Has Your Subway Been Tessellating Your Cheese?

Earlier this summer, Subway made headlines when it confirmed to Consumerist that it would begin tessellating the cheese in its sandwiches as of July 1. But, say some readers, the sandwich artists at their local Subways have yet to start arranging the triangular cheese slices accordingly.

For instance, we have Michael from New York City:

Subway was supposed to begin tessellating their cheese starting July 1st. I go to many different New York City Subway restaurants and none of them are doing this? Was the post a joke?

While everyone laughs, I think tessellating the cheese is important. If you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, you don’t put PB on the entire thing and twice the jam but only on half.

We can assure you that the post was no joke. As you can see from the original post, the confirmation came straight from a Subway rep.

We do not joke about the cheese coverage on our sandwiches.

That’s why we’d like to know from our Consumerist army — or at least those enlistees that eat at Subway — whether or not their cheese is being tessellated.

Feel free to tell us about the tessellation — or lack thereof — at your local Subway in the comments or e-mail us at tips@consumerist.com with the subject “Subway Cheese.”

Comments

1. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Tessellating in Beaverton, OR!

2. CherieBerry says:

Here in Cincinnati the cheese at the Subways I visit is tessellated.

3. FrugalFreak says:

Yes in Holtville, AL

• FrugalFreak says:

But it may be because I mentioned the policy to the Subway Associate myself and suggested they look into the new policy. I explained the whole shebang to them.

4. Tim says:

It depends on the day, the location, etc. I’ve had at least one person do it the old way, then correct himself.

I wonder if, since Subways are franchises, a franchisee could sue Subway about this, claiming that they’re trying to exercise too much control over franchises.

• SuperSnackTime says:

Depends on the franchise contract, balance of control varies widely across different franchise contracts. As for this hombre, I ain’t lookin it up to figure out :)

5. neil125 says:

In CT, near me, They’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember.

6. Doubts42 says:

No in Carrollton TX, Plano, TX, and Lewisville, TX. yes in Coppell, TX

The “artist” in Carrollton, had to have the word Tessellate defined for him, then refused to do it.

7. Murph1908 says:

Provelone in some areas north of Baltimore are semi circles, and thus are untessallatable.

• ARP says:

this is strangly funny to me.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It is tessellatable. Just won’t be the same tessellation as tessellating other kinds of cheese.

Tessellate.

• dangermike says:

amusing but wrong. The very definition of tessellation describes a set of tiled shapes which have no gaps or overlap.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Um, excuse me, sandiwch artist, can you please slice the provolone to approximate triangles with the appropriate arcs within the semiscircles for equivalent surface area? Hm, what’s that? Ok, I’ll show you on the chalkboard, but the proof is left up to an exercise for the reader. No, lol, you don’t need multivariable calculus, but, lol, that’s what SHE said.

Sandwich Math Harmony.

8. humphrmi says:

In Skokie, Illinois on Dempster Street: NO

• JoeDawson says:

Which one on dempster? I think there is one where Mages used to be now (near skokie swift) and there is a kosher one at Dempster and Crawford (which wouldnt be putting cheese on meat sandwiches anyway)

• humphrmi says:

Actually, Dempster and St. Louis, about 2 blocks west of McCormick. I forgot about the old Mages becoming a Subway. And I thought the kosher one closed down, but I’m probably wrong.

9. SanDiegoDude says:

Last time I went to subway, about 2 weeks ago, they did not… I didn’t say anything though, I really don’t go to subway for a “superior sandwich service” anyway, I just went there because it’s fast, easy, cheap and a lot healthier than regular fast food.

• Voxxen says:

Last part is kinda sketchy there. You do know that the posted health information is for a 6inch, no cheese, 1 -teaspoon- of sauce and recommended (aka: really really really really small) amount of veggies? I’ve done the calculations and an average footlong is about as bad for you as a whopper. Less fat, lots more calories, lots more sugar, it all sorta balances out.

Also, 4-10$ for a -sandwich- is not cheap. What you smokin?

10. Mundo says:

Tessellating here in the only 24-hour/day Subway I know of in UTC here at La Jolla, San Diego.

Have also tried (and confirmed) this with 4 different sandwiches I’ve order in the past couple of months.

11. ITDEFX says:

The Subways in Manassas, VA do NOT tessellate, despite me telling them to!

12. swarrior216 says:

No in Largo, FL.

13. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Now that tessellation is a battle one, can I request that the bacon be arranged into deliciously superior Moebius strips?

14. DrStarkweather says:

Several Subways I have visited in Chicago haven’t been tessellating to my dismay.

15. mh83 says:

No tessellation in Waltham, MA. But it was someone else’s sub, not mine, so I didn’t speak up. (I got mine without cheese).

16. sn1per420 says:

I have yet to find a Subway that tessellates its cheese (tried various locations in NJ and one in NC)

17. hypochondriac says:

Don’t Know haven’t been to a subway in a while. Last time I went to I remember the way they cut the bread is different from when they first began.

Anyone remember when they first you to cut the bread so it had a grove or space for the toppings. Now they just slice it down the middle. Wonder which was was better

• Silverhawk says:

I think I’m in the minority here, but I really preferred the v-cut or ‘groove’. I don’t know why, but the sandwiches tasted better when they did that. Probably psychological.

• Dalsnsetters says:

No it really did taste better! My local (St. Petersburg, FL) Subway has taken to actually “rolling up” the prepared meat package and putting the non-tessellated on this “roll o’meats.” Me no like.

• SagarikaLumos says:

I strongly preferred what I called “the trench.” The sandwich didn’t slide apart as much.

18. WhoLikesPie? says:

Not only have they been tessellating since July 1st, but the one next to my work has been doing it for months before that. Gotta love Eden Prairie MN

19. dannod says:

Really? Are we really talking about how cheese gets arranged on crappy sub sandwiches?

20. tcarreon says:

No in Frederick, MD.

21. MauraGrowf says:

Not tessellating in downtown Dallas, and very disappointed about it. I’d say something to the, uh, sandwich artists, but they don’t exactly speak the best english.

22. Cimquito says:

Western Mass and Northern CT I have found no tessellation in my travels

23. BeastMasterJ says:

Last week, I was in a Subway in Southwestern Wyoming, and I’m please to announce that they ARE tessallating the cheese. Delicious!

24. ScottFromNY says:

No tessellation in my part of Brooklyn, NY. I go there every day for lunch and when the notice was first released, I asked them about it and they said they heard about it and they had to start doing it soon. They hadn’t, but it’s no big deal.

25. odarkshineo says:

Sometimes…more no than yes

26. Meddygon says:

No tessellation in Valley View, OH (Cleveland south).
    I’m more upset that they don’t have swiss cheese than I am about the tessallation.

27. bsteimel says:

no Tessellating in chesterbrooke PA

28. ziptron says:

At numerous Subway stores on Long Island, no sign of tessellation at all, including as recently as this week.

29. SuperFlyJedi says:

I’m totally going to Subway for lunch now, gonna make sure they tassel that cheese!

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Tessel, not tassel, unless your Subway has better looking sandwich artists wearing less clothing than mine!

30. Kitamura says:

Depends what time I goto the Subway I frequent, all their peak hour (lunchtime) staff tessellate the cheese, but the off peak workers don’t.

31. Straspey says:

At a local Subway in the Bronx, I mentioned “tessellating” to the guy behind the counter and he told me the restroom was out of order…

32. brinks says:

The two Subways in Columbus, OH have been tessellating.

I thought I was the only one checking my cheese after reading the original story.

33. ekthesi says:

Everything I knew about tessellation, I learned from Square One:

• almightytora says:

Bless you for posting this. I remember Square One TV. I miss Mathman, even if the player playing the game was an idiot.

34. noinamg says:

in the 5 or so i have been to around the state of VA they are tessellating.

35. KJR52 says:

When the stories first started running, my local subway in NYC (34th and 9th) did tessellate my cheese on the few times I visted, and that was a week or 2 before July 1. After July 1, they’ve been sticking with the old method.

I often order my sandwiches without cheese (avoiding those empty calories lets me eat more chocolate later!) so I don’t know how consistent they are. But I did get some cheese on a meatball sub a week or so ago, and the cheese had the old-school layout. I think I would prefer the more even-coverage method.

I must admit, I’m kind of ashamed that I just wrote that much about the cheese on my fast-food sandwich…

• Straspey says:

Actually, once you admitted you were at 34th St & 9th Ave, all bets were off.

• KJR52 says:

All bets were off for what? I’m afraid I just don’t understand the comment. Busy area, so the Subway wouldn’t necessarily take the time to tessellate?

I hit this subway during both busy and non-busy hours, and have found the service to generally be the same regardless of whether there’s 1 other customer in there, or 12. They also don’t have a high turnaround rate, the same employees have been working there for quite awhile.

Man, this is a lot of comments about cheese. And now I kinda want to go to Subway for lunch today…

• j_rose says:

How are calories from cheese “empty calories”? I’ve only ever heard that term applied to drinks.

• KJR52 says:

I mean that they add a pretty high amount of calories without really adding much flavor, nutrition, etc. I view calories as kind of “bankable”. If I’m going for 2000 a day, and can save 50 calories by not adding cheese, and therefore have a cookie later instead, then I’m all for it.

36. Kia says:

Tesselating in Carmichaels and Masontown, PA. Tiny little spots in the middle of nowhere, so I’m surprised they’re actually bothering.

37. Supes says:

I’ve been looking for it down here in DC, at a Subway I go to about once a week. No tessellation yet. But I do go during peak lunch hours when things are getting a little crazy.

38. Coogan says:

No tessellating at the Subways in Huntsville, AL that I’ve been to as recently as a week ago. But I really don’t consider it a big deal. Just gimme my tuna sammich!

39. Rocket says:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. It depends on who is making the sandwich. One employee does, but the other does not. I really don’t care either way.

40. Munchtime says:

Of the three different Subways I’ve been to in Chicago, tessellating is on the menu!

41. whoknowsdrwho says:

No Tessellating in Detroit, MI

42. FooSchnickens - Full of SCAR says:

For the most part, yes.

All the new faces I see at my usual Subways are doing it, so it must be in their training regimen. The people who have been there a while flip-flop between both methods of cheese placement, so it appears it’ll just take some time before they all do it.

43. eccsame says:

Not on Tuesday when I visited my local Subway in Baltimore. But, as my colon doesn’t need any more help, I’m not bothered.

44. juggler314 says:

No tessellation at any of the various subways I’ve been to in the tri-state area recently. I order provolone cheese – it doesn’t tessellate quite as well, but still they should be doing it!

45. donssword says:

Haven’t seen it in Richmond yet.

46. teatree says:

Brisbane CA, depends upon the employee, seems to be about 50-50.

47. guspaz says:

No, in Montreal, QC at my local 24h subway.

48. pinkbunnyslippers says:

Nope – not in Northern VA they’re not..

49. Mknzybsofh says:

The three I use here in Athens GA do. There’s about 8 or 9 here.

50. jenl1625 says:

Downtown Columbus is usually tessellated, but they seem to slip up when they get busy…

51. Dalsnsetters says:

OMG, I am getting such a kick. Had Subway yesterday for lunch. The kid making my sammich did NOT tesselate my cheese. As we were wrapping up my sammich, I asked him to cut it into four pieces and mentioned that I was a consumer who didn’t care if my cheese was tesselated or not but didn’t like having big ole pieces of sammich to deal with. When heard the word tesselated he said “What? What does that mean?” I said, “Nevermind…not important.”

52. Silverhawk says:

Memphis, TN, and no, they don’t. I haven’t bothered trying to ask, as the staff & owner at the last one I went to are pretty consistently surly. It’s like they’re doing you a favor to make a sandwich. The last time I asked for “a little bit of mayo” and the ‘artist’ deliberately squeezed a bunch of mayo all over the sandwich. Maybe I should have yelled (sarcasm!).

I’ve stopped going back & visit a local deli chain now.

• chargerRT says:

All the ones in Jacksonville must be afraid of lawsuits from people with allergies to everything but copious amounts of lettuce. “I want how it’s normally made” is met with the most ridiculous responses. Even today when I pointed at a picture of the sandwich, I still had to name off all the ingredients. I want suggestions! _I_ am not the sandwich artist here.

53. theFinn says:

Up here in Canada it’s been hit or miss for me. It seems that tessellation is a more time consuming practice so when it’s slow at the restaurant I’ve had my cheese properly tessellated, however during busy times I get the normal stacked pattern or something more haphazard. From time to time I’ve had the ‘sandwich artist’ start tessellating, get confused half way though and just slap the cheese on willy-nilly from then on as well. I can see that they’re trying but the proper cheese alignment still confuses them a lot of the time.

54. t0ast says:

Attempting to Tessellate in Independence, MO

I say attempting because I get to occasionally watch a subway employee fumble around for a minute with the cheese positioning and still get a slice or two wrong. Still, they get it right more often than not, and those who aren’t are at least trying, or something…

55. OBEYshiba says:

not tessellating at the subway closest to my workplace in phoenix. was equally as surprised as OP.

56. missmicrophone says:

Not happening in Maryland Heights, MO

57. chargerRT says:

No at Monument/McCormick in Jacksonville, FL. Maybe you have to ask for tessellation, just like you have to give them directions on EVERYTHING. I swear, if they had a BLT (and Lord help ‘em if they do), they’d ask what you want on it, not even reaching for the bacon until you say “BACON!”

58. wbabbit says:

No in Phoenix, AZ. No in Kansas City, MO

59. HoJu says:

I think you guys are just trying to find one more excuse to use the word “tessellating” in an article. Admit it.

60. Heresy_Fnord says:

The Subway in downtown Nashville on 4th Avenue next to Chile Burrito is NOT tessellating their cheese.

61. toolverine says:

One location does it on occasion, three others do not ever tessellate. This is in Fremont, CA.

62. ModernTenshi04 says:

Seems to be hit or miss for me, more hit than miss, but it’s definitely not in practice across the board yet. I was happy when the stores near my home and office did it for the first time, but on future visits, sometimes the person would just put the cheese on in any old fashion, either the old way (all points in the same direction), or would tessellate the first two or three slices, and then mess up on the subsequent slices.

I’m not going to get all hyper angry about it, but it does seem like a fairly simple change to make that all employees should be able to implement without a problem, but I was never picky about the old way either. I’m fine giving them a window to get it right across the board, personally.

63. oaklandsteven says:

Ft Myers FL near Edison State College… No tessellating. I would have said something, but I was to embarrassed to say anything with a long line behind me. Plus, the sub maker spoke poor english, and also had trouble processing my credit card. For me to explain “tessellating,” would have been useless and frustrating.

64. packy says:

My wife worked at Subway in college, and she says that they were doing this in Schenectady, NY, years before the corporate-wide edict went out.

Since the original story, I’ve been taking note, and it seems to be 50/50 whether they tessellate the cheese on my wife’s subs or not (she gets american; I get provolone, so it makes less difference if it’s tessellated or not).

I think Subway employees just don’t take the edict seriously.

65. DanGarion says:

Last time I went to Subway 10 years ago they did. But then I discovered good sandwich places where I live and never looked back.

66. knightracer says:

Yes in Midland, TX today

67. Senator says:

Tessellating? Cheese? Your?

68. sopmodm14 says:

uhh, couldn’t they be more efficient if the cheese was just rectangular, like, kinda like the shape of the sub ?

squares are for regular bread sandwiches

once its folded, it doesn’t matter

once its ingested it doesn’t matter (unless it helps with digestion maybe ?)

that being said, what they should do is have parallel bags, so that any dressing doesn’t goto the bottom of a sub to ensure its evenly distributed along the sandwich

69. sopmodm14 says:

if they did that in BK, would they have needed to sell ? lol

70. skygirl says:

Not doing it at DFW Airport (all terminals) or the Subway just north of the airport on Freeport. Personally, I don’t care, as I only make the sandwich runs, make my own sammiches and they taste better, and are way cheaper.

71. Nakko says:

They tesselated my tuna sub here in Austin. I was so happy!

72. anonemouse says:

I never knew cheese arraignment could be such an issue.

73. HenryES says:

I don’t normally order cheese, but I’ll pay attention next time.

74. manicsoprano says:

No tessellating in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I suspect that Subway Canada is a different beast altogether.

75. katia802 says:

Tessalating in downtown PGH

76. MarsVolta187 says:

NO TESSELATION IN CHICAGO

77. cheezfri says:

No tesselating in Des Peres, MO. The sandwich artist looked at me like I was from Mars. He said they never got any memo. I told him to reverse the cheese, and he wouldn’t do it.

78. chrishickman says:

Dwight, IL – no tessellation.

79. Disappointed says:

I only got tessellated cheese once this summer, at one of the Subways (the new one) in Wheaton, IL.

80. dragonpancakes says:

No tessellation that I’ve seen so far in Lakewood, Denver, Thornton, Commerce City (Colorado)

81. Salty Johnson says:

No tesselation in Novato, CA

82. ITDEFX says:

i say we all picket the subways that don’t tessellate!

83. Joseph S Ragman says:

No, and when I attempted to point it out to the sandwich maker at my local Subway in Michigan, the language barrier between us clearly became apparent.

84. neverandever says:

Yes in Mid-Michigan. (I left my Subway job a few months ago before the “rule” took effect, but we were always told to tessellate anyway.)

85. KCMcGruff says:

They don’t tessellate in the Roeland Park, KS location… quite irritating.

86. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Tessellating in Central N.Y.

87. ywgflyer says:

No in Thompson, MB, Canada.

88. DashTheHand says:

Subway near mine isn’t. I made a joke about it while standing in line and got a dirty look back from the “ARTIST.” Seriously, “sandwich artist?” I hate you Subway.

89. Alessar says:

Ever since I found out they use a lot of high-fructose corn syrup in their bread (more HFCS than fiber in fact) I have stopped going.

90. heldc says:

The subway at Potomac Yard in VA tessellated the cheese on my sub, but not at first. The guy started putting the cheese on the old way, and then seemed to remember there was a new way, and went back and fixed it.

91. SWBLOOPERS says:

Batting .500 in Baton Rouge, LA

92. CurlyGirly says:

First time my cheese has been tesselated at my subway – and I have to say, I got a little gitty when she laid the cheese on the ham today! But now eating it – it’s WAY too much cheese – bleh!!

93. EyeintheLAsky says:

NOT tessellating @ the Subway inside the Wal Mart in Norwalk, Ca.

Sandwich maker gave a blank stare (signifying “no comprehende” ), and proceeded as usual.