Jamba Juice To McD: Suck On Our Cheeseburger Smoothies

To fight back at McDonald’s jumping in on its smoothie game, Jamba Juice has launched a new line of “Cheeseburger Chill Smoothies.”

Let not your delicate stomach linings be discomfited, it’s only a parody campaign, a ballsy bit of brand warfare meant to flip off McDonald’s for encroaching on Jamba Juice’s territory.

To thank you for “being in on the joke,” Jamba Juice is also giving away $1 off coupons for their smoothies. But after watching that cheeseburger get pureed, I think they should also throw in a $1 off Pepto Bismol coupon.

Jamba Juice to McDonald’s: You Selling Smoothies is Just as Crazy as Us Blending Cheeseburgers [Fast Company] (Thanks to David!))

PREVIOUSLY: McDonald’s Wants You To Come In For A Drink
McDonald’s Pulls Plug On Planned Smoothie Giveaway

Comments

1. Cicadymn says:

I would assume the main reason for this is because the Mcdonalds smoothies are actually hurting them.

I haven’t tried one yet, I hear the strawberry-banana one is great but the wild berry one is nasty.

• tkates says:

The wild berry one is delicious. It tastes like a smoothie I’d make at home with a little additional sugar.

• smo0 says:

A little? I’m banking on a LOT.

• chefboyardee says:

Here’s the reality: McDonald’s smoothies are full of sugar, and sugar equals calories. In fact, a small strawberry banana smoothie has 210 calories — about the same as a small order of French fries or a medium Coca-Cola. The large smoothie has more calories than a cheeseburger — 330 calories to be exact. And there’s 70 grams of sugar in that one. Wondering where all that sugar is coming from? According to McDonalds’ ingredients list, these smoothies contain sugar from pureed fruits and fruit juice, as well as added sugar. That’s a lot of sweetness for one beverage.

I hate to be a “make my own at home” commenter, but I’ll stick with the fruit and greek yogurt smoothies that my wife and I make at home every morning after our workout.

• bhr says:

Tell you what, you put 6 oz of greek yogurt and a cup of mixed fruit in a blender and tell me how many calories you get. I’m guessing its about 200? More if you use a banana. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they sugar these things up, but 220 calories isn’t exactly a diet killer. In fact, in a recommended 2000 calorie day thats a pretty reasonable snack.

• dolemite says:

210 calories isn’t really that much when considering it’s a fast food smoothie, and the fact a large banana eaten raw can have 100+ calories.

• JohnDeere says:

probably hurting alot seeing as they are free on the side of a $1.00 large coke. so we get 4 free for every family trip to mcdonalds and my wife is the only one that drinks them.

• coren says:

Which is strange given their size v cost and lack of flavors.

• alaron says:

I think the berry one is great.

• Cyniconvention says:

Berry’s not nasty, per se, but SB is awesome.

2. smo0 says:

Good for them! Personally, even if it’s “healthy” McDonald’s does something to make it NOT healthy….

If lettuce was in powder form and microwaved into existance, they’d replace their salads…

3. jiubreyn says:

Love the title, I wish it said “Suck on deez…!” haha

4. Froggmann says:

Personally I just find the whole concept of a Cheeseburger smoothie disturbing.

Although watching this “anti healthy” backlash is kinda fun.

• sonneillon says:

At first instead of cheeseburger chill smoothie I thought it was a cheeseburger chili smoothie and I kinda wanted one.

5. Nathan Oliver says:

I haven’t watched the video (I’m at work, and it’s blocked) but it sounds similar to this one of a “Blenderized Happy Meal” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIA5x4tuuO8

John Green and his brother Hank alternate videos for theire VlogBrothers channel, and John broke one of the rules. The punishment was to blend a Happy Meal, and then eat it (as well as some leg waxing).

6. rbb says:

Funny, but “Cheeseburger in a blender” doesn’t even come close to the original “Bass-o-matic”.

7. ForrestWhitakersLazyEye says:

Uuuuh, Jamba Juice, last time I checked, most of your smoothies weren’t very “healthy”…

• GenXCub says:

This.

I wonder how many people who get their “power size” smoothies realize they could be taking in as much as 1400 calories (I remember the peanut butter one was particularly calorie-laden).

8. hewhoroams says:

I made this before for a friend who had a broken jaw. It wasn’t awful…. it wasn’t good… but it wasn’t awful.

9. lalaland13 says:

I haven’t tried these McDs smoothies yet, and I’m not quite sure I will, ever, but here’s the problem Jamba Juice might be running into: People like me live in the boonies, or at least in a place with no JJs, and thus, if we want a smoothie we have Sonic or McDs or some other place, but not Jamba Juice. I’ve actually only had Jamba Juice once, and while it was quite good, they just aren’t anywhere near where I live or work.

I think Starbucks may have run into the same problem when the Arches started selling coffee-like products. I can’t spit without hitting a McDonalds, but there’s only one Starbucks in about a 50-mile radius.

That said, I like how feisty JJ is being about this.

• haggis for the soul says:

This is true. Nobody I know goes to the mall regularly any more. McDonalds is being smart by bringing all of these different things like lattes and mall-food smothies into one accessible location. They even tried to bring my only reason for ever going to a mall, Chick-Fil-A, in, but their southern chicken sandwich doesn’t even come close.

10. Big Mama Pain says:

Did DD and Starbucks start whipping up cheeseburger lattes when McDonald’s started the McCafe?

11. datamyt3 says:

Parody? What?!?!? You mean I can’t REALLY get a Cheesburger Chill Smoothie?

12. NashuaConsumerist says:

I’m sorry….but I’m actually curious enough to try this if it were real…. I can’t help but try new and weird foods and it’d give me something to talk about, at least for awhile….

13. Phil the Scientist says:

This doesnt seem like an effective ad campaign, it kinda leaves you with the impression that Jamba has gone a little too corporate and lost sight of their focus……which I would think would be delivering really great all natural beverages, not smearing competition.

• GenXCub says:

I felt like it this was a really bad way for JJ to make an impression on people. It tells me that if a Burger place can do something to be a serious competitor to JJ, then JJ must be doing something wrong.

14. MarvinMar says:

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
    Love the CHUCKS at the end there.

15. Duckula22 says:

Gross, ohhh so gross!

16. YdoUthinkURright says:

When is the Double Down Sipper coming out?!