Continental Loses Dog, Offers $1,000 Reward For Her Return

It’s been almost two weeks since Daisy, a 4-year-old Golden Lab/Shepherd mix, broke free of her leash during a layover at Newark Liberty International Airport, but Continental Airlines is holding out hope that she’s still alive and is offering a $1,000 reward to anyone that finds her.

Continental had been transporting Daisy from Syracuse to San Diego. She made her escape in Newark while an airline employee was transferring the dog between flights. Since then she’s been spotted a number of times in the neighborhoods surrounding the airport.

In addition to the reward, Continental has flown Daisy’s family to Newark from San Diego twice to help with the search effort.

Continental Airlines Offers $1000 Reward For Missing Dog [CBS New York]

Comments

1. jason in boston says:

Chris: Video link fail.

How does this happen? Did the dog rush the door and make a run for freedom?

• jason in boston says:

Although it is good to see that Continental is actually doing something about it.

• Chris Morran says:

Video should be fixed now. For some reason, it was giving me the embed code for whatever clip was in the unrelated “video new” sidebar.

• Straspey says:

He used the escape chute…and grabbed a couple of Budweiser dog biscuits on his way out.

2. NarcolepticGirl says:

“Continental Loses Dog…”

“…broke free of her leash during a layover at Newark Liberty International Airport”

I mean… it’s not like they misplaced the dog in the wrong cargo this time. Or it went missing and no one knows what happened.

3. Supes says:

As sad as this is, it’s nice to see Continental is handling it the right way.

4. NarcolepticGirl says:

Awesome video link, duderz

5. pantheonoutcast says:

“Broke free of her leash during a layover at Newark Liberty International Airport…(after being fondled by a particularly overzealous TSA agent).”

Gotta read between the lines…

6. sufreak says:

Once again, why I respect Continental. I do pay more to fly them when I can afford it, but they always do right by me.

DELTA! Take a lesson. If you want to keep customers, and get new customers, do right by them when you do wrong. (Also, read that other article about customer service)

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Hope it doesn’t run into those packs of feral dogs that surround the area. Or the feral cats that hunt the feral rats from the port.

8. j_rose says:

I can’t watch the video, but I have to wonder why the dog was on a leash, and not in it’s carrier. Do the airlines actually take the animals out of the carriers to transport them between flights? I understand on a long flight the dog needs to pee, but I’d rather my dog pee her kennel and have to clean that and bather her, and know she’s in the relative safety of her “box”, than have someone I don’t know and cannot trust holding her leash on a tarmac!

• Supes says:

It’s called a “comfort stop.” Airlines are required to take a dog out of a kennel after they have been travelling a certain length of time.

• Pax says:

Exactly what Supes said. It’s required by law, in the interest of animals’ well-being.

• j_rose says:

Then use a fenced in dog-run, or similar area. Take the crates to the area, and walk the dogs one at a time in the area.

The article (again, didn’t see the video yet) says the worker was walking the dog from one flight to another. That seems very unsafe…

• cash_da_pibble says:

exactly- if I could, I’d lock the crate to avoid such issues.
      I trust very few people with my dog- the BF, the former dogsitter that’s now a Marine, our former Army Ranger friend, you get the idea.
      i would rather my dog be miserable and safe, than someone else who I don’t trust trying to manage my dog’s health and safety- and failing.

• evfaithful says:

It’s nice that they get potty breaks, but they need to give the people handling the dogs some training. You don’t just throw a leash on a 100lbs dog and expect that to be enough. There is a state of mind you need to be in when you’re dealing with a scared dog. Get Cesar Millan to do some workshops! This is really sad, and why I’m terrified of putting my dog on a plane.

9. smo0 says:

Well it sounds like there’s hope for this one and that Continental has learned from it’s Fiance’s mistakes…. you have to work out these things BEFORE the marriage, people!

10. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Glad to see the Airline is providing assistance. Continental gets a pat on the head and a treat from me.

11. Pax says:

Good on Continental for working so hard to find the dog and re-unite it with it’s people. :) I hope the effort is successful!

12. suez says:

Don’t airports have fences around the grounds to keep people and animals from wandering onto the runways? How the heck to dogs escape like this?

• madfrog says:

My understading is that they do, but a dog full of adrenline and scared can jump/climb over just about anything. Sometimes, dogs that disappear like this are found months, even years later at the house, they have been know to go cross-country to return home.

13. Floppywesl says:

This is why i have GPS chips installed in all my pets,children and family members.

14. evnmorlo says:

Why doesn’t anyone use a dog search dog?

15. maraa01 says:

I just dont understand putting your pet on any airline. Ok, this one is a strange incident and the airline is being really good about it, but c’mon. Every week it is another lost/dead pet story from some airline. If you are just going on vacation, put the pet in a boarding facility, or have a neighbor take care of it. If you are moving, DRIVE. Take the extra time and trouble.

16. Urgleglurk says:

I suggest they contact all the breed rescues in the Newark area and spread the word about Daisy. Many rescues, all-breed or not, will mobilize their members to assist with a lost dog in a situation like this one. I also suggest they have large posters made and distribute them widely aroud the areas where she has been seen. She’s still “recoverable,” but probably very hungry, tired and scared. Live traps are also a possibility, if she’s “hanging around” one particular area.

17. nonzenze says:

Way to discipline your dog.

18. LACubsFan says:

As a dog lover I say this to all dog owners. Leave your fucking dogs at home! Unless you are moving across the country/world, hire a dog sitter! You don’t need to have your dog on vacation!