Salt Can Shell Your Nuts, Clean Your Hands

If anyone’s going to stand up for salt, it’s gonna be the Salt Institute. Yahoo Shine’s Green blog sifts through the organization’s 14,000 uses for sodium chloride and comes up with 46 of its favorites. Here are a few salt uses from that list you may never have considered:

*Nut shelling. Soak nuts in salt water for a couple hours to make it easier to disrobe them.

Cleaning your oven. After you’ve finished cooking, salt the fresh glop of cheese, or whatever, that’s spilled to the bottom of your oven. The salt will crustify the glop and make it easier to clean once it cools down.

*Washing your hands. Salt is apparently a natural odor absorber, especially in a vinegar solution.

Healing stings. It seems tossing salt onto the wound, at least when that wound is a bee sting, will salve the pain rather than magnify it.

Preserving cheese. Stave off mold by wrapping cheese in a salt water-soaked towel.

Salt also made for a pretty decent summer action flick.

What’s your favorite unorthodox salt use?

46 smart uses for salt [Yahoo]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Won’t my nuts get all waterlogged if I soak them for hours? If I use cold water, will there be shrinkage? Plus, will people still love my nuts if they are too salty?

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

+1 for 12 yr old boy humor.

• edison234 says:

Deeeez nuuuuuts!

• Muddie says:

The case surrounding your nuts is usually already textured, so any effects of waterlogging will most likely be indeterminate.

Cold water will cause the case surrounding your nuts to shrink, however once removed and left to rest, your nuts will return to their normal size.

If you feel that your guests will find your nuts too salty, try to be sure to have some fluids ready that they may rinse their mouth with. Try to find something warm with a nice viscosity as that tends to coat the tongue and prevent further discomfort from enjoying your salty nuts.

• DrRonster says:

Maybe we should test your nuts with a slap chop. “You’ll love my nuts.”

• stormbird says:

Just keep Vince the Slap Chop Guy away from your nuts.

What? I meant the guy has a criminal record and rage issues.

• banmojo says:

+1 for making me laugh so early on a Tuesday :^)))

• Salty Johnson says:

Did somebody say salty nuts?

2. bendee says:

Doesn’t washing hands with salt dry them out?

Oh, and the term ‘rubbing salt in your wounds’ stems from that. It hurts to hear it, but helps you overcome it. Speaking of that use, when you’re at the beach and get a bad cut/scrape, spend a little more time in the ocean. It’ll heal the wound faster (but don’t go out too deep with an open wound; Jaws’ll get ya!)

3. ScottyB says:

I think I have to ignore this article after that claim that “Salt also made for a pretty decent summer action flick. ”

4. tgrwillki says:

What can’t salt do? Be the name of a good movie.

5. ysthsncnsmrst says:

Artificially age beef, make a good baking crust for fish

6. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Salt & Vinegar. Yummy flavor and probably two of the most useful substances known to man. Well, besides water, probably.

7. stormbird says:

I’ve been using it for a while when I get egg white on the stove. Maybe I should stop using a .22 to crack the shells? Then again, I’d have to scramble them myself if I didn’t use the rifle.

8. dbeahn says:

After conquering an old enemy, I like to burn their cities to the ground and then spread salt over their farm lands.

• Cameraman says:

You should totally sell the population into bondage, too, so you can pay your army to besige the next town over. Being a horde manager is nice, but in today’s economy, you’ve got to be self-sustaining as well as brutal.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Don’t forget the pillaging.

• JonStewartMill says:

Do you have a different approach for dealing with young enemies?

9. JonStewartMill says:

To clean cast-iron cookware without destroying the ‘seasoning’, scrub with salt then wipe with a paper towel. (stolen from the Joy of Cooking)

10. ahecht says:

kosher salt and oil make a perfect mild abrasive for cleaning cast iron cookware without ruining the seasoning on the pan.

Beyond that, I use the salt-drain-rinse method for removing excess moisture from cucumbers, onions, cabbage, apples, and other similar foods before using them in salads, slaws, salsas, and chutneys.

• snowmentality says:

Doesn’t even have to be kosher. I just cleaned a cast-iron pan with regular old table salt and some cheap vegetable oil. Scrub it around with a paper towel.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Kosher salt is better because it doesn’t dissolve as easy cooler water, so you can just rinse out the pan and get all the salt out.

11. FatLynn says:

Use it to wash your hands after handling hot peppers.

12. BuddhaLite says:

If you’re a tea drinker nothing looks nastier than a mug with a tea stain. Salt works the best for cleaning that out.

• CFinWV says:

It’s great for cleaning out water bottles with stains, toss in some ice chunks (obviously small enough to get into the bottle) and some salt and shake shake shake.

13. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

is the pic an age estimated boxxy deriv?

14. Big Mama Pain says:

Sprinkle salt on your cocktail napkin or coaster, and it will never stick the the bottom of your glass.

Mix kosher salt with enough water to form a paste and pack it around a beef roast to make an awesome “oven”

Sprinkle salt onto eggplant and let it sit for a few minutes, rinse; takes out the bitterness

• Big Mama Pain says:

Also good for cleaning up oil on the floor; sprinkle and let sit (this also makes it less slippery), then sweep it up.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Also, if you have something really burned onto the bottom of a pot, boiling a mix of water and kosher salt helps free it.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Add to ice water bath to chill champagne/white wine (or anything else) faster

15. JulesNoctambule says:

If you drop a raw egg on the floor/counter, cover it with table salt and let it sit a few minutes before trying to clean it up. The salt helps dry it out and makes cleaning much easier.

16. Promethean Sky says:

My favorite unorthodox salt use… for customizing boiling/freezing points of liquids for a crude but accurate temperature controlled heat/ice bath in chemistry. Yes, I am a dork.

17. nobodyman says:

“Salt is apparently a natural odor absorber, especially in a vinegar solution.”

Yeah I’m gonna call B.S. on that one. I love Poore Brothers Salt&Vinegar chips but my wife would disagree about their supposed odor-absorbing properties.

18. Tim says:

“Like the time I sold my house to a nice young couple, and I salted the earth in the backyard so that nothing living could grow there for a hundred years. You know why I did that? Because they tried to get me to pay their closing costs.”

19. slimeburg says:

Angelina=good

20. OnePumpChump says:

These are the douchebags who convince your state or local governments that salting the roads is a good idea.

21. lyllydd says:

Baking soda + salt + hot water + tinfoil = the best, quickest way to clean silver that I have ever seen.
    Put a piece of tin foil into the bottom of a dish pan. Add a teaspoon of salt and a couple of tablespoons of baking soda. Fill with hot water. Place tarnished silver on the tin foil – but make sure the silver pieces don’t touch each other. Fun with kitchen science, and beats the heck out of spending the whole afternoon with a jar of silver polish. Works for flatware, silver jewelery, you name it.
    Swiped from Jill Poitvin-Schaff’s Green Up Your Cleanup.