Hobby Lobby To Couple: Only Women Can Carry Bags

A Hobby Lobby employee asked Joe to leave his Maxpedition Versipack–I was going to call it a man purse, but it’s so aggressively utilitarian that I think it gets a pass–at the front counter before he shopped in the store. That’s unfriendly but not that weird, considering the loss-prevention strategies some stores use. However, they let his wife continue with the exact same bag attached to her hip, I guess because women can’t steal.

Me and my wife were going to the mountains and we each carry a Maxpedition Versi Pack, size small. We carry water, a sandwich and our wallets. We stopped at Hobby Lobby [in Colorado] and when I got a few feet in the door a cashier stops me. She advises me that I cannot take my bag through the store, that it will have to be left at the register until we have finished our shopping. She advises that I would, of course, be allowed to take my wallet out and carry it with me. She does not require that my wife give up her identical bag.

Throughout the store we see women that have purses and bags that are twice the size of the bags that we carry, which logically would make it that much easier to steal items. When we get done and go through the register, we go through the one that the same cashier is at. My wife pays for her items, and we stand and I wait to get my bag back. She starts ringing up the next person in line. I clear my throat and she asks if there was anything else? My wife, already annoyed, says yes can he get his bag back. She then had to look for where she had put my bag before returning it to me.

I would say that we spend about $100 a month at Hobby Lobby when we go to [this] store and never have an issue. It seems that it was discrimination that made me feel the thief, when I have never and would never steal.

Yeah, you say that, but you’re a dude. It could happen.

Comments

1. Dre' says:

So you just rolled over & took it? I would have went elsewhere.

• oldgraygeek says:

Agreed.
      I wear a Safepacker on my belt, and I’m not giving it up… because it has my (licensed) Glock in it, so I can’t just hand it to random store clerks.

• TouchMyMonkey says:

I might borrow my wife’s purse (and maybe some of her clothes – we’re almost the same size) and visit our brand new Hobby Lobby to see what the hubbub is about.

• dg says:

Yeah, I’d have told them to F’off and just walked in. I had WorstBuy try that crap with me once, I told them “When you start searching every woman’s purse, then you can look in my bag.”

What if those assholes had lost your bag? Would they then claim no responsibility?

Next time, just play deaf and walk right past them… Ignore them the whole way…

• Mr. TheShack says:

This. I breeze right past these morons. Whenever I have my messenger bag with me in a shop (if I happen to be not in a car traveling), I just don’t even register with loss prevention ‘tards. They typically won’t follow you.

I did have one occasion going to subway in walmart (right inside the door), the old woman greeter followed me in and proceeded to tell me I wasn’t allowed to have it. So I told her to hand over her purse to me. She can hold my illegal man bag and I keep her legal purse. She went to get the manager and “Security”. I was gone before she got back.

2. Cameraman says:

Oh, good, it’s time for the Two Minute Hate again.

Damn that Hobby Lobby! Damn it to hell! CAPS LOCK TO EMPHASIZE MY RAGE.

3. Kahn Soomer says:

Return to the store, and if it happens again register a complaint with management, get a witness, and sue them for discrimination.

• Dre' says:

I don’t think that will fly. They aren’t saying men aren’t allowed to shop there.

• pop top says:

Yeah. It would be tremendously stupid for him to sue in this case. He is free to shop there, provided he leaves his bag at the door. “Men carrying murses” is not a protected class.

• AlphaLackey says:

Part of “equal accommodation” means not subjecting people to undue harassment solely because of their gender, and in this case, “you can’t be trusted to carry a bag around inside our store because you’re a man” is pretty clearly that.

British Airways recently settled something similar where a customer lawsuit led to a settlement and change of policy that only women were allowed to be seated next to an unaccompanied minor.

With genders reversed, with women required to leave their purses at the door but men were allowed to carry theirs in, it would be a slam dunk case.

• pop top says:

What law has equal accommodation for both sexes? I’m honestly curious. And I would also like to point out that there’s a big difference from being prevented from carrying a bag in a store and having it implied that all men are pedophiles who would molest unaccompanied minors if given the chance.

• DariusC says:

Actually, a case was settled that employers can discriminate against employees and tell them not to wear earrings, makeup, etc… could be compared to this case where it is a customer… but not sure.

That ruling was BS too.. and so is this.

• Kahn Soomer says:

What the hell is a murse?

• sleze69 says:

Sounds like sexual discrimination in this case. While it isn’t criminal, women have successfully sued places that discriminate against them.

• curmudgeon5 says:

Discrimination isn’t just whether or not you’re allowed to shop there. For instance, what if they only made black people leave their bags at the door?

• Skellbasher says:

It’s a European Shoulder Bag. It was a gift.

4. myCatCracksMeUp says:

Another reason I would never shop at a Hobby Lobby if there were one near me.

It makes no sense to say that women can carry purses through the store but that men can’t carry purse-like bags.

• c!tizen says:

How would they handle a cross-dresser? A transvestite? Or how about a non obvious-gender person, like Pat? The world wants to know.

• RvLeshrac says:

Cross-dressers and transvestites are clearly ABOMINATIONS UNTO THE LORD. *cough*

• RvLeshrac says:

Crossdressers and transvestites, along with homosexuals, are clearly *ABOMINATIONS UNTO THE LORD*.

If it was legal, I’m sure Hobby Lobby would just ban them from stores outright.

5. knoxblox says:

I would have asked to speak to the manager, and kindly had them look around at all the other customers, showing them the sizes of their bags. If the manager was a pill, only then might I make a scene.

6. Sayersj629 says:

I still consider that a man purse, especially in the small size. That’s the whole reason cargo shorts/pants exist. With that said, I think he should have refused to give up the bag and offered to have the clerk follow him around the store.

7. alSeen says:

Why didn’t you ask why your wife could carry the exact same bag?

8. yessongs says:

Ha Ha you carry a purse!!!

9. scratchie says:

If it really bothers you, just say “It’s my purse” the next time, and keep walking.

10. ZacharyCachimba says:

Stop shopping at Hobby Lobby.
    No returns, weird bag policies, not open on Sundays, and creepy uber-Christian ads.
    Go to Michael’s instead.

• TuxedoCartman says:

Sadly, in some areas of the country, that’s not an option. Also, Hobby Lobby generally has better art supplies. That said, since the invention of e-commerce, you couldn’t pay me enough to set foot in a Hobby Lobby again, other than to try and provoke a situation like this one (wherein I make a scene, rather than acquiesce like this man did.)

• nonsane says:

Michaels sucks too. Find a local art store for stuff that’s in michaels. usually about 1/5th the price.

However i’ve never been to a hobby lobby to say.. However i probably wouldn’t go as christian songs make me think things… horrible horrible things…

• WagTheDog says:

Michael’s is the place that fired a woman for having the temerity to take sick time off for chemo when she developed breast cancer. (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2dc6wuv) They might be raising their prices.

• Kebyar says:

Yeah, unless you need Xmas decorations in September, delivered with 0% customer service and a creepy ‘Jeebus Loves You, This I Know’ vibe, shop at Michaels or Jo-Ann Fabrics or any number of other more reputable, less preachy establishments. Nuff said.

11. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Guy needs to ditch his girly man purse and do what any real man does…wear a Utilikilt!

12. tinyhands says:

Hobby Lobby is a privately-owned corporation that does not attmpt to hide its evangelical christian bent. They clearly believe men who carry bags are homosexuals, so they were discriminating against you regardless of the facts of your sexuality.

• Dre' says:

Well that is an interesting spin, but it’s still not discrimination.

• Bladerunner says:

How is it not discrimination?
        Women are being allowed to do something that men are not.

That would be, to me, the definition of discrimination, when one group (sex in this case) is allowed something the other is not. Sex is a protected class, hence the discrimination being illegal. Are you using a different definition?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t have any experience with Hobby Lobby, but I can tell you from my retail experience that stores are very wary of people who carry large bags. We were trained to be particularly wary of people who came in with large purses or messenger bags that seemed mostly empty. If the OP’s wife was allowed to continue, perhaps it was because the OP’s bag seemed mostly empty while hers might have been much more full?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Is there certain warm-ups that can be one before making such a leap/stretch like this? I wouldn’t want to pull anything if I attempt such a thing.

• misslisa says:

Yep I thought the same thing.

13. Liam Kinkaid says:

Repeat after me, “I’m currently a pre-op transgender woman and this is my purse. If you don’t let me keep it, I’m going to file a lawsuit for discrimination.”

14. eccsame says:

I had something like this happen at a Flaming Lips show in DC. I had a backpack on and was told at the gate “no backpacks”. I unfastened a clip or two, made it into an over the shoulder bag, and then handed it to my girlfriend. Once it became a “purse”, there was no problem.

15. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Jesus didn’t carry a man-purse.

16. Silverhawk says:

Instead of writing into Consumerist about how he rolled over for Hobby Lobby, but how he’s outraged, why didn’t the OP bring it up with the manager, and/or leave the store, being sure to let them know WHY he was taking his business elsewhere?

It would be a MUCH better story to hear how he pointed out the absurdity of the employee’s decision, and either management reversed the decision, or lost $100/mo in business (and possibly more from the bad publicity).

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Yes, men with man-purses should act more manly.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

It would be a MUCH better story…

I doubt most people go through their interactions with businesses thinking, “Now how should I react to this so that I have the best possible story to tell later?”

17. Michael Belisle says:

This story angers me, if only because I for a time carried a man bag/european carryall/satchel/camera bag/flight bag/purse. I gave up in the face of overwhelming discrimination.

And by “discrimination”, I mean ridicule and unwanted recognition from women that I had superior taste in purses. (e.g. “Oh that’s so nice! You can fit so much stuff in there. Where’d you get it?”)

18. Moosehawk says:

Sexism goes both ways.

19. axiomatic says:

There’s just no place in the world for a boy and his bag eh Joey? -Friends

20. yulingo says:

Why don’t they just post a sign that says they have the right to search your bags before you leave? Plenty of stores I’ve been to have that similar message, and unless they suspect you were possibly stealing while shopping, they don’t inconvenience you.

21. sufreak says:

Someone called the WAHMBULANCE. Do something about it first, then right a letter saying your actions were dismissed.

22. Ouze says:

… how long are you in hobby lobby for? My trips don’t usually require provisions like a canteen and sandwiches, generally.

• Pax says:

RTFA. The guys letter starts with saying they were “going to the mountains”. They had their LUNCH in the packs with them, planning on a bit of hiking … and stopped off at Hobby Lobby on the way.

23. Bernardo says:

This happens alot in The south Bronx and other areas of NYC thats mostly Ethnic. The stores make you leave your bags up front usally by the guard. Its annoying sometimes because some stores dont actully have any one watch them. the are just in apile by the side of the front door. So thigns get stolen. I avoid any stores that do that, but when you go shopping in places that all seem to pull this you often dont have a choice. It gets worse when the guards are asshats you demand that you say please and thank you or give you a hard time if you lost your ticket that identifies your bag. Even if you can tell them whats exactly inside of the bag. Once you hit the “white” Areas the practice for the most part doesnt exsist. Its really screwed up and very degrading and annoying. It was worse for me before I moved out when I started carrying a laptop and my laptop bag. Id get into arguments about not trusting my stuff at the door or with a guard. for places I shopped at often they for the most part knew me and would let it slide others it just became the last straw and I avoided it. Every time i go back to the Bronx to vist family and we go shopping its just really annoying to see what we have to deal with knowing that it just happens here in the spanish area. And thanks to high turn over in most of these stores you really cant count on being known as not being a thief. My thing is to always say I have a laptop and if the guard can hand me 1800 bucks ont he spot I’ll be glad to leave it with him, if not shut up and let me shop.

24. TehQ says:

Why all the hate on bags? No one carriers a bag to work or with them? With all the gadgets we carry now a days its needed. I carry a laptop, papers, and sometimes a camera with me. So I cared a bag every day. Men have carried briefcases forever, now it has a shoulder strap because we carry heavier items than just papers.

That said I think its silly to make the OP to leave his bag at the door when his wife has the same one. I would have asked why she didn’t have to leave the exact same bag at the door.

25. Norvy says:

The common thread with all these consumerist hobby lobby stores is that it seems each hobby lobby is allowed to make up their own crazy rules at whim.

26. sjgarg says:

Just another double standard of society… like how women want equality, rightfully so, but in the same breath some women expect men to give up a seat for them on the bus. That’s chivalry, not equality.

Too bad the OP didn’t point out his situation to the clerk and actually talk to management about their double standards, maybe there could have been a resolution to his problem. You can’t expect the staff to be psychic.

What do you suppose the ratio of women vs. men would be for their customer base?
    Is it fair to say they have more female customers?
    If so, how does asking only men to check their bags deter shoplifting when they’re only targeting a smaller segment of their customers?
    Something like this should have also been brought up to the management.

• pop top says:

“Just another double standard of society… like how women want equality, rightfully so, but in the same breath some women expect men to give up a seat for them on the bus.”

Wow. I must’ve missed the part where the female worker railed on about this to the OP. Oh wait…

• Bladerunner says:

I think he was just giving another example of the double standard he was mentioning, not trying to say these were directly related.

• pop top says:

His post was ridiculous. The cashier not letting the OP take his bag with him into the rest of the store has nothing at all to do with feminism or equality between the sexes or whatever sociological BS he’s trying to make up. It’s probably just a shitty store policy based on the fact that they’re a Christian organization and believe that men wouldn’t use purses/bags/whatever unless they were trying to steal something. There’s no need to try to put down feminism.

• dwtomek says:

Nothing to do with equality? Two people walk in with identical bags. Man is refused entrance unless he relinquishes bag. Woman is allowed in with identical bag. If that equates out for you, you are clearly doing some rubbish algebra.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

You can’t expect the staff to be psychic.

The staff doesn’t have to be psychic to see that both of them were carrying the exact same bag or to know that their enforcement of the policy is sexist.

27. bigd738778 says:

Bobby Hill from King of the Hill taught me to scream “THATS MY PURSE”!, then kick them in the groin. Watch the episode “Bobby goes Nuts” to see one of the best episodes from one of the best shows that was on t.v..

28. John B says:

Get over it.

Either clarify there and then with the manager or go with flow

29. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I would pull out my smart phone and say you don’t trust me, why should I trust you? I need a copy of your ID and lets get some paper for you to sign for PERSONAL responsibility of my belongings.

30. El_Fez says:

Leave my bag at the counter? Hell no – not without getting a signed waver saying that the store is DIRECTLY responsible for my bag and it’s contents. Otherwise, they can pound sand.

31. El_Fez says:

32. sock says:

Stupid.

Hobby Lobby is on my ‘no not shop there’ list, anyway.

• Southern says:

If I’m not mistaken, (one of the) Hobby Lobby(s) is the store that also threatens to search your car before you’ll be allowed to leave the parking lot. I wonder whatever happened with that (or if it’s still ongoing)..

I wouldn’t shop there on a bet.

33. smo0 says:

It’s because the company is run by Christianite scum… who think that carrying a man bag makes you gay… and naturally, they hate gay people.

But that’s my take on the subject… people need to STOP SHOPPING THERE.

34. Rachacha says:

Is there really such a demand on the black market for unpainted balsa wood birdhouses that HL makes people check their bags at the door?

35. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

This kind of thing pisses me off. I’m a backpacker guy and a water drinker. I carry my pack everywhere. It contains food, my water bottle and other essentials. (Don’t ask me to explain, I just like to have food and water with me wherever I go — maybe it’s a past life thing.) I tried to go to the movies once and they wouldn’t let me bring it in. A mom with a huge purse and a huge baby bag was fine, though.

Clearly it was more a security thing than a stealing thing, given the location, or they thought I was more inclined to smuggle in snacks. Whichever it is, it’s gender discrimination and it’s bullshit. I pointed out to the theater people that women are just as capable of sneaking in food (or hand grenades) in their bags as I am. All I got was the blank stare. Douche bags.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

MAYBE inclined to smuggle in snacks? You just said you carried food in it!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Even if he didn’t, the woman with the huge purse and baby bag probably had at least as much contraband storage as he did with the backpack. It does seem unfair. If they don’t want large bags in there, purses should count as well as backpacks.

I’m a woman btw. I usually don’t carry my purse into the theater because I don’t like to put it on the sticky floor. I generally eat before I go so I don’t have to pay for overpriced junk food.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Survival provisions like Power Bars, not huge boxes of Milk Duds. ;-D

I rarely eat during the movie, but my water is a big deal, though. My throat gets dry a lot so I like to have water handy. And I’d rather not pay $5.00 for a bottle of theirs.

Most Regal cinemas nearby are fine with me carrying in my pack, so on the rare occasions I do go to the movies, they usually get my business.

36. SerenityDan says:

I find plenty of stores that does this. I carry a backpack full of medication that I can’t be without so no way am I leaving it with a minimum wage employee. Toys R Us tried it on me last week. I simply said to them “Do women have to check their purse? No? then I don’t have to check my bag.” When they insisted I left the store and spent my money elsewhere.

37. mythago says:

“I was going to call it a man purse, but it’s so aggressively utilitarian that I think it gets a pass” – right, it’s OK for a guy to do something with girl cooties like *shudder* carry a purse as long as it’s, like, utilitarian. Because god knows women’s purses aren’t utilitarian. Women carry them.

You got a side job at Hobby Lobby or what, man?

38. anime_runs_my_life says:

Logic says you ask why you have to leave your Versi Pak (c’mon, say man purse, ’cause that’s what it is), yet your wife and all the other women can freely carry theirs. If no reasonable answer is given, other than to prevent loss/theft, voice your opinion with your feet and leave. Something tells me that you left your common sense in the bag as well when you left it at the counter.

39. The_Legend says:

Jack Bauer would be really pissed if they treated him like that about his man purse.

• Rachacha says:

Jack Bauer chases a terror suspect into a Hobby Lobby

HL Cashier: “I’m sorry sir, you will have yo leave your bag here at the front counter”
      Bauer: “You don’t understand, I am a federal agent and I am chasing a terror suspect who is planning on launching a massive nuclear attack along the entire east coast in less than 24 hours”
      HL: “Sure, and I suspose this “terror suspect” is picking up some silk flowers to decoupage to the side of the missile…YOUR BAG PLEASE!”
      Bauer: “No, we have reason to believe that the launch mechanism was included in a shippment of wool yarn from Kazahkstan that your store received this morning. You have to trust me!”
      HL: “Your Bag Please”
      Bauer: “Fine” [Bauer reaches into his bag, pulls out a gun and shoots the cashier]
      BINK-BOOP-BINK-BOOP-BINK-BOOP

40. CaptCynic says:

I have to say, that under no circumstances would I ever surrender my possessions to a store employee, period. Whether it be a backpack, messenger bag, or belt pack. They may not trust me to walk around their store with a backpack, but I trust them even less. I’d walk out, no discussion.

41. Groanan says:

Have no fear, stashitware is here!

Hobby Lobby will be handing out free manpurses after a few weeks of sweaty wads of cash.

42. Armand1880 says:

I work at a college bookstore, and we get a lot of people coming in with backpacks and stuff, and we make them leave their backpacks by the doors in lockers. The problem is that women get really fussy when you ask them to leave their purse. And now having a huge purse is the current style – so if the girls don’t put their purses at the front, we just make sure to watch them closely. Most guys don’t have a problem with this little double standard.
    We’ve caught 3 shop lifters this past week who were women with huge purses.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

How many women with huge purses weren’t shoplifters? Probably enough to blow your “purse size profiling” theory out of the water.

43. maruawe says:

Both are ridiculous, A man purse never heard of ,esp in Colorado(which I frequent regularly).
    This I would have to see to believe,could it be that the store is going overboard on this or is the man just being funny or being overly sensitive to his man purse. If it’s common for men to carry these where they are from and not so common elsewhere..adaptation is generally the rule for visiting places other than the home state

44. TouchMyMonkey says:
  45. ellemdee says:

There’s no way I’d leave my personal property unsecured at the door/register. Offer free lockers and I’d think about it.

I wonder what they’d say if a guy walked in with a baby and a diaper bag.

46. thekevinmonster says:

I presume a purse is okay and a messenger bag is not, because women carry purses to hold their ID and money because they don’t have anywhere else to put it when wearing clothes without pockets. Men’s clothing usually has pockets, so men keep that sort of thing in their wallet, and are thus not “required” to keep hold of the bag they are carrying (even if there’s something valuable or dangerous in it.)

I’m not playing devil’s advocate, but no one seems to have offered a reason for why this policy might exist, only complaints that the store didn’t explain the policy (and that the OP didn’t push the issue.)

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

The policy itself isn’t gender specific, it’s just enforced that way.

The problem with the pocket theory is that if you’re carrying a bag and you have pockets it’s because you have to carry something that won’t fit in your pockets or multiple small things that won’t all fit in your pockets. Just because it isn’t a wallet or a phone doesn’t mean it isn’t important.

For example, do you really want to tell someone with allergies that they can’t carry their tissue with them? Unless you want them replacing their tissue with the materials in the fabric section maybe they should let them hold onto that.

47. Jnetty says:

“You go to B and H”.
    B&H camera store in NYC does this. No bags, backpacks are allowed and you get a ticket to pick it up when you leave, but women can bring in purses.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

B&H has small high value electronics. You also can’t easily get a concealed carry license. There are people who have bags that legally CAN’T turn them over to store personnel without at least asking some insulting questions (Are you at least 21 years of age, Have you ever been convicted of a felony or family violence? Oh, by the way, dismissal after probation still counts.. Still no, ok, you may guard my bag. No I can’t tell you what’s in it.)

48. brandy says:

Where’s speedwell? I’m sure she wants to go on some tirade about how women should be allowed this special privilege because men are catered to in every other way.

49. VOIDMunashii says:

I carry a messenger bag with me a lot, and I am hesitant to leave it in the car since it usually has my netbook inside it. For that same reason I would also be hesitant to leave it with a store employee.

I have run into places (Spirit Halloween Stores, for example) that do not allow any bags (including women’s purses), but never a place that only banned men from carrying bags. I usually get watched like I am going to steal something instead.

I personally would have taken my business elsewhere, or, if my wife really wanted to shop there, I would go somwhere else while she shopped. If I am not welcome in your store because I like to carry more than what fits in my pockets then in your store I shall not be.

50. baristabrawl says:

I’m a man and I always say, “I carry my gun in my purse..” Then I do crazy eyes. Works a lot of the time.

51. mikedt says:

Had a similar thing happen when I tried to carry my motorcycle tankbag into Walmart. The clerk told me they didn’t allow backpacks so I told her it was a purse and kept on walking into the store. Nobody came after me.

52. sixseeds says:

Something like this happened to me. My BF and I went to a signing at Binny’s (Chicagoland chain of liquor stores) carrying similar messenger bags and were asked to check them. When I asked why I had to check my bag, given that I had no other place to keep my wallet, cell phone, etc., she couldn’t give me a good reason but threatened to bar me from the event. So I gave her the bag.

When we get on line for the signing, I see scads of other women carrying purses 2-3x the size of my little messenger bag. I return to the bag checker’s table and ask what the big idea is. “Oh, those women are carrying purses, you were carrying a bag.” “Fine,” I said, “then my bag is a purse. Will you let me have it back now?” She didn’t have an answer, so she didn’t stop me when I picked up my bag/purse and returned to the line.

I filed a complaint with Binny’s but never heard back. I wouldn’t shop there anymore, but the store near my apartment has better staff and they just bought out their main competition (Sam’s) anyway.

53. drjayphd says:

Sexism, obnoxious and overbearing proselytizing in their stores, and going back on their own policies? Why is it that the more I hear about Hobby Lobby, the less I care for that company? I’m just glad I have other options.

54. Forgotten18 says:

I’m pretty sure they simply “asked” you to leave the bag there, they didn’t “demand” you do. You could have politely declined. Why do people constantly make big deals about nothing? And why does Consumerist enable them?

55. valthun says:

Its ok though, taking off the fanny pack for a few minutes is good for everyone involved.

56. framitz says:

What’s the fuss? Simply LEAVE and go elsewhere, they obviously don’t want your business.

57. Minj says:

When I was in the Navy, when we pulled into port, I would go off exploring with a backpack on. I took that thing into every kind of store or public place you can imagine. At first I thought people would give me trouble, but if you don’t look shady, no one really cares. Nowadays, I don’t think anything of riding a bike somewhere to do errands with a backpack on and keeping it on while I shop. I’ve only once had to take it off and that was when I encountered a game store that had a sign in front saying to leave bags at the front counter.

58. Incredulous1 says:

Ah….Hobby Lobby. The store that trusts no one – customer or employee. In fact if you are an employee and make a purchase you need to leave the store immediately.

Getting a 50 cent refund? Provide a drivers license or forget it.

Men dont carry bags in their store – god wouldn’t approve.

They are going to run themselves outta business with their holier then you all attitude.

59. bratwurst says:

I have had this happen to me more than once. Once at the local casino security pulled me aside (been there many times with it and had no issues). I was told that I could not have my bag because of 9/11. As I scan the floor I mention that every lady there had a bag and they should be stopped! They caved and let me give them my money anyway.

60. EJ25T says:

Still going with the sexism angle here, but the versipack is often used as a concealed-carry pouch/holster. Maybe they thought he was packing heat… As to why they’d let his wife carry the same bag, IDK.

61. Tankueray says:

I’m a big fan of Maxpedition.

He could’ve said any of the following:
    – horrible allergy; need the epi-pen inside.
    – I can’t legally hand this over to you because I’m currently exercising my 2nd amendment rights.
    – It’s not very Christian of you to accuse me of being a thief.
    – when they took so long to give it back; “Where’s my emergency $100 bill that was in the side pocket?”

62. common_sense84 says:

“Yeah, you say that, but you’re a dude. It could happen.

What a disgusting comment. The consumerist should fire you.

A man confident enough to wear a purse deserves to wear it anywhere a woman can. This is blatant discrimination. He needs to demand an apology from the employee and a guarantee from the manager that the policy will apply to everyone or no one.

63. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I’ve gone into stores with signs like that with a gorram personal shopping cart: http://www.amazon.com/SHOPPING-CART-LINER-BRAND-GROCERY/dp/B000GUR9Y4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1284645991&sr=8-6

It has the liner so you can’t see into it either. And no one ever told me I couldn’t use it, including Hobby Lobby.

64. akronharry says:

Why do the two of them have matching purses?

65. Anita says:

Gah, what an ugly bag.

66. xiwang says:

When I was in college, I worked for a major defense contractor in Southern California. Whenever we entered or left the premises, we had to open our briefcase and bags (including lunch bags) to show the guards. The exception was that women did not have to open their purses because it was well known that only men were spies.

(After I left there, “60 Minutes” did a piece on some guy there who stole billions of dollars worth of jet fighter stealth technology and sold it to the Russians.)