Walmart Robber Swings Newborn Baby At Security To Escape Store

Some idiots try to profit off their babies by attempting to sell them outside of Walmart. And now there’s the woman in Syracuse who stands accused of using her baby to ward off Walmart loss prevention officers while she and her two alleged accomplices made off with their purloined loot.

According to police, three women between the ages of 25 and 29 were attempting to exit a Walmart in New Hartford, NY, on Wednesday with around $1,100 in stolen goods when they were approached by loss prevention officers.

That’s when one of the women, a 28-year-old mother, decided to give her newborn baby girl an early introduction to a life of crime.

Writes the Post-Standard:

[She] repeatedly swung the baby carrier containing her three-week-old daughter at the loss prevention officer to prevent being taken into custody and used the carrier to repeatedly push the officer to keep him away from her, police said.

[A second woman] then sprayed the pepper spray on the Wal-Mart loss prevention officer and on bystanders before all three escaped into [the third suspect’s] car and drove away, police said.

Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the rest of us), their “Thelma & Louise (and friend and baby)”-like getaway didn’t last long. The three suspects were later stopped by police on the NY State Thruway and taken into custody. Authorities say the baby was unharmed and given over to the care of a relative.

All three women were charged with criminal possession of stolen property and grand larceny, both felonies, and criminal possession of an anti-security item, a misdemeanor.

Syracuse woman swings baby carrier with child in it to try to avoid theft arrest [Syracuse.com]

Thanks to Ron for the tip!

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Good thing they didn’t do this at Forever XXI, or that baby might have been placed into a headlock.

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

You win an internet!

• Conformist138 says:

The poor baby would then sit in jail for a week after being unable to post bail on shoplifting charges.

(Think it didn’t happen? Google that shit, I lost faith in the human race when I found out that the guard wasn’t charged with a damn thing)

2. dolemite says:

A misdemeanor? That seems rather lame. Using a baby as a pudgy mace?

• GearheadGeek says:

I think perhaps the “anti-security item” was actually the pepper spray, not the baby. I wouldn’t bet my mortgage payment on that, however.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I was confused by that. How is pepper spray “anti-security?” Isn’t is pro-security?

• Puddy Tat says:

I believe this is a felony not a misdemeanor…. due to the cost of the items, attacking the loss prevention agent and then pepper spray.

Then tack on swinging the crumb cruncher which is felony endangerment

3. mikeluisortega says:

Almost every time I go to Walmart I always see someone getting arrested. Still shop there because it’s the only thing open 24hrs

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

..at least the baby was in a carrier and not being swung from the arms? Really, that’s what I thought had happened before I read the post, and I imagined that the mother was swinging her baby, Olympic hammer throw style.

• tbax929 says:

Wow. Where is this Walmart? I’ve been going to Walmarts for years and have never seen anyone arrested at one.

• mikeluisortega says:

Greenfield Wisconsin on 108th and layton, it’s the Nascar Walmart of the Milwaukee area

• eirrom says:

The Wal Mart on Capitol Dr near Shorewood, WI is as ghetto as they come. The cops might as well have a station inside. Would save them the time to drive down there.

• Eli the Ice Man says:

Haha, I’m on training in Milwaukee for the next few months, I have to check this out!

• layton59 says:

I saw a guy die in a K-Mart from a heart attack. The rescue squad tried CPR on him to no avail. I think about it every time I shop there.

Please refrain from any Blue-Light-Special jokes. Does KM even do BLS anymore?

• JayPhat says:

Mansfield, OH. At least once a day cops are there to arrest someone for shoplifting,

• Difdi says:

Plus all the free entertainment!

4. Grogey says:

Ahh the good old Mohawk Valley……

5. womynist says:

Makes me miss Upstate NY.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

7. Sheogorath says:

‘criminal possession of an anti-security item’?

Really, why don’t they just call it ‘Annoying the Police’. They can consolidate ‘criminal possession of an anti-security item’, ‘Resisting Arrest’ and a whole slew of other crimes into that one. Just think of all the paperwork it will save!

• PLATTWORX says:

I suspect they are referring to the pepper spray and since the Walmart security officer is not a police officer, they used another charge.

• Dunkelzahn says:

Actually, that charge is usually for something like a tinfoil-lined bag or box cutter to remove security tags.

• Sheogorath says:

Ah, but by endangering the WalMart security personnel, she was annoying the police.

It’s one of those ‘catch-all’ charges. They could use it to replace a lot of things, really. Drunk and disorderly, disorderly conduct, inciting violence…y’know, all those things police use to mean ‘you made me angry, now I’m arresting you’.

• Razor512 says:

Babies can be pretty dangerous weapons. it can really hurt if someone hits you with one. Imagine someone going around like the scout from the game team fortress 2 but instead of swinging a bat, they are swinging a baby. It may hurt just as much.

8. Dapper Dan says:

I think the most suprising part was:
    “The baby-swinging mother was charged endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.”
    It’s only a misdemeanor? Steal a TV – go to Jail. Put your child in harms way – slap ont he writs.

9. central_ny_dude says:

Why does this not surprise me at all. Oh, its because I live here and can vouch that upstate is full of crazy people.

10. JollyJumjuck says:

A better tactic would have been to throw the dirty diaper at the LPO’s. Of course, that could have been considered biological warfare…

• layton59 says:

It is amazing at how many trashy people change their baby’s diaper in the parking lots of stores and then leave the nasty smelly diaper on the ground. I have seen it many times at Wal-Mart, J. C. Penney’s and Big Lots. Often times there is a large waste can 25 feet from their exploits. JCP actually has two at the outside front door. Also most larger stores have diaper changing tables in the restroom. Why do the dirty in a parking lot?

I recently saw a trasher changing her baby in a shopping cart. I wonder who got that cart next for all their shopping items?

11. Hoss says:

Somewhat off topic — but I did my bi-annual Walmart trip today. (The nearest is 15 miles away, so I don’t go often) The receipt checker was a polite young man with a noticeable learning impairment. All the way home I wondered if someone from this website would dare to walk past this kid, and be ok with it.

• evnmorlo says:

Walmart probably gets state funds to employ him, so yeah I’d have no problem convincing him to quit and seek honest work counting cards in a casino.

• DH405 says:

So you’re saying it would not be okay to choose against submitting to a search by a private citizen at the employ of a corporation just because that private citizen happens to have a learning disability? You think that they get special rights to impose on others? Seems like you have a determined position (Pro-Receipt Checkers) and you’re using that as an attempt to muddy the waters of the debate. Weak tactics.

12. Hungry Dog says:

I thought it was more common to use kids as a shrieking device to ward off single folk.

13. Puddy Tat says:

These people are the dredges if our society and guess who is paying for these women’s rent and groceries bills? I guess they just wanted the finer things in life and you can get it at the local Wal-Mart!

They should all be sterilized and never let out of prison honestly using a child as a battering ram is unforgivable! These wanna be menace to society types deserve nothing less then our complete and utter contempt, sorry but animals like these truly make my blood boil!

Tat

14. VOIDMunashii says:

It turns out that the baby carrier had a +1 bonus against security officers

15. quijote says:

What is that picture “shopping with baby” from? Is that real?

16. stock2mal says:

“People that annoy you.”

17. tk427 says:

“The baby…was turned over to a relative, police said”

Ok it always worries me when I see something like this at the end of a story.

Is the whole rest of the family just automatically fit to take care of the kid? It could be that they gave the baby to the same effed-up relative that raised/effed-up the suspect in the first place.

18. Skazaam! says:

I frequent that Walmart all the time; that’s the classy one in the area, I can’t believe there’s baby swingin’ going on there.

19. JadePharaoh says:

At least they didn’t forget their baby like that other group… http://consumerist.com/2010/08/shoplifter-forgets-baby.html

20. lawgirl502 says:

Take that baby away from that whore psycho mom forever. That bitch could use her new baby as a weapon? SICK nasty whore

21. human_shield says:

What about assaulting the bystanders? No charges there??

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Exactly, I was going to ask the same question. How can you just hit people up with pepper spray and not be charged with assault when it’s not in self-defense?

22. sopmodm14 says:

i’m speechless and disgusted

23. TheFingerOfGod says:

Honestly, this makes my heart bleed! I am so sad right now.

24. mischlep says:

New Hartford, NY is a suburb of Utica, not Syracuse.

#correction

25. Cyniconvention says:

“Stupefy!”

26. stlbud says:

loss prevention “officer” – huh? Last I heard, they were not deputized nor sworn in as “officers” of anything.