Interactive Graph Of Bank Failures Like Watching Nuclear Impact Zones

The one joy of WSJ’s otherwise mirthless interactive graph showing bank failures across the country from Jan ’08 to present is that when you slide the time scroller back and forth, it looks like, as Marketplace’s Paddy Hirsch just tweeted, looks like a series of nuclear impact zones.

You can also drill down to individual banks to see how much they went belly-up for and what happened to them.

Toss on some house music, scroll to the beat, and you’ve got yourself your very own recession rave.

Failed Banks [WSJ via @paddyhirsch]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

For some bizarre reason, the terrorists thought Kansas City should be ground zero. Maybe they misread reports on the location of NORAD?

2. APriusAndAGrill says:

what happened in GA? I didn’t even think there was enough money in GA to open a bank.

3. notlazyjustdontcare says:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

• evnmorlo says:

Actually playing with government-insured money means you can’t lose.

• TheRealDeal says:

Not quite. It means that your depositors can’t lose. However, a large number of the shareholders of the banks will end up losing everything.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Bravo on the War Games reference. I award my portion of the internets to you today.

4. Scamazon says:

Am I crazy or were there a lot more banks that failed before 1/25/2008. It appears that WSJ is skewing information or I need to up my meds…

5. veg-o-matic says:

I’m retiring to North Dakota.

Sugar beets and Byron Dorgan’s combover to accompany me through old age.

6. NeverLetMeDown says:

Much more useful if you use the Resize Circles dropdown and select “cost of failure to FDIC fund,” which shows that a lot of those circles are really tiny numbers (less than $10 million). Some, of course, are much bigger (IndyMac at $9 billion, for example).