CEO Says Delta Doesn't Like His Company's "How To Avoid Bag Fees" Ad

Scott Jordan, CEO of Scottevest, a company that makes, among other things a giant pocket for your iPad, is telling the world that Delta rejected his company’s full page ad for a jacket that has so many pockets you’ll be able to “avoid extra baggage fees.”

You can watch him explain the situation on YouTube, below.

Meanwhile, Delta is positioning itself as the airline that “still has the passenger’s back,” (via black and white footage of airplanes and lovely Donald Sutherland narration) so we suppose that might have caused some cognitive dissonance. Just a theory, though. In any case, this tactic probably sold more giant iPad pockets than a Delta in-flight magazine ad would have, so congratulations to Scottevest.

Comments

1. CaptCynic says:

Ok, I can’t watch this video right now, but I’m presuming he wanted to advertise in a Delta publication. If so, I don’t really see the problem with this. They don’t want something in their own publicaiton that speaks negatively of them. This kind of thing happens all the time. Most companies will filter out negative messages about themselves anywhere they can. Many companies regularly delete negative comments about their company on their company-owned message boards. It doesn’t make them evil. There’s plenty of other reasons for that.

• The cake is a lie! says:

It wasn’t disparaging towards Delta at all. It merely suggested that if you have to check an additional bag because of all the extra gadgets you have to take with you, then this jacket can help you avoid that by putting them all in a legal carry on.

• DH405 says:

I can’t read your comment right now, but I’m presuming that you were saying it’s their right or something. Yeah, maybe, but that doesn’t make it NOT an amusing story.

• peebozi says:

There’s actually only one reason a publicly traded corporation acts…PROFIT. Go ahead, disagree intelligently, I dare you!

2. danmac says:

That vest looks great! Until some morbidly obese person wearing the same vest comes crashing down in the seat next to you, pulverizing $2,000 worth of technology.

3. The cake is a lie! says:

That is too funny! I think it is a great idea, but not really something that helps you avoid excess baggage fees. I travel all the time and am able to fit all of the gadgets this jacket would carry in my backpack. This jacket won’t make my backpack un-necessary until they put a laptop pocket on it.

If you want to know how I avoid baggage fees altogether, then what you should do is get a carry on sized bag which doesn’t fit in the overhead, but is still small enough for nobody to really notice that it is too big by eyeballing it. Then carry it on the plane and gate check it. :) I’ve been doing this all year and have saved myself upwards of $500 in checked bag fees. I still carry on my backpack and I will still be getting one of these jackets at some point just to make my stuff more accessible than digging blindly in my backpack under my feet, but it is nice to beat the system when you can. A checked bag fee is just ridiculous anyway… They have baggage space on the plane for a reason. It wasn’t meant to be a profit center for the airlines. You don’t see rental car companies charging you if you use the trunk, do you?

• EarlNowak says:

Scottevest definitely has a jacket with a laptop pocket. It may not be in this particular model, but I’ve heard road warriors swear by them.

• Beeker26 says:

“You don’t see rental car companies charging you if you use the trunk, do you?”

Please don’t give them any idea, mmkay?

• wrbwrx says:

Uhaul charges you extra to use their “tools” i.e. moving blankets, handtrucks, etc.

Gas companies charge you extra for “their gas”, they have a new fee if you drive under a total of 30 or 50 miles.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Yeah, but that makes sense. You are using something that you could provide yourself. Using the trunk of my rental car just seems like a given. Using the trunk of the plane is just as much of a given. I mean seriously…

• The cake is a lie! says:

Actually, it is Taxi cabs that I’m worried about. What happens when they start charging you to use their trunk?

4. sirwired says:

If I was Delta, I would have rejected the ad too. It’s their magazine, they can choose which ads they want to carry. According to Delta, there was an ad that was initially approved but it said nothing about luggage fees. At the last minute, this new ad was submitted and it was rejected.

And in any case, the stuff they picture the jacket holding are NOT things you would EVER check, nor are they particularly bulky items. I have a feeling that this is just a jacket with a lot of slim pockets. Not putting really slim items in your backpack or laptop bag is NOT going to enable you to avoid checking.

• SChance says:

I have one of the early versions of this jacket. The pockets are *not* “slim.” When I first started using this jacket, I went from carrying a backpack to work everyday to only carrying my lunch bag.

These garments are (or at least, “were” – my coat is seven years old) extremely well-designed, as well. I weighed the jacket at one point with all my gear in it, and it weighed 20 lbs – but didn’t feel heavy at all when wearing it.

My only problem is that I’m afraid to wash the coat . . . I’m not sure I can get everything out of every pocket!

• DavidCopperballs says:

The point, though, is that if you pocket the things that you would normally put in carry-ons, you have more room in your carry-ons for the things you’d need to check.

5. nybiker says:

I’ve seen the Delta ad where they talk about being a better airline (or words to that effect). Yeah, not happening until they (and the rest of the industry) stop all their despicable practices (e.g. exorbitant change fees when changing a mistake or even changing a flight 3 months in advance; slicing & dicing the flying process to the point where your left hand holds your id and your right hand has a cash roll big enough to choke a horse).
    /just my opinion, I could be wrong.

6. DarksSideMoon says:

With all this airline hate I have to ask a question. Can anyone give me an idea on how the airlines can still operate as a profitable business and somehow make people not hate them anymore?

• ChuckECheese says:

Hate is the new customer service.

• evnmorlo says:

Naked stewardesses.

• chucklebuck says:

They should just stop playing games. Don’t oversell planes, sell exactly the number of seats you have and charge for them what you need to. Don’t charge “baggage fees”, build the price of baggage into the ticket price. Build food costs into the price of the tickets. Yeah, it’s gonna be more expensive and some people will choose not to fly, but those that do will not hate you anymore because you’re being straight with them.

Maybe it’s just me, but anything that involves me having to try to “game the system” is something I try to do as infrequently as possible, because it’s just annoying. Buying cars from dealers, flying, etc.

• Chili con sumerist says:

It seems to me that they are being more straight with us now: it costs them money to transport baggage, provide food/drinks, refund tickets, etc., so they charge for those things. Whether they build them into ticket cost or charge directly for them, you pay for them. The only difference is that now they at least give you the choice not to incur that cost.
        This is not to say that they’re not horrible, horrible corporations who generally seem to hate their customers. I’m just saying that there’s a certain honesty in charging a la carte.

• jonquil says:

Be JetBlue. Or Southwest.

7. maxx22 says:

I have a few of Scottevest’s products. They can be expensive. I’ve returned some because of size issues but generally, they do what they claim. Lots of pockets that hold lots of stuff. (Of course, if you aren’t reallly well organized, you can actually lose things that you can feel but not find the pocket entrance!).

Anyhow, if you are in no particular rush, their stuff goes go on sale on a rotating basis. Check their website.

8. jonquil says:

I took my Scottevest jacket with zip-off sleeves to Europe and used it instead of a purse. Fantastic. Phone, wallet, glasses, book, everything I routinely carried all close at hand and hard to pickpocket.

Every time I’ve flown Delta it sucked.

Sadly, I have never made my own airline at home, and I don’t have access to the fabrics required to create an imitation Scottevest. I am not a true Consumerist.

9. Difdi says:

I own a photography vest that I use for exactly this. It has the capacity of a medium to large purse, but isn’t a bag, it’s a garment. You are not charged charged fees on your garment choice by the airlines (yet).

10. Aaronjk says:

Delta, we’ve got your back! If you pay us!

11. filet o. fish says:

Revenue from advertisement: $50,000
    Revenue from baggage fees: $250 million

I think I see why they made this decision.

12. Captain Walker says:

You’d think he could have found a friend . . . or a coworker, to hold the camera for him.

13. ChuckXIII says:

I have a ScottieVest Jacket I bought for a trip to Ireland. The jacket is so sweeeeet. Such a breeze going through security, just lay the jacket in the bin and walk through the metal detector.

14. tanyaandkarl says:

Scooter: Hi, Delta, I would like to purchase advertising space on your inflight magazine.
    Delta: Whatcha got?
    Scooter: Well, y’know how you’ve been taking a lot of heat from all those little fees?
    Delta: Yeah…, well, they add up; we’re kinda having money problems, you know.
    Scooter: Well, we thought we’d mock you in front of your customers for that
    Delta: But… a lot of our customers already don’t like us. This will just…
    Scooter: You’re way ahead of me! So, our ad shows them how they can beat you, the enemy…
    Delta: I don’t think we’d wa…
    Scooter: Wait, wait–so they beat you at your own game by just purchasing our product.
    Scooter: And they get to be all smug about it, too because you’re not just greedy, but also stupid!
    Delta: Yeah–well, maybe we’ll pass on that one, but thanks, anyhow.

15. Gizmosmonster says:

I love ScotteVest stuff. LOVE it. The company makes fantastic products, and has a sense of humor about it.

I hate flying Delta. They have no sense of humor, or humanity.

16. BrightMinds says:

All airlines are such mean, money-making thieves. In the UK we have ‘Ryan Air’ that once decided to try to charge people for using the toilet and charge them for two seats if they’re fat.

They also got in a lot of trouble earlier this year for offering a customer a sandwich when he had recovered from a heart attack mid-flight. That’s good right? Yes well it’s a shame they refused to let him off the flight until he had paid for it!