JetBlue Flight Attendant Curses Out Passenger, Uses Emergency Slide To Exit Plane And Run Away

Imagine this sight: Your JetBlue flight has just touched down at your destination when a flight attendant takes to the public address system, drops the F-bomb, pops the emergency door and exits the plane via the emergency slide. We’re really hoping someone out there has video footage of this incident that went down at JFK Airport today.

The flight from Pittsburgh to NYC had just arrived when the attendant found himself involved in a verbal altercation with a passenger.

Here’s how the NY Times describes the scene:

One passenger got out of his seat to fetch his belongings from the overhead compartment before the crew had given permission. [The attendant] instructed the man to remain seated. The passenger defied him. [The attendant] approached and reached the passenger just as he pulled down his luggage, which struck [the attendant] in the head.

After his request for an apology was answered with profanity by the passenger, the attendant took to the intercom and announced, “To the passenger who called me a motherfucker, fuck you… I’ve been in the business 28 years. I’ve had it. That’s it.”

That’s when he popped open the emergency exit and slid down to the tarmac. He then went inside, ripped off his tie and hopped on the AirTrain monorail to the JetBlue parking lot.

According to the Wall Street Journal, he also managed to swipe a few beers from the plane’s galley on his way out.

The attendant, 39, was arrested at his home and charged with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.

JetBlue is, of course, taking this seriously and helping the FAA with their investigation. However, said the airline in a statement: “At no time was the security or safety of our customers or crew members at risk.”

Flight Attendant Uses Emergency Slide to Escape Dispute [NY Times]

Fed-up JetBlue flight attendant drops intercom F-bomb, screams, ‘I’ve had it,’ bolts plane [NY Daily News]

Flight Attendant Pops Emergency Chute, Escapes Plane at JFK [WSJ]

Thanks to SteveDave and Howard for the tip!

Comments

1. MaliBoo Radley says:

Totally, incredibly awesome. If I ever lose my shit publicly, I hope I can do it in a similar fashion.

Hooray for the crazy!!

• RyansChestHair says:

I

• DriverB says:

Have to agree. It’s wrong, but I thought, ‘go on dude!’ and laughed at my desk.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

No doubt. So many times I’ve thought “Fuck this noise, I’m out!”, but I’ve never done it. I applaud him for going through with it.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I haven’t laughed that hard all day. I agree. If I was going to just go nuts in public, I hope it’s in a funny and yet weird way. You never know with people, though. I’m glad this is a “haha what a crazy person” kind of mental break and not a “holy crap he’s got a gun” kind of mental snappage.

• SunnyLea says:

Right!

Man, the number of times I have *dreamed* of exiting a job this well.

• proscriptus says:

I’ll kick in $5 for his defense fund. Let’s call it the “Take this job and shove it” fund.

2. ajlei says:

I’d be pissed too if someone smacked me in the head with my luggage and didn’t get any sort of apology for it… probably not “fuck you all!” pissed and jump off the damn plane. It’s kind of comical, actually…

3. NightSteel says:

Breathtakingly stupid move, but you’ve got to give him this: He had the balls to walk (jump?) off the job in style.

• NightSteel says:

Thinking about it, I don’t really understand it. Maybe the attendant had had a really crappy day or something, which we haven’t heard about, but if it’d been me, I would’ve called the airport cops and had him detained, fined and charged for assault and failure to follow a flight attendant’s orders. Aren’t the penalties for that pretty stiff?

• Conformist138 says:

Maybe he already figured there would be blog posts all over the next day “OMG! Evil flight attendant arrests man for getting his own carry-on!”

I think I get it- airline jobs are just awful. Imagine flying everyday, but all the annoying people you see around are now YOUR job to deal with. Yeah, 28 years later I’d be racing to the nearest emergency exit, too.

• FaustianSlip says:

That’s what I was thinking. I mean, props to this guy for leaving on his own terms (if I’d been one of the passengers, I would’ve been laughing my ass off), but the best revenge would have been having the po-po meet this guy at the door; if he was asked to sit down and refused in a belligerent fashion as described here, I think that would have been justified. Of course, I’m not in the airline industry at all and the whole leaping out of your seat to wrestle your 90-pound carryon out of the overhead before the seatbelt lights are off thing is one of my biggest flying pet peeves, so I may be biased.

4. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

How has he been in the business since he was 11?

Also, from what I have read, here is his mySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nycflyer71/

• danmac says:

That’s pretty depressing…as of right now, the myspace page talks about how much he loves flying and the lifestyle associated with it. I’m not sure that’s in his future.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

His page states his orientation as gay, which might explain his actions. Straight people can’t pull off such a dramatic and fantastic stage exit like that.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

had the same thought… but maybe he lopped one digit off his real age (i.e. he’s 49?)

• ThaKoolAidKid says:

18 friends, I guess everyone did leave MySpace.

• Intheknow says:

Ewww, he’s from my hometown.

5. tbax929 says:

Jet Blue is so great that even their angry flight attendants are better than anyone else’s!

This sounds like a George Costanza move… I would KILL to see a video of this!

Fantastic!

6. Cyniconvention says:

I wouldn’t take too kindly being nailed with a bag and only getting cursed at either.
    But the retaliation and exit strategy was sort of comical.

7. Amnesiac85 says:

Maybe not handled in the best of ways, but this attendant sounds fairly epic. I dub this as win.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The attendent has some good leeway to get the passenger in major trouble for disobeying a flight crewmember. I would have used that clout for my revenge, not making a ridiculous – yet hilariously awesome – sign off and exit.

9. RubyRedJess says:

LOL, I love the photo. I almost spit my water out.

10. smo0 says:

I hope to exit my job with such extremism.

+1 for the hero

I don’t care who you are or where you work, never take shit from unruly customers.

11. JMILLER says:

I am not saying he should have done what he did, but I understand. The passenger who stood up should be banned from flying in this country. Put the shit bag on the do not fly list. If the plane lurched and he hurt somebody else the airline is responsible.

12. unchainedmuse says:

This has “win” written all over it… like Chuck Norris level win!

13. MercuryPDX says:

Perhaps the blow to the head is to blame for his temporary loss of sanity….

[probably not]

• buckeyegoose says:

you know what i could totally see him claiming a mental handicap induced by the head blow

• SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

I sure hope he does.

• kujospam says:

Same, I know when I get hit anywhere but in the head I can generally take it. But when hit in the head, extreme anger comes over me, thats extremely difficult to control. Generally an apology would do it the trick nicely though. Although after being swarn at instead of apology i’m surprised the guy didn’t clock him.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Ahhh, the Fred Flintstone “Bang on the head leads me to believe I am a different person” defense. Well played.

14. AI says:

Fired yes, criminal mischief sure, but reckless endangerment will be really hard to prove with the plane safely on the tarmac.

• evnmorlo says:

They throw as many charges as possible at you so that you will take the plea rather than face decades in jail for swearing and leaving your job.

• Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

This.

This is why 90% of people who are charged with a crime take a plea ‘deal’.

Welcome to America, home of the world’s highest incarceration rate, and the world’s largest prison population.

• Guppy06 says:

I can see it. The rapid egress system he popped off is built for speed, not safety. It’s safer than a burning airplane in exactly the same way that airbag deployment is safer than faceplanting your steering wheel: it’s significantly less likely to kill you than what it’s supposed to save you from, but there’s still explosive forces involved.

Besides, his job is passenger safety, from gate to gate. His departure likely left the plane with less crew than the safety laws and regulations require, for the remainder of the “flight.”

• CookiePuss says:

All he has to do is use the airlines own statement “”At no time was the security or safety of our customers or crew members at risk.”

Then he can snap his fingers in a Z motion, rip off his tear-away pants, and walk out the court in his diamond encrusted G-string. Case dismissed!

15. smo0 says:

You ask for too much, I’m surprised they didn’t brand him a terrorist.

• JustLurking says:

No doubt. If a passenger pulled anything even REMOTELY like this stunt, they’d shut down all airports on the eastern seaboard, scramble the F-15s and start diverting flights to Canada.

Can you imagine the charges filed against a passenger?

You know there would be terrorism charges — who knows, maybe even attempted murder charges against the other 150 on the plane, even though most of the time they are bullshit and just used to throw the book at some idiotic drunk who told off a steward(ess) who didn’t like being told off.

16. smo0 says:

You ask for too much, I’m surprised they didn’t brand him a terrorist.

17. Telekinesis123 says:

Well I guess her safety training paid off.

18. ElizabethD says:

Best thing I’ve read all day. I’m with the flight attendant.

19. mrapplegate says:

I agree. The smart thing would been to have the passenger arrested for disobeying instructions from a flight crew member. We have all seen this in the news. Part of me smiles for his “escape” plan.

20. Dalsnsetters says:

Unless there are pics/video, it didn’t happen! LOL….

Seriously, that is like the single most fabulous on the spot resignation I have ever heard of!

21. nicksears says:

This guy deserves a medal. Or a trophy. Or both.

I hope the passenger gets in more trouble than the attendant. Usually people complain about flight attendants being less than amicable…this guy seems level headed despite his pranks.

22. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

While I have no problem with a near naked photo of me being laughed at by the TSA, what I can not stand for is the thought that this was NOT recorded.

Also, I wonder if he will cash in on this like Kevin Smith did and declare himself “To fab(ulous) to fly”.

23. ElBobulo says:

It’s funny and all, but isn’t this an example of how “tightly wound” a lot of flight attendents seem to be? Just one incident away from snapping? What is wrong with the airlines?

• FaustianSlip says:

If I got whacked in the head with some douchebag’s carryon because he was trying to drag it out of the overhead before the flight even stopped, and said douchebag then proceeded to call me a motherfucker, I’m pretty sure I’d snap, too. Of course, I’d snap by having the police meet this dillweed when he got off the plane.

24. Gorbachev says:

So nobody was in any danger, but whenever a passenger does anything even remotely annoying, he/she is removed from the flight for security reasons.

Bullshit.

25. KyBash says:

Flight attendant was hit in the head — there’s no way of telling how much his actions were determined by that injury. Even a minor tap can cause a person to react violently.

I hope the passenger is charged with a constellation of crimes, from endangering passengers to assault.

Flight attendant should also sue his obnoxious ass for causing loss of earnings.

26. Arcaeris says:

I only wish I could make as dramatic as an exit from my workplace. Walking out the front is the best I could do, but popping an emergency door and sliding away? Hell yeah. I could not stop laughing at this story. The guy deserves an award.

27. Mr. Pottersquash says:

oh please. Let him go. he does not deserve jail time, just a nice public “do not hire” and a termination with cause thats penalty enough. They are leaving him no choice but to sue for stressful work enviroment or some nonsense

• Coelacanth says:

Ehh, yeah, because whenever I go to work, I’m factoring the possibility of being hit in the head by an unruly customer.

No, just let the guy go without any additional recourse. No need to blackball him. Granted, his revenge would have been sweeter if the unruly passenger had been hauled off the plane by an arsenal of Feds.

28. Beeker26 says:

Why does he get arrested while the passenger in question refused to obey a request from an attendant and then proceeded to assault him with his luggage (intentional or otherwise, it’s still an assault that resulted from him not obeying) gets off scott-free?

This really isn’t right.

• BStu78 says:

Agreed. I don’t excuse what the flight attendant did (though it was awesome), but the passenger ignored the directions of the flight crew. I’m a little upset that some stories are leaving out that detail. I imagine airport security had something else on their minds at that point, but the passenger should have been arrested himself.

29. sjb says:

Rage quit! Somehow seems familiar to me when I told my boss he was a ass; threw my badge at him, said I quit and waked away. Its that one more straw that just puts it over the edge and rational thought does not apply anymore.

30. emax4 says:

Win for the attendant. This is what happens when companies allow customers to abuse their employees. I should have done the same at Dish Network when I was there.

Let this be a lesson to customers who think their entitled to anything and everything. You piss enough people off, they’re gonna quit, and their company won’t find enough people to fill their places. When you whine about prices being so high, take a look in the mirror…

31. Suzie says:

In Czech the word hazel means idiot. I guess this guy lives up to his name. That’s one helluva way of quitting your job though, but not if it gets you arrested.

32. FrugalFreak says:

And we wonder why asking if plane staff is drunk is crazy or wrong?

33. TWSS says:

I was once sitting in the bulkhead row with some self-important bint who whipped off her seatbelt and started to get up to fetch her bag before the airplane had come to a complete stop. There was a lurch and abrupt stop and – bam – she faceplants, HARD, into the bulkhead.

I think I managed to let a brief bark of laughter escape before clamping down on it.

34. Suaveydavey says:

In the words of Lucille Bluth: Everything they do is so dramatic and flamboyant. It just m myself on fire.

35. Emily says:

This is one of those acts that’s technically wrong, but so, so right. A “take this job and shove it” moment worthy of “Office Space.”

36. brinks says:

According to the MySpace page on this guy that SteveDave found, this guy doesn’t drink or smoke. I don’t know how you can possibly be in the service industry and do neither. That anger’s gotta go somewhere. Why not expend it in the most FABULOUS manner possible?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Then why did he take the beer(s)?

• brinks says:

Someone lied on their MySpace page? I’ll never believe it!

I choose to believe that he’s been a flight attendant since he was 10 (his page says he’s 38) and that he stole the beer to properly dispose of it because drinking is BAD.

37. sopmodm14 says:

just glad the passenger didn’t go to detonate a bomb or somehing

38. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

My favorite part about this whole thing is that the guy grabbed a beer (or maybe two beers; reports vary) before he jumped ship. Why the heck not, you know?

39. bon13 says:

given all of the recent ridiculousness on planes — maybe we should have cameras installed to document this stuff — I would LOVE to see this video

40. womynist says:

+1 to this guy for not taking any shit at work. Sounds to me like he was fed up and couldn’t take it anymore. I lost it on a customer when I was 17 and able to just quit a job without notice. I can’t describe how good it feels to tell an asshole customer to go fuck off. Unfortunately, I’ll never be able to work at JC Penney ever again because of that incident. Boo hoo.

41. SalParadise says:

This will make for a great movie, but I wonder if the flight attendant gave any thought about his chances of ever “landing” another job before he made his dramatic exit?

If anything, this incident shows just how much pressure everyone is under these days. Lighten up people! Let’s all just enjoy the ride.

42. pot_roast says:

This guy is my hero, and I think that’s the most awesome way to walk off of a job that I’ve read about in years.

“Take This Job and Shove It.” :D

43. brinks says:

You caught this gem, right:

“NYCFLYER just realized his mood has been “pissy” since Dec 5. Time to update the profile!”

He’s been pissed off for a long time. He was bound to snap

44. sopmodm14 says:

i think the passenger should be responsible he could’ve been reaching to detonate a bomb or something other passengers would’ve jsut seen a person reach onto their bags whilst disobeying FA, and there’d be mass hysteria….on a cramped and concealed aircraft no less

45. Harry_Greek says:

Ugh – more awful customer behavior leading to the service provide getting fed up. Good job you pushy asshats.

46. NydiaGeben says:

The best I quit story in my life happened 21 years ago. … It wasn’t me, though. A co-worker I barely even knew told me he was going to quit.. … Okay, fine. ..
    The next day he doesn’t show up for work. I assumed he gave his resignation to the boss the previous day. But, no. He just never showed up for work ever again. Why he told me he was going to quit, I have no idea. … . … After 3 days, the boss asked other workers where the co-worker was. I said nothing. … This guy just abandoned the job. Poof, gone. … About 2 months later, I got a postcard from the guy. He said he moved to Chicago and found a new job.

47. sopmodm14 says:

if FA had police powers to maintain peace and order, that unruly passenger wouldn’t have made the situation so bad

48. zoumonkie says:

What was the issue? The passenger put other passengers at risk or disrespected the stewardess? Had the passenger been a terrorist providing a diversion this stewardess played into the plan. I’m just saying if there was a real problem this rat would have been the first to jump ship leaving the passengers to fend for themselves.