Some Walmart, Kroger Store-Brand Peas & Mixed Vegetables Recalled Because You Are Not Supposed To Eat Glass

On Friday, the Pictsweet Company of Bells, TN, announced a recall of some of its products containing green peas — and sold under the store brands of Kroger and Walmart — after the company learned that some of the packages may contain glass fragments.

Products subject to this recall were distributed only to Kroger stores in the Southeast United States and Walmart stores throughout the United States and include the following items:
* Kroger 12 ounce Green Peas (UPC 11110 89736)
Production Codes of 1440BU, 1440BV, 1440BW, and 1600BD

* Kroger 12 ounce Peas and Carrots (UPC 11110 89741)
Production Codes of 1960BD and 1960BE

* Great Value 12 ounce Steamable Sweet Peas (UPC 78742 08369)
Best by Dates of July 20, 2012; July 21, 2012

* Great Value 12 ounce Steamable Mixed Vegetables (UPC 78742 08026)
Best by Date of July 15, 2012

If you own any of the above products, you should return them ASAP to the place of purchase for a full refund.

Consumers with questions may contact The Pictsweet Company at 1-800-367-7412, extension 417 toll-free from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time, Monday through Friday.

The Pictsweet Company Announces a Voluntary Recall of Frozen Green Peas Due to Possible Health Risk [FDA]

Comments

1. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Oh sure…now where am I supposed to get my daily allowance of silicates?

2. blogger X says:

“…Because You Are Not Supposed To Eat Glass”

Says who?!?!?!?

3. Alvis says:

Well, I dunno, mom. I’d LIKE to eat my vegetables, but it just seems too risky, doesn’t it? Better just move on to dessert.

4. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Damn, another Shards O’ Glass recall!

5. Jen says:

Am I the only one seeing Hugh and Laurie as the company executives discussing the merits of adding glass to their bags of vegetables, as a ways of including more roughage in their customers’ diets?

Probably.

• Doubts42 says:

Hugh and Laurie? Do you mean Fry and Laurie or am I missing something?

• Nidoking says:

No, this is obviously referencing a conversation between Greg House and Prince George.

“I believe the patient is suffering from acute botulism.”
        “Well, it certainly IS well-rounded and firm, but I thought you were examining her stomach.”

6. jesirose says:

I just think it’s amazing how much more effort went into designing the packaging for Kroger :)

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Yeah, it’s kind of a recent redesign.

What’s weird is that I was buying the generic before the redesign but felt that the new design made it look more appetizing, at least on the packaging. I knew it was still the same food and wasn’t going to taste any different but it still looked like it should taste better.

• jesirose says:

The Kroger one definitely looks better than the Great Value. The kroger design reminds me of the Archer Farms (target) brand in design.

It’s peas. They’re all gonna taste the same, especially when you put them in a casserole :)

• Megalomania says:

I would suspect walmart is completely aware of how unappealing the “great value” packaging is but chooses to leave it that way. If they have better margins on name brand products still, they could “scare off” customers who are willing to spend more by still having an option for the people who can’t afford the pricier option. It would be fantastic price segregation, so I assume Walmart is savvy enough to do something like that.

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Sadly, “there’s glass in my vegetables” is now a legitimate excuse for a kid to not eat his or her vegetables. Just don’t feed them to the dog or cat.

8. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Yeah, I’d just finished off a bag of Kroger’s frozen peas Sunday morning and found out about the recall Sunday evening.

I’m assuming I’m OK since I’m not spurting/peeing blood.

• SagarikaLumos says:

It would be a medical miracle for ingesting glass to make you pee blood. Miracles do come in both good and bad varieties.

9. PLATTWORX says:

I agree. Each time I see the “Great Value” packaging at Walmart, I cringe.
    So unappealing. Screams “cheap and unappetizing” That label may be fine for toilet paper or household cleaner….. it is TOTALLY wrong for food products.

Damn, it’s already full color packaging…. doesn’t cost more to use nicer artwork and a better name.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

they should rebrand all of their store-brand food products to “CHEEP FOOD”, preferably done with a simple black-on-white logo/packaging. no photo, with a description of the ingredients below.
      CHEEP FOOD
      presents
      Peas ‘n’ Glass

10. brianary says:
  11. HungryGal says:

Stop & Shop have an ultra-low end generic brand now called “Guaranteed Value.” Its even uglier than Great Value. Stop & Shop are capable of very nice store brand packaging- the Natures Promise products come to mind.

12. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Wait, why isn’t there any victim-blaming here? It’s a recall so where are all the people who insist that recalls are only to protect stupid people?

Shouldn’t someone be insisting we should have checked our vegetables for glass in the first place?