Burger King Greases Palms With Oil From Company That Kills Fewer Trees

Kings — especially ones with creepy face masks — are there to serve their subjects, so Burger King responded to complaints from critics by switching its source for palm oil in which to cook its delicacies. Led by Greenpeace, environmentalists had harangued the company from buying from a subsidiary of Sinar Mas, Indonesian outfit accused of deforestation.

Burger King announced the change late last week on its Facebook page. Nestle also abandoned the subsidiary within the past year, GreenBiz reports.

Sorry, Whopper fans. You’ll no longer get the sweet taste of forest destruction with your meal.

Sinar Mas Decision [Burger King Facebook page via GreenBiz]

Comments

1. FrugalFreak says:

So we do get it our way! Good News.

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

This is the worst news since they took the dolphins out of tuna. Luckily, I can get dolphin from my local fish monger. But where will I get palm oil?

• iParadox{InLove} says:

I make my own palm oil at home. Giggity.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I’m constructing a large pool to grow my own dolphins at home. Hopefully it’s better than when I bought my own lobsters to grow at home. I miss you Pinchy.

3. Hotscot says:

“environmentalists had harangued the company from buying from a subsidiary”

eh?

4. shepd says:

BK must have lost their minds. I’ve never heard of someone from Greenpeace enjoying a greasy burger, ever. Since most everyone that isn’t somehow involved with Greenpeace or its allies thinks they are insane, that means BK really didn’t need to care.

I know that if it comes from Greenpeace’s mouth, I just ignore it until I find a real news source with the truth.

5. FrankReality says:

I thought every major fast food chain had stopped using palm oil uh… maybe TWO DECADES AGO – it’s very unhealthy stuff – a very highly saturated fat.