10 Top Retail Chains That Are Shrinking

Apparently, people haven’t been spending their unemployment checks at the mall in recent months, because a large number of prominent retail clothing and food chains — from Abercrombie & Fitch to Winn-Dixie — are being forced to shutter stores in the wake of the economic downturn.

Over at DailyFinance.com, they went through the trouble of putting together this list of 10 companies who’ve been put under the retail chain shrink ray.

1. Blockbuster
No. of Stores Closing: 500-545 in 2010

2. Charming Shoppes (Lane Bryant/Fashion Bug/Catherine’s)
No. of Stores Closing: 100 to 120

8. A&P
No. of Stores Closing: 25

9. French Connection
No. of Stores Closing: 17

10. Saks
No. of Stores Closing: 5

Which of these stores do you think will best weather the storm? And which one(s) will you miss most?

10 Big Retailers Closing Stores [DailyFinance.com]

Comments

1. Juhgail says:

Circuit City shrunk too (still laughing about it!!)

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

No way! Circuit City going under was super bad. It means that Best Buy has no competition other than the general retailers.

Unless you’re in CA, and can roll up to a Fry’s. Oh, Fry’s, you and your crazy themed stores. How I miss your dirty halls.

• AstroPig7 says:

Fry’s also exists in Texas, you know. I’d throw an f in a gang sign if I knew how.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Is a Fry’s store bigger in Texas? Please say it is.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Everyone who works at my local Fry’s is Ethiopian. I’d ask them if the Fry’s here are bigger but I wouldn’t understand the answer.

• AstroPig7 says:

The Fryߣs location in Garland has cow statues over the door that moo at you.

• Dallas_shopper says:

That’s a nice Fry’s. I’m near the one in Plano which doesn’t seem to have any distinguishable theme. I don’t know what its theme is, but I confess I don’t pay much attention to the store’s decor.

• lain1k says:

Don’t forget Vegas has a Fry’s too! It’s unsurprisingly casino themed. Everyone has a love hate relationship with Fry’s. Crappy service but big selection and decent prices. Everything at Best Buy is super overpriced.

• Skyblacker says:

I used to live in Northern California and I loved the Fry’s there! They just had everything I needed and, as far as I could tell, the prices were very fair and accurate.

When I married, I gave my entire wedding party mp3 players from Fry’s. They were Creative brand, which was half the price of iPods but still quite elegant!

• jaydez860 says:

In CT PC Richard & Sons just moved into 2 old Circuit City locations. Both are directly accross the street from Best Buy.

They both opened last week.

• mac-phisto says:

meh. i don’t miss CC. i still have at least 3 stores to check for electronics before i end up there:
        1) newegg
        2) amazon
        3) costco

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Is Costco any good for little stuff, like say USB routers?

I’m looking for an excuse to become a member…

• MaxPower says:

It can be pretty tough to find smaller items – something they have them and sometimes they don’t. They’re mostly a good spot for big ticket TVs and things of that nature.

However, Costco is pretty great in general for buying food and things – especially if you have a big family or are having a party. It can be a little wasteful if you live by yourself.

• mac-phisto says:

it all depends. i have 2 near me – one doesn’t have anything good when it comes to electronics, but the other one has quite a selection – at least a quarter of the store is all electronics.

• brinks says:

Ohio (and who knows who else) has HH Gregg. Good store, nice people, haven’t seen any sleazy tactics yet.

• Emperor Norton I says:

Fry’s is also just outside Chicago in Downer’s Grove.
        No theme except old photos of the Downer family, which is how the town got its name.

• NotEd says:

I never noticed those pictures.

The good news is that the ex-Circuit City near me is finally reopening. OK, as a Halloween Express store, but still, OPEN!

And the CompUSA in Naperville, IL reopened after spending a little while as a TigerDirect store. Don’t know if that is good news or not.

• trey says:

hhgregg kicks best buy’s ass in prices

• Johnny Longtorso says:

They opened up an HH Gregg in Virginia Beach a few months ago. I went in to check it out and got accosted by no less than three pushy employees in five minutes, so they’re off my list of stores to shop at.

• mbz32190 says:

Around in the Philly area, the loss of Circuit City brought in THREE new electronics chains to the area…

HH Gregg took over a bunch of stores
      P.C. Richard (mainly a NY chain) moved into a handful of stores
      6th Ave. Electronics (mostly Northern NJ) now has two or three locations in the area.

And are much better, price-wise, than Circuit City. With the economy though, I’m not sure they will all be able to compete.

2. Southern says:

The Mens Warehouse closings kinda surprised me, as they’re always advertising and (seemed!) to be doing fairly well.

• marillion says:

Agreed.. I would hate to see mine close.. I get all my suit and business casual stuff there.. I love the service and the sales are pretty awesome.

• Southern says:

Aye, I’ve bought a couple of suits from ‘em, and I think they’re pretty top notch.. After reading more of the story though, it appears they’re mostly consolidating stores from another chain that they purchased a couple of years ago into nearby Mens Warehouse stores.. Which makes sense.

• JMILLER says:

People have cut back on weddings and proms (a big chunk of business for them). Man are not buying suits since the people who wear suits are middle level managers and they are the ones being laid off. High level execs buy their clothes at higher end stores. This is the least surprising to me.
      AF is a matter of style and tastes changing with their core market. When you cater to youth, you always run that risk. No kid wants to wear the same shirt as a 30 year old is wearing.
      Winn Dixie and AP have struggled for years. Poor management and competition have made them after thoughts in the business.
      Blockbuster is obvious.
      THe most surprising is the Lane Bryant one I guess. I do not know much about them, but with as many fat people as there are in the country, I can see them growing. I guess tents are cheaper .

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think it’s also a shift in style as well. MW suits are cut much differently than what is currently in style, which is the 60s Mad Men-type slimmer suits and thinner ties. It’s also a cultural thing, at least IMO. MW is where my dad went for a suit, not where my husband goes for suits. We hit Banana Republic when he needs a new suit.

• shadowboxer524 says:

I ordered a suit by “Top American Fashion Designer” Michael Kors through Men’s Wearhouse, and it is a very modern, slender cut. I love it!

The place that screams “my dad’s suit” to me is JoS. A. Bank.

• johnyg30518 says:

You might be paying for the latest trend of suits at MW, but you are also buying a label. You know all those “Buy 1, get 2 free” sales at Banks? That’s what is driving sales there. Since Banks has zero outside labels, and thus lower product costs, I’d bet the farm that sales margins are higher at Banks than MW. Less margin means less income per sale. Also, since those same labels cater to the trendier male, they have to buy clothes more often to stay ahead. If the same suits and cuts are around for long periods, you can cut costs by buying more at one time, but not again for some time afterwards.

It’s simple business basics.

• redskull says:

You’d think they’d be doing well right now selling interview suits to people.

3. lain1k says:

I never understood how A&F stayed in business this long.

• nova3930 says:

A&F can’t close. Where else would I get my large dose of gag inducing funk-smell as I’m cruising the mall…..

• vastrightwing says:

parent’s money. Come on, how long can a parent tolerate hearing their children beg them for the latest trend in clothes. Doesn’t matter how much it costs. Fortunately, there are limits. At least H&M is reasonably priced.

• lukesdad says:

Stupid teenagers with too much money.

• brinks says:

There are a lot of douche bags out there. Unfortunately, that demographic doesn’t seem to be getting smaller. I think the decline is only due to said douche bags becoming poorer.

• rockasocky says:

I hope A&F dies quickly, and I will do a dance on the day I hear they are gone for good

4. Muddie says:

Places like Saks and AE should be fine as long as they beef up their online presence.

Winn-Dixie and Blockbuster, not so much

5. moorie679 says:

I have never done any business with any of these chains…Cant believe Starbucks is not in here, boggled my mind when I was driving down the highway I saw two signs for Starbucks at the same exit, curious and had to pee I took the exit……could not believe my eyes 2 Starbucks 200 feet from each other……reminded me of lewis black’s bit…..

• haggis for the soul says:

I think Starbucks did all of their store closings a couple of years ago. They got rid of tons of them, including the one in my town.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

I guess that’s why the stuffed kitty in your avatar is smiling then? %] Personally, I can’t fathom what makes Starbucks so attractive to people. Their coffee’s gawd-awful and way overpriced, and I could never, ever bring myself to ever buying anything to eat in there–because that would mean I may actually have to sit down at a table, probably next to some douchebag with a MacBook believing he’s so important because he’s sitting in a Starbucks with a MacBook sipping his mocha latte for an hour +, mooching the Wifi. I just hope he’s an idiot who gets all his passwords leeched from the guy in the back sniffing the Wifi network. Sorry for the digression, but isn’t that life at Starbucks?

• Coelacanth says:

Starbucks is a bonanza for the newly unemployed. People might set up their “home office” and camp out for hours on end just to get out of the house/apartment.

• danmac says:

You’ll never be as amazed by that phenomenon as you would be in downtown Seattle. It’s pretty amazing.

• moorie679 says:

is it because people do not want to cross the street ? or is it due to space limitations, like one store just runs out of space and they couldn’t have a bigger store so they rented out two smaller ones ?

• Shmonkmonk says:

My understanding is that once a store reaches a certain volume (let’s say, hypothetically, 1 mil a year) they open up another store in the vicinity to grow the business. For a coffee house, it makes sense. If they were to just expand the size of the store (assuming that’s possible which, in most cities, it’s not) to attract more business they would be faced with longer lines, a more crowded (and louder) lobby, more congested parking, etc- basically everything a customer would NOT want to deal with before they’ve had their coffee.

This is common amongst retailers. In a time when customers are telling them that the one thing they value most is their time, it’s better to have several smaller, quicker and easier to shop locations than one massive shopping mecca.

• marillion says:

And then, add to that, any place that sells Seattle’s Best Coffee is really selling Starbucks, as they own the company.. LOL

• JulesNoctambule says:

Where my husband works, there are no fewer than three Starbucks in a single block. It’s so bizarre to me that it’s almost breathtaking.

• Kristoffer says:

There is a mall near me where there is a Starbucks on the lower level and one on the upper level. There is also one inside the bookstore that’s attached to the mall. I always wondered if people were so lazy that they couldn’t make it from one level to the other for their coffee.

I guess it’s all about convenience because on the opposite side of the street from the mall there is a Starbucks inside another bookstore, two on the same road that the mall is on and one inside the Target. All this within a 1/2 mile range. Within a mile of these 7 locations there is another inside a Kroger grocery store and another 2 freestanding locations.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

If American Eagle Outfitters closes, I am barricading myself in the store to buy every single pair of their jeans in my size. They’re truly my favorite brand of jeans.

Blockbuster closing 500+ stores doesn’t seem really devastating because it still has over 6,700 stores in the US and worldwide, but because they closed 300+ stores last year, it doesn’t seem like it’ll stop closing them and I think that’s the biggest reason for the devastation. It’s not one or two spurts of store closures, it’s the upward trend in closures. Abercrombie and Fitch might survive a few bad seasons, but Blockbuster probably won’t because its best times were before Netflix really hit its stride and took the market. It’s been a long time coming.

• lain1k says:

I’m a big fan of A&E too (grabbed 3 pairs of jeans last time when I found out they were discounted at 50% off and then discount again for 50% off). They used to be better priced, but have been getting more and more expensive. Luckily their clothes go on sale really quickly and are usually a good deal. They are starting to remind me of the GAP, same clothes every year that are too expensive.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I got my last pair for $27. I haven’t seen a big fluctuation in prices, since I usually only buy them when they’re on sale and only every few years.

• Marshmelly says:

Same here. I love the Aerie brand so much…so comfy.

• ngoandy says:

It is AE that is closing. It is their upscale brand, Martin & Osa.

7. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Not like they could afford anything on employment at ANY of these stores.

8. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Not like they could afford anything on unemployment at ANY of these stores.

• Southern says:

American Eagle is pretty reasonably priced, actually. It surprised me, as I expected A&F type prices there when I took my daughter shopping, and we hit AE, A&F, and Forever 21..

Forever 21 had the BEST prices, AE was next, and A&F was the absolute WORST..

What killed me about A&F is I saw two pairs of jeans there.. One was brand new; they wanted $85 for it. Right next to it was the EXACT same pair of new jeans – same size, same color, everything.. Except they were ripped up, had patches all over ‘em, basically looked like hobo paints – and they wanted $150 for THOSE.

I laughed all the way out of the store. People who buy that crap are just stupid sheep.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Forever 21 has the best prices but the quality is much lower than AE or even Aerie. When I was a teen I shopped at Forever 21 but nothing ever lasted more than a year and that was okay at the time since I was more focused on trends. Now I’m in my 20s and I can’t shop at Forever 21 because everything is way too trendy and way too gaudy, but AE jeans are still my favorite because they fit me better than other brands.

• chocolate1234 says:

Maybe this is an isolated incident, but I bought two skirts at Forever 21 in 2004 that are still in good shape, and I still wear to this day. I haven’t ever purchased much else from there, so I don’t know if I was just lucky.

9. smo0 says:

2. Charming Shoppes (Lane Bryant/Fashion Bug/Catherine’s)
    No. of Stores Closing: 100 to 120

These are actually super cheap – especially if you’re looking for work clothes… no work, no need for the clothes….

10. Saks
    No. of Stores Closing: 5

How the hell did they make it passed 2008?!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I had no idea Fashion Bug still existed. It always seemed like it was trying too hard to be Dress Barn and Casual Corner – and to try to be either one of those and still fail is truly a tragedy.

• redskull says:

I’ve always been fascinated that there’s a store called Dress Barn. Could there be a more unappealing name for a ladies’ clothing store? Every time I hear it all I can think of our big ol’ cows.

• zekebullseye says:

I totally agree. Dress barn is the worst name for a store ever.

• CalicoGal says:

I recently started buying work clothes from Dress Barn after YEARS of vowing never to go in there due to their “unfortunate” name. But I like the stuff I get there– wash, dry, wear! No ironing, hold up well in the wash.

Now Fashion Bug, I stopped shopping there years ago when I put a garment in the washer and it came out completely shapeless. Whatever sizing or fabric stiffener they put on it was gone after one wash and the item looked like it had been worn to the gym and then to bed!
            Their quality is the pits. Now that I see that they and Lane Bryant are the same parent company, I know why Lane Bryant quality is poor also.

• sufreak says:

Super cheap? FB only has cheap in terms of quality. For the same price, go 20 feet in either direction in the strip mall they’re in, and go there.

• Conformist138 says:

Lane Bryant is NOT cheap. I am so glad I don’t wear plus sizes anymore cuz it was pretty rediculous last time I went in there for a simple pair of black leggings. They were $45! I ran out of there and down to a run-down Sears at the other end of the mall. Found a pair of leggings for $8.

10. NarcolepticGirl says:

Never been to any of these – except when I was 18 and my boyfriend had a Blockbuster membership – we used it about 3 times.

11. MFfan310 says:

Abercrombie & Fitch is opening 16 US stores in the same timeframe as the 60 US store closings (3 A&F, three abercrombie kids, three Hollister, two GIlly Hicks, and five A&F outlets). So it really should be a net loss of 44 US stores for them.

That being said, I got tired of A&F ten years ago, when I was in high school and everyone was wearing their clothes. Though one direct competitor that I really like, Express, is opening up locally shortly. I will be interested to see if it the high-fashion look of Express will hurt A&F’s “preppy clothes” business, plus that of American Eagle, which, like A&F, has been hurt by cut-rate preppy clothes from Aéropostale. H&M and Forever 21 are also at the same mall and do very well.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I like Express a lot. I get a lot of my work clothes from there. Express always runs great sales and has a lot of coupons. The quality is pretty good too. I have a pair of pants I bought six years ago that are still holding up well.

• barb95 says:

I love, love Express. Their editor pants and jeans are made in heaven. I have about 10 pairs of the editor pants and never have to try them on at the store when I buy them. I just know they fit perfectly. My outfit today is all Express!

• JDR01 says:

Express and A&F are both Limited Brand comapanies. Or at least they used to be.

• MFfan310 says:

You are correct that they used to be divisions of Limited Brands. Abercrombie & Fitch was spun off in 1996, Express in 2007. Both are now publicly traded (A&F is ticker symbol ANF while Express is EXPR; both on the NYSE). Limited Brands now focuses on Victoria’s Secret/Pink, Bath & Body Works/C.O. Bigelow, Henri Bendel, and La Senza (in Canada).

For that matter, Limited Brands owned at some point in their history:
        -Galyan’s (shares sold between 1999-2004; stores are now Dick’s Sporting Goods)
        -Lane Bryant (sold to Charming Shoppes/Fashion Bug in 2002)
        -The Limited (sold in 2007)
        -Limited Too (now Justice; spun off in 1999 as Too, Inc./Tween Brands, merged with Dress Barn in 2009)
        -New York & Company (spinoff date unknown)
        -Structure (converted to Express Men in 2001; Structure brand now used by Sears)

12. scottpee says:

lane bryant is surely closing stores because any locations open more than a year are filthy. it looks like a discount chain, but without the discount prices. i hate going there with my wife. the store at woodland hills mall in tulsa is without excuse. the carpet looks like a warshak test.

13. AllanG54 says:

I only know of one A & P store in Old Bridge, New Jersey but they also own Pathmark and Waldbaums so I don’t know how much closing the A & P will matter. I remember they had a few stores in Brooklyn when I was growing up but that’s nearly 50 years ago so they already had one round of downsizing. As for the others, I think the only ones who will really care are the mall owners because empty shops look terrible, like a blight on the whole mall, whether it’s a strip mall or an indoor one.

• Jevia says:

A&P owns Pathmark and Superfresh stores in PA. I have one of each near me and I think the Pathmark is closing. Its a shame because it has a nice underground parking area for rainy days or super hot days. But the Superfresh is in a better location, so that’s probably why it gets to stay open.

14. Daverson says:

A&P has seen up and down cycles throughout the life of the chain. I have a feeling they’ll weather this downturn. This kind of thing seems to be endemic to supermarkets.

Blockbuster, though…hard to imagine that they’ve got many years left. There are too many excellent alternatives nowadays, what with Netflix, Redbox, and so on.

15. captadam says:

I don’t look for Winn-Dixie or A&P to survive at all–they’re shrink to whatever tiny profitable cores they have and then be combined with other grocers.

A&F–I have to wonder how much time they have. Their core demographic is growing up and, hopefully, realizing that they look pretty stupid wearing clothes emblazoned with “Abercrombie and Fitch.” Of course, I still see lots of “Hollister” wear on the young ones, so maybe they do have a future.

• DingoAndTheBaby says:

They just opened one in Tokyo. There’s literally a line to get into the store. Now, generally, it seems that the Japanese LOVE standing in line anyway, but this is even beyond the affinity-for-lines. And the prices are about 75% more than in the US. But, Japan is very consumerism-oriented, so having AnF is a HUGE status symbol. It’s so sad, really.

16. Chip Skylark of Space says:

I miss the Abercrombie & Fitch stores from about 1990. That’s before the dimmed lighting, before the bare chested chic, and before the bedbugs. Back when I could go into their store and knowing I had a reasonable chance of finding a shirt that would look and feel good, that I could wear to work but knowing that it would last forever.

• jason in boston says:

Agreed – and the actual silk screen with ink on their shirts. Now, they use mostly plasticol which just feels weird and looks cheap.

With that said, the clearance section of their website has really good deals that even Filene’s Basement can’t touch.

• captadam says:

And the driving bass.

BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM

So funny to be at some podunk mall in some midwestern farm town and see kids go into this place, as though they’re in California or something.

17. haggis for the soul says:

I don’t mind the A&F stores closing because the perfume stench coming out of the store as I walk by gives me a pounding headache.

18. dg says:

CrockBuster can rot in hell…

Men’s Warehouse – I’d miss it the one by me closed – great service, selection, pricing…

19. sirhc says:

I hate to see even more stores closing. If it means I don’t have to smell a toxic level of cologne walking through the mall, I can’t help feeling a little good about it.

20. valthun says:

Mens Warehouse should be able to weather it, I am guessing their closures are due to rapid growth more than anything. Once you build too many in one area something has to break. Businesses need to learn from past mistakes of other companies. Levitt’s Furniture is one of those they need to look at. They spread accross the country in the 80’s and 90’s only to shutter 90% of those stores within a decade.

21. selkie says:

Winn Dixie continues to be in a forced retreat in the war against Publix in their Southeastern core markets. They can’t compete with Publix on quality, and can’t compete with Walmart on price, and “The Beef People’ slogan only gets you so far.

22. Suisei says:

Awwe, I purchase most of my clothing from American Eagle. Those are the only trousers that fit my very slim frame (waist size 28-29) without looking horribly baggy (which is very tacky to me)

• brinks says:

I don’t buy anything there except for jeans. They fit well and last forever. Well worth it.

I doubt we’ll see all of these stores go, just a few of the less-profitable ones in each market.

23. brinks says:

I think it might be more about how they’re spending their rent money and less about the overall financial health of the company (except for Blockbuster).

The stores listed above that are in malls might be closing some older locations because of the size of the store. Does anyone remember the cavernous size many mall chain clothing stores used to be in the early 1990’s vs. the size of the stores today? Stores just can’t do the dollars-per-square-foot volume they used to, so they either have to switch to a smaller location (the Limited started doing that several years ago) or just close up in that location entirely. I’ve also seen a few stores that I used to work for (like the Gap) open up in the biggest, newest, highest volume locations it can and then slowly shut down most of the older, lower volume stores in the area. Companies will no longer let a slower store float along. They seem to be pretty quick to pull the plug these days, and understandably so.

Oh, and it’s funny how Blockbuster’s closing all these stores, yet the online job boards are always FILLED with open positions.

24. thrashanddestroy says:

I didn’t even know A&P markets were still around.

My parents moved when I was 7, but up till then, we had one down the street from us and I have quite a few memories of being dragged around there by my mom every Friday when she went grocery shopping. It since became an arts and crafts flea market and I had no idea those suckers were still around.

Also nice to see Fashion Bug closing down, another place I was dragged into regularly. God how I hated Fashion Bug, but I knew I had to deal with it before I got to go to Toys ‘r Us.

/end nostalgic rant

• DerangedHermit says:

A&P basically now only exists between the NYC, Philly and DC metro areas although they do own Pathmark, Waldbaums, Superfresh and Food Emporium.

• DerangedHermit says:

25. Trollez says:

The type of companies that will do well as a result of these store closings will be TJ Maxx/Marshall’s and Christmas Tree Shops here in the north east. Men’s Warehouse bought all the Mr. Tux locations and are probably going to close them and consolidate into their original stores since many of those offer very little retail space and MW around here expand to much more than just suits.

26. HogwartsProfessor says:

I still go to Blockbuster from time to time, so I guess I would miss that. I don’t buy clothes at the other places because I can’t afford them and the grocery stores aren’t in my area.

27. Dallas_shopper says:

Not sorry to see any of those go, won’t miss any of them.

28. zekebullseye says:

I went to our local mall last week for the first time in years. Every store catered to teens. I couldn’t find anything I liked ( 30-something female.) Yes, there’s an A & F right in the middle. Not to mention all the awful kiosks (no I don’t need a new phone, thanks, and my skin is just fine.). The mall was deserted even though it was a Sunday afternoon. When I remarked about this to a shopkeeper, she told me that the teens don’t come anymore because they have to be accompanied by an adult. Before they enacted this rule it was full of unruly kids. It’s calmer now but the merchants are suffering.

29. ARP says:

I’m surprised more “mid-range” department stores aren’t hurting. As we become more and more a society of have and have-nots, I’d assume those stores would suffer the most. With the wealthy going to Nordy’s and Nieman Marcus and the rest going to Old Navy, etc. I know there’s some room in the middle, but think there’s just less of it.

30. incubusmac says:

I actually work for American Eagle Outfitters and we had a store close in or district. It closed because the rent became too expensive. I understand that some companies are failing, but with over 1,000 stores some are bound to close for one reason or another.

Blockbuster may be failing, but it wood seem the overs have a normal business model running for stores that hurt the bottom line, not due to failure of the company, but greater cost for a specific store.

31. Starfury says:

The only stores on the list that my family goes into is Lane Bryant…and they’re really expensive so Target tends to get the bulk of our clothing $$.

32. Andy S. says:

Hardly a surprise in the bunch. People aren’t willing to spend money on overpriced, low-quality “designer” clothes, but they are willing to spend money at grocery stores that actually bother to keep things in stock, keep their stores clean, and keep enough staff on-hand to keep check-out lines reasonable. And Blockbuster us just screwed.

I wouldn’t miss a single one of these businesses if they disappeared today.

33. Mundo says:

I don’t know much about Bebe, but after their ads down here just creeped me out (with models that looked dazed and confused about where they were), I’m kind of glad to read they’re closing up shops.

34. vonvand says:

After two bad experiences with Men’s Warehouse, I am surprised they have any stores left.

35. Gamma1099 says:

A&P did acquire Pathmark recently. Many of the 25 closing stores are in overlapping areas.

Our town did have both Mens Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank. MW has survived, JAB is now an empty storefront.

36. oldwiz65 says:

i won’t miss any of them.