The Goodyear Manager That Will Never Let You Down

We really hope he likes that song and has a good sense of humor. Judging by the picture, he seems like a friendly guy, so we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

[Via BuzzFeed]

Comments

1. Nighthawke says:

Um, uh.. Right…. *Checks his pants to see if his wallet is still there…*

2. MTFaye says:

Really? These off-topic posts are getting a little ridiculous.

3. brianisthegreatest says:

haha. i hope this guy is a huge prankster.

4. sonneillon says:

Ahhh a Rick Roll. It’s been a while. Off to youtube.

• jeffbone says:

Careful. You never know when you might accidentally encounter a Snuggie doing the Macarena.

(no, in the interest of maintaining my sanity I’m not going to provide an actual link)

5. PunditGuy says:

Who. “Who will never let you down.” Whos are for people, thats are for things — unless the rules have changed over the years, in which case, never mind.

• syzygy says:

So where does “which” fit in?

• kc2idf says:

Somewhere near “whatever!”

• PunditGuy says:

Whichs are also for things, when the clause is set off by commas. “He’s the Goodyear Manager who will never let you down.” “The Goodyear that he manages will never let you down.” “The Anyville Goodyear, which is located on Sullivan Street, will never let you down.”

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I guess the actual song bugs the crap out of you, what with the “never gonna”s flying everywhere.

• PunditGuy says:

The actual song bugs the hell out of me for reasons that have nothing to do with grammar. And I don’t expect the entire world to be grammatical — kittehs can has a pass, for example. But a professionally edited blog? Yeah, some English skills would be nice.

• quijote says:

PedanticGuy, I’d argue that nouns like ‘manager’ are ambiguous in this way. They can either refer to positions, classes, etc., that people might fill, and which are THINGS, or they can refer to actual people. In any case, on the spectrum of grammatical errors, I think this is pretty minor.

• PunditGuy says:

Oh, I totally agree. Of course, there’s a damn picture of the guy with the article, which would seem to indicate that it’s a person.

• quijote says:

Well, I was thinking a logically expanded version of the sentence might be something like “Here is a particular example of the type ‘manager’ that will never let you down (and this example happens to be a person who is named Rick Roll).” I could be wrong. It seems to be one of those borderline cases.

6. jeffbone says:

That poor guy is probably going to wonder why his mailbox is bursting at the seams with links to Youtube videos…at least until the Goodyear mail servers collapse under the load…

7. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

I called him to say how much I liked his service, he said…

“We’re no strangers to love…”

8. Quake 'n' Shake says:

I’d say that “judging by the picture,” he’s one missed McDonald’s breakfast cut-off time from going postal on the world.

9. HogwartsProfessor says:

Ha ha! That’s funny!

Thanks for the giggle, Consumerist. :)

10. Extended-Warranty says:

Seriously? Now even your name can get you on the consumerist…

11. jwissick says:

Godyear is a place to NEVER have your car worked on…. especially brakes.

Last year on a brake overhaul, they filled my master cylinder with GEAR OIL. It destroyed my entire brake system and had to be completely rebuilt….. The manager was a weasel and even impersonated me with another shop to get them to try to take the blame.

Even after the authorities found all sorts of shenanigans going on there and issued tons of fines, Goodyear never fired him… he still works there to this day.

Real lowdown slimy company.