Barcode Scan Items To Your Shareable Grocery List With GroceryIQ

The GroceryIQ app for iOS and Android lets you scan product barcodes to add them to your grocery list, and even share them with roommates or family members.

Befitting an app made by Coupons.com, the app also pushes free coupons to you. And if you’re one of those ultra-efficient shopper types, you can even sort the items on your list by which aisle they’re in.

It’s a free download, though syncing shared lists with others requires signing up for the GroceryIQ service.

Grocery iQ

(Thanks to fantomesq and VeganPixels for pointing these out in the comments on “What Apps Do You Use To Be A Smarter Consumer?“)

Comments

1. smo0 says:

Don’t do this at Ulta3 they’ll boot you out of the store!!

2. ColHapablap says:

I guess the purpose of this is to scan items you’ve already bought for future trips? I doubt the coupons could be used from your phone, or that the app knows what your own grocery store’s layout is…

• ageekymom says:

You’re right, the coupons can’t be used right from your phone, but you can send them to a wireless printer (I wish other apps had this capability!)
      You can rearrange the aisles to fit your store, or add different aisles. You can add stores, each with their own “favorites” list. I’ve been using this app for about 6 months and I love it! I often scan items as I’m placing them in my cart, and I scan things I already have, to add to a favorites list for each store.

• GearheadGeek says:

I installed the Android version of this app just now, and I can add items without barcodes. For example, I just added apples to my “Favorites” and to a shopping list. It lets you have more than just one, in fact… you can specify different varieties of apples as well. I haven’t fooled with the layout thing, but that should be nice if it’s flexible enough. My partner thinks it’s crazy that I’ll rewrite the list so it goes in a similar order to my usual path through the store, and he knows I’m a geek, so he’ll probably get a kick out of me installing an app that does it for me.

3. NettyM says:

You can e-mail the list to someone without signing up for their service. Sadly, that doesn’t mean the person you send it to will actually get the things on the list.

4. nikkimarie says:

I had a similar app for about 10 seconds until I realized you can’t add things if you don’t have the barcode – like when you run out of something and have already thrown out the package –

• operator207 says:

???

Maybe you should look at it before you comment. I add thinks to it all the time.

The other day, I told my wife I needed oil for an oil change (oil is cheaper at walmart than at the auto store). She put “oil” in there. I got the update, and when I had a moment I added the exact type of oil I needed brand and weight. She goes to the store, looks for a moment, finds the oil, bar codes it, and now its there. It didn’t however know what it was, but that is a different problem. You most definitely CAN add things manually to the list in GroceryIQ.

• MercuryPDX says:

Actually the default method for entry is text search, followed by manual entry of the UPC number, and finally barcode scan as a third option.

• GearheadGeek says:

It even lets you add details to the non-barcoded items you add. For example, if you add “Apples” it’ll allow you to choose a variety, so I think you could have Apples: Granny Smith and Apples: Royal Gala, etc.

5. JHF says:

I *heart* GroceryIQ. Unlike the app another poster mentioned, you are not limited to only barcode scanning. In fact, that’s a relatively new feature -it wasn’t there when I started using it two years ago. You can set up multiple stores, each with their own custom aisle arrangements. The syncing across multiple devices is surprisingly well done too. We’ve got our iPad set up as the list master, since it lives in the kitchen, and then all of four of the iPhones in our household are slaved to it. We’ve been running it that way for 3 months now and have yet to have a sync failure data corruption.

I have no vested interest in GroceryIQ nor do I work for coupons.com. I just like this app a lot.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

This is the coolest thing, I’m even more excited to get a new phone now. 5 more days till I’m eligible for my upgrade!

I guess I could technically try the app on my iPod touch first, but without the camera it’ll lose much of it’s “wow, neat!” factor of scanning barcodes.

• Kevin411 says:

FYI you can enter barcodes manually (the numbers at the bottom of the code). This helps when you are in low lighting or if the code is wrapped around a small jar so that you can’t see it all clearly with one camera angle. Most codes on such containers, though, are printed at 90° so that you can see at least part of every line in the code. You can also manually enter anything you want, such as “Gift for Mom” or 3-person-Snuggie and assign it to a store and aisle, or just leave it unassigned. (I love this app!)

• scmill says:

This is the closest app I’ve found to HandyShopper which I used on my old Palm PDA. The grocery list part of it is great, and I love being able to scan in items. But what I like best is the ability to add different types of lists from groceries, packing, handyman, to-do, etc each with their own set of items and “aisles” to choose from. I hadn’t thought about using my iPad as the master list, so thanks for that idea, JHF!

6. j_rose says:

While I like this app, I find that scanning items creates entries that are A LONG LINE OF TEXT whereas searching creates entries with
    Product Name
    Brand Name, Size.

I stick to typing them in. But Love the app!

7. fantomesq says:

Thanks for the nod, Ben! I literally shop five different groceries stores in a week and this app lets me keep the deals I’m looking for organized. Its one of the best and most useful apps on my iPhone. I like its favorite lists – I’ll run down that list in my kitchen before I go.

Small correction – the app was acquired by coupons.com but they’ve done good things with it.

8. thaJack says:

One thing I don’t like is that I can’t add “Cheetos” and have it appear in two different store lists. For example, it’s on one aisle in Kroger and another one in Wal-Mart. Whichever store I end up at first, I’d like to see it in the appropriate aisle.

You have to add it individually to each store.

9. lanigan911 says:

We use an app called OurGroceries. It works across all platforms (including plain old mobile web), and can be edited by everyone who has access.

10. MercuryPDX says:

I just started using this and find it to be one of the more flexible free options available.