Worst Company In America Trophy Mailed To Comcast

We are super-duper late in mailing out Comcast’s Worst Company In America trophy so we decided to spice it up with a disco lightshow for the award and a nice congratulatory letter.

10/5/2010

Dear Comcast,

Congratulations on winning the coveted Consumerist.com reader-awarded Worst Company in America prize. Mazel tov! (We apologize for the delay in sending this letter. We know how frustrating it can be to wait around for something that never shows up.)

Your consistent dedication to providing low-quality service at ever-rising prices, and aversion to upholding basic internet principles while also buying off Washington and lobbying against net neutrality has earned you a place in our hallowed pantheon. Kudos!

After several years of making it to the final rounds only to be squeezed out at the last minute, in 2010 you leapt ahead to clinch the brass ring, represented herein as the Golden Poo. We hope that it may find a place as special as the one reserved in our hearts for you. Perhaps on a mantel over a perpetually burning fireplace, or next to the Newton’s cradle on Brian’s desk.

On behalf of the entire staff at and readers of The Consumerist, I salute you.

Sincerely,

Ben Popken
Managing Editor
The Consumerist

P.S. Why’d you get rid of that Frank guy? He was great.

bluedisco.jpg

pinkturd.jpg

poofromabove.jpg

catleavesapresent.jpg

All ready to go. Next stop, post office!

PREVIOUSLY
Congratulations Comcast; You’re The Worst Company In America!

Comments

1. savvy9999 says:

{golf clap} well done! {golf clap}

2. womynist says:

Gotta love the last pic of the cat walking away…

• PencilSharp says:

A-HA! So that’s what kind it is!

But, what else would expect from Tax Cat’s household?

• neoeinstein says:

I totally saw that as a monkey’s paw at first. Left me thinking, where the heck did the monkey come from? Is he going to throw the poo?

• jiubreyn says:

I loved it as well; for several reasons. ;)

1. It looks like a Russian Blue (reminds me of my own tit-teh) and 2. it gives the impression the cat dropped the golden deuce. Rawr!

3. darascon says:

“We apologize for the delay in sending this letter. We know how frustrating it can be to wait around for something that never shows up.”

Somehow I don’t think they’ll get it.

4. TehQ says:

Oh man what a zinger, love that!!!

5. Rectilinear Propagation says:

Maybe Frank just got a better job.

6. smo0 says:

I love it!!!

7. qwickone says:

I love it! I love everything about this post :)

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If Comcast really cared, the CEO would keep it on his desk as a reminder.

9. humphrmi says:

I always wonder what the companies do with it when they receive it.

• RandomHookup says:

I think there’s a box in the mailroom that contains misaddressed magazines, handmade socks sent to the VP by someone at San Quentin and random awards from random blogs made out of golden colored metal.

• Taliskan says:

They will spin it and use it as PR: We will display this as a comic reminder to do better each day for the sake of our customers, blah blah blah.

• dreamfish says:

Wouldn’t it go in the cabinet in reception along with all the other awards?

• mac-phisto says:

i envision the CEO keeping it in a glass case in the main hall of his 114 room mansion, so he can show it off at lavish dinner parties with various corporate executives. i imagine his favorite line is, “i screw over my customers & not only do they keep paying my ridiculously large salary, but they also shower me with gilded gifts.”

10. Raekwon says:

I am finally moving away from Comcast. I spent 2 hours in chats and on the phones trying to get my rates reduced and they refused to do it. Well technically the chat guy was willing to do it but he couldn’t get their computer system to work. The phone person flat out said no and that she didn’t care my price doubled.

I’d rather pay a similar price for better service and more channels at their only competitor in the area.

• bobosgirl says:

I just had this problem, and here’s what I did that got me a $25 credit and smaller price plan for a year plus free Starz. I compiled the complaints i have bitc##*g about under my breath about for over a year and called in and asked where I could give feedback on their HORRIBLE “live chat/” The lady who answered the phone directed me to http://www.comcast.net ( notice- NOT the .com) and go to the bottom right of the page where it says “contact us”. You will get a page asking you whether you want to contact customer service, press info or investor relations. Click cutomer service, then scroll to #6- Feedback- Email Rick. I gave all my info, very clearly listed each specific complaint and then at the end I listed what i thought was a reasonable solution. ( Like in the case of their livechat, which is outsourced and the employees barely speak English), This was about 7:45 am. I had a call on my cell by 10am from a very nice lady in customer escalation, who left her direct phone number. I called her back, we chatted, and she gave us a $25 service credit, a $10 a month cheaper price plan, and year of free Starz. I still hate Comcast, but it was nice to have someone actually act like my complaints mattered, and get such a quick response.

11. taney71 says:

Can I have the light?

12. momtimestwo says:

I’ve had Comcast for 10 years (was @home then Comcast bought them) and I swear I’ve never had a problem with them in all that time. Service has been great and I can’t complain. I guess I’m fortunate to have never had a problem.

Love the picture, the lights remind me of an old LightBright I used to have when I was a kid in the early 70’s. That was my favorite toy ever!

• Bativac says:

You are fortunate. They’ve raised my rates, lowered my internet speed, tried to stick my wife for a cable box one of their subcontracted techs took…

If there was another game in town for high-speed internet, I’d be gone!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I found a Lite Brite, with pegs and some unused design sheets, at the flea market for $4. Yes, it came home with me.

That’s what the light looked like to me, too.

13. olderbudwizer says:

Oh I can imagine Brian’s discussion with his echelons as they gather around his table….”LOOK what WE won! Now, can someone here tell me how we eat this thing?”

14. drburk says:

You just use this award as an excuse to write a sardonic letter.

15. Macgyver says:

This whole worst company in america was a joke.
    I’ve never had a problem with them. Not once.

I hate when people say that they have no choice between providers.

There are worst companies out there. How about all the banks, financial companies, car makers, who got a bailout, where Comcast got no bailout.

• jason in boston says:

Where I live, there is no competition. It’s comcast or dial-up.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

OK, everyone, listen up!

Next year, Macgyver is the ONLY ONE allowed to vote in TWCIA polling! No one else’s experience or opinion counts!

Now everyone try to remember that for next year, please.

• frank64 says:

I really think the worst company in America award from the Consumerist should be about how a company directly treats its customers, and not taxpayers. In this Comcast is a worthy contender. I took issue with last years award because it WAS about the bailout. AGI from what I can tell treats its customers fine, the bailout was about another division.

• macnbc says:

Some of us DON’T have a choice between providers.

I live in an apartment complex where sateliite dishes aren’t allowed.. and yes, that is legal, because we have no balconies, and the building is historic so there’s no way they’d let anyone bolt it onto the brick exterior. Therefore there is no space that falls under the “exclusive use and control” clause under the FCC mandate.

FiOS is available in my town, but not my neighborhood, and Verizon says they have no plans to bring it to us.

So for TV, unless I want to only watch what’s available from rabbit ears, I have absolutely NO choice but to go with Comcast.

Comcast knows damn well that they’re my only option too so I’ve been screwed over by their shoddy service on more occasions than I can list in this post (like the time my internet only worked intermittently for 3 MONTHS despite nearly DAILY conversations with executive customer service personnel.)

• frank64 says:

There are people are some people who have never had a problem with BOA either. Actually I have their card and they have treated me OK. It doesn’t mean I think they are a great company, I know they suck, they just haven’t sucked for me yet. You need to look at how a customer is treated in general, and how you are treated specifically does not negate the others experiences.

• KTXL says:

I agree with your statement that the large banks are worse than comcast, but:

“If people don’t like their prices, leave. There aren’t the only ones that provide internet, and tv.” Yes, yes they are.

“You have a choice to go to satellite.”
      For TV, I suppose. But satellite internet is abysmal.

“I hate when people say that they have no choice between providers.”
      People have no choice between providers.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

“If people don’t like their prices, leave. There aren’t the only ones that provide internet, and tv. You have a choice to go to satellite. I hate when people say that they have no choice between providers.”

I have satellite internet. It’s either that or dialup. It’s $50 a month, with 512kbps TOPS speed. I had to pay $200 to install it, and sign a 2 year contract- Never mind the weather interruptions that might blackout my internet for hours. So no, usually satellite internet is NOT a viable solution. Sure, in theory, there MIGHT be other options… but they are (most likely) only going to make your payments go up, or your service decline– Or both.

People say they have no choice, because they DON’T. You think basic internet/TV needs. Some people use their homes for businesses, or just want a nice internet connection to stream movies from Netflix. Doesn’t matter what their use. Dialup CANNOT handle that load, neither can satellite unless you want to pay $360 a month for what i’m sure Comcast is charging $50 for. (And I’m pretty sure your connection would still be shotty) I have no choice, and I don’t live that far from a main highway that supplies it. I don’t even have the option of Verizon Wireless internet- no signal.

The people spoke, they chose Comcast. STFU and revel in the beauty that is the golden poooooo.

• cigsm says:

So you just listed 3 other alternatives before you said you have no alternatives?
        Just because you don’t like the features of the alternative providers doesnt mean they dont exist. They DO exist, you just prefer Comcast’s service. So yes, you DO have other options.

• megafly says:

They are “alternatives” in many cases the same way the train is an “alternative” to an aircraft. It’s much slower and way more limited, but it is, theoretically, an alternative.

• jessjj347 says:

They’re not alternatives, because they’re not the same products. It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Comcast is the ONLY cable provider in my area. No others!

• cigsm says:

No it’s not. It’s like comparing Apples to Apples.

You see Satellite is a service that provides….TV & MOVIES
            Comcast is a service that provides…TV & MOVIES
            Netflix is a service that provides….TV & MOVIES
            iTunes is a service that provides…TV & MOVIES

You see where I”m going with this?

• dangerp says:

Way to rile up the wolves… Here’s my .02

This whole worst company in america was a joke.
      I’ve never had a problem with them. Not once.

– Congratulations! You deserve a prize! In all actuality, Comcast is fine -until- you have a problem. It’s their abysmal attitude towards helping their customers that got them the award. If your internet never goes down, the installer actually hooks your stuff up right, and you don’t get sent to collections for a billing error on their part they neglected to inform you of (yes, that happened to me)

I hate when people say that they have no choice between providers.

– lol. You are either really ignorant, or a troll. Price isn’t the issue. Not to mention that Comcast has forced monopolies in many areas, including the last 6 places I have lived. My current house has no DSL, no other internet or TV options except for satellite, which I thankfully was able to get (wasn’t allowed satellite at my last residence). Even so, I’m stuck with them for internet. Certain apartment dwellers can’t even use satellite at all. And satellite internet isn’t really a valid option.

– If accepting a bailout is your definition of bad consumer practices then maybe you don’t really understand the point of the contest. Also, those bailouts were so last year. AIG took the heat for that already, now it’s time to move on to a company that truly seems to despise it’s customers (as opposed to taxpayers).

• mistersmith says:

For some of us they ARE the only game in town: I can’t hang a dish on my apartment building.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Obvious troll is so…obvious. Please people, do not feed the trolls.

• MrTreoZ says:

Comcast got no bailout? Why would they need it?! I give them nearly $200 a month to have a wire into my house. I bet the would be fine billing me $50 a month and I’d be fine paying them $125 a month (for my old line-up that I recently trimmed to keep under $200). It’s the Comcast customers need the bailout. I’m staying with them because (though not the only player in town) they offer what I want. Sure, they’re screwing me by overcharging, but they’ve got me by the short ones. This practice doesn’t earn any praise from me – just earns them $200+ a month for my Triple-Pay.

16. anarkie says:

I got away from Comcast for TV and phone last year. Unfortunately, AT&T can’t complete a simple DSL order, and DSL only is WAY too expensive for AT&T to fight much for it. So…I’m stuck with Comcast for internet. At least it works, which is more than I can say for their TV service.

• JakeChance says:

OMG same thing happened to me. Cable sucks and is over priced but at least if I expect the bare minimum of it working, it’s better than the more affordable AT&T DSL which never comes.

17. Minneapolis says:

Why was it mailed to Comcast when Bank of America more certainly should be the intended recipient?

18. ZzFDKzZ says:

Hahaha

19. The cake is a lie! says:

Now if they respond telling you to shove your award up your ass, you can tell them it has already been there. :)

I am 100% in support of this award! Comcast delivers crappy service and never has an award communicated as much. I’m sure nothing will change and nobody will care, but it is incredibly satisfying to know that someone with a loud voice has let them know what a large population feels about them. I wait with bated breath for their response (which should arrive between October 10th and December 15th)

20. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

Awesometastic, Thank you for the light show. However I think you should have sent a hand drawn picture of a spider instead of the award.

21. Muddie says:

Either that cat is huge or the trophy is smaller then I always imagined it was.

22. outoftheblew says:

Why does the reflection in the second photo from the bottom look like a penis?

• The cake is a lie! says:

I feel bad for whoever owns the penis that you think the reflection resembles. It must have been involved in some sort of horrible blender accident or some seriously abusive self inflicted pleasuring.

23. outoftheblew says:

Why does the reflection in the second photo from the bottom look like a penis?

24. noahproblem1 says:

I think the award should have been hand delivered on a speciified day between 12 noon and 4 PM…

25. JoeTheDragon says:

Comcast still has not fixed the lack of CSN + on the dta and it was on analog cable in late 2009 no they want you to pay $7 per tv. That Frank guy say we will try to work on that and look at him now!

Now comcast wants to buy nbc? what’s stoping them for moveing nbc chnnels to the higher level that needs a full box on each tv at $7 /m to rent. It’s still in stater but we just took it off the dta.

26. Razor512 says:

Hopefully it goes to a an address where it will have more direct access to the CEO and not a low level office where a grunt worker will throw it out.

Anyway good luck in sending out and lets hope the comcast CEO displays it proudly. They truly earned it.

27. HogwartsProfessor says:

Bwaa ha ha ha ha ha!! Good one!

28. Pinget says:

Another reason they deserve this award is the sexist tv ad they’re running in the Southeast. The setting is an auditorium college class. The prof shows pictures of SEC football mascots (elephant, tiger, bulldog, alligator), then asks the class where they may be found. Ditzy girl raises her hand and says, “A petting zoo?” Then the intelligent guy raises his hand and says something about SEC football. I don’t know what he said because I’m always too angry at that point.

• FeelinFroggy says:

uhm…uhhhh…Either I just had a brain fart or I am stupid….because I have no clue WTF you mean. Seriously, I’m in awe…

• crazydavythe1st says:

How is that sexist? It’s sexist now to depict any female whatsoever in a negative light? What about all the “buffoon husbands” on TV and in commercials?

29. Cicadymn says:

God speed little poo.

30. crazedhare says:

I wish this letter was less filled with banal generalities and took more of Consumerist’s own advice to readers and stated what should be changed. This just reads like a form letter, it says absolutely nothing really. It complains in generalities, suggests no specific change. I would so laugh if I received something this silly and unprofessional.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

This just reads like a form letter, it says absolutely nothing really.

That’s the point. It’s not supposed to be a real complaint letter, it’s the “You won the WCIA” letter. It wouldn’t even make sense to send a serious letter along with a poo-trophy.

• crazedhare says:

If someone really wants change, it makes sense to tell the target what is wrong. If someone wants to drive up page views for drivel, it makes sense to send out awards shaped like poop and say nothing. I guess I know which one Consumerist wants, hah!

31. AgitatedDot says:

Why would they keep Frank? No matter what they do they will be the company that everyone loves to hate.

32. biggeek says:

Their reply:

“We’re Xfinity now, so it doesn’t count.”

• momtimestwo says:

I hate that name. It doesn’t roll off the tongue right, and I feel like I’ve subscribed to a porn service.

33. Rachacha says:

So Consumerist, can you promise on WCIA 2011’s letter to include a snarky line like like “Your commitment to ineptitude places you along side such companies as Comcast and AIG”

34. Admiral_John says:

Has there ever been a response from a company that received the award?

35. parv says:

Seems like somebody is smitten with their own poop given multiple images of the polished thing,.

36. Pax says:

… you know, the “golden poo” is actually considered a good luck charm in Japan (where it’s known as the “kin no unko”, IIRC).

37. Wiggs says:

Has anyone else seen their new joke promotion?

Comcast reps talk about how great they are at customer service, and how they’ll do amazing things like credit your bill(!) if their tech misses an appointment!

I laughed so hard. It was better than most of the stuff on Comedy Central!

• asten77 says:

Well, what they meant was the 4 employees they showed in the commercial are good at customer service. They didn’t mean *all* of them, obviously. That’s just silly!

38. stevekuze says:

Very Well Put!!! – “We apologize for the delay in sending this letter. We know how frustrating it can be to wait around for something that never shows up.)”

39. jcargill says:

It will get passed around to various call center reps who will utter a flat “I’m sorry”, then get lost.

40. IamSpartacussss says:

on the political side of comcast there the devil, but ive had comcast for years now, and although they do raise a rate here and there,overall the quality of HD they provide is the best and last year i lowered my internet from 12megs to 6megs and i get a call 6months later from comcast telling me they have bumped my internet back up to 12megs with a 15meg boost at no additional cost, which i found out this past monday, because a tree fell on my cable line and ripped it from my house, which had damages but no much but comcast paid for it to be fixed since they thought that it should have been supported better, so overall comcast is the devil, but im happy with them plus with me my fiance and her cousin living in one house we switch names every 6months for the new cusomer package, so up your commycast but love the HD

41. crazydavythe1st says:

Consumerist Readers,

We here at Comcast sincerely value the feedback of our customers. Rest assured, we are taking this issue very seriously. As a courtesy, we will waive our normal support fee in regard to this issue.

[Insert comment regarding customer issue and how Comcast is working to resolve issue]

Thank you again for being Comcast customers. Viva la Cable!

Sincerely,