Continental & United Make Their Union Official

Just two weeks after shareholders for both United and Continental Airlines gave their blessing, the two carriers snuck off to city hall this morning to officially say “I do” so they can get around to screwing… up the airline industry.

In an e-mail sent to frequent fliers of the newlyweds, it was explained that — for the time being, folks from the United side of the aisle should continue to book through United’s site and use United kiosk at the airport; and Continental kin should go on using Continental’s site and kiosks.

As for how long it will take before this Brady Bunch gets over its newlywed jitters, here is what the couple had to say:

Integrating two airlines is complex. We expect the full integration of United and Continental to take between 12 and 18 months. However, during that time, you will see improvements in your travel experience, and we are committed to making the new United your carrier of choice.

Comments

1. jdmba says:

Yay … now there’s 1 less airline I don’t fly!

2. MarsVolta187 says:

I’m a United 1K flier, I love their airline and I fly no other. Since I’ve never flown Continental I’m not sure how to feel about them, but I would bet that United doesn’t change much other than their livery.

• spazztastic says:

I’ve flown Continental and Delta, and have no complaints about either. Continental, however, has often gone out of their way for me and my family.

3. techgeekwill says:

I drive by Continental HQ every day. Well former HQ.

I noticed all the employee’s were out front taking pictures in front of the sign. Poor b@st@rds.

4. Yenier says:

This is a sad day. Continental has been a great carrier and I’m so sad to see it merged. What a monopoly : Delta or United? I think I’ll stay home.

5. MFfan310 says:

Wonder if this new management means Fort Wayne’s small but oh-so-convenient (especially when given the alternative of flying from/to Indy) airport will get another destination from United besides O’Hare for the first time since the early 1980s. Then again, old Continental did ditch Fort Wayne last year, so I’m cautiously optimistic.

6. grumpskeez says:

Voltron!!!

7. spunkmonkey says:

I am typing this with as much sarcasm as can be read into it. I am completely confident that this merger will lead to the planes leaving on time more often, nicer gate attendants, and lower prices.

8. jesirose says:

BOOOOOO. Ick.

9. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

My folks have United miles and just received a notice that a whole slew of them would be expiring earlier than expected. To make sure they didn’t lose them, they are taking a 3-week trip to Italy in 11 days.

A bummer that they were forced to use the miles earlier than expected (they were saving them to visit family for the holidays), but at least they get a trip to Italy out of it!

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Honestly, I think your parents are misunderstanding the email. The miles may be expiring, but they don’t need to USE them, they just need to generate some activity in the account. Could be as easy as buying something through their online mall, or donating 1000 miles to a charity. In any case, they could just book the holiday travel now. That being said, holiday travel on miles can be a dicey proposition.

10. godospoons says:

OP: “so they can get around to screwing… up the airline industry.”

Really? No one will take this blog seriously if it throws out unsubstantiated comments like that. It might *sound* clever, but as there’s no evidence that this merger will screw anything up in the aviation industry, it just makes itself a pointless antagonist.

I hope, for United and its employees, that this is a smooth integration that balances the desires of the shareholders, management, employees and passengers.

11. Shadowfire says:

I told you last time you should have used the Go-Bots for a more appropriate picture. Way to listen. ;-)

12. FenrirIII says:

I admit it, I just clicked because I saw Voltron.

13. Rob says:

The use of Voltron on this post is degrading to Voltron. The united / continental merger has not resulted in a space-faring ass-stomping mega robot. It is at best an immobilized Roomba. Since the merger I have personally experienced the following:

1. Obscenely long hold times on the phone with reps.
    2. Uninformed representatives who don’t actually know how their own web site works.
    3. Droped multiple times while being transferred to someone who may know what they are talking about.

Living in Houston, we were dedicated Continental customers. I had no idea United was so dysfunctional. Apparently the shareholders that approved this merger have some kind of brain damage, or (most likely) the execs really cleaned up on this deal. Sad.