Two Delicious Worlds Collide With Red Velvet Fried Chicken

San Francisco continues to confound us… On one hand the city is trying to take all the happy out of Happy Meals; on the other hand, it’s the same place you can now order up a plate of fried chicken coated in a red velvet cake batter.

The culinary curiosity is now available on the menu at San Francisco’s American Cupcake, where the general manager says “It has the classic red velvet flavor with a hint of vinegar, cocoa and sweetness.”

To make the dish, the brined chicken is first dunked in the red velvet batter before receiving a second coating of toasted red velvet crumbs. Once it’s been caked-up properly, it’s into the fryer and onto your plate.

And because red velvet cake is incomplete without cream cheese frosting, the chicken is served with a side of cream cheese infused garlic mashed potatoes.

If anyone in the San Francisco area decides to give the red velvet fried chicken a shot, we’d love to hear your opinion.

When dinner met dessert: Red velvet fried chicken

Comments

1. tbax929 says:

I try to be open-minded about food, but that sounds horrible to me. Each of these items is fine on its own, but I can’t imagine combining them.

• denros says:

Honestly, I’ve learned to just withhold any preconceived notions when it comes to fried food. Ever try captain crunch chicken? It sounds disgusting, but served with spicy mustard and a honey ale… it’s insane. Same with fried brie with cranberry sauce. The people making this stuff know what the hell they’re doing.

• craptastico says:

i think the captain crunch is too sweet as a breading. there’s a place near me that serves it and you have to drown it in honey mustard or it’s waaay too sweet

• denros says:

Honey mustard might be the problem… spicy creole style mustard is WAY better. the paprika cuts some of the sweetness. Also, if you bread the chicken with JUST captain crunch I agree, which is why I use fiber one and captain crunch blended (I’ve made it several times). I also pan fry and then bake mine, but that’s another topic.

• Captain Walker says:

Beef flavored q-tip?

2. blag says:

My God that sounds good!

As for banning Happy Meals, just more prohibitionist bullcrap. Won’t do a damned thing to fix childhood obesity. I’d recommend all people, and all parents read Skinny Bitch instead!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I really want to try it! It sounds like a delicious combination. Salty chicken with sweet fried batter. It reminds me of sweet potato fries. The potato is sweet but the oil gives it a little saltiness and then you put a little salt on top. It’s a magical combination.

3. JCH4H says:

I don’t care if it’s coated in cake……. This looks AWESOME.

4. Moongirl55 says:

Recipe, please!!!
    Best thing to come along since the Bacontini.

• FatLynn says:

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

The recipe seems to be already in the article …

1: Buy 2 boxes red velvet cake mix.
      2: Prepare 1 box of cake per instructions including baking; let cool, turn into crumbs, toast crumbs lightly in oven.
      3: Prepare 2nd box, stopping immediately before the part where you bake it.
      4: Dip chicken into batter, roll in crumbs, deep fry until delicious.

• Moongirl55 says:

MMMmmm
        Moongirl, uncareful reader that she is, apparently missed the recipe. Thanks raydeebug!

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Well, that was a very simplified recipe; they probably add a few things to make it less sugary/savory, and the chicken is marinated in something probably like vinegar and salt to help offset the sugary cake batter.

• cortana says:

Except that red velvet box cake mix just uses food coloring, not natural cocoa to get the proper red color and flavor. Don’t be fooled by betty crocker. She doesn’t do it right.

5. Angus99 says:

Order two, slap them together with a bacon chocolate layer in between, and you have the new Double Down. KFC, you got served.

6. AbsoluteIrrelevance says:

I can’t wait to try this. I’m actually really excited about it and I don’t even really like Red Velvet cake. I will go this weekend and report back. I didn’t see any reviews for it on yelp last time I looked.

7. LD says:

That sounds perfectly vile.

8. D0rk says:

This actually sounds tempting, but keep the potatoes. Those do not tempt me to overcome my distaste for mashed potatoes.

9. mythago says:

Look, I know you guys live in NYC and the idea that there is anywhere else in the world is kind of confounding…but maybe I can explain it this way.

1) San Francisco is ALL ABOUT THE FOOD. Seriously. If the SF Board of Supervisors tried to require restaurants across the board to serve “healthy choices” they would be tarred and feathered (mind you, it would be repurposed, low-emissions tar and feathers humanely gathered from free-range chickens, but still).

2) San Francisco is NOT A HIVE MIND. People actually do not all agree with concepts like ‘no Happy Meal toys’, and sometimes Politician A will propose an idea that Politicians B and C (and their supporting voters) disagree with.

• ChungkingXpress says:

cheers to all that…this town isn’t nearly as insane as the rest of the country thinks it is…

10. Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

WANT

11. Jurassic says:

The general manager needs to pull his head out . . . “It has a classic red velvet flavor . . . ” News flash, red velvet is not a flavor, it’s a TYPE of cake. Orange is a flavor, strawberry is a flavor – but red velvet is chocolate cake with (normally) cream cheese on top.

• Daemon Xar says:

That’s almost right.

Real red velvet cake is devil foods cake made with buttermilk and vinegar (the combination of which, when added to REAL cocoa powder, not swiss-processed cocoa powder, turns red). Vinegar and buttermilk add a distinctive flavor, so a red velvet cake shouldn’t just taste like devil’s food. If you think it does, then you have probably just had boxed red velvet, which is devil’s food + red food coloring.

12. erinpac says:

That sounds like it is begging to be a 4th of July dish….

13. youbastid says:

I just happen to be traveling to SF this weekend and will do everything within my powers to try this!!!

14. chucklesjh says:

Traditional Red Velvet is NOT supposed to have cream cheese frosting….in my opinion, cream cheese ruins it.

• richcreamerybutter says:

True, but that’s the least offensive part. Traditional red velvet cake was red because of a reaction between non-Dutch processed cocoa (which was more prevalent in the old days) and acids in the buttermilk and vinegar. Now it’s all about dumping a disgusting amount of red food dye in the recipe. I admire those who try to use beet juice as an alternative, but what’s the point? I refuse to make it.

• buggurl says:

Thank you! Cream cheese frosting is most definitely NOT the traditional frosting…a white, 7-minute style is supposed to be the original type of frosting.

15. Rhinoguy says:

Y’all sure this wasn’t invented in the south? Sounds like deep fried Twinkies and Snickers bars. With protein!

16. TuxedoCartman says:

SON OF A….!!!! I was just IN San Francisco!!! Had I known… damn!

17. HogwartsProfessor says:

I would eat that. I would. I love red velvet cake, mashed taties and garlic and fried chicken.

18. BytheSea says:

Oh, American Cupcake. Putting back on the 500 calories I lost hiking up the hill to my apartment every day.