That Free Balloon In Your Hotel Room May Be A Used Condom

Kids: don’t try to blow up balloons that you find on the floor. Or anywhere that’s not from a sealed package. A 4-year-old boy awaits sexually transmitted disease tests in Atlanta after he did just that. He mistook a previous guest’s used condom for a balloon, tried to blow it up, and became mysteriously ill shortly afterward, with a fever and mysterious white bumps in his mouth.

“I ran out the bathroom and my grandson had a condom in his mouth. His tongue was in the condom and he was trying to blow it up. I immediately took it out of his mouth and he thought it was a balloon, that he was blowing up a balloon… It still had, what appeared to be semen in the condom. I want to take the condom and have it tested.”

Hotel staff would not let the family keep the condom and send it for their own tests, and were understandably not very open with a local news station on the subject. The family suspects that the child may have herpes, and are waiting for test results.

Child’s Family Anxiously Waiting For Test Results After Condom Incident [CBS Atlanta] (Thanks, TJ!)

Comments

1. ktetch says:

Great, and I’m taking my kids to Dragon*con next week, along with some friends taking their 4yo…
    Best scour the rooms first!

• moyawyvern says:

I checked the article to see if it was at the hotel I will be staying in at Dragon*Con. Luckily, it is not, but I sure hope I don’t find anything similar in my room.

Have a great time.

• DarthCoven says:

I’ll be at Dragon*Con next week, too, staying at the Marriott Marquis. Last year we shared a suite with another couple and when we opened the sofabed to go catch a few hours of shuteye the first (very late) night we discovered what I could only describe as red stains all over the sheets and bedspread. After complaining we waited less than 5 minutes for a maid to come up and fix things but we certainly were a little disturbed.

Still not sure I’d bring kids to this con, though…

• ktetch says:

thats where I will be.
          We’re goign with friends who go every year (even 3 weeks after their son was born – seeing Kevin sorbo with a newborn is a weird exercise in scale). My wife went last year, and me and he kids went wandering around the hotel on the Monday (it was their first time near a con – I used to run them in the UK, but they’re a completely different beast)

Maybe we should get a Consumerist get-together sorted quick-sharp – can’t let them damnyankies have the only ones…

• DarthCoven says:

A Consumerist meetup would be pretty sweet, but as moyawyvern said, gotta wait for the pocket schedule. Then I have to work around the 3 or 4 times my wife will want to meet Sean Maher and James Marsters…

Yes I have bail money set aside for the inevitable “officer, she’s humping my leg, please arrest her…”

• DarthCoven says:

find me on Twitter, same username.

• moyawyvern says:

I have stayed at the Marquis every year I have been to D*con, but I have never found anything remiss. Then again, I was in basic rooms with no sofa beds to hide stuff in.

Have fun, and I hope you don’t have to wait too long at the elevators. :)

• DarthCoven says:

The rule that began at the Hyatt carried over to the Marriott: Go down even if you’re going up.

We’re in a basic double bed room this year (unless we can get lucky and finagle a free upgrade again like last year), so I doubt we’ll find anything wrong with the room. The crunch is on! I need to get my Jedi cloak dry cleaned…

• dizzy says:

I’m finishing up my Dalek dress. o/ Sunday will be spent spray painting styrofoam balls gold.

• DarthCoven says:

At the moment said wife is scrambling to complete her various Firefly and Star Wars costumes. I get to help her make an ice planet this weekend :)

I’m rehashing a few of my older pieces. Indy, Jedi, Simon Tam, Jagged Fel, Fox Mulder and it’s looking like I’m debuting Spike (from Buffy) this year. Unfortunately that means if I don’t find a wig this weekend I get to fry my hair with bleach :(

• moyawyvern says:

Or get a room on the 10th floor. All elevators go to the 10th floor. I managed to get a 1st floor room overlooking the Pulse bar 2 years ago and it was awesome. We could look down and see if things were hopping or if the lines were starting, and we could just use the stairs. I hope I get one again this year.

• ktetch says:

its the wyndham garden hotel, for anyone else wondering,

Moya – I hope to, still deciding if I’m going to take part on the 3-strikes panel on Friday morning, it was only certain I was going at all last night (uncertain if we could afford tix for all)

• moyawyvern says:

The Wyndham was one of the hotels that was closed to become dorms, so at least we don’t have to worry about that particular one.

ktetch- I haven’t even looked at the schedule yet. I am delaying the inevitable meltdown that happens when I realize I can’t be 3 places at once. Plus, I am waiting for the pocket guide, so it is all in one place. I am glad you were able to make it. D*Con is always a blast.

• DarthCoven says:

I heard about a few of the hotels closing to become dorms. I also heard through the grapevine that most people weren’t even notified that the hotels closed and thus their reservations were cancelled. A whole bunch of people were left up a creek without so much as an apology and there is still a scramble for rooms near the host hotels. I’m glad my friend is very quick with the mouse and managed to snag a room at the Marriott within the 3 or 4 minutes they were available to book online.

• moyawyvern says:

That is what my friend did. That Passkey thing was a clusterfrak, though. I signed on like 30 seconds after she did and couldn’t get on. Luckily she has been going for a zillion years and knows the ins and outs. And can stay up all night to catch a funky opening time if necessary, so she snagged me a reservation as well. We shall be there way too bright and early on Thursday. Only a 3 hour drive from Columbia.

• SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

+1 for good parenting choice. (going to Dragon*con I mean)

• lymer says:

I wouldnt worry too much. I dont think anyone is having sex at dragon con.

• dizzy says:

I’m counting the hours til my plane touches down in Atlanta.

• DarthCoven says:

My wife, a friend and I are driving down from NYC Wednesday morning with a stayover in Virginia. I’m the only one that drives, and I’m sure as hell not doing it all in one day.

2. agent 47 says:

I can’t decide what’s more horrible – this story or the fact that I loled at it.

• Preyfar says:

I laughed, too. Not intentionally. I thought most four year olds were way past the “let’s put something I found on the floor in my mouth” phase.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

They are past putting just anything they find on the floor into their mouths, but this was a “balloon”. What 4 year old can pass up a balloon?

• pantheonoutcast says:

A four year old who has been properly taught and conditioned not to put anything in his mouth?

• HogwartsProfessor says:

They still sometimes do it, though.

• Mr.Grieves says:

I blame it on TV removing this PSA from their rotation;

It’s a classic that all children should be subjected to lol.

• qualia says:

Having worked in daycare, most 4 year olds won’t put strange things in their mouths unless they are 1) food or candy and 2) whistles or balloons. You’re no longer worrying about rocks and dirt.

At that age they’re learning to get permission first, although parents shouldn’t let kids that little blow up balloons anyway. It can pop and they can choke on anything that flew into their mouths.

• DariusC says:

I bet the parents will have quite the story to tell as to why their child now has special needs (if he does get herpes and/or HIV).

“Yeah, when he was 4, he tried blowing up a balloon he found in a hotel room… except it wasn’t a balloon, it was a used condom. My kid got herpes (and HIV?)”

• nextyearsgirl says:

Fortunately, the likelihood of him becoming infected with HIV through his mouth is very low.

• PupJet says:

Uhmm…LOVE to tell you this because of the fact that I’ve been HIV+ since 2007, but in order to get HIV by such a manner, the condom with semen would have to either have been used within the last 7 days (by in which the hotel maids should be fired) AND the child would have to have an open sore in his mouth. Chances are also it could just be an infection, however the aspects would lead more towards Herpes or even Gonorrhea.

• zibby says:

Yeah, particularly gooey objects found in strange places. And who just leaves such a thing lying around, anyway? Flush it, slob. Oh well, a lot of human behavior is a mystery to me…

• sixsevenco says:

I think you are.

• RayanneGraff says:

Don’t worry, I LOLed too. I wasn’t that dumb at age 4, I would never have put ANYTHING off the ground in my mouth. I was raised by a germophobe though, so…

3. JoeXJoe says:

Lets hope for latex allergy.

• Sian says:

Herpes doesn’t show up the day after exposure. Latex allergy seems much more likely, if the parents aren’t just making things up to grab money from the hotel.

• Sumtron5000 says:

From herpesonline.org:
        “primary herpes usually begins from two to three weeks after the virus enters the body.”

• ill informed says:

“Jones said after 24 hours, her grandson started throwing up, he developed a fever and started showing signs of a possible STD.”

24 hours =/= 2-3 weeks

• Sumtron5000 says:

Exactly. Something is fishy with this story. Either the parents are paranoid and misinformed, or they’re seeing dollar signs. I mean I would be paranoid too if I were them, but anything that happens a few days later really has nothing to do with the incident.

• ill informed says:

yeah, i don’t know anyone under 30 who isn’t aware that STIs don’t show symptoms that quickly. grandparents and their “no education is the best sex education”…

• xjeyne says:

Now you have herpesonline.com in your browsing history.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Ah! The taint!

I always wanted to get ahold of some prescription bottles and labels so I can make ones for “Valtrex” in my friends names and hide them at their places to be discovered by others. Mwa ha ha ha.

• Sumtron5000 says:

Luckily, for some reason unknown to me, my bf set firefox so that the history doesn’t get saved. Good guy… WAIT A MINUTE!

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Coming soon: New warnings on the back of hotels doors.

“If you have a latex allergy, please inform your room cleaner. And have a great day!”

• theycallmeGinger says:

Yes, latex allergy is my vote, too.

Besides, I thought you couldn’t get herpes if you used a condom! (Ba dum ching)

• dadelus says:

You can if you’re not using it right. I’m pretty sure “Put in mouth after use” is not listed on the package.

• theycallmeGinger says:

You do realize I was making a joke about STD prevention? I even put the Ba dum ching in there in case someone wanted to take the comment seriously. Damn Consumerists.

• shadowhh says:

Most likey thats it.

You wont get a fever and blisters a few minutes after getting herpies.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Sounds like thrush to me-totally common in small children, and could be because of the condom or not.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

My thought when I read this too – thrush. The condom could have yeast on it from either partner.

TMI alert: A small amount of yeast exists deep inside virtually all women, which is why babies are born with a covering of such; yeast infections are really just “overgrowths” of candida. Women can pass this to male partners with few or none ill effects.

• Conformist138 says:

1. Herpes takes weeks or months to show up
      2. Herpes is NOT carried in fluids, therefore it is NOT in semen- it is carried by dead skin cells. A few cells may get carried by the semen, but not nearly as much as if the virus were present in the fluid itself.
      3. The herpes virus dies quickly outside of the body. What few cells in that condom that may have carried the virus would be harmless within a day.

So, no, this kid doesn’t have herpes. An allergy or other reaction is most likely. BTW, it really annoys me when people print stupid conclusions for sensationalism.

• Conformist138 says:

1. Herpes takes weeks or months to show up

• NColimo says:

Actually, the updated story at CBS Atlanta says that the kid tested positive for herpes.

4. sp00nix says:

pwned :(

5. Anonymously says:

Herpes :(

6. Mr. Pottersquash says:

why would they test the condom? cant they just test the boy?

• shepd says:

They are testing the boy, but it would be much easier (and smarter) to test the source of the disease, rather than hoping the boy contracted the disease. Not all diseases show up right away.

• Sumtron5000 says:

Exactly. When someone is exposed to HIV, they get tested for YEARS afterwards, because it can take a long time to show up on a test. My cousin got a blood transfusion as a baby, right before they starting testing blood donations for HIV in 1985. His poor parents had to take him to get tested for years.

• womynist says:

Actually that is incorrect. Current HIV tests are much more accurate, and can detect HIV antibodies withing 3-6 months.

“Antibodies generally appear within three months after infection with HIV, but may take up to six months in some persons.”

This CDC definition of a three to six month window period has been commonly used for a number of years.

•The three month window period is normal for most of the population. Many people will have detectable antibodies in three or four weeks. Very, very rarely (i.e., only a few cases ever), a person could take six months to produce antibodies.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

We know that now, sure, in 1985 it definitely would have resulted in more monitoring than just 3 to 6 months due to just to be sure.

• Sumtron5000 says:

Thanks for the info, both of you. I had no idea that it would show up on a test so much sooner now. That probably saves a lot of sleepless nights for people who may have accidentally been exposed. Yay science!

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

I don’t think that’s true anymore. The modern HIV test actually tests for HIV antibodies.

If it takes several years for antibodies to show up, most likely you’re running this test on a corpse.

• JohnnyP says:

They would also want to test the condom because if the boy come back positive for something and the condom does not the hotel is off the hook.

• montusama says:

Don’t you need to wait about 3 months for just about all std’s to show up in an std test? (or 6 months)

• El-Brucio says:

My cynical view? If they just tested the boy the hotel’s lawyers would try to claim whatever diseases he came up positive for could have been there all along.

7. dr_drift says:

It’s one of those stories that, on the surface, seems kinda funny but turns out to be so terribly horrible.

“A friend of mine and I were at the zoo when his pants just fell down. He had novelty boxers on and we all laughed. It turns out, though, that he was being eaten from the inside out by loads of flesh eating bugs, and that’s why all his clothes didn’t fit anymore. He died. It sucked.”

• dbeahn says:

OMG, that happened to a friend of mine, too! We sued the company that made the boxers, for making us laugh at our dying friend.

8. colorisnteverything says:

This is so icky, but more than that, it is just really SAD. If the kid did get herpes, there is nothing to do to make his life “normal” again in full. And I am not so quick to blame the hotel. I mean, housekeeping DOES look for this stuff, but that doesn’t mean they always find everything. condoms can hide in tricky places and you can find them (sadly) in even the best hotels. Although, I am not sure I wouldn’t sue in this case because I wold just be so upset and looking for an answer to WHY.

• grucifer says:

Life ain’t fair, thats why.

It sucks but there’s no answer to the why other than some guy tossed a condom in a hotel room after he finished with it and the whore he was banging and then some poor sap (in this case, the 4 year old) picked it up and thought it was a balloon.

Herpes.

• DariusC says:

I’m suprised nobody mentioned a lawsuit. The hotel could make up for this horrible incident by getting sued out of business. That is definitely what I would do. When it comes down to it, who is responsible for the a troop getting in trouble in the military? His/Her supervisor. Ultimately, it can be traced up to the highest ranking official because they are ultimately responsible for everything.

• dbeahn says:

By the “chain of command” logic you use here, the Grandmother is responsible, since she did not keep the child from finding, picking up, and trying to blow up, the used condom. Grandma is the kid’s supervisor, and the kid sure did “get into trouble”, didn’t he?

• DariusC says:

True, she holds some blame, but the condom wouldn’t be there if the hotel staff did their job correctly. (Key word: Correctly)

• evfaithful says:

I’m not at all surprised that housekeeping couldn’t find a condom. I once found a crack pipe on a couch in the most expensive hotel room at a chain hotel. The entire room and hallway smelled disgusting, and this was a non-smoking hotel. Apparently housekeeping smelled the nasty and didn’t even care to crack a window to get the smell out.

• SixOfOne says:

Though really they wouldn’t even had had this problem if they’d stripped the sheets like they were supposed to. Also, didn’t they notice the smell? Used condoms don’t smell like nothing, especially 24+hrs later.

• tiz says:

isn’t that a little presumptuous to assume that everybody has sex in the hotel bed? when i go to a hotel room, i like to get a bit adventurous and do it in fun places like the shower, or on the counter.

if i wanted to have sex in a bed, i would keep my money and stay home!

• RayanneGraff says:

I have found crack pipes, weed, pills, and even a syringe in hotel rooms. Granted, some of the motels were kinda seedy, but some of them were nice too. Gross people stay in all sorts of rooms! And each item had been carefully hidden in various nooks & crannies, quite easily missed by the maids. I would never have even found them if I hadn’t been specifically LOOKING for hidden treasure. I’m wierd I guess, I get a kick out of seeing what I can find in hotel rooms.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

All I found in a hotel room was porn. :(

• Cantras says:

we found a really nice tie in a hotel room once. Not my father’s style, so it goes with my suit for halloween.

• c!tizen says:

Am I the only one that read this?

“When they got up the next morning, her grandson found a used condom in their bed.”

This means it was either their condom, or they were sleeping with someone’s love glove. If it wasn’t theirs then that means housekeeping didn’t even change the sheets. This situation is beyond disgusting. If I found out that I had been sleeping in a bed with someone else’s used condom, fuck suing… a cleaning person and a hotel manager would be getting a boot in the teeth, especially if a 4 year old ended up with an STD over it. Here’s hoping that poor kid just had a reaction to the rubber.

• grucifer says:

No, I read it and everything else in the article makes it seem like it was there before they got there. If it was the grandfathers why would they need the condom to get it tested? They could just test the old man. That’s probably the biggest give away it’s not the grandfather’s. :-)

9. eccsame says:

I just threw up in my mouth a little. It tasted like Cheerios.

10. Cyniconvention says:

Was talking about this on another site. There are so many questions, though. That’s really awful.

11. JMILLER says:

Give me a break. Does this woman know anything about the spread of STI’s? She said, ““You definitely don’t want it to come back as HIV [positive] or STD or something like that. You don’t want that and you definitely don’t want him to have to live with this for the rest of his life,”
    Apparently she knows NOTHING about HIV transmission.
    If she did some research on how herpes is spread she would see it is from direct contact with the LIVE virus. If she thinks the virus can live in a condom for the time that last person who used the room ejaculated, then checked out, waited for her to check in, THEN they slept through the night only to find this the next morning.
    I think this is somebody who is hoping for a payday. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to the lack of knowledge on sex.

• Anonymously says:

Super Herpes?

• SanDiegoDude says:

Gonna play Devil’s Advocate here for a sec….

Well, if she’s married (and a grandmother) and if she’s been married to the same person for the last 50 years, then I doubt her concerns about STD’s were enough to warrant researching the life span of the AIDS virus once it has left the host body.

That being said, I know I sure as hell would sue the hell out of the hotel. Not so much for the condom being there, but for taking it away and refusing to let the family take it so it could be tested. That’s negligence there, since some diseases can take months to years to develop, and I’m sure that decision is going to haunt the employee who made it down the road.

• JMILLER says:

If she went to the media and was REALLY concerned about her grandson, wouldn’t the logical thing be to educate yourself on what it might be? She brought up AIDS. She did that because she thinks it makes her “pain and suffering” case stronger. She was emotionally traumatized because she is a poor guardian. She slept while the 4 year old ate the semen. What if he had drowned in the toilet while she slept? Would she blame the hotel? If the 4 year old puts anything they find anywhere in their mouth then she needs to watch that 4 year old.

• Traveshamockery says:

False analogy fallacy.

A toilet is a normal household item which is commonly found in hotel restrooms.

Used condoms are a biohazard.

If you don’t know the difference, then I’m not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

• JMILLER says:

cndm s bhzrd? Y r t stpd t vn rspnd t. Gt cl

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

biohazard (plural biohazards)

1. A biological hazard; a source of risk due to some biological factor such as bacteria or human waste.

• minjche says:

Careful, JMILLER will figure out some way to blame the grandmother for the dictionary having that definition.

• JMILLER says:

Exactly. Show me the “risk” There is NO RISK. Please go back to sex education. There is no risk from semen out of the body for many HOURS. I guess you believe it when your daughter tells you she got an STI from picking up a used condom. Go ahead believe that. It’s from a stupid sexually repressed bunch of idiots that the US has such a high teen pregnancy and STI rate. STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND, OR YOUR ASS. Its what people like you do.

• minjche says:

I think I’m going to try USING CAPS LOCK when I want to sound important.

IS IT WORKING?

WHAT IF TYPE YOU AN INSULT TOO?

Heck, even your username is capitalized! Thanks for the laughs today, JMILLER.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Actually, OSHA would disagree with you. Used condoms are a potential danger.

This is a fairly standard Exposure Control Plan and it specifically mentions used condoms:

• maddypilar says:

It has bodily fluids in it. It’s a biohazard.

Anyway, hopefully the kid had a reaction to latex or Nonoxynol-9.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I thought any human fluid could be a biohazard- That’s why the medical community wears gloves, masks, gowns when working with patients. Almost anything is transmitted thru contact. A condom itself poses no risk, but a used condom does. I do believe this grandmother jumped the gun, and I would of never turned over the condom to the hotel– but downplaying how life affecting an infection could be to a 4 year old makes you blind.

• Dalsnsetters says:

Pot, kettle.

Do you research anything or just spout the first thing that crosses your mind and is unlucky to exit your mouth?

YES, bodily fluids ARE a biohazard. Just the fact that you don’t know that tells me you are making comments just to make comments. Intelligence….or actually simply lack of ignorance…..should be a requirement before you can comment here.

You especially, JMILLER. Your posts usually smack of ignorance. This one is no different.

• smo0 says:

Anything that comes in contact with human fluids is classified as a biohazard… if it wasn’t, our doctors would be “saving money” and reusing needles… since by your definition – “once exposed to air… x, x and x… “

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

You’re bothering JWMiller – do not try to interfere with his ‘always blame the OP in some way’ mentality.

He’s smarter than every OP and smarter than every commenter here, and he knows the Grandmother is the problem here.

• Traveshamockery says:

It is possible that this grandmother doesn’t engage in behaviors that put her at risk for STIs, and is frightened for the safety of her grandson after he came down with symptoms of illness after putting some guy’s man-cream in his mouth.

Not knowing the amount of time herpes can survive outside the body does not mean that she’s totally ignorant about sex.

Suing the hotel sounds totally reasonable, but unless I’m mistaken, the grandmother said nothing about a lawsuit. Chill out.

• JMILLER says:

If she is frightened for the safety of her grandchild wouldn’t an INTELLIGENT person do a bare minimum of research to find out what it is? Why would she be going to the news media 4 weeks later to say she thinks it might be AIDS? Most people would educate themselves to ease their mind and find out what it could possibly be, instead of spouting off stupid bullshit. How about grandma starts watching the child she was in charge of watching?
        Throwing around misinformation from fear is stupidity. I imagine if she said her grandson touched a black man and then got a rash, it must be because black men have something in their skin that gives rashes. Of course doing even a cursory bit of research would quell that fear, but it doesn’t make it a good “story”

• Traveshamockery says:

Again, your extreme example is a fallacy.

There’s a legitimate chance of contracting a disease from a used condom. There isn’t a legitimate chance of contracting a rash from touching a healthy black person. These are both pieces of common knowledge.

But given your hysteria so far, I don’t really expect you to go out of your way to use legitimate argumentation or to come up with proper analogies.

• JMILLER says:

There i s NO LEGITIMATE CHANCE to get HIV/AIDS or hepes that has been off a body for several HOURS. Your argument is why this country is filled with scared assholes who demonize people with HIV/AIDS. You can’t get it from shaking hands, kissing, hugging, being in a room with them.

• Anonymously says:

Lack of citation of “facts” might also have something to do with that.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ll have to take that into account when we recertify for our bloodborne pathogens training next year. When the instructor asks “what is the OSHA approved method for sterilizing an object exposed to blood or other bodily fluids?” I’ll respond:

“just leave it out for a few hours and then it will be clean enough to eat off of!”

When I’m at the doctors, I love to stick my hands in the Sharps Containers and dig out all the goodies. Those old hypodermic needles and bloody bandages pose no risk and are fun to play with — the needles work really well as toothpicks and the bandages can be reused as long as they air out for a few hours. I also like to collect old condoms from shady hotels. It’s such a waste that people throw away perfectly good pre-owned condoms — Only a sucker buys new! They’re also a great way to save money at birthday parties (balloons are way too expensive).

I don’t get what the big deal is.

• Burzmali says:

It’s conceivably possible to get HIV through kissing, assuming both individuals have recently brushed their teeth. Brushing causes thousands (millions, maybe?) of microabrasions on the gums, which can and often do bleed. As I recall, HIV is actually fairly difficult to get, but it’s still possible even with such a low dose from a kiss.

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m *pretty* sure that you can contract HIV by putting someone’s semen into your mouth.

• pantheonoutcast says:

“…wouldn’t an INTELLIGENT person do a bare minimum of research to find out what it is?”

Why are you assuming she’s intelligent? It’s quite obvious that she shares genetics with a person who picks up things off the ground and puts them in his mouth.

• Griking says:

Regardless of whether the kids caught any diseases or just has a latex allergy just the fact that “His tongue was in the condom and he was trying to blow it up” is enough to make me gag.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Yeah, that irritates me…
      as well as the reporting.
      I miss when reporters would do research.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

It’s conceivable that the kid could get HIV. I mean it’s conceivable you can get it from contact with urine. There are plenty of recorded cases of people who’ve contracted it orally. Not tons, but plenty enough. A kid like this, running around, no doubt maybe having bitten his tongue once or twice in the recent past… it’s not too ridiculous. Especially if you don’t know how long ago the condom was used. Granted, it’s like the odds of getting herpes from a toilet seat, but it’s not impossible.

With any luck, the people using it practice safe sex enough that it’s not going to be an issue anyway.

• womynist says:

Where are you getting your information? Getting HIV from contact with urine? That’s impossible! There are still a lot of folks who believe myths about this disease–please don’t give them any more false information.

As far as this story goes, it depends. Once HIV is exposed to air, it begins to die as the medium of transmission (blood, semen) dries out. So, if the semen were infected with HIV, and it was still wet, it is conceivable that the virus could be transmitted.

/Former HIV educator, advocate and case manager

• Anonymously says:

What if you had blood in your urine? I think that point was it’s very difficult to say *anything* is impossible.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

I agree with you, perhaps I should have been more clear. JohnQPublic below understood what I was getting at. I elaborated in a reply to JMILLER above as well.

• JMILLER says:

Please please please, go get educated. Based on the fact presented it is IMPOSSIBLE to have contacted HIV. You can not get it from urine or from toilet seats. Get a clue.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Conceivable as in theoretically possible. Has it ever happened? No. Can it ever happen? Sure. According to our understanding of physics I could also spontaneously fall through solid objects. That doesn’t mean it’s actually ever going to happen. There is HIV in urine, sweat, and tears, even if not enough to tip the virulency threshold. My main point being that you can’t say for certain that it’s impossible 100% of the time. No HIV researcher would- even if they’d laugh at you for worrying about it. I was actually referring to herpes off a toilet seat- which is an equally ludicrous possibility, but my point was to highlight the possibility rather than the probability. I hate it when people say X, Y, Z is IMPOSSIBLE- it’s usually possible, just very very unlikely. In light of that, could HIV have lived long enough in that condom? Probably not, but it’s more likely than a host of other scenarios where it is possible. Therefore, is it out-and-out ridiculous to test for it? Should we play wait-and-see and forget about it. No. In fact, when was the last time I heard a sex educator of any stripe say, “If you’re in doubt, don’t get tested”? Oh right. Never. Which is my point.

• XianZomby says:

From http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp054.cfm

“The herpes virus can survive for a few hours outside the body. However, there is no proof it can be picked up from toilet seats, hot tubs, or other objects.”

What it didn’t postulate on is “placing used condom on mouth.” Entirely likely however that, if check-out from the hotel is 11am, and the new family moves in at noon, it could easily have been less than a few hours since the condom had been used.

From the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/basic/

Multiple indications here that HIV can survive outside the body, including used needles, blood transfusion, and even “chewing food that has been previously chewed” by an HIV infected person. The fact that “blood transfusion” is a possibility, despite measures taken now to prevent this, means that HIV can survive for a substantial amount of time outside the body, if conditions are right.

The take-away from this is that both herpes and HIV *can* survive outside the body, despite your assertion otherwise. If there’s going to be a good vector for transmission of either of those outside the body, un-dried semen in a relatively oxygen-free condom, placed on the mouth of a child with an undeveloped immune system is as good as any.

12. Hoss says:

Disturbing story. And some VERY disturbing comments here!

• Clyde Barrow says:

My mom and grandma always told me, “don’t pick up things off the ground cuz you don’t know where its been”.

• sixsevenco says:

Agreed. Consumerist seems to be very anti-child lately.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Agreed. And the anti-child people all choose to mis-remember their own childhood, or that of their children, and think that they did everything they were told as children and they can’t understand that a normal child, no matter if he’s been warned not to pick things up and put them in his mouth, probably will if he sees what looks like a balloon.

• pantheonoutcast says:

I’ll let Homer Simpson shed some light on that for you:

“If you’re gonna yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I’ll just have to stop doing stupid things!”

• c!tizen says:

I don’t think it’s so much anti-child as it is anti-stupid parents. We all know kids do stupid shit, this is why they usually can’t be charged with a crime, they don’t know any better, but their parents should. In this particular case I blame the hotel.

• Superdemon says:

Welcome to the Internet.

13. dbeahn says:

I don’t think that the hotel is, reasonably, at fault. There is no mention that “the room was filthy when we checked in, and the beds weren’t even made!” or anything else to indicate that housekeeping hadn’t been to the room.

The fact that they checked in and then spent the night would actually seem to indicate that they found the room to be in acceptable condition. Clearly they did not notice the condom in the time they spent in the room, so it’s reasonable to assume that the condom was hidden somewhere that it would not be easily found.

I believe the person responsible would be the person that did not properly dispose of the condom. If you want “justice”, then the hotel should DNA test the condom and the last few men that stayed in that room, starting with the most recent, until they get a match.

• JMILLER says:

I have stayed in plenty of hotel rooms and left used condoms. If some moron picks it up and puts it in his mouth, that is YOUR problem. I have also pooped in hotels too. If your kid licks the toilet seat and gets sick from it why would I have ANY responsibility. Teach your FOUR year old to not put everything they see in their mouth. I would say the fact grandma was sleeping while the kid was up and about doing this shows she is an irresponsible guardian.

• pop top says:

Are you saying that instead of properly disposing of used condoms, you just hid them or threw them wherever for other people to pick up after you?

• JMILLER says:

It does not say anything about where the kid found it. It could have been in the trash. It really doesn’t matter where the condom is. Tell grandma to get off her lazy ass and do some grand mothering. If a FOUR year old does not know to put anything in their mouth and she will not watch them, then she needs to have any right of looking after children ever again terminated.

• Griking says:

If it was in the trash then I actually do blame housekeeping. Emptying the trash should be a standard practice when cleaning a room. If it was white and stuck to a white wall somewhere on the other hand I can understand it being over looked.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

It does say – the kid found it on the bed.

“”When they got up the next morning, her grandson found a used condom in their bed.”

Hence, why I think maybe Gramps was the “user”

• pop top says:

If you read any “staying in a hotel tips” articles, they always always say to remove the top covers and check them because they are rarely washed. The sheets are what get changed every day, but the top blankets are washed maybe once a month and just put back on the bed after the sheets are fixed.

Really though. Don’t you think that grandma would know if she had sex with her husband the night before and he used a condom and would put two and two together that it was theirs, instead of putting this child on the six o’ clock news?

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I guess so…
                Now that I think of it, they’re probably the ones that went to the news, huh?

• valkyrievf2x says:

Well, see, the family entered into an agreement with the hotel. The family gives the hotel money, and the hotel provides clean room and board for the night/stay. In this case, the hotel did not live up to its end of the bargain. They provided (unknown to them or not) an unclean room. So, the family gets to go after the hotel for negligence in properly cleaning the room. Now, if the hotel is so inclined, they COULD try and find the owner of the condom. On the other hand, that owner also has an agreement with the hotel, where the hotel is to clean up after him. In other words, the hotel is on the hook any way you slice it.

AT least that is how I see it…

• JMILLER says:

No, the hotel agrees to provide you a place to sleep. There is no warranty of cleanliness or sanitation of the room. They provide you a room. If your 4 year old licked the toilet seat THE NEXT DAY AFTER CHECK IN, would the hotel be liable for possible ecoli? If the kid stuck his finger in a light socket while she slept would the hotel be liable for not making it “child proof”? It is grandmas responsibility to watch her grandkid. She failed and decided to sleep instead.

• minjche says:

How is it not the hotel’s responsibility to provide a clean room? Please explain.

• JMILLER says:

There is nothing that provides for the level of cleanliness in a room. You may WANT a clean room. But they are renting you the room for the night PERIOD. In general hotels make rooms clean for marketing purposes, but it is not required unless there was a warranty that said it. You are renting a room for a period of time. Everything else is an amenity. Some hotels do not change sheets every night.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“In general hotels make rooms clean for marketing purposes, but it is not required unless there was a warranty that said it. “

I’m not sure where you’re from but in the USA hotels are regulated by local and state health departments.

• minjche says:

Remind me to never stay at a hotel managed by you, or any business for that matter.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Yeah…I’m not a lawyer or anything, but I’d be willing to bet that there’s some statute or regulation that stipulates that hotels are required by law to only rent rooms that are “used condom on the ground-free.”

Also, hotels might not change the sheets daily, but that’s only during the duration of the stay of one particular guest. If I stay Monday-Thursday, the hotel might not change the sheets. I don’t change my sheets at home every three days. However, when I check out on Friday morning, and you check in, there’s not a reputable hotel on the face of the Earth that would fail to change the sheets, towels, and other such items.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“If I stay Monday-Thursday, the hotel might not change the sheets”

It depends on the state. In many states, the health code requires that they be changed at very regular intervals, even if there’s only been one guest in the room.

• Dalsnsetters says:

My God you are truly an idiot, aren’t you? What village are you from….we need to return you.

• Commenter24 says:

You’re mixing your legal theories. Was it breach of contract or negligence?

• Clyde Barrow says:

I don’t think so either but of course in the good ole United States, it’s never OUR fault but THEIR fault so show me the money. It’s the American way!

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I think they should do DNA and see if it was the Grandfather’s condom.

• HannahK says:

I agree. I don’t think the hotel should be under too much fire for this. There are lots of other things in hotel rooms that could pose hazardous to a child who doesn’t know how to behave himself long enough for his grandmother to use the restroom in peace. The only reason this is newsworthy is because it’s fascinatingly disgusting.

The kid was obviously shown how to blow up a balloon in the past, he should also have been told never to put one in his mouth. Four years old is old enough to know better, but kids do stupid things all the time. I don’t think there is really any justice possible. It’s an unfortunate situation, all you can do is hope it turns out to be nothing, and deal with the consequences as they come.

14. Sian says:

I sense something fishy about this one. You don’t get symptoms from the herps the day after exposure.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I’m thinking it’s probably a reaction to the condom itself, either the rubber or the spermicide.

But they still need to have the condom (and semen) tested for HIV and any other STDs that are testable this way.

• Blueberry Scone says:

I hope it’s a latex allergy! I have two little kids of my own, and stories like this make my stomach churn. Wasn’t there a story here a few months back, where a toddler found a dildo on the floor of a hotel room and put it in her mouth?

• qualia says:

Could easily be a yeast infection.

15. papastevez says:

Sounds like a latex allergy. White bump(s) would likely take longer to develop. Also, as long as it was just his mouth its not THAT bad if it is herpes. Most kids get exposed to the virus by sharing soda’s and things like that anyway. People are just in denial and call it a cold sore…
    Also, this is really disgusting. Whats really going to be bad is the moment when this kid grows up enough to fully grasp what he did. In 10-12 years he’ll be cleaning out his mouth with listerine for a week straight.

• DarthCoven says:

Listerine? I’d be gargling with straight rubbing alcohol…

• 4Real says:

Cold sores are a form of Herpes. If you get cold sores you have been infected in the past. And you are nasty.. I have never had a Cold sore in my life.

• papastevez says:

Chances are good that you’ve been exposed to the virus and just don’t have any symptoms.

• JMILLER says:

Well good for you. People who have had cold sores are not nasty just because you think you are some high and mighty person. Almost 20% of the population has herpes 1 or 2. Children who have never had sex get cold sores. HERPES IS SPREAD THROUGH SKIN CONTACT. I am guessing nobody would want to let their skin touch you.

• ieatcatastrophe says:

jesus christ, dude. why don’t you crawl back under your bridge and leave the rest of us the eff alone?

why do you hate this child and her grandmother so much? chill out.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Maybe it was his condom.

• JMILLER says:

If some asshole is going to spread lies on a site, I will call them out on it. I know facts don’t get int he way of a good story, so you wouldn’t want it to start now. So YOU go away loser. I don;t owe you any fucking explanation. If you don’t like it, you are free to leave anytime.

• Chaosium says:

“Almost 20% of the population has herpes 1 or 2″

20% might have 2, but much more than 20% has 1.

• tsukiotoshi says:

People often confuse cold sores and canker sores. Canker sores are the white/red mouth sores that are painful but harmless and not herpes. Cold sores are the herpes sores that often appear outside the mouth. People often say cold sore when what they are actually talking about is a canker sore. I don’t know which one was meant in this conversation, but just thought I’d mention it.

But yeah, apparently 90% of people get a cold sore at some point but develop antibodies and never have another one. Knowledge is power!

• Moosenogger says:

I get them constantly. I’ve had cold sores since I was a child, and the virus has somehow spread all the way up to my cheeks. So now I can get them anywhere from my chin to my cheeks. Very gross and irritating.

Cold Sores don’t just “go away.” You don’t get one cold sore and then never have another one. Herpes is a VIRUS, so you don’t simply develop antibodies and be done with it. Viruses don’t work that way.

• RayanneGraff says:

How immature. 90% of the population has the herpes virus, it hardly makes a person “nasty” for having it. YOU probably have it too, it’s just lying dormant. Herpes is nothing to freak out over, it’s a damn SKIN RASH fer chrissakes. My mom gets cold sores and they’re not that big a deal- she has a *scab* for a week & that’s the worst of it.

Grow up.

• Chellie says:

Did you have chicken pox as a kid? Since just about every child on the planet has, I suspect you did.

You’ve had herpes, you nasty thing. And you still have it floating around in your dirty bloodstream.

• Chaosium says:

“And you are nasty.. I have never had a Cold sore in my life. “

You probably still have HSV.

• Clyde Barrow says:

i was thinking the same thing about herpes. not sure about kids today and i don’t see it as often, but when i was a kid in the early 70s, you could bet that about every little boy was going to have cold sores pop up on his mouth sooner or later. sometimes girls too but most often the boys would have them. that was just the way it was. your mom and grandma told you not to pick the sores and to leave them alone. you knew better than than to touch anyone elses and you just dealt with it. i had them although not severe. i had some friends that would get them really bad and they’d stay home from school.

i think the stigma was created when it was realized by doctors that it is the same virus as the STD version, only received differently.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I also remember those days — I used to get terrible cold sores when I was a kid. Thanks to modern medicine, I haven’t had one in over a decade. It’s so nice to just pop a pill when when is coming on.

• shufflemoomin says:

It can’t be a latex allergy. If he was able to identify the object as a balloon and knew what to do to inflate it, then it’s reasonable to assume that he’s been exposed to balloons before. If he had such a severe allergy, they’d know by now at his age.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It could also be a yeast infection

16. hmburgers says:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• Marshmelly says:

my thoughts exactly

• moorie679 says:

Uhh….I rather liked the old comment system…..I lose track of who replied to whom after 7-9 comments because they get pushed down….

• RandomHookup says:

It’s cool how you broke the commenting wall. Looks like a new feature for Consumerist.

• Traveshamockery says:

ZOMG where does it stop? I want to try too.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• ARVash says:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmEWW

• ARVash says:

Sorry about that, at least it only breaks the page when you view the nested comments for the one that breaks the page. Something really should be done to fix that lack of wrap around.

• MuffinSangria says:

Exactly

• Rena says:

+1. I’d be pretty furious just to find the damn thing, whether my theoretical child touched it or not.

17. valkyrievf2x says:

The chances of it being herpes are pretty small. The virus is not very resilient, and once the body temp from the condom wore off, it would have died out. Assuming it WAS herpes, it remains to be seen which type it is. If it is Type !, it will probably be no big deal. Most places estimate 50-80% of the population is exposed to it. We “lovingly” call them cold sores, lol. If it is Type 2 (the normally genital kind), then, well, I think he will have it a bit easier. Type 2 is designed to live down in the nether regions where it does the most damage. Put it somewhere else, and it loses a lot of punch. He’d still have to warn potential lovers later down the line, but he himself wouldn’t have much to worry about.

On the OTHER hand, I don’t know how sturdy the bacterial STD’s are. Chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea are bacterial, and I’m not sure how likely they are to live in the discarded condom. I mean, seems like the condom was in a dark place, and it being moist, it would be a good breeding ground. Thankfully, these are all curable rather easily.

Hoping for a latex allergy, though!!

18. pz says:

Stay classy, Atlanta.

19. YoorCriptonite says:

This may be one of the most horrifying things I’ve ever read about a hotel room.

20. EmanNeercs says:

Most people seem to be assuming that the condom belonged to the previous customer who stayed in the room, but it could very well have also belonged to someone on the staff who thought they’d have a little fun in one of the guest rooms. Either way, it was very negligent that the hotel wouldn’t release the condom to the family for testing (which seems a little suspicious to me)

• Commenter24 says:

The word “Negligent” has a very specific legal meaning. Learn what that meaning is before you use the word.

21. NarcolepticGirl says:

If that happened to me, I probably wouldn’t admit it was mine. Especially after the kid had an allergic reaction. I may wait a week or two until everything blows over and then see my doctor, though.

22. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

My god. When I was a kid, it was “You’re SOL and if you caught something it’s your own damn fault for putting something from the FLOOR in your mouth”

I knew better than that at 2!!!!!!

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I bet you really didn’t know better than that at 2.

Like most people you are probably misremembering your childhood.

And unless you’re in an extreme minority of people, you cannot remember anything at all about being age two, much less a detail like this.

People always like to think they were smarter, or knew better than people who have a problem; that way they can feel comfortable that they wouldn’t have had the problem, because their smarts and knowledge wouldn’t prevented it.

• RayanneGraff says:

I can remember stuff that happened when I was ONE. I have very specific memories of things that I did at that age, things that my parents had even forgotten about until I reminded them.

Some people have VERY good memories, trust me.

• RayanneGraff says:

I miss this kind of parenting. I’m 29 & when I was a kid, I was taught that if I did something dumb & got myself hurt or sick, it was my own damn fault. They would take me to the doctor if need be, but I got no sympathy for any maladies resulting from my own stupidity. In fact, I would get punished for making my parents take time off of work to take me to the hospital.

For example, when I was 4, I did a face plant on the brick steps in front of our house. It was entirely my fault too- Not only had I snuck out of the house to begin with, it was winter & the steps were iced over, and I was jumping from step to step like a retarded wood sprite. I split my lip right open & had to get stitches. Oh, my folks were upset alright, AT ME. They didn’t sue the builder of the house or their landlord for not providing “child-proof steps” or sue the neighbors for not calling the police when they saw an unattended child playing outside. No, they took me to the hospital & then yelled at me for being dumb. Often times my folks would stand by & watch as I did something dumb. Once I got hurt, they would say “Now, what did you learn?” They didn’t let me get BADLY hurt or anything, but if I pulled on the cat’s tail, they would let the cat scratch me so I’d learn not to do that anymore. And I did learn too- a wonderful life lesson called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

*sigh* I miss the 80s.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I agree that 4 year old you was at fault for getting hurt on the steps.

But it’s very sad that your parents yelled at you instead of comforting you.

But that type of upbringing, and the lack of good parenting explains all of your posts.

• pantheonoutcast says:

It should come as no surprise that I like all of his posts. Because they follow the rules of logic, common sense, and personal responsibility.

When I got hurt doing something stupid as a kid, my parents told me I was being stupid. Therefore, I never did those things again. A good parent conditions his child to accept responsibility and subsequently alter behavior based on the outcome. A bad parent coddles his child at every step and thinks the world should protect his little snowflake. A shitty parent blames everyone but himself and never ever blames his kid, even when the kid is clearly wrong.

Which one explains all of your posts?

• Lollerface says:

Do you have kids? If so how unfortunate, if not then you dont have any clue WTF you’re talking about.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Ninety percent of your past comments seem to be of the “If you don’t have kids, then you don’t know what you’re talking about” variety. I can’t play the piano, nor do I own one, but when I’m at a concert, I can certainly tell when someone is doing a shitty job banging away at the keys.

Besides, I deal with children and their parents for a living, and have for a decade. You know about exactly one type of child – your own – and your successes and failures as a parent can be traced to a limited number of variables. Conversely, my training, education, and experience allows me to identify an almost limitless array of social, economic, psychological, and developmental variables, and more importantly, I possess both the experiential and academic knowledge on how to approach and successfully deal with those variables.

Your qualifications to raise children are that you possess 1) Sperm and 2) a willing recipient of said sperm. I might not have any kids that share my DNA, but I know more about parenting than you will ever know. Ever.

• qualia says:

I don’t really see any practical experience with childcare or knowledge of childhood development in your posts. I see a lot of silly theories and expectations that fall apart upon actually having to care for a child AND which don’t match up with current child development theory. You sound like a teenager who thinks he knows everything about a subject because he’s been told too many times oh so smart he is and read a book on it once.

You can know a lot about it, but you’d be crap at the actual job with your apparent expectations. Sorry.

• qualia says:

Small children need comfort. You can still tell them to be careful, but pat-pats leave them more capable of forming real interpersonal attachments and empathy as they grow up. And besides, 4 years old and below? A lot of their accidents are either because they don’t have the motor coordination or YOUR fault. So you use it as a teachable moment (if there’s anything to learn) and then lots of hugs.

With older kids, you can be less demonstrative. But it’s entirely possible to let your kid know he was being a dumb ass while kissing booboos.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m sorry you split your lip, but “retarded wood sprite” made me spit Pop-Tart all over my keyboard.

23. evnmorlo says:

Public places really some sort of vacuum incinerator shoots for condom and tampon disposal.

patent pending

24. bblawson says:

We found pills on our floor once, when our son was in the crawling stage. And another time we found a partial bottle of alcohol in the cabinet when we stayed in one of those “extended stay” hotels. I’m sure it wasn’t left just for our convenience!

25. .b.e.x. says:

While looking under a hotel bed, I found a used tampon … and it was not mine.

YUCK!

26. bigd738778 says:

LOL. I’m going to Hell. Oh well I might as well say Imaginationland.

27. FrugalFreak says:

Hotel wanted to destroy evidence to prevent lawsuit.

28. CPC says:

UGHHH! I’ve seen some sick stuff online, but this…

29. slimeburg says:

Nice detail about how he was sticking his tongue into the used condom. I don’t get the part about the hotel staff not “letting” them keep the condom. If I wanted to keep it to have it tested I wouldn’t have asked their permission and wouldn’t care one bit about what they have to say about anything. Believe that I would be leaving with that condom – even if it means the hotel clerk get carried out later.

30. wackydan says:

Oral herpes… If he go them that quickly on his lips then it is HSV type 1… the form of herpes that near 90% of all Americans have orally anyway… Cold sore anyone?

31. Spiro_Agnew says:

This story is horrifying. Some of the comments are actually more horrifying than the story. Yes, I am talking about you JMILLER.

32. Spiro_Agnew says:

Are post with these tags is bound to be full of WIN.

HORRIFYING, HERPES, CHILDREN, FREE BALLOONS, HOTELS, STDS, CONDOMS, CLEANLINESS

33. Leohat says:

YUCK.
    YUCK a Stick.
    YUCK on a Stick with sprinkles.

34. ellemdee says:

When I was in elementary school, a kid found a used condom on the playground at recess. I think you know what happened from there.

35. Chaosium says:

More likely that he got it from his parents than any condom.