There Are No Nuts In Honey Nut Chex Mix

Sometimes you feel like a nut but Chex Mix don’t. Lynda was annoyed to tear into this bag of Honey Nut Chex Mix to discover not a single nut was in the bag.

This wasn’t some sort of manufacturing mistake either. Nowhere in the ingredients will you find nuts listed. It’s enough to drive someone… bonkers.

Lynda writes:

Don’t believe the front packaging. When reading the fine print on the back, THERE ARE NO NUTS. Must be in the artificial flavoring part.

Comments

1. JonBonWonton says:

There aren’t any nuts in Honey Nut Cheerios, either.

2. grucifer says:

Does Honey Nut Cheerios have nuts in it? I never thought so. Wouldn’t expect it outa Honey Nut Chex either but that’s just me.

Hey, anyone remember that Chex PC game, LOL? You got to kill weird looking alien creatures in the old Wolfentstien 3D or Doom engine, I forget which they used.

• devwar says:

Best promotional cereal item. Ever.

Seriously, nothing will ever beat Chex Quest.

• selianth says:

That sounds almost as fun as the “Avoid the Noid” Domino’s Pizza game I had back in 1989.

• shadowboxer524 says:

YES!! I’m pretty sure I had my mom buy that cereal just for the game, which, btw, was actually pretty good! I had a lot of fun playing it.

3. hypochondriac says:

May contain Peanut ingredients. So it’s possible it has some nuts

4. RioPuerco says:

Puppy Chow doesn’t have puppies in it either. Imagine my disappointment.

5. zegota says:

Dude, Peanut Butter doesn’t have butter in it, either. WTF?

• Dover says:

Don’t get me (or the dairy lobby) started on soy milk!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Uh, butter refers to the type of substance, not specifically butter made with milk.

In other words, what you call “butter” is in fact milk butter. Churned from cow’s milk into the sticks you purchase at the store.

Any substance that is made into a viscous solid could be considered butter. Pardon but I don’t have a scientific definition for you, but some alternative examples of butters include peanut butter and almond butter.

6. octowussy says:

Grape Nuts doesn’t have… well, you know the rest.

Lesson learned: read the ingredients BEFORE you buy.

7. Alex says:

Regular Chex Mix is delicious. That’s all I care about.

• selianth says:

I make my own Chex Mix at home. Seriously, it’s way better than the bagged stuff. Oh my god, I just became one of *those* commenters.

• RioPuerco says:

Don’t worry, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the comment. Homemade chex mix is absolutely delicious and addictive

• craptastico says:

it’s acceptable when talking about chex mix. it’s not like your bragging about making your own soap

• Murph1908 says:

Agreed. The bagged chex mix is disappointing. It seems like 90% pretzel and is pretty bland.

When I make mine at home, I double the worcesterchire and spices, halve the pretzles, ensure a copious amount of nuts, and add cheerios.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

nah, pre made chex mix is pretty recent really. i recall when homemade chex mix was the ONLY option.
        i prefer a little cajun seasoning in mine but i leave out the celery salt

8. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

There aren’t any nuts in honey nut cheerios either. It’s a flavor, get over it.

9. Dover says:

Maybe she meant to grab the peanut lovers or trail mix flavors?

10. stevenpdx says:

There are no nuts in “Chock Full ‘o Nuts” coffee, either.

11. Salty Johnson says:

Honey Nut Cheerios has no nuts in it either. Added to it is an almond flavoring. That’s probably the same thing they’re doing here. “Honey Nut” is just a name for a flavoring… a good Consumerist should know this.

12. hmburgers says:

To those commenting that Honey Nut Cheerios and Grape Nuts also don’t have nuts–that was my first thought too, but please bear in mind those are breakfast cereals and this a snack mix… so it’s two different types of foods with different expectations.

I think it is odd that a snack mix with the word “nut” in the name doesn’t contain nuts… actually, usually they contain far too many peanuts because that ends up being the cheapest ingredient.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Plenty of cereals have nuts in them – or little nut pieces in the middle or clustered.

Also, maybe one would think that Grape Nuts had grapes (raisins) in them AND nuts.

All you really have to do is look at the picture – should give you a good idea.

• Hirayuki says:

It’s a snack mix made from a breakfast cereal–specifically, Honey Nut Chex. Which doesn’t contain nuts.

Is bad parsing the problem here? It’s “Honey Nut Chex” Mix, not “Honey Nut” Chex Mix.

13. EJ25T says:

Anyone else remember when Chex Mix had peanuts in it? I suspect they removed them a few years ago due to allergy/fat content concerns.

Maybe this person is upset because they haven’t bought Chex Mix this decade, and were upset about the formula change.

14. Dapper Dan says:

This is my fav chex mix, but it’s hard to find by me.

15. Eyeheartpie says:

Question: why is she complaining about not finding nuts, but not complaining about not finding globs of honey in the package?

16. herbie says:

PHIIIIIILLLLLLLLL! I think you are doing this to make me go ‘splodey.

17. womynist says:

Honey Nut Chex mix is my favorite, and IIRC it used to contain awesome honey-nut clusters. I recently bought a bag to find that alas, the clusters no longer exist. I wonder why?

18. Kuchen says:

Honey Nut Chex Mix used to have honey roasted peanuts in it. It was DELICIOUS. Now it’s slightly less delicious.

19. emax4 says:

I remember one of the Chex Mixes having nuts in them years ago, and suddenly they stopped. So suddenly, I stopped buying them. Yeah, I’ve bought peanuts before WITH a bag of the new Chex Mix, but I shouldn’t have to.

20. yessongs says:

Peanuts aren’t nuts, they are legumes.

21. ogsoleysol says:

There Are No Stories In Phil Villarreal Stories – The Consumerist’s Readership

22. Mxx says:
  23. Southern says:

I’m just waiting for the day when I find a house in my Maxwell House. Imagine, no more mortgage!

24. jesusofcool says:

As someone with nut allergies, I hope this is actually true and not just an error in the ingredients labeling.

25. cheezfri says:

Hey! There are no grapes in my Grape Nuts!

26. fuceefacee says:

I usually find no more than three peanuts in a box of Cracker Jacks. Such a let down.

27. zandar says:

You’re wrong, it’s chock full of “honey nuts.” bits of honey made crunchy by the cereal. that’s what I’ve always assumed. There are no depictions of nuts on the label. why would you assume it meant real nuts, anyway? Who buys a cereal with the vague guarantee of “honey nuts” expecting real nuts? Of what sort?

28. what says:

I’m still waiting for the fruit in my Fruit Loops, crackers in my Cracker Jacks and the tarts in my Pop Tarts too……..WTF?

29. legolex says:

I guess she’s never had Honey Nut Chex the cereal? If so I think she would’ve known prior to purchase what she was getting into.