazon one comes in, he returns the Amazon copy to Best Buy or Wal Mart for the money.

9. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Mein Gott,

OP will have to wait another 8 hours to play a game?

Horror of horrors! Besides, if he really drove 25 minutes to pick up a game, odds are that his time isn’t nearly as valuable as he believes. I’m betting college or grad student.

Because that’s when I did that kind of stuff. Just be glad you got to chill with a buddy, go home, sleep, and wait 8 hours.

• Djwei says:

It can’t really be a case of blame the OP when the website states the release events are until 1PM.

Wasting almost an hour to drive somewhere at midnight is an hour of sleep you could get, I wouldn’t want to be in that situation, and I’m sure you wouldn’t want to either.

10. goodfellow_puck says:

The real problem are the stores who advertise this nonsense and make their employees stay out that late 9and probably schedule them to open the next morning, too). How about they go back to have a release IN THE MORNING when the store opens?

For the OP, I’m sorry but I have zero sympathy. I’m a gamer too, but being hardcore only gets you rewards like this: Getting upset over something totally petty.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Doesn’t matter the product. Do not advertise a closing time and do a different one.

• DH405 says:

Go sit in a corner for 50+ minutes, and paypal me the gas money for a 50-minute round trip drive. THEN let me know if it’s upsetting/annoying.

11. bsh0544 says:

Could have Steam-downloaded it that night and been on his merry way.

12. Xenotype51 says:

“We’re going to GameStop tomorrow”

I’m sure you’ll have a much better experience with them.

13. Ck1 says:

used to work retail and i can tell you exactly what happened… Not enough people showed up to make it financially reasonable for them to stay open until 1AM. Corporate leaves the option to close early up to managers. if you complain, they will look at the numbers and realize that management did the right thing. although i think they should have listed the hours correctly (10pm until 1pm… check with store for exact hours) but the sale of a couple of video games does not pay for the cost of keeping the store open.

• camman68 says:

Stores should remain open during their posted hours. End of Story.

Best Buy does these “events” all the time. If they don’t plan on staying open until 1:00am, they shouldn’t post being open until 1:00am.

• d0x360 says:

Exactly. It costs them money to keep people around. They lose money on midnight launches for all but the biggest games. Games like Halo, Call of Duty, etc. Fallout is a big game but not the kind of numbers that will make staying open a profitable thing.

• mbz32190 says:

Agreed that it probably isn’t economically viable, but the site should at least have a disclaimer saying “at participating stores” or something like that. With so many Best Buy’s around me, I can understand not wanting/needing to have them open late.

• ajlei says:

I work at a bookstore and sometimes we have midnight events. We never post end times, per se, but if someone asks we’ll usually say that we’ll be open about half an hour after midnight or until stuff dies down.

I think it’s safe to say that with any extended-hour event like that, one should call ahead before driving 25 minutes to somewhere after midnight.

14. MDSasquatch says:

I have a copy of Modern Warfare: Black Ops on order for my PS3 through Amazon. Free shipping and it will be delivered on the release day; I am going to sit on my couch and await its arrival.

Too easy

• DoubleEcho says:

Did the same thing with FFXIV. Got it around noon (and already had the patches downloaded via torrent, just waiting to be applied!)

15. soren121 says:

Steam FTW.

• thor79 says:

Yes Steam FTW…unlike other times I’ve preordered on Steam, they moved up the unlock time, so instead of having to wait until after work the day of release, I got to play it for a bit at 2am when it unlocked here in Chicago. Spent the 2 hours before that reading the strategy guide I picked up at Gamestop at the midnight launch. Why get a physical copy when Steam has the electronics version? Because it’s a lot easier to refer to a physical copy mid-game. Hard cover too.

• user452 says:

Yes, Steam Fuck The World indeed.

16. GenXCub says:

At this site, when are we allowed to stop reading (or stop the incredulity) as soon as we see “Best Buy x’d my y by not doing z?”

We all know Best Buy F’s in the A whenever it can.

This could be a Sesame Street episode. Brought to you by F and A.

17. HannahK says:

Normally at midnight releases, you get there early and line up, then at midnight the employees hand out the games and ring up everyone in line. Once everyone who showed up has gotten their game it wouldn’t make sense for the store to stay open. The store isn’t extending their hours to 1 am in general, they’re just staying open for the midnight release. Obviously they had to choose something as the upper limit for when they would stay open, so they put 12-1 on the website.

If he wasn’t in line at midnight, then he missed the midnight release. It would have been lucky for the OP if there had still been a line at 12:30 that he would hop into, but Best Buy was not in the wrong by closing once everyone who showed up at midnight was satisfied.

• MMD says:

Don’t advertise you’re staying open til 1 AM if you’re not staying open til 1 AM. Period.

Why is this so hard to understand?

• jayelle says:

I think I mostly agree with this. Midnight release means just that — be there at midnight if you want your game. The employees are doing you a favor; if you (or your buddy) have to work ’til 12:15, you can’t make the midnight release, sorry.

Then again, I worked the midnight release for Halo 2 back in ’04 (wow that makes me feel ancient), and that one ran well past 1 AM. Our manager got the Haagen Dasz ice cream stand to open (we were adjacent to the food court) and we had a raffle to give away some Halo-themed controllers and stuff…it was a darn PARTY. The sales clerks were ASKING to work the event, it was fun for us too (all being fairly hardcore gamers and such). So I think if Best Buy had handled it a little better, staying ’til 1 wouldn’t have been so onerous for the staff.

18. d0x360 says:

Could it be possible they closed because nobody was there to buy anymore copies? Maybe the line outside only took 20 min to get through and since the line was gone and the employees were no doubt tired they decided that was it and it was time to close up.

When you go to a Midnight launch you should be there AT MIDNIGHT. The store only stays open till it kills the line, if you arent there when the last person in line is taken care of then you lose. Even Gamestop doesnt stay open till their advertised time on a 12am launch if the line is gone.

USE YOUR BRAIN. Im sorry that you wanted to avoid waiting in line by showing up late but the only reason they posted a time at all is because they legally have to. However they can close anytime they want.

• MMD says:

They legally have to post a closing time but they don’t have to abide by that?

• Chaosium says:

“They legally have to post a closing time but they don’t have to abide by that?
        That’s one of the more illogical statements I’ve read here in a while…and that’s saying something.”

Oh please, it’s not that confusing. They do *have to* post a closing time (“legally” is a strange way to put it) but they can, depending on demand and availability close early.

19. sirbo says:

This happened to me a few years ago when Guitar Hero: World Tour came out. I went to the store for the midnight release, but the store was closed and everyone was gone before midnight. Doesn’t matter that I pre-ordered it, nor that the website said this SPECIFIC location would be open until 1am. You couldn’t pick the game up until after midnight. I called Best Buy, and said I should have called the store first. Just because the website says it (and the reward zone website, and I got specific emails saying this location would be open) doesn’t mean it’s true.

Screw em, I’ll get my $0.99 release day shipping from Amazon.

20. DanRydell says:

While I feel bad that he wasted so much time driving, this is how midnight releases generally work. People line up before midnight, and at midnight everyone gets their game. When the line is gone they close – there’s no reason to stay open longer. They put 1:00 a.m. on their website because they don’t actually know what time the line will end. Perhaps they should have put 12:00 on the website, though that may have also confused people.

21. vizsladog says:

If this is the biggest problem you’ve got this week, you don’t have any problems.

22. craptastico says:

the store should have stayed open for the hours advertised. i don’t see any arguing that. that being said I can’t imagine tattling to the consumerist abou this. get a life. sometimes things don’t work out the way they should. move on. more and more the consumerist is turning into a tattle website for people that want to cry to mom every time something doesn’t work out for them.

• MMD says:

Maybe by drawing attention to the issue, the OP will ultimately cause a policy change and save others the hassle of dealing with stores that can’t be bothered to honor their advertised hours.

• Danjalier says:

If Phil thought that the OP was tattling, and said tattle wasn’t worth writing about, you wouldn’t be reading the story here.

Whether the item being purchased is a video game or a bottle of Benadryl to stop an allergic reaction that is causing you extreme pain, the store was supposed to be open until 1 AM. You tell the op to move on and the op has. However, a store did not honor their operating hours. That’s a big deal, regardless of what the store sells or at what time it’s selling it.

Besides, tattling on a store doing something wrong, or at the very least making a customer’s life difficult for wanting to shop during store operation hours, is a very good thing. They need to be held accountable for pulling stupid stunts like this. Could it have been a more serious issue? Absolutely. But it is an issue regardless.

23. davidsco says:

OP needs to camp out over night in line to buy a life instead

24. brianisthegreatest says:

Oh, console gamers. You sit there in your comfy living rooms, playing with your happy meal toy controllers. Who bought this on the PC and didn’t have it preloaded and ready to play with extra goodies the night it went active? Steal PC gaming market share I say. Bring the family together and you can all enjoy that new XBox game. I hope you all enjoy retail stores you have to drive to for the physical copy as well. Makes me smile a little inside after being persecuted as a PC gamer.

But seriously… Call ahead? I don’t believe the store finder shows Fall Out: New Vegas hours of operation. When you see an ad that says they will be open at midnight you still should understand this may not be happening at all locations.

• RogerX says:

“Makes me smile a little inside after being persecuted as a PC gamer.”

Dude. I’ve been a PC Gamer since 1988, and don’t own an Xbox or PS3.

That’s still the whiniest comment I’ve read all day.

• brianisthegreatest says:

Cool story. I guess you don’t have to argue with your friends what platform you’re all getting the new game on, or hear from anyone about how the pc is dead and there aren’t any games for it. I’m not really sure what you’re saying. I’m not really sure why it matters that you have an xbox or not.

Most importantly, who played pc games in 1988 and still calls people “Dude”.

Clearly, RogerX, wears Hawaiian flower tshirts, lives with dad and plays computer games. He doesn’t have an xbox. The sky is blue.

• BuntaFujiwara says:

How is leaving the house to “drive for a physical copy” is a negative in your mind? Is being social in any way a bad thing? And your “pre-loaded” game doesn’t mean much when Steam and a few others don’t unlock some games at midnight (10a.m. next day). Why so much anger at console gamers? And why so pro-digital distribution? Do you like buying games and not owning them? Not being able to trade the game in, lend the game, back up a copy of the game all so you don’t have to drive 5-10 minutes to get a game?

Also, persecuted…really? You really feel persecuted for being a PC gamer? The Jewish and African Americans were persecuted, you are far from that. I love games as much as the next guy, but please don’t make it out like someone is nailing you to the cross for your choice in gaming platform.

25. milty456 says:

1. Based on this blogs stories on Best Buy in the past, why are you even still shopping at Best Buy?
    2. Could have pre-ordered it at many other places and not had to make a 25 minute trip.

26. Slackerchan says:

I don’t want to be rude to Question_Sleep here but quite frankly if he wanted to get the game at midnight he should have arrived on time regardless of the 1am statement on BB’s website.

Besides, if you are an “avid gamer” you don’t shop at BB unless you have no other option. Steam or Amazon your purchases people: you’ll be happier in the long run.

27. topgun says:

Get a life dude.

28. yagisencho says:
  29. ITDEFX says:

Ok……..

What’s the point? You are still going to get it the next day…or did the employee tell you that your actually going to get it on Wednesday since they told you that you are getting it tomorrow when it was already after midnight on Tuesday Morning?

30. ToddMU03 says:

Dork.

31. buckeyegoose says:

Easy fix, next time post the following:

DISCLAIMER: WE RESERVE THE RIGHTTO CLOSE EARLY ONCE, 1) SUPPLY IS EXAUSTED, 2)EVERYONE IN LINE AT 12AM HAS BEEN SERVED 3)DUE TO REASONS OUTSIDE OUR CONTROLL UPTO AND INCLUDING WEATHER,DELIVERY DELAY, ECT…

Supplies are limited, customer must be in line by 12:01am to be considered part of release party.

This not only will generate some hype, causing people to be there at or before midnight and may even spur some impuse purchases of outher items while awaiting the midnight release.

32. Rocket says:

Amazon Prime + Amazon’s release day shipping pre-orders FTW!

33. Ducatisti says:

Hey look, there’s a store phone number on that screen capture! Why not call and see if they’re sold out before we drive half an hour? No? Then it sounds like you were just up for a midnight road trip and not that interested in picking up the game anyway.

Sure, stores should (and usually do) stay open during posted hours, but with a release party it’s a different ballgame, the store is typically just open to sell that one item, and once they’re gone, the store closes.

34. JMarie says:

How hard would it have been to advertise Midnight release and require everyone to be in line at Midnight or make it clear that it was subject to end early for insufficient demand? You advertise until 1, you stay open until 1.

35. EcPercy says:

Cancel the pre-order and go somewhere else to buy the game… It’s really that simple… Oh and STOP SHOPPING AT BEST BUY

36. jiubreyn says:

Ouch! As a Fallout-whore myself, I completely understand how you are feeling. Can’t say that I would’ve driven away so quietly though.

May I suggest pre-ordering online next time? Amazon does release day delivery for free. ;)

37. MacUser1986 says:

Or you could just wait, I mean it’s just a game and this comes from an avid gamer as well.

38. Corinthos says:

My best buy did this with FFXIII midnight release they were posted on the best buy rewards site as a participating store. Went out there at 11:50 and maybe ten people in line. We are waited til like 12:15 then called gamestop to make sure they were still open and went there.
    I’ve also had walmart have a sign for 12:01 release and show up and the person told me they usually don’t unpack the games til around 4 am. I asked for a manager and he went all the way to the front to see the sign then they had to go into the back. At about 12:30 I finally had my game.

39. ClaudeKabobbing says:

get a life

40. VaultDweller says:

Sorry, I’m with the OP on this one… probably because Fallout 3 is my favorite game of all time and I went to GameStop at midnight to get New Vegas. If the store says it will be open till 1am, it should be open till 1am. Best Buy sucks, but I understand his frustration.

And why all the hate for gamers who are psyched to buy a new game at midnight the day of release? People get excited for books and movies that are released at 12:01am, I think it’s fun. It’s not for everyone, but I don’t think you need to be called a lazy shiftless slob because you’re willing to delay sleep to play an awesome game.

41. Blind Cynicism says:

If only people would be this diligent in the classrooms or when voting for politicians. Go to bed and buy it in the morning. You (probably) won’t die in those few hours.

42. Ben says:

“I think the months of anticipation were quite enough of a wait and though one night may not seem like a lot of time, if you’re an avid gamer, it is. “

The OP needs to grow up. And he should’ve called the store first.

43. frak says:

It’s just a video game.

44. Spooky says:

So why are you going to a store to buy a steamworks game, download it!

45. arisena says:

I have to toss this out there.

I have worked at retail stores when we have gotten one or two customers during an entire 9 hour work day. Does my store maintain a profit? Yes. Usually we are much busier. Did we get sent home early? No. Posted hours are posted hours. Plus in the off-time the clerks and even the manager got in on some shopping cart races. Made funnier by the fact that they are half size (I really actually wouldn’t recommend it, they tip a lot easier).

I don’t care about the “poor employees”, I have had a friend, with a lot of skills, searching for a job for 7 months. If they don’t want to stick out the last 30 minutes, my friend will. The management made a commitment to staying open until 1am and they didn’t follow through, simple as that.