Similac Baby Formula Recalled Because It May Contain Chunks of Beetle

Certain types of Similac powdered baby formula have been recalled because of, as the FDA delicately puts it, “the remote possibility of the presence of a small common beetle in the product.”

From the recall statement:

Abbott is recalling these products following an internal quality review, which detected the remote possibility of the presence of a small common beetle in the product produced in one production area in a single manufacturing facility. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined that while the formula containing these beetles poses no immediate health risk, there is a possibility that infants who consume formula containing the beetles or their larvae, could experience symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort and refusal to eat as a result of small insect parts irritating the GI tract. If these symptoms persist for more than a few days, a physician should be consulted.

Recalled formulas include:
* Certain Similac powder product lines offered in plastic containers.
* Certain Similac powder product lines offered in sizes such as 8-ounce, 12.4-ounce and 12.9-ounce cans.

To immediately find out if the product in your possession is included in this recall, go to similac.com/recall/lookup.aspx, and type in your lot number to determine if the product is affected, or call (800) 986-8850.

If your formula is among those with recalled lot numbers, it should be returned to Abbott at no cost.

Abbott says that none of their liquid formulas are included in the recall. Neither are the company’s powder and liquid specialty formulas, such as Similac Expert Care Alimentum, Elecare, Similac Expert Care Neosure, Similac Human Milk Fortifier, and metabolic formulas for inherited disorders.

Abbott Voluntarily Recalls Certain Similac® Brand Powder Infant Formulas That Did Not Meet Its Quality Standards [FDA.gov]

Comments

1. Beeker26 says:

I dunno, I think they’re missing out on a wonderful marketing ploy. Just call them something like “essential chunky proteins” or “protein clusters”. Voila! Instant sales success!

2. KrispyKrink says:

Substitute with boobies. It’s what kids crave.

3. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

I don’t know what the big deal is, it’s just “natural flavoring”.

4. fuceefacee says:

You never hear about mothers milk being recalled. Better for the baby than Similac any day, with or without beetles.

• Rachacha says:

When my wife was nursing, her doctor told her to take Tylenol w/ Codeine for the pain caused by childbirth (her Dr knew she was nursing, and this was our first kid). When we took baby for the first checkup, the Dr. asked how things were going, and my wife responded that everything is fine, he sleeps all day. This caused the pediatrician to dig deeper. As the Dr. was asking questions my wife put 2 and 2 together that the Codeine was making it into the breast milk, and we were forced to dump her breast milk for the next week (including the stuff we had frozen) to ensure that the codeine was out of her system. The pediatrician called the OB/GYN and yelled at her for perscribing such a strong med. and not telling mom that she should not breast feed. So yes, breast milk can be recalled!

• Blueberry Scone says:

!!!!!!

MAJOR fail on the GYN’s part! Holy crap, that’s awful, and it was one of my worst fears when I was in the hospital with both kids. You’re exhausted and groggy and just not yourself after just giving birth, you know? It’s hard to be proactive if you’re in the hospital room by yourself when the doctor swings by for a checkup.

• pterrell says:

Some mothers are unable to produce enough mothers milk to sustain the baby…

• JohnnyP says:

Our doctors told us that statement is BS. The body produces depending on how quickly it is used.

• kalaratri says:

Your doctor’s wrong. Although the majority of women can produce to demand, some can’t for hormonal or physical reasons.

• RAtwins says:

Most may be able to, but not always. My wife was able to pump enough to support our twins during the day but we needed to supplement at night with one bottle of formula before bed.

• Mulva says:

I’m all for breastfeeding and I was fortunate that it was relatively easy for my baby and me, but I completely understand that some people just can’t breastfeed – one reason being ADOPTION.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Breast feeding is way better for babies than formula is. But breast feeding is difficult and time consuming and the fact that doing it in public is frowned upon by so many puts many moms off of it, either totally, or sooner than they would’ve otherwise. If they anti-breastfeeding in public crowd would chill and breastfeeding in public would become totally accepted and supported, the rate of breastfeeding in this country would go up. And this would be a wonderful thing for our population.

• human_shield says:

When we were breastfeeding there was no anti-breastfeeding crowd. The only people who ever objected were occasional old ladies, and all they did was glare.

Other women found it endearing, store employees were helpful to find you a private, quiet seat to do it, men were understanding and respectful.

Just because a couple of fast food restaurants make national news because they kicked out a breastfeeding mom doesn’t mean society is against breastfeeding. In fact I’d say it’s the “in” thing right now.

• Blueberry Scone says:

“In fact I’d say it’s the “in” thing right now.”

Yes, yes, and yes, and I’d say it’s almost to the point where you almsot feel like you really HAVE to.

I think the trend of breastfeeding is really interesting, actually. My mom says that when she had my sister and me (early 80s), formula was the way to go, and only the really poor women/hippy dippies actually breastfed.

When I gave birth to my son just this last May, one of the lactation consultants at my hospital told me how overwhelmed she was (in a good way!) – they were consistently providing lactation services for something like 75% of all the moms who were giving birth in the hospital. I actually wonder if the breastfeeding rate was closer to 100% – some of those moms have probably already had kids before, so they knew how to breastfeed, etc., and so they didn’t require any lactation services.

• lettucefactory says:

Yeah, I would agree. I’ve had two kids since 2006. The first was totally breastfed. The second was formula-fed. I actually got more comments on the second one, no question. “Why aren’t you nursing?” is a more likely interrogation now than “Why are you nursing?” At least, it is among my upper-middle-class-blindingly-white-have-the-luxury-to-stay-home-with-our-kids-or-buy-expensive-pumps-to-take-to-work-in-our-cushy-offices-college-educated peer group.

• Blueberry Scone says:

“At least, it is among my upper-middle-class-blindingly-white-have-the-luxury-to-stay-home-with-our-kids-or-buy-expensive-pumps-to-take-to-work-in-our-cushy-offices-college-educated peer group.”

That’s an excellent point. It seems that, to me, the women who could afford formula are breastfeeding because they have the means (time and money) to do so. The women who could really benefit from the financial benefits of breastfeeding (say, they work at a minimum-wage job at a grocery store), can’t – those pumps are *expensive* as hell (although, even if you buy one new, it pays for itself and then some within a few months), and they might not have jobs that really allow them to pump in privacy. (Or, and I suspect this might be the case, they don’t want to ask their bosses for fear of being fired.)

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

And that’s exactly the kind of situation where lactation consultants can help willing and interested low-income moms. They can locate free or rental pumps, they can arm the mom with the relevant laws & regulations on employers, they can in general support the establishment of a successful breastfeeding relationship, even with moms who can’t sit at home nursing all day.

Sorry to be negative, but many low-income moms aren’t informed or commited enough to make breastfeeding work–especially when most hospitals still hand out formula samples and WIC will be happy to leap in when those run out.

(Side note: WIC should mandate breastfeeding, nutrition and cooking education as a condition of benefits, but that’s a topic for another day.)

• Conformist138 says:

uninformed, sure, but I wouldn’t say uncommitted. Uncommitted sounds like you think poorer people somehow care less about their children. It’s just easy when you’re stuck so low on the totem pole to just stop trying to look for help. You get doors closed in your face long enough and you may not think to look for help with breastfeeding and pumping. It goes right to the information bit where people used to getting little or nothing wont be quick to assume such services are out there for them.

(Note: far fewer women are stay-home-welfare-queens than some people try to claim. Most low-income mothers are working and have to fight for any extra help they get; the system doesn’t just roll out a red carpet for anyone who breeds.)

• pk says:

I wondered how long it would take someone to make a self-righteous point about breast feeding.

5. Bkhuna says:

Scoop ‘em all up, give them a new name, and send them to countries where bug parts are integral to their diets.

May I suggest they rebrand it and call it Beatlejuice?

6. axhandler1 says:

Is this only being recalled because it is baby formula? I thought that a certain amount of insect parts were permissible in food products, per the FDA (http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm). Also, “the remote possibility of the presence of a small common beetle in the product produced in one production area in a single manufacturing facility” does not sounds like a huge, issue-a-recall sort of problem.

7. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

Paul is dead. And he’s delicious.

8. sqeelar says:

In Sturgis you’d expect to find Harley parts, not Beetles.

9. Student Boy says:

Is it one beetle spread over all those products?
    Or multiple beetles?

If I had to choose, I’d guess that it’d be less unpleasant going with the former.

10. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

There is no way to contact Similac to find out if your formula is recalled. The phone lines are jammed (one post I saw said it took her 1.5 HOURS to get thru and check ONE can) and their servers are overloaded.

I’d say, put those cans of similac aside and wait a week to check them while you use something else.

11. GraphicsGeek says:

Use store brand formula. Its FDA regulated just like the name brands. If the store brand says its compared to a certain name brand, then, by law, it has to be. Check the compare to charts on the back. Its also alot cheaper. (Disclaimer: I work for the company that manufactures the store brands for stores across the world)

• jason in boston says:

Care to share some of the “store brand” examples? The one that I have seen the best is foot powder (I walk a lot in the city every day). The Target vs Gold Bond is exactly the same product. I would even wager that they came off the same assembly line by the same crew.

• rambo76098 says:

You might be surprised how many “store brands” are made by Abbott as well.

• webweazel says:

Someone pointed this out to us in the beginning of our formula use for our kid, and we checked it out as we went. The large majority of store brand baby formula is made by the SAME COMPANY no matter what store brand you buy. Just look on the back of the label and see what “lab” made it. (Can’t remember the name right now.) Stick to that same “lab” of manufacture, and the formula will be exactly the same from store to store all over the country.
      I have checked the labels of national brand versus the store brand, and if not exactly the same, sometimes the store brand has improved nutrition in some categories over the national brand.
      Check it out yourself if you don’t believe me.

12. Clyde Barrow says:

A recall because of beetles? Well since babies do not have teeth, they cannot chew on the bug so I can why a recall took place. -)

13. qbubbles says:

Meh. We use beetle shells as a food coloring, so I figure, meh. My sister in law actually said, “Caleb eats everything, anyway… he’ll just get more protein”.

And yeah, I say that as a future (any second now, actually…) parent.

14. HungryGal says:

A completely sterile infancy is more dangerous to lifelong health than a slightly dirty one. The correlation between the huge upswing in childhood allergies and the increased reliance on ‘formula’ is brushed aside by the industry again and again.

So really, a little beetle will probably be good for these babies immune systems.

15. Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Bless their hearts for getting out in front before it leaks and they get crucified.

I personally don’t think it’s that big a deal. Unless factory machinery is completely sealed, crap’s gonna get in our food.

Glad I breastfed mine, but we did give (store brand–half price FTW!) formula to our foster babies.

16. LightMayo says:

I have been trying to access the Similac website all morning, unsuccessfully. This is the only formula I have in the house. I wish Similac had done a press release with the product serial numbers impacted, so we do not have to rely on a single source (their website) to get this information.

17. massageon says:

And breast feeding still reigns king. I am Almost 100% sure there are no beetle parts coming out of my breasts…. maybe

18. cmdr.sass says:

Always nice to see the ignorance in these comments. There are lots of legitimate medical reasons for giving an infant formula instead of or in addition to breast milk that don’t have anything to do with convenience. For example, poor milk production, or insufficient production in the case of multiples.

19. BradenR says:

Isn’t this just one more issue of value added by Chinese exporters?

20. Winteridge2 says:

Mothers, it is time to go back to “Original Recipe”. And how does a beetle get into a sealed plastic container anyway? Maybe we can spray them with something?