Apple Set To Launch Xbox Live-Like Video Game Service

Not only did Apple announce a marauding horde of new iPods and an adorable micro AppleTV yesterday, it also revealed that an Xbox Live-ish service called Game Center is coming out next week along with the system update for iPhones and iPod Touches.

Once you sign up and choose a screen name, you’ll be able to compare your scores with those of friends scores and join them in games that offer online play. The service will be free but will “make it easier to discover new games,” meaning it’s basically an advertising vehicle to pimp new apps to you.

iPad owners won’t get in on this action until November.

Apple’s Answer To Xbox Live Launches Next Week [Kotaku]

Previously: New AppleTV Is Smaller, Cheaper, Allows For Netflix Streaming

Apple Debuts Overhauled Line Of iPods

Comments

1. HazyCloud says:

I’m surprised the title didn’t read, “Apple Set To Launch a service MUCH Better Than Xbox Live”.

• pop top says:

Apple’s Game Center: Great Service or Greatest Service?

• Rocket says:

I’m not. I don’t like misleading, or false headlines.

• octowussy says:

Only a dingus Apple fanboy would say something like that before even trying the service. Cool, can’t wait to see my friends Angry Birds scores. Definitely better than Xbox Live, right?

I’m still not even sure why this is front page news on Consumerist.

• the_wandering_monster says:

> I’m still not even sure why this is front page news on Consumerist.

Well, it *is* more relevant than a cat trying to get at a cake…

• Dyscord says:

I think he was referring to the fact that Consumerist seems to enjoy taking shots at MS and Xbox Live as of late.

I really don’t think this is going to do too well. Then again, I said the same thing about gaming on ios in general and it seems to work.

*shrugs*

• Megalomania says:

There’s no other page news. Should they create a new site, 2nd page consumerist news? It’s not a newspaper, articles are just put up in order.

• Southern says:

One looks at the byline and you’ll know the answer to that one. No offense to Phil, but a large part of what he posts isn’t “Consumer” related at all, it’s either “weird news” related (like someone insuring their hair? Really?), gaming related, or otherwise Electronic Gadget related – which if I really wanted to know about, I’d be reading Slashdot, Gizmodo, or one of the gadget blogs. *Shrug*

• Moosehawk says:

I’m not sure whether this is a promotion for Apple or a bash against Microsoft (seeing as how your avatar is an XBL avatar, I think) but this is a pretty lewd comment considering you’ve never tried it. Thankfully we’re not reading blogs written by you.

May I remind you of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

• pop top says:

It’s a bash against Phil (in reference to the new 360 controller article from yesterday). That’s a Mii, not a 360 avatar. And how in the world is his comment lewd?

• Dyscord says:

Yeah, it was a dig on all of the MS/Xbox live bashing that’s been happening of late.

And that is indeed an Xbox Avatar. Mii’s aren’t that detailed.

• pop top says:

I thought those were Mii eyes…

• HazyCloud says:

@ Dyscord and squinko

Thanks for picking that up. I probably wouldn’t have even said what I did, but clearly I wasn’t the only one that noticed that yesterday.

@ Moosehawk

Retraction accepted. :)

• Dyscord says:

I missed that article about the controllers actually. I was thinking about past articles. More recently, the one about Microsoft hiking the price of XBL.

• Moosehawk says:

Ahh I missed that one yesterday. I’d like to retract my comment now, I feel like a total D.

2. Rocket says:

OK, good for Apple.

3. mandy_Reeves says:

they have this already but publisher specific. It’s called Openfeint and minination.

4. Tallanvor says:

Apple’s products keep getting less and less attractive. Well, I think putting controls back on the shuffle was a good choice. As for the nano going all touch screen… I don’t know, the nano is already a pain in the ass at the gym when your hands are covered in sweat, the touch screen seems likely to be even worse.

5. pot_roast says:

Game Center was announced quite a while ago, actually. This is just them getting around to launching the thing…. finally.