Verizon To Start Selling iPads Later This Month

In a move that might give credence to the latest rumors about a Verizon iPhone, Verizon announced today that it will begin selling Apple’s iPad tablet device on Oct. 28.

However, to get the iPad to work on the Verizon network, you’ll need to use a minor work-around.

Explains USA Today:

Verizon Wireless won’t sell the 3G version. Instead, it will sell the Wi-Fi version, with the option of bundling it with a “MiFi” gadget for about $130. MiFi, a Post-It-pad sized, battery-powered device, connects to Verizon’s 3G network and relays the data to the iPad via Wi-Fi. Data plans will start at $20 per month for 1 gigabyte.

That $130 for the MiFi add-on is the same as the current price difference between the WiFi iPad and the ones that offer access to AT&T’s 3G network.

Verizon to sell Apple’s iPad [USA Today]

Comments

1. Arcaeris says:

So they’re just selling the regular iPad, with an optional 3G modem?

I guess this is news? Couldn’t you just buy the iPad somewhere else, and come in and buy the modem?

• teke367 says:

Without a contract, I think a MiFi is more than $130, and I don’t think you need a contract with this (I didn’t see it specifically mentioned in the article, but you don’t need a contact with the AT&T iPad, so I assume its the same).

Even without the price reduction on the MiFi, this is pretty clever if only because some people probably never thought of doing this, and would like to. WIth Verizon packaging it all together, its pretty simple, and that’s the draw of iOS products, simple.

Though, lugging around a MiFi device does still give the edge to the AT&T version. I know, a MiFi isn’t big, but its bigger than nothing.

• mrstu says:

I dunno… one could argue that, until apple/AT&T allow tethering from the ipad, verizon has the better deal here, since you can also get your internets on with your laptop/DS/PSP/whatever with this…

• jessjj347 says:

Can this be bought without contract for wi-fi only?

2. rewind says:

Not a bad deal.

3. OrtizDupri says:

Why couldn’t you just buy the $500 WiFi iPad, sign up for their MiFi service, and get the wireless MiFi router free (as you could in the past with a 2-year plan)? Total cost: $500.

4. dush says:

The modem is probably more expensive if you don’t buy the iPad from them.

5. deathbecomesme says:

Business must be bad if they are going into the womens hygiene products!

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Verizon to Start Selling a Data Plan for iPads With a Work-Around Device Attachment”

Fixed that for you.

• fantomesq says:

I agree – can’t beat the convenience of having it built in. AT&T’s comes sans contract – just month to month – so you only pay for the months you use it.

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

$20 for 1 GB seems like a bad deal compared to AT&T’s 2 GB ($25), unless you’re in an area in which you can’t get AT&T.

• fantomesq says:

Most users will fall under that 1GB cap so it simply provides a price break. Keep in mind that this is a contract though so you are paying every month probably for two years. On the AT&T deal, it is prepaid month by month and you can turn off the service when you’re not using it… and there’s no extra box to tote around.

8. Virginia Consumer says:

The mifi is a way better deal anyway. You can run any wireless device with that including a laptop, ipod touch, or even an iPhone (assuming they use wifi).

If you do more than just casual browsing though I suspect you may need the higher priced data plan.

• fantomesq says:

MAYBE its a better deal based on your usage. If you need to run additional devices off of it, its a good deal. If you don’t want to be stuck to a contract, want to have the ability to only pay for service SOME months, want either a higher data cap or a lower monthly fee or have everything built into the tablet, its not such a good deal.

9. perkonkrusts says:

Oh dear God I’m old and useless, I have no idea what anyone is talking about. If you gave me one of these things I’d put it down and back slowly away so it wouldn’t explode. I’m very fortunate to have figured out how to post this comment.

• Dustbunny says:

In my day , we didn’t have iPads. We had to walk to the top of a mountain — barefoot & in the snow – and get stone tablets to write on.

10. HunterJoules says:

Is it just me or does it seem like the posters invent a new tag each time they post a new story?

I’m not sure they completely understand what the purpose of a tag is.

11. StuffThingsObjects says:

If only I wasn’t a dirt poor college student, I would totally buy one of these and regret the purchase immediately but tell everyone how great it is.

12. Tim says:

Could they, at the very least, make a compact version of the MiFi thing that plus into the iPad’s 30-pin connector?

13. cashxx says:

For now its a workaround, I think its a start of a future relationship to hopefully see native iPhones, iPads, etc on Verizon’s network!!! Then everyone will have an easy choice to pick instead of all the Android phones flooding the market and mixing everything up. Nice having a choice but there are just too many. i like Apples way, here are a few options pick the best one for you. Android its here is a 1000 options pick the best one for you, to many to compare and decide.

14. Sandstar says:

Oh hai, Apple ad. Hope Consumerist got paid well to run it.

15. Tim says:

It’s like selling something as a “camera phone,” but really just selling a phone with a separate camera that can wirelessly transmit photos to it.

16. RonDiaz says:

So this is exactly what you could do since day 1…another day another nonstory.

17. hansolo247 says:

Or, you know, if you want an iPad so bad, just buy the wifi one and use it with your rooted Verizon Droid phone.

No extra money for Verizon each month that way.

I want a tablet that I can load my own stuff on with minimal hassle…like copying stuff to it. The iTunes shackle is so 2002.