Twitter Makeover Lets You Embed Pics, Videos On Site

A Twitter redesign that’s rolling out incrementally alters the layout and lets users post pictures and videos directly on the site rather than just link to them.

Engadget took a look at the remade site and found that not all the changes were for the better:

The in-line content makes the experience all the more enjoyable. Conversation threads are vastly improved, but it only shows one reply back at a time — you can go through an entire timeline, but it takes far too many clicks.

Whether or not it’s a good idea to improve the workload for the site’s continually beleaguered servers remains to be seen. We’ll let you know if we discover whether or not the Fail Whale gets a new look.

Twitter unveils new website with picture and video content embedded on site (update: hands-on!) [Engadget]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So does this mean my new tweets will outshine my first 21,000?

2. sp00nix says:

Sounds like it is making its way to another social network.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

By the time I get off Facebook and try this twitter thing, it’s just going to look like a Facebook.

4. zandar says:

cuz no other site lets you post text, pics and video. Yawn.

5. oblivious87 says:

Now what if I posted a picture with all words that was longer then 140 characters!! I found a way to cheat their system!!!

Plus they wouldn’t be able to mine my info which they are eventually hoping will net them revenue!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Whew. Luckily there isn’t anything like OCR. If there was, we would need a system to display an image which something with OCR couldn’t read, but a person could. Perhaps I can call it Recaptcha…

6. aloria says:

Everyone I know who uses twitter uses an alternative client like TweetDeck, Seesmic, or DestroyTwitter. I suppose part of the reason for these changes is to lure people back into using the web page, but I’m certainly not switching.

7. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

Twitter trying to be Facebook lite. Is that a shark tank I see

8. BenChatt says:

Take that, John Mayer!

9. BenChatt says:

Take that, John Mayer!

10. CyGuy says:

As long as the pics and vids are on separate servers from the twttierstream and when they get overloaded they fail independently.

Also, I assume that unless this was anticipated by Apple, there is a very good chance the new video streams will not play on the iPhone. If that is the case, then Twitter and/or Apple will need to address it ASAP.